Start by marking “A Posse of Princesses” as Want to Read:
A Posse of Princesses

A Posse of Princesses

3.77 of 5 stars 3.77  ·  rating details  ·  3,014 ratings  ·  303 reviews
A POSSE OF PRINCESSES Rhis, princess of a small kingdom, is invited along with all the other princesses in her part of the world to the coming of age party of the Crown Prince of Vesarja, which is the central and most important kingdom. When Iardith, the prettiest and most perfect of all the princesses, is abducted, Rhis and her friends go to the rescue.

What happens to Rhi
Published July 1st 2008 by YA Angst (first published March 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about A Posse of Princesses, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Posse of Princesses

Alex Fayle
Sherwood Smith’s A Posse of Princesses does something that few female focused YA fantasies seem to do these days. She gives us a smart heroine who isn’t a passive cypher waiting for others to use her and act through her. Nor is the character operating in a depressing, dystopian world against unsurmountable odds. In fact although Rhis thinks she’s a rebellious princess, she’s actually well behaved and rather conservative.

However, despite all that, she’s probably one of the stronger feminist chara
Anne Osterlund
Princess Rhis never gets to go anywhere or do anything. Her only escape from dull tutoring lessons is hiding up in a tower writing ballads about--well--all the things she never gets to do. But then Prince Lios returns to Vesarja and invites “every eligible young lady” to come try her hand at winning his. And Rhis, at sixteen, is off for the adventure of a lifetime.

Mmm. This book is total self-indulgence for any reader who enjoys strong-willed princesses, heroes with great smiles, and an occasion
Lydia Presley
One of my favorite things to do when I was young was go to the library. I loved the crinkle of the plastic covers over the books and the smell of the pages when I opened a book and prepared to dive into its adventures for the first time. I even loved the overly used part of the pages, the fingerprints and stains because those told stories to me in addition to the words that were printed on the page.

One of my favorite types of stories to read were stories of princesses and adventures. What little
Monica!
If there was any doubt in my mind that Sherwood Smith was a bold woman, it was obliterated as soon as I realized that clearly she said, “Hell, my name is already incredibly alliterative… so I’ll make my BOOK TITLE be like that too!” But while I can totally be on board with the very plosive Posse of Princesses, I have to slam the cover.

Because… what is this?

Were the publishers on a deadline and, in at the office on a Friday evening with the final product due by midnight, decided to have one of
TheBookSmugglers
Originally reviewed on The Book Smugglers: http://thebooksmugglers.com/2012/03/b...

Princess Rhis of the small, craggy, but bountifully rich kingdom of Nym lives a charmed but rather boring life.

Though she’s intelligent, Rhis is not the heir to the throne and thus has little interest in learning all the subjects that make a queen (especially not when her stuffy elder sister-by-marriage insists on nitpicking the flaws in Rhis’s attention span and work ethic). Instead, the plain young princess is f
Estara
This was as lovely as I remembered (the ebook has one or two spelling mistakes, but that's it) - I think it's a believable portrayal of a naive princess who hasn't found an outlet for her interests at home but has lots of potential and now finds herself at a house party which opens up the whole world to her.

The growth from silent and love-struck observer to mediator and confidante is believable, even though she is 16. And so the drama she gets into and her angst at having to forego seeing her lo
Keertana
Rating: 2.5 Stars

I believe I got about 100 pages into this book before giving up on it. This wasn't because the writing was bad or the characters were annoying, it was simply because the novel felt far too juvenile for me. Sherwood Smith's Crown Duel Series have been receiving some remarkable ratings and seems to have been marketed towards teens and adults, which is why I thought I'd give one of her other novels a chance while I could. However, A Posse of Princesses is a more middle-grade sto
Sherwood Smith
Jun 17, 2009 Sherwood Smith added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-books
Posse has been polished, and a new chapter added. Look for the spiffed version in e-book form.
Kit
I don't know why, but I'm a sucker for books, like The Riddle-Master of Hed, where the royals turn out to be normal everyday joes who know how to do their own cooking and grew up playing in the creek with the kids who grew up to be their advisers. A Posse of Princesses is in the same vein, and I think that's why I liked it. The teenaged princes and princesses of various vaguely-medieval-with-magic kingdoms meet to form alliances (and marriages) and get to know each other, at which point they act ...more
Greymalkin
Feb 13, 2011 Greymalkin rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: tokenfemalegamer
Shelves: ya-fantasy
Skye
Okay, so I admit this wasn’t much of a challenge for me to read, since this is the kind of stuff I lap up with a spoon. I mean c’mon, prince and princesses, castles…magic diamonds. Now, wait! Don’t run, this isn’t a cheesy version of Princess Diaries 2 (although, if you must know I liked that fluff film.) This is an adventurous take on some prince and princess clichés.

Up until now I had only read Sherwood Smith’s Crown & Court Duel, but that was enough to cement her into my list of favorite
Li
This was a reread for me - after reading Thea's review at The Book Smugglers, I was tempted into buying the revised e-version (with an extra chapter) and had no regrets.

This felt a bit like a high school story translated to a fantasy setting, with cliques, bullying, and secrets galore - however, Sherwood Smith pulls it off and I loved how Rhis and girl-power came to the fore. And I really liked how the HEA in this book was a realistic one for a story where the main protagonists are teenagers. Th
Denae Christine
This book didn't flow well. The first half had a sedate pace (which would be fine if it felt consistent) and was well thought out with good dialogue and okay mystery and court intrigue. The second half of the book rushed by and felt completely disconnected. Too many random and pointless events! And the inciting incident mentioned in the blurb (kidnapping) happened halfway through the book.
Random is not okay. (view spoiler)
Sherwood Smith
Dec 18, 2010 Sherwood Smith added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
This is the e-book edition, which has been smoothed from the book edition, and also a new scene added near the end.
Melissa
Honestly, I feel that the blurb was deceiving. I was expecting a story about the adventures of a posse of princesses. You know, chasing after one of their own. Using their own power and resources. Girl power!! Yeah, the whole abduction thing? It really wasn't that important. In fact, I think the book would have been better if it was left out completely.

Don't get me wrong. I enjoyed the book. I just think the whole "abduction" scenario was thrown in to make this book into an action/adventure sto
Kenzie
3.7

This was an enjoyable read, and far preferable to some of the other silly books I've read over the years. I can't help but confess though, that I am a little disappointed.

My qualms:
1. I found it hard to believe that some of the characters were around the age of twenty; everyone felt still to be high school age, and even that felt a little ditsy at times. However, I was able to feel and understand the vision the author had in mind and suspend a bit of disbelief and excuse those shortcomings.
Darla
(Genre:Teen fiction/fairy tale) I really liked this book! It is the story of the young princess Rhis (age 16) who lives in an isolated mountainous kingdom. When she gets invited to a party/trip/vacation to meet Prince Lios (of a distant kingdom) and many other young royalty near her age, she is very excited. Rhis is of a more romantic nature and upon seeing the handsome prince Lios, she immediately falls in love. Fortunately, Rhis is not just romantic, but she has a number of more helpful traits ...more
Treasa
When Rhis, a princess of Nym, is invited to a party for the prince of a nearby kingdom, she has no expectations other than to have a good time. There she meets many princesses and princes and becomes great friends with some. She also meets the prince's scribe, who quickly becomes one of her best friends. When one of the princesses goes missing, Rhis and three of her fellow princesses set out to save her. Along the way, they all learn a lot about themselves and the world around them.

I loved this
Sam at A Journey Through Pages
Review from A Journey Through Pages

Something about the title and plot of this book made me not want to read it. It's really quite strange, I can't explain it, but it was one of those books that kept popping up on my goodreads.com recommendations so I finally said screw it and checked it out from the library.

I was pleasantly surprised.

There are really two parts to this book, the introduction of characters and then the growing of these characters. The plot expained up in the synopsis happens in th
Jia Ling Pan
2.5 stars.

I would keep it at 2 stars but I've given 2 stars to books that I've enjoyed less so 2.5 stars it is. It could have been an 'I liked it' book had it not been for a few issues which I can't overlook with this.

This is a story about a privileged yet not unkind princess known as Rhis. Our protagonist comes from a good family (better than most do when coming from any royal lineage) and is in no way in line for the throne; thus she has spent a great many years having her head up in the clou
Christina
9/10ths of this book were vastly fun. Sherwood Smith has always done good female teenagers, as far as I'm concerned, and speaking as someone who was more of the "let's go have an adventure and do stuff" type girl than the "oh god I'm in love" type girl so common in adolescent fiction (I'm looking at you, B---- S---). First runner-up in the Miss I-Couldn't-Relate Pageant: the girl burdened with terrible trauma who copes with it poorly (more common in contemporary fiction than fantasy). I had a go ...more
Anna
3.5 rounded up. A fun romp, but not terribly original. I guessed what was up almost as soon as Rhis got to the party. A little too much time spent on frivolity to really believe in the serious background the author kept hinting at. But the main characters were just so darn nice I couldn't help rooting for them which is what gets it the extra star.
rissabean
Ok this book is about a princess who is invited to the coming of age party for prince Lois. There are lots of princesses invited but only one will the prince choose. She learns a lot about love and friendship.
The story has a neat twist to it that I really enjoyed. (even though I find it out almost right a way) it was still fun to read.
I did not like the ending as well( like the letter trying to speed up five years) but I liked how they had to wait the five years so they would be more mature. It
Sarah Searle
One of the reasons I really liked this book is that the main heroine is a strong female lead without being the cliche tomboy princess, or the prettiest in the land, or the smartest or most talented, or even the most heroic. She's worlds more relatable than most of my favorite leads of this genre, and I think it's a greater story for that. I loved how the other characters picked up those more typical princess roles, but in a tasteful and fun manner. Such a great cast of characters!

My only disappo
Alexa
*** I wrote a nice review of this book and the internets ate it. Let this be a lesson to you all! ***

I enjoyed how the author portrayed teenage relationships. She made them feel real and not really childish, but allowed the characters to make the common mistakes people do when they're young in order to show their growth.

The conclusion was quite nice, though the main character seemed to act overly dramatic which had not been her tendency before in the story. The letters were a great way to tie up
Whitney
This is a delightful YA adventure with great elements of romance. One of the things I appreciate about Sherwood Smith's writing for young adults is that her heroines are plausible, ordinary young women with more can-do-it attitudes. Another thing I appreciate is that in her books the romance is sweet, awkward at times, humorous and frustrating. Just like in life. Most of her characters learn that sheer physical attraction doesn't equal love. And she shows how embarrassing and funny and sometimes ...more
Rebekah
Generally, I'm not too keen on romances. Mostly because they tend to give a warped idea that is hard to shake even when you know in your head that things don't work that way except in the books. But this one's different, even if it did employ some old clichés that I didn't like. It might have been a little didactic (but I don't know if I would have thought much about it except someone mentioned it to me), but I really didn't care - it got it right, finally.

Overall, I liked it. I liked the charac
Lia Marcoux
Stefanie
This is the third book in a row I've read where the author does a great job all through the book - really pulls you in and makes you love the characters - and then totally drops the ending. I imagine she thought she was being clever or was trying to make a point about teenage love, but it really just ruined the book. I was all ready to give it five stars, but that ending dropped it to three.
Carolyn
Well, um. At first I liked it. Then I didn't. A three star for me means I did enjoy parts and I don't regret reading it, but it didn't satisfy me like it could have.

First off, when I first picked up the book I rather enjoyed it. Yes, I kinda wondered when the fun adventure stuff would happen but the pretty normal day to day princess drama was entertaining enough.

But this overwhelming feeling that the author really HATES (with some serious passion) teenagers just kept bashing me over the head in
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Mar 17, 2015 02:30PM
  • The Runaway Dragon (Runaway Princess, #2)
  • The Extra-Ordinary Princess
  • Fortune's Folly
  • The Phoenix Dance
  • The Dream-Maker's Magic (Safe-Keepers, #3)
  • Exile (Aurelia, #2)
  • A True Princess
  • The Swan Maiden
  • Secondhand Charm
  • Magician's Ward (Mairelon, #2)
  • Violet Eyes (Once Upon a Time Fairytales)
  • The Swan Kingdom
  • The World Above
  • The Decoy Princess (Princess, #1)
  • The Seer and the Sword (Healer and Seer, #1)
I am a writer, but I'm here on Goodreads to talk about books, as I've been a passionate reader as long as I've been a writer--since early childhood.

I'm not going to rate books--there are too many variables. I'd rather talk about the reading experience. My 'reviews' of my books are confined to the writing process.

More about Sherwood Smith...
Crown Duel (Crown & Court #1-2) Court Duel (Crown & Court, #2) Crown Duel (Crown & Court, #1) Inda (Inda, #1) Wren to the Rescue (Wren, #1)