Start by marking “Born with the Dead” as Want to Read:
Born with the Dead

Born with the Dead

Collection of three novellas.
Title novella: This Robert Silverberg novella was nominated for every major science fiction award when it was released, and won the coveted Nebula and Locus awards. A man's wife is among the rekindled dead now. He's heard that she was on an airplane to Zanzibar with five other rekindled dead. As a "warm" he was not really allowed to make contac
Published December 1st 1984 by Bantam Books (first published June 1st 1974)

To ask other readers questions about Born with the Dead, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Born with the Dead

Nikki
An interesting collection of three novellas. Robert Silverberg's writing style has something understated about it: you don't feel he's wasting any words. The three novellas are not related in terms of their worlds, but they all deal in some way with living with the dead -- in the first, people can be revived after death, like zombies except without the shambling around or the desire for brains, but the process changes their personalities; in the second, people are waiting for the end times, some ...more
Manny
Oct 09, 2010 Manny rated it liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
With the enormous current interest in all things zombie, I'm surprised this book hasn't resurfaced. It's an unusual spin on the zombie idea: there's nothing supernatural, just a medical procedure that allows you to reanimate dead people. The walking dead still have their memories, but they're emotionally different - it's creepy, but in a less straightforward way than is usual in this genre. If you like zombie stories, you might want to check it out.
Clark Hallman
Nov 17, 2015 Clark Hallman rated it it was amazing
Shelves: science-fiction
Born With The Dead (1974) by Robert Silverberg – This is an excellent novella that won the Nebula and Locus awards and was nominated for several other awards in 1974. In this story people who die can be “rekindled,” i.e., brought to life. Of course, rekindling is a very popular process that creates “warm” populations (normal living people) and “cold” populations (rekindled dead people). While the populations of both warm and cold people intermingle to a certain extent, their relationships are st ...more
Sandy
Apr 30, 2013 Sandy rated it it was amazing
"Born With the Dead" gathers together three of Robert Silverberg's mid-career sci-fi novellas into one remarkably fine collection. With a length greater than a short story or novelette but shorter than a full-length novel, these three tales clock in at around 55 to 70 pages each, and all display the intelligence, word craft and abundance of detail common to all of Silverberg's work in the late '60s to mid-'70s. Although subtitled "Three Novellas About the Spirit of Man" on its original 1974 rele ...more
Moira Crone
Jun 17, 2012 Moira Crone rated it it was amazing
I love all the novellas in this collection---Born With the Dead is a marvelous long short story which is also a parable with powerful meaning. The best kind of philosophical sci fi, I was as fascinated by this book as we all are about the concept that something continues and something ceases after life.
Loved it. Inspiring.
Charles
Aug 01, 2009 Charles rated it liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
This is a collection of three novellas, that are losely related. There were some good ideas here but I remember being disappointed badly with the ending of the title story.

Chris Pinkleton
Feb 24, 2015 Chris Pinkleton rated it it was amazing
An amazing collection of novellas by a master of graceful and haunting prose. These stories will have you ruminating on the depths of human suffering long after you have finished them.

"Born with the Dead"= the best undead story ever done. Most zombies and vampires can't hold a candle to the casual evil of the "rekindled".

"Thomas the Proclaimer"= a spiritual prequel to " The Leftovers," but far darker.

"Going"= a profound meditation on mortality and meaning.

These 3 novellas are all masterpieces o
Dogg
Nov 17, 2010 Dogg rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The surprise came when I finished "Born with the Dead" and found 2 other novellas in this little book. The edition also includes "Thomas the Proclaimer" and "Going".

If you are looking for something shorter to read during you lunch hour and breaks this little book will probably meet your needs. "Born with the Dead" won a Nebula Award back in its day.

I found all three novellas written with a very dry sense of humor. In particular, I found "Born with the Dead" left me with a some very important una
Ann
Sep 28, 2016 Ann rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Here are my individual ratings of the three novellas:
"Born with the Dead" 5 stars
"Thomas the Proclaimer" 3 stars
"Going" 4 stars
VAle
preso in biblioteca

Mi aspettavo tantissimo da questo libro, dopo averlo inseguito per molto tempo ed essermi risolta a prenderlo in biblioteca perchè esaurito da tempo. Come spesso accade più grandi sono le aspettative più è facile che vengano disattese. Infatti sono rimasta delusa dai 2 racconti che compongono questo libro, li ho trovati un po' banali e poco coinvolgenti, probabilmente nulla di nuovo neppure per il 1975, anno di pubblicazione dell'edizione originale.
Tutto sommato solo due buone
Anika
Aug 21, 2012 Anika rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi, short-stories
Three short stories that dealt with death in some future way. The first short story reminded me a bit of Rainbows End, that I wound up reading it immediately after. The 2nd story was a religion/cult story told of the viewpoints of several people. Some of it akin to news eyewitnesses. Reminded me of Stranger in an a Strange Land (which I didn't really like). I'm blanking on the 3rd story, which means it didn't remind me of anything.
Jim
Aug 15, 2007 Jim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes an odd take on love
Shelves: read-sci-fi
I hadn't read much science fiction when I discovered this little book, which I still own. I only even read the first two novellas - I couldn't get into Thomas the Proclimer - but the haunting title novella is worth the four stars on its own. It's about a world where the dead are "rekindled" and go on to 'live' in cities of the dead with their own kind and of one man who cannot cope with the loss of his wife to this half-life.
Adrik
Sep 04, 2015 Adrik rated it it was amazing
Some people call it a "zombie" story. But to me Silverberg's "rekindled" offer a much closer analogy with the vampires, in the sense that became fashionable in the 1980s with Anne Rice for example: beautiful people that were reborn and got elegant, subtle, serene, aware... cool.
Rick
Sep 11, 2010 Rick rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2010
Warren Nelson
Warren Nelson marked it as to-read
Sep 25, 2016
Cambria
Cambria marked it as to-read
Sep 06, 2016
Christie
Christie marked it as to-read
Sep 04, 2016
Ria Potter
Ria Potter marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2016
Georgia Ball
Georgia Ball marked it as to-read
Aug 31, 2016
Katrina
Katrina marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2016
David
David marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2016
Dennis Fischer
Dennis Fischer rated it really liked it
Aug 23, 2016
Robert Dietze
Robert Dietze rated it it was amazing
Aug 22, 2016
biltung
biltung marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2016
Ayla Malcolm
Ayla Malcolm marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2016
Davide Zoia
Davide Zoia rated it liked it
Aug 14, 2016
Zsófia
Zsófia marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2016
Sam Arnold
Sam Arnold rated it really liked it
Aug 07, 2016
Laura marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2016
Due diversi scenari invitano ad una riflessione sulla morte e sul morire 1 2 Oct 29, 2014 10:57PM
  • Times Without Number
  • A Dream of Wessex
  • Warm Worlds and Otherwise
  • The Last Starship from Earth
  • The Left Hand of the Electron
  • A Touch of Strange
  • Empire Star
  • Hello Summer, Goodbye
  • This Star Shall Abide (Children of the Star, #1)
  • An Old Captivity
  • Red Shift
  • Victory on Janus (Janus, #2)
  • Telempath
  • The Men in the Jungle
  • Emprise (The Trigon Disunity, #1)
  • The Flight of the Horse
  • Fun with Your New Head
  • Lord Darcy  (Lord Darcy, #1-3)
Robert Silverberg is one of science fiction’s most beloved writers, and the author of such contemporary classics as Dying Inside, Downward to the Earth and Lord Valentine’s Castle, as well as At Winter’s End, also available in a Bison Books edition. He is a past president of the Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers of America and the winner of five Nebula Awards and five Hugo Awards. In 2004 the Sc ...more
More about Robert Silverberg...