Knitting Socks with Handpainted Yarn

Knitting Socks with Handpainted Yarn

3.9 of 5 stars 3.90  ·  rating details  ·  120 ratings  ·  8 reviews
Providing technical guidance as well as fun, creative patterns, this resource tackles handpainted yarns, identifying the many challenges—and many opportunities—they provide for knitting socks. Focusing on how to make the most of these much-loved yarns, it explains how to design projects with hand-dyed material versus other types of yarns, how to avoid the pitfalls of pooli...more
Published January 1st 2009 by Interweave Press

To ask other readers questions about Knitting Socks with Handpainted Yarn, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Knitting Socks with Handpainted Yarn

Tonileg
I love knitting socks.
Quick simple two skein (max!) projects that are easy to carry around all my travels around the world and the security at the airport don't give me trouble with my tiny 4 inch double pointed needles like straight needles (yes, I have a story about that!).
So I after buying some random hand-painted yarn in South America and from the Alps, I was ready for some patterns that work with fun brightly colored hand-painted yarn. This is a great book if you like colorful socks. There...more
Ashley
This is a well organized knitting book. Sulcoski explains how handpainted yarn can have a mind of it's own. There are over 20 patterns to choose from- with suggestions on what sort of handpainted may look best (bold- muted- monochromatic). I gave this book, 4 stars because I haven't tried the patterns (They seem clear- and I haven't found too much errata listed) and I've noticed many of the patterns use Koigu (KPPPM)- which I find to be one of the least "pooling" yarns- so I wonder how it will w...more
Heather
Chevy, the sock on the cover, has a *terribly* written pattern, and I've knit, uh, a LOT of socks. Even noting the errata didn't help. Copper Penny is not; it's very good and makes an attractive sock.

The discussion at the beginning of the book is quite useful for those questioning usage of handpainted yarn and how to achieve or avoid certain effects.
Kristine
beautiful sock patterns and great examples of handpainted yarn. I particularly like the following patterns:
-punctuated rib socks
-whirlpool socks (nice use of beads)
-chevvy, I added this to my ravelry queue
-switcheroo socks with nice eyelets
Kelly
This book was worth reading just for the information about knitting with handpainted yarns and matching a yarn to a pattern. I'm looking forward to trying the patterns, too, as they are interesting but not too busy.
Danielle
This book was definitely worth reading once. There are a few really good, innovative patterns, but I was rather dissapointed by most of the patterns. So, since the library has it, I don't need to buy it.
Margit Sage
Haven't knit anything from it yet, but I read through it and it has good advice for choosing patterns for handpainted yarns and avoiding pooling. I'm adding a number of the patterns to my queue.
Martine
great patterns
Cheryl
Cheryl marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2014
Jen
Jen added it
Jun 19, 2014
Alexandra Allen
Alexandra Allen marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2014
Gina
Gina marked it as to-read
May 17, 2014
Jill D
Jill D added it
May 07, 2014
Crystal Miller
Crystal Miller marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2014