The Best American Poetry 2006

The Best American Poetry 2006 (Best American Poetry)

3.64 of 5 stars 3.64  ·  rating details  ·  217 ratings  ·  25 reviews
Billy Collins, one of our most beloved poets, has chosen poems of wit, humor, imagination, and surprise, in a range of styles and forms, for The Best American Poetry 2006. The result is a celebration of the pleasures of poetry.

In his charming and candid introduction Collins explains how he chose seventy-five poems from among the thousands he considered. With insightful c...more
Published September 19th 2006 by Scribner (first published 1990)

To ask other readers questions about The Best American Poetry 2006, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Best American Poetry 2006

Daniel2
It's incredible what passes for poetry now. "Prose poetry" has become an excuse to write like you speak and absolves the writer from having any unique insights or profound observation. If that is an unfair assessment of prose poetry then perhaps it is my own fault for not having made adequate effort at finding the good stuff. Perhaps 2006 was a bad year, but my suspicion is that poetry, prose or narrative or whatever, has been dumbed down by the 20 year old morons that infest the MFA programs in...more
Jacob
Mar 20, 2008 Jacob added it
2006 was two years ago and this book was published then. That is all I can say about the validity of a publication like BAP. There is sooooo much poetry happening on so many levels, throughout this country, let alone this continent, how can one series claim to represent the "best" simply by putting out an anthology? I don't know if poetry is something that should involve words like "best" and "american" and "Billy Collins." 2006 was two years ago and this book was published then.
Brett
anthologies are tough. some i loved, some i hated, few i nothinged.
Jon Reeve
I was horribly disappointed by this anthology in every way.
Tai Harris
Is a collection of good writers written on happier themes about babies, hair and simple everyday experiences. It was refreshing to read a collection that didn’t have me feeling angered or reaching for tissues because it was too much to handle emotionally. One of my favorites is Amy Gerstler’s “For My Niece Sidney, Age Six”. The speaker is credible and knowledgeable she is wise and offers advice on what Sidney will soon experience; the good and the bad of growing up. It illustrates the innocent m...more
Craig
Not my favorite of the best american poetry volumes, but definitely not a bad selection, either.

I was introduced to several poets that were new to me (I absolutely loved Alison Townsend's "What I Never Told You About The Abortion" and will be seeking out more of her work) which is what I look to this series for.

Do I agree with those who say it is ludicrous to select a "best" group of poems each year? Sure. But, at the same time, there is a soft spot in my heart for the series. When I first start...more
Patty
In the fall of 2010, I went with my mom to the Geraldine R. Dodge Poetry Festival in Newark, New Jersey. Attending this festival had been a dream of mine for years and I was pleased that my mom was willing to attend it with me. It was especially gratifying that she had a good time.

I have been a poetry reader for years. I had met Nikki Giovanni in high school and fell in love with her poetry. That meeting helped me to realize that authors are real people and that poetry might be more accessible t...more
Donna
Jun 17, 2007 Donna rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Poetry lovers
Shelves: poetry
Billy Collins was guest editor for the 2006 edition of The Best American Poetry. Given that there are over 7,000 literary and “little” magazines published in English, he probably didn’t read every American poem before making his selection. (Although he may have tried; some of the journals that first published the poems in this year’s collection are pretty obscure.) Strictly speaking, a more accurate title for the book might be “the poems published in 2006 that Billy Collins happened to find, rea...more
Diane
Billy Collins guest edited this book. I am currently reading it. A really great intro by him, about writing poetry. And such a variety of poetry styles, something to steal and try out from many. The order is alphabetical by author's last name so the style changes immensely from one to the next. My favorite so far is "For My Niece Sidney Age Six" about a sort of Pipi Longstocking-type non-conformist child who is loved and understood by her aunt. Guess why I like it? Read on!

But I also like "Lett...more
Paula
Although I disagree with some of Collins's selections for the "best" poems of 2006, I think that, for the most part, many of the ones chosen are, in fact, very good. One thing I did notice is that, even though in his introduction Collins admits that about a third of the poets selected were new to him, many of the names are those of well-known, clearly established poets with whose work I already am familiar. I don't know whether to call that a criticism or not, especially since I'm always looking...more
Michaela
Might be reading this a bit late, but it was on sale at the bookstore (for fairly obvious reasons, as well as a celebration of National Poetry Month) and you can never read too much poetry. Plus, my knowledge of contemporary has to be updated somehow! I'll let you know how it goes.

May: loved reading through this. Obviously some poets appeal to me more than others... I'm starting to get the hang of this anthology business though. The introduction was lovely. Thank you Billy Collins.
I particular...more
Jannett
Next time when you're at the bookstore and you need a little morsel to read...I suggest a few from this collection...namely Refusal to Notice Beautiful Women by Mark Halliday; On the Way to the Doctor's Office by Jim Harrison; Sex Elegy by Terence Winch and Found by Ron Koertge- the best in the book.

Actually, does anyone else out there have stuff by Mark Halliday? I really loved the few poems I've read by him. Would like to find more.
Garrett Zecker
A pretty good collection. It is impossible to read all of the poetry in all of the literary/creative journals that are in existence, however having some texts in one place that can be easily digested without looking at a collection like "love poems for everyone" or something like that... These books are wonderful, and should be read slowly and enjoyed like tea with honey.
Ami
Feb 20, 2013 Ami rated it 1 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2013
I didn't like it halfway through, but I kept thinking that since it's an anthology, I'd find a gem or two. Not really. But then again, I'm not really a fan of the editor's poetry, either. And I most certainly don't "get" this prose poem thing. Um...isn't that just prose?
Crystal
An amazing collection. From the opening poem, I was not disappointed. Some of my favorites included "Verities" by Kim Addonizio, "Our Generation" by Carl Dennis and "Prayer to tear the Sperm-Dam Down" by Charles Harper Webb. i will definitely look for more from these poets.
Cami
Jan 05, 2010 Cami rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: poetry
Didn't 'finish' it. That much poetry is a lot to take in in such a short time frame (library loan), but I don't think you can go wrong reading the Best American Poetry collections.
Georgia
Finally--a book of poetry for happy people! I thought this was a fun, interesting assortment of wonderful short poems. Perfect summer reading for those who want a literary amuse-bouche.
Terry
Say what you will about the series and this volume's place int it, the "Double Abecedarian: Please Give Me" is worth the price you pay for the whole book.
J.R.
Jan 30, 2008 J.R. rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: poetry
Much of the poetry is well constructed, innovative, and really enjoyable. But it's forward by Billy Collins is close to nauseating. Skip it, read the book.
Amy
Jun 20, 2008 Amy rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: poetry
billy collins is a totally hilarious writer - his introduction has been far more enjoyable than any of the poems so far.
Chris Johnston

This is the "Best" of the Best of... Series. I applaud the guest editor Billy Collins on his submissions. N
elise
a lot of great entries. it's good to keep up with what's contemporary.
Erik
Oct 26, 2012 Erik rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: poetry
I loaned this to a student and she never returned it. SIGH.
SmarterLilac
Good...ish poems, even if Billy Collins did pick them.
William A. ("Billy") Collins is an American poet. He served two terms as the Poet Laureate of the United States from 2001 to 2003. In his home state, Collins has been recognized as a Literary Lion of the New York Public Library (1992) and selected as the New York State Poet for 2004.
More about Billy Collins...
Sailing Alone Around the Room: New and Selected Poems The Trouble With Poetry - And Other Poems Nine Horses Picnic, Lightning Horoscopes for the Dead