Small Change: A Life of Tom Waits

Small Change: A Life of Tom Waits

3.26 of 5 stars 3.26  ·  rating details  ·  84 ratings  ·  9 reviews
For more than twenty years, Tom Waits has been the rag and bone man of contemporary music, a singer with a heart of gold and a voice of gravel. His ragged voice and haunting lyrics have enraptured fans worldwide, capturing the tattered hopes and boozy dreams of hard-luck cases everywhere. Small Change, the first biography of this unique performer, tracks Waits from his ear...more
Published September 15th 1990 by St. Martin's Griffin (first published January 1st 1989)

Angela
Was Patrick Humphries high when he wrote this? Was he channeling a particularly abstract Tom Waits song? It just didn't make any sense; and I don't think it's intended to be a post-modern non-fiction piece. Needs a good edit!
Tiah Keever
I really liked it when I read it years ago because I think Tom Waits is awesome. I want to be him when I grow up, or have a dad like him, or have a cup of coffee with him that is not as uncomfortable as the one he and Iggy Pop have in Coffee and Cigarettes, or just sigh dreamily when I think about him. When I stop and reflect I guess one of my past boyfriends had qualities not unlike Mr.Waits, which surely played a role in myself being highly interested in him. The quirkiness, the charisma, the...more
Neil
When I read this book very little was written about Waits so a whole book about our hero was a bit of an event. In hindsight it could be seen as a bit underwhelming but you had to get what you could in the olden days!
Andrew
What this book has which, Barney Hoskyns biography of Waits Lowside of the Road lacks: Humphries litters Small Change with the best Waits lines from interviews and song to indicate the mindset and writing style for different stages of Waits' career.

Besides that, as far as being a biography proper, it pales in comparison to Lowside of the Road, for instance lacking any depth when it comes to notable figures in Waits' life such as Chuck E. Weiss, Rickie Lee Jones, or Waits' family.

As far as biogr...more
Jeb
I'm a huge Tom Waits fan and I was totally disappointed in this biography. It reads more like a puff-piece than a biography and there's very little insight into the man and his music. The only merits it has going for it is a few interesting anecdotes and an amusing collection of Waits quotes at the end of the book. If you're looking for a substantive book on Tom Waits, you won't find here.

Shaun
Any book about Tom Waits is amazing. I heart heart heart him! It reminds me of my senior year of highschool in Hawaii, missing Japan, and discovering Tom Waits!
Leo Jacobowitz
Small Change, small words, small ideas. Reads like an extended Rolling Stone article. Don't bother.
Jennifer Richardson
short and sweet. The pics are worth 3 stars alone.
Evelyn
Jun 15, 2008 Evelyn added it
What can I say, I'm a fan.
Rossdavidh
Rossdavidh marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2014
Valentina
Valentina marked it as to-read
Jan 11, 2014
Angela
Angela marked it as to-read
Nov 10, 2013
Emily Sturgill
Emily Sturgill marked it as to-read
Nov 01, 2013
Jeff
Jeff added it
Sep 09, 2013
Emma
Emma marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2013
Emily
Emily marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2013
Michael Kim
Michael Kim marked it as to-read
May 28, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Nick Drake: The Biography The Many Lives of Tom Waits Richard Thompson: The Biography The Boy In The Bubble: Biography Of Paul Simon Bruce Springsteen