Start by marking “Amor en tiempos tristes” as Want to Read:
Amor en tiempos tristes

Amor en tiempos tristes

3.48  ·  Rating Details  ·  719 Ratings  ·  31 Reviews
En la plácida existencia de un joven director de cine y vídeo que acaba de mudarse y cuya mujer espera un hijo reaparece un amigo de correrías juveniles que sigue llevando una vida desenfrenada; un hombre decide vengarse del amante de su esposa acostándose con su hija; un taxista indio integrado en la sociedad inglesa descubre que su hijo se ha convertido en un islamista f ...more
Published April 28th 1999 by Anagrama (first published January 1st 1997)

Charlotte
This gets five stars just for "The Tale of the Turd." It's Kureishi's leitmotif: "I am, to my surprise, 44." Here's his standard middle-aged rant, the guy whose profession is failure, involved this time with an 18-year-old girl. He is invited to her somewhat severe parents' house for dinner and realizes, all of a sudden, that he has to take a crap. "I sit down concerned they're gonna hear every splash but it's too late: the knotty little head is already pushing out, a flower coming through the e ...more
Gregor Samsa
Feb 02, 2015 Gregor Samsa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Soubor smutných přiběhů o lásce nebo o něčem, co by se pod její definici snad ještě mohlo schovat.

-----

„Jenže kdy, kdy? Vance mi to říká pořád, ale já vím, že k tomu nikdy nedojde!“ Karen pozorovala svého syna, jak dovádí na zahradě. Začala si cuchat vlasy.
„Nejhorší manželství nejsou ta, která člověka dusí nebo ve kterých se projevuje násilí. A dokonce ani ta nejkrutější. S tím vším se totiž dá něco dělat. To by bylo moc jednoduché. Nejhorší jsou ta, o kterých prostě jen víš, že k nim nemělo doj
Wwmrsweasleydo
I love My Beautiful Laundrette and Buddha of Suburbia so I was expecting a lot from this book. That said, I have trouble with the short story form. I know how much story can be written in a few thousand words, but short stories tend to sacrifice plot and rely on rambling descriptions instead. This collection was particularly bad for that.

I nearly gave up on it altogether because of the weighting of meandering tales of unlikable, selfish, adulterous, self-medicating, unsatisfied middle-aged men
Nazish
Hanif suffers from an OCD with London, his mercurial style of living and everything eccentric in between. He's torn between the normality of life and his tendency for the whackadoodle assortment of feelings and characters. The result is a narrative that is straight, confrontational and bawdy. Out of ten stories, half of them enthralled me to the point of jacking off and the rest of them were either trash or just too outright shiny in their brilliance for this lunkhead. The first two stories in, ...more
Karen
Feb 20, 2014 Karen rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Has flashes of a talented writer but they are woefully extinguished by the sub-Martin Amis pastiche of would-be louche sexuality which simply comes over in the end as schoolboy fantasy.
Mayee
Jun 14, 2007 Mayee rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
There is something dated about Hanif Kureishi's volume of short stories involving drug-taking protagonists who are over the hill and trying to recover some semblance of dignity in the face of growing disappointment and realisation. A check for the publishing date reveals it to be '1997' -- perfect, the time of Trainspotting, the reign of Suede, the time of the glamour of desolate trash. Philosopher, artist, free-love-types negotiate complicated relationships and feelings of failure and alienatio ...more
Tracy Lynch
cynical and possibly too honest examination of relationships and marriage. For a romantic the stark reality of this collection of stories makes for quite a depressing read.
David
Dec 30, 2015 David rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: vitals
Fitted into my lifestyle & needs at that time in my life aged 34.
Anushree Rastogi
Feb 24, 2016 Anushree Rastogi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Will try to read more Hanif Kureishi. This guy's good.
Isabelle Neale
Short stories about living at the margin but also about when love gets worn out in a couple. Despite the format, the author manages to give density to its stories and their characters. I especially liked Nina and also the revisited version of "the flies", where hell is in the absence of love.
Zane
Jul 22, 2014 Zane rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Stunning!
Lauren Garland
I've been slightly thrown by the bizarreness of the final story in this collection.
Again, I really enjoyed the way Kureishi writes, without really enjoying the stories. A lot of the same themes crop up, infidelity, lust, restlessness, and I never like his protagonists, they're always so selfish and self centred.
A lot of the stories are very funny yet I still finish them feeling disappointed or even a little disgusted.
I still can't make up my mind about Kureishi, yet I bet I'll read more of his
Gillian
Beautifully written short stories of love and the hate love brings.
Paul Grimsley
Jun 27, 2008 Paul Grimsley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
it's a while since i read this but i remember it being one of my favourites as far as kureishi's work goes. a lot of the books are tainted by my memories of the shows that were made from them but these remain preserved perhaps because they have been left alone.
Thomas Strömquist
Really, really liked this one and I definitely think that Kureishi is at his absolute best in the short story format. One or two of the collection is of less interest, but the rest are pieces of great and inspired writing!
Amanda
Aug 18, 2008 Amanda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
For a book whose stories are mostly about middle age men selling their souls for sex and drugs, Love in a Blue a Time reaches right down and touches my soppy-stern heart. This book made me the fan I wanted I wanted to be.
Mips
Dec 03, 2009 Mips rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fictie, 2009
Harde bundel kortverhalen waarin 30-ers en 40-ers geconfronteerd worden met de grenzen van hun vroegere ambities en ontdekken dat het tijd wordt oude dromen en vroegere idealen overboord te gooien... Aaargh!
Emma
Apr 26, 2011 Emma rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found this collection of short stories enjoyable - a real mixture of characters who love a variety of people in different ways. 'The Tale of The Turd' certainly brought a smile to my face...!
Nora
Apr 21, 2011 Nora rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I didn't like this one very much because all of the characters were so terrible. I don't mind characters who are despicable but these ones are particularly noxious with very little respite.
Mary Guerra
Saving grace was the story of the turd. HA!
Mahwish
May 04, 2013 Mahwish rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Melancholic tone with freshness. Not many authors excel at capturing the life's disappointments in such a refreshing way. Loved it
Anna Grohoļska
Jaatzīst, ka autoram fantāzija darbojas, bet tā ir visnotaļ murgaina.
Terry
May 02, 2013 Terry rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
couldn't get into it - too many unhappy middle-aged men in the stories. I didn't like them very much.
Anjali
Feb 12, 2008 Anjali rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
disappointing. maybe 1 or 2 interesting stories, the rest were annoying.
Hana Moualla
Jan 23, 2012 Hana Moualla rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sad - irony mixed with depression and kind of personal apokalypsa.
Alex
Love in a Blue Time: Short Stories by Hanif Kureishi (1999)
Melissa
Aug 01, 2007 Melissa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2006reads
Short stories of raw suburban Britain. Ok read
Magdalena
Good but slightly disappointing.
BasziK
  • Life Isn't All Ha Ha Hee Hee
  • Granta 97: Best of Young American Novelists 2
  • Pappersväggar
  • Forty Stories
Hanif Kureishi is the author of novels (including The Buddha of Suburbia, The Black Album and Intimacy), story collections (Love in a Blue Time, Midnight All Day, The Body), plays (including Outskirts, Borderline and Sleep With Me), and screenplays (including My Beautiful Laundrette, My Son the Fanatic and Venus). Among his other publications are the collection of essays Dreaming and Scheming, The ...more
More about Hanif Kureishi...

“No amount of promises can guarantee love” 19 likes