Start by marking “Changing Heaven” as Want to Read:
Changing Heaven

Changing Heaven

Two worlds are intertwined in this hauntingly beautiful story as it moves from Toronto to the English moors and to Venice, Italy. The time frame shifts between present and past, linking the lives of a young Brontë scholar (a woman in the throes of a troubled love affair), a turn-of-the-century female balloonist, and an elusive explorer with the ghost – or the memory – of E ...more
Published September 1st 1996 by Emblem Editions (first published April 1st 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Changing Heaven, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Changing Heaven

Heather Josephine
Aug 24, 2012 Heather Josephine rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Any Wuthering Heights/Brontë fan
Shelves: english
I discovered this book on a sales table at the local bookstore and bought it for the author and the mention of Emily Brontë on the back cover. While I had high expectations for it (Urquhart is one of Canada's finest authors), I was pleasently surprised: the novel not only explores the human experience with beautifully strung prose, but swallowed me up completely to the point of forgetting my surroundings (an unforunate experience while riding a city bus). This is the story of a ballonist and her ...more
Amy
Jan 10, 2009 Amy rated it really liked it
I am still mulling it over in my mind. I am enchanted with the character of the wind and the setting on the moors. The interweaving of the stories, of past and present was a wonderful unfolding. I guess the reason I didn't rate the book higher is that I never fully was able to get behind any of the 4 main characters: Arianna/Polly, Emily, Anne or Arthur (though I did like the solid comfortableness of John). The foreword starting "she wants to write a book about the wind, about the weather" capti ...more
Andrea Fluty
Jan 02, 2017 Andrea Fluty rated it did not like it
I only made it to page 67. Urquhart is a very talented writer, but I could not stay with this one.
Julie
While I enjoyed the lovely writing, the rest of the book, particularly the plot just didn't connect to me. I couldn't get into the book, never being able to fully warm up to the story and its characters.

The writing was beautiful and poetic. It was what kept me reading, and at times what had me lost n the book. Unfortunately, the rest of the book didn't work out well for me. It wasn't bad story, it was a unique ghost story, but I never connected to it. Ann's story didn't work at all for me, and I
Samantha Adkins
Aug 12, 2012 Samantha Adkins rated it it was amazing
For book two of my Canadian Book Reading Challenge, I decided to read Changing Heaven by Jane Urquhart. I read The Stone Carvers and The Underpainter a number of years ago and was ready to read more by this lyrical writer.

I came into the story blind to anything about it and I’d hate to spoil its charm by giving too much away here. Basically, this book tells the stories of many characters related in some way or another to Emily Brontë. The story is told through several narrators, which I persona
Lorraine
Jun 05, 2014 Lorraine rated it really liked it
Shelves: canadian
I found this book more interesting as I got into it. At first it was somewhat confusing with three main characters - the ghost of Emily Bronte, a female balloonist from early in the 20th century, and a modern-day Bronte scholar. The fourth main character is surprising - the wind. It is unceasing and intrudes into all of the plot events. I thought that was a unique feature of this book, and very appropriate for the Emily Bronte - Yorkshire connection. The stories of the three women became clearer ...more
Lane Anderson
Jane Urquhart's story is set in 3 time periods: 1840s, turn of the century, and 1990s. The ghost of Emily Bronte and the ghost of a balloonist occupy a large portion of the book, which I couldn't seem to reconcile with the otherwise poetic novel.

This novel requires a careful, close reading to appreciate. Arguably, the main character is the wind, or weather. While the dense, cryptic style of writing can cause the story to be somewhat inaccessible, a patient reader will be rewarded.
Leslie
Nov 23, 2013 Leslie rated it liked it
There's a certain kind of reader of Wuthering Heights who falls for Heathcliff, who enters totally into the intense relationship between Heathcliff and Catherine, for whom Heathcliff persists as a kind of fantasy of the ultimate man. I was not that kind of reader. As much as I loved that book and as often as I reread it, I never found the adult Heathcliff anything other than appalling. I suspect that if I were that kind of reader, though, I would have loved this more than I did.
Marina
Jun 14, 2008 Marina rated it liked it
I guess part of growing up means getting kind of bored with portrayals of tumultuous and destructive love. The writing was nice, but most of the plot left me rolling my eyes, and the ghost dialogues got pretty tedious pretty quickly. If I run across another Jane Urquhart book, I won't hesitate to pick it up, but I probably won't go out of my way to find one, either.
Marg
Jun 02, 2007 Marg rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
What a disappointment! Generally I love Jane Urquhart's books, but this just didn't really capture my interest. A neat concept as the story is told by two ghosts, but the central theme is "Wuthering Heights", which I thought was kind of lame. Maybe if I had re-read it before this one, I would have connected with the book more.
Ramona
Aug 22, 2009 Ramona rated it really liked it
From the Toronto Globe and Mail: "Changing Heaven is a deeply moving work, by an author who is willing to test not only the limits of the conventional novel, but also the sensibilities of the reader — a writer able to throw a bridge between past and present, heaven and earth, and to do it with breathtaking skill. Distinguished by haunting imagery, wry wit, and vivid imagination."
David R. Godine
May 19, 2010 David R. Godine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Toronto Globe
J.
Oct 26, 2010 J. rated it it was amazing
Amazing.
Floating, flying through time, earth, air; connecting in altered consciousness and imagination, Ann, Arianna, Emily Bronte, kettling like the migration of hawks; meeting beyond the limits of injustice and harm, centered in a storm.
Deborah Downes
Oct 19, 2012 Deborah Downes rated it it was amazing
Parallel stories linking a turn of the century female balloonist, the ghost of Emily Bronte and a present day Bronte scholar. Both tales felt like a sensual roller coaster ride that left me breathless and wanting more.
Mls3
Jun 16, 2009 Mls3 rated it it was amazing
This was a wonderful novel to read in conjunction with a re-read of "Wuthering Heights". It was my first book by Urquhart, but I think I'm a fan! Anyone else read any of her novels? And what do you think?
Avalee
Nov 05, 2015 Avalee rated it did not like it
Shelves: fiction, canlit
'Got through 120 or so pages and then had to let it drop -- I just couldn't get interested in these characters! I like Jane Urquhart's work, but this one doesn't have the sophistication her later work has.
Steven Buechler
Sep 08, 2010 Steven Buechler rated it really liked it
An interesting looking at how authors/artists etc affect us later in life. The use of ghost and the weather was particular well done.
Mary
Sep 21, 2015 Mary rated it it was ok
Abandoned at page 49. It got more pages read than 100 minus my age but just not what I wanted to read.
Mary-Beth
Aug 14, 2014 Mary-Beth marked it as half-read
This is not a review, okay. I couldn't even start with this book. People don't talk like this. People don't behave like this. I don't want to accidentally pick this one up again.
Chantale
Sep 25, 2009 Chantale rated it it was amazing
Jane Urquhart is my favourite author. This is my favourite book out of her oeuvre. I plan to read it again after I finish Wuthering Heights.
Krista McCracken
Aug 10, 2011 Krista McCracken rated it liked it
I recently re-read this book. I still love Urquhart's writing style but this book doesn't have the same long lasting appeal as some of her other works.
Lin
Lin rated it really liked it
Jan 07, 2009
Shannon
Shannon rated it really liked it
Jun 09, 2012
Chuck Erion
Chuck Erion rated it liked it
Apr 10, 2012
Erin Foster-o'riordan
Erin Foster-o'riordan rated it it was amazing
Mar 10, 2013
Shauna Klassen
Shauna Klassen rated it did not like it
Aug 05, 2011
Sheila
Sheila rated it it was ok
Jun 08, 2011
Jennifer rated it it was ok
Nov 11, 2009
Sharon
Sharon rated it liked it
Mar 09, 2012
Fleon
Fleon rated it really liked it
Jan 04, 2013
  • Adultery
  • A Jest of God
  • Heaven is Small
  • The Secret World of Og
  • Wild Geese (New Canadian Library)
  • Solomon Gursky Was Here
  • Leaven of Malice (Salterton Trilogy, #2)
  • We So Seldom Look on Love
  • The Fat Woman Next Door Is Pregnant
  • You Went Away: A Novella
  • Martin Sloane
She is the author of seven internationally acclaimed novels entitled, The Whirlpool, Changing Heaven, Away, The Underpainter, The Stone Carvers, A Map of Glass, and Sanctuary Line.

The Whirlpool received the French Prix du Meilleur Livre Étranger (Best Foreign Book Award). Away was winner of the Trillium Book Award and a finalist for the prestigious International IMPAC Dublin Literary Award. The Un
More about Jane Urquhart...

“Longing for something that you once had is a mistake because the pictures in your mind are never the same as whatever it is you are longing for.” 14 likes