Start by marking “Fly Away Home” as Want to Read:
Fly Away Home

Fly Away Home

When Amy Alden discovers a nest of goose eggs and brings them home to hatch, the newborns "imprint" on her, following her everywhere, claiming her as their mother. As they grow, Amy and her dad, Thomas, realize they must take on the responsibility of teaching them to migrate for the winter. From Canada to North Carolina, father, daughter, and geese all learn to fly togethe ...more
Published August 18th 2005 by William Morrow Paperbacks (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Fly Away Home, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fly Away Home

Soobin Park
May 23, 2014 Soobin Park rated it really liked it
I already knew this story by watching movie when I was young. It was a great story in my memories, so I also wanted to read the story again by a book. This story is about one child and geese.
The main character, Amy was living with her mom. However, after her mom died by accident, Amy had to live with her father. When Amy saw her father at the first time, she thought that her father was weird. He liked to fly with the airplane which he made by himself. One day, Amy found geese eggs on the ground
Moe Hosokawa
Nov 19, 2014 Moe Hosokawa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
1. Penguin level2

2. 11/16 = 20 minutes ( if I stay = 60 minutes)

3. Amy, father, goose, mother, fly, winter, dream

4. Amy's mother passed away and her life with her father started. however, it was not comfortable for her to live with him. one day, she found goose's eggs. the babies followed her because they thought she was their mother. Amy also brought them up like a mother and helped them to fly.

5. this story was so nice. it is not enough to read this story as a greated reader. I want to read an
Mio Takasaki
Jun 21, 2016 Mio Takasaki rated it really liked it
1. Penguin, level2
2. 06/21=20minutes, 06/22=70minutes
3. eggs, Goose, follow, aeroplane, fly, famous, find
4. a. This story was one parent and child tried to grow geese and move them to warm place.
b. Amy and her dad's bonds were strong after they finished taking the geese to the marsh. She was not getting used to dad because she met him for the first time in ten years and he had a girlfriend.
5. I was moved from this story. Especially, the scene is after dad's aeroplane was broken, he encouraged h
Yuina Kawase
Sep 25, 2012 Yuina Kawase rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
DATE: 9/24
TIME READ:2 hours

NOTES: I was sorry about the character lost her mother. Moreover, her life became worse and worse because she hated her father. I like my father very much because he think about my own feelings. Therefore, I couldn't understand the main character. However, she saw some eggs without their mothers and she helped them. I thought she was full of love. she was thankful! After that, she and her father feed them and spent their lives with their geese. I had feelong that it wa
Chie Akura
Jun 11, 2014 Chie Akura rated it liked it
1. Penguin level 2

2. 6/7=65minutes 6/9=minutes

3. father, goose, change mind, challenge,south,plane,migratory

4. I can see a girl's changing mind through the meeting with many gooses. She often try to migratory with her small plane.However, The state was described again and again so, it was a little boarding for me.

5. I think this story makes my heart warm.However, I think this is just truth story and there are no interesting points so much. That's why, I gave three stars at this book.
Ken Horie

4. Mother goose
5. Aero plane
6. Flying journey
7. South

' "We're near the marsh, geese," I called to them. "You're home." And then I heard something. A sound. Yes, I heard my mum. "Goodbye, my love," I heard her say. "Goodbye, I'm going away...but I'll be back." I smiled and cried.'
When I read this phrase, I also about to cry. The story of this book is condensed in this phrase and also a girl's background adroitly.

This is a heart-warming story o
Momoka Yamaguchi
Oct 01, 2014 Momoka Yamaguchi rated it it was amazing
1. Penguin level2
2. 9/29=30minutes 10/1=50minutes
3. A girl-a father-love-goose-growth-eggs-fly
4. I like this story most. Goose are like human and very pretty. I was impressed with the love. I would like to recommend everyone this book.
Ursula
Aug 31, 2014 Ursula rated it really liked it
10YO girl is very keen to see the movie. Hope it lives up to her expecations.
Naoya
Jun 25, 2013 Naoya rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
1. Penguin readers level 2
2. 120 min
3. 1 eggs 2 goose 3 wings 4 Igor 5 help 6 fly 7 again
4 Have you ever been grow bird or something?
Yes, when I was junior highsool student, a spparow injured by someone, so my parent tried to cure, but after all, a spparow was dead. It was so sad, because I couldn't help.
5. This story is heartful. Mein charactor had mental ill, but goose's egg changed her. She helped goose and was helped by goose. After all, goose should go somewhere to grow, so I think she felt
Leah
Sep 15, 2015 Leah marked it as to-read
Well i heard it is a really good book and i want to read it now
Erina Komaki
Dec 16, 2013 Erina Komaki rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
1. Pengin Readers
Level= 2
2.Time 12/15=60min 12/16=20min
3. 7words summary:girl-father-goose-follow-fly-migrate-winter
4.The main character raised goose. Do you like animals? Have you ever had any pets?
-I like animals, especially I like cats and dogs. I had some goldfish when I was young, but I wanted to have a cat.
5.I enjoyed reading this story. This story was heartwarming story. At first, the main character and her father don't have a good reration ship but they can have it though this occurrenc
Brackberry
Time 1:10:00
Akira Hasegawa
Jul 01, 2013 Akira Hasegawa rated it really liked it
7 words summary
Girl-geese- dad-aeroplane-cold- home- south

Discussion question
Have you ever got your pets?
-I have got two squirrels.
They were so cute. But they bited my fingers many times.

I took 2 hours to read.

I was deeply impressed with this book. They were so kind. If I were her dad, I would do my best for dauther.
Amanda C
Apr 29, 2014 Amanda C rated it it was amazing
Shelves: gracen
My son saw the movie and really enjoyed it. I decided to purchase this book to read to him every night. He would get so excited each night. Wonderful read. I have a feeling we will read it again in the future :-)
Ush
Jan 22, 2013 Ush rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Read this in 99 when I returned to England after a long time, first time I had gone to a library in years. One of the many stories that inspired me to continue writing. Such a beautiful and sweet story.
Mahshid
Nov 27, 2007 Mahshid rated it it was ok
it was ok book.
read it.
Rachel (Sfogs)
Apr 20, 2009 Rachel (Sfogs) rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A nice story.
Melvin Elmapache
Nov 20, 2012 Melvin Elmapache rated it it was amazing
great
Toumanidis
Toumanidis marked it as to-read
Sep 22, 2016
Kevin L.
Kevin L. marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2016
Juan Luis
Juan Luis rated it really liked it
Aug 29, 2016
Daniel Phillips
Daniel Phillips rated it it was amazing
Aug 15, 2016
Allison
Allison rated it it was amazing
Jul 10, 2016
Lang
Lang rated it really liked it
Jul 10, 2016
Sophie Muller
Sophie Muller marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2016
Raul Perex
Raul Perex marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2016
  • Angelina's Christmas
  • Help! I'm Trapped In Obedience School
  • Shark Lady: True Adventures of Eugenie Clark
  • The Wolfling: A Documentary Novel of the Eighteen-Seventies
  • Don't Hurt My Pony (Pony Pals, #10)
  • One Thousand Paper Cranes: The Story of Sadako and the Children's Peace Statue
  • Beatrice's Goat
  • Love Story (Oxford Bookworms Library)
  • Huckleberry Finn
  • Agatha Christie, Woman of Mystery (Oxford Bookworms Library: Stage 2)
  • Anne of Green Gables
  • Walter: The Story of a Rat
  • Karen's Pizza Party (Baby-Sitters Little Sister, #42)
  • Aladdin and the Enchanted Lamp