Start by marking “Time of the Great Freeze” as Want to Read:
Time of the Great Freeze

Time of the Great Freeze

Dr. Barnes grasped the microphone so tightly his knuckles whitened..."London, this is New York...It's hundreds of years since the last contact between London and New York!"

"I hear you, New York. Have you been to the surface yet?"

"Not yet. But we're going to go! We hope to visit you, London! To cross the Atlantic!"

For centuries, men had lived miles beneath the ground in ord
Published February 15th 1988 by Tor Books (first published 1964)

To ask other readers questions about Time of the Great Freeze, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Time of the Great Freeze

Lyn
Jul 04, 2015 Lyn rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Almost 50 years before Hugh Howey published Wool Omnibus, Robert Silverberg wrote about a post-apocalyptic world where people lived in great underground silos.

Silverberg’s catastrophe, though, was an ice age.

First published in 1964 by a 29-year-old author (who was nonetheless a recognized talent in the sci-fi field) Time of the Great Freeze is one of his earlier novels. Set a few hundred years in the future, the world has been transformed by an ice age and glaciers have locked up most of the wor
Sara
Aug 22, 2014 Sara rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi-fantasy
I'm putting this on my list as "read" but a re-reading would definitely be in order. I've been racking my brain for awhile, wondering just what science fiction novel my 4th grade teacher read to us in school. I remember I liked it. It was about a time in the future when there was another ice age and everyone lived underground underneath New York City. Then some people came out to go on a journey and that's where my memory stops. Looking through books that fit this description (and were written i ...more
Sandy
Feb 09, 2015 Sandy rated it really liked it
Given that global warming seems to be an almost universally accepted fact of life these days (except by obstinate conspiracy theorists such as my buddy Ron, who also denies that men ever walked on the moon), it might strike a reader as strange to come across a sci-fi novel that posits the advent of a new Ice Age in the early 23rd century. And yet, such is the case with Robert Silverberg's "Time of the Great Freeze," a novel that first saw the light of day as a Holt, Rinehart & Winston hardco ...more
Mya
Jun 24, 2012 Mya rated it it was amazing
I loved it when I read it for the first time when I was 12 and I loved it again reading it ten years later. It is a cute short little book, the science in it is decent, and it is a really quick read. I really enjoyed reading it. If you like post-apocalyptic novels then this might be one for you.
Andrew Mckown
Jul 01, 2008 Andrew Mckown rated it liked it
Read this back in High School for fun. It was a fun, quick read that was different science fiction from what I was reading at the time (mostly Star Wars novels and Fantasy books).
Jim
Aug 06, 2013 Jim rated it it was amazing
One of my favorite juveniles. I must have been 10 or 11 at the time and recall being totally entranced with the new world Silverberg created. A great step up from Tom Swift.
Jake
Mar 17, 2012 Jake rated it it was amazing
Read this when I was in middle school and hated most books. But this one was different, I totally got into this world, it was awesome!
Dawn
Sep 29, 2014 Dawn rated it really liked it
I was searching through my shelves for something small to read and came across this book. Which I don't even remember buying actually.

Set in a post apocalyptic world, the Northern hemisphere is all frozen and many live under the ice in large, highly regimented communities. When a group of men from the underground city of New York are evicted, they decide to travel across the ice to the underground city of London. Along the way they meet people who have survived on the surface and enjoy the free
Paul
Dec 28, 2015 Paul rated it really liked it
In the year 2600, Earth has been in an ice age for the past couple of hundred years. Jim Barnes is a teenage resident of New York City, which is actually several miles under the ice. Learning that the ice is starting to recede, Jim is part of a small group that has made radio contact with London. For unknown reasons, London sounds less than overjoyed at the thought of visitors from New York.

The group is forced to quickly turn their talk of an expedition to London into reality. In the space of a
Bob
Sep 26, 2013 Bob rated it liked it
An Arthur C. Clarke-like expeditionary adventure story in an inconveniently glaciated, Reverse-Al Gore world, in the melodramatic writing style of a Hardy Boys mystery, with all the environmental and racial sensitivity of a James Fenimore Cooper frontier epic. That said, it does make you think about climate change on a global scale.
Eric
Feb 28, 2014 Eric rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sci-fi
Young Adult sci fi for the 70's teenager! I still remember pulling this one from the Twin Valley High bookshelves....
Charles
Aug 05, 2008 Charles rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
Silverberg's early books were great adventures. This one has to do with a new ice age.
Jim
Jan 26, 2013 Jim rated it really liked it
The good old days. Back when global warming was global cooling.
Rick Thomas
Jul 08, 2011 Rick Thomas rated it liked it
I wrote a screenplay for this book in the 5th grade.
Patrick
Jan 16, 2016 Patrick rated it liked it
An enjoyable bit of 60's sci-fi pulp that was easy to read and carried the weight of air-popped popcorn. The great thing about writers like Silverberg is that even when they were crafting works whose value was pure entertainment, they did so with cutting grammatical corners.
Sean
Jul 16, 2014 Sean rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-ficttion
Honestly this is a quick easy read. Its shortness makes it better in my opinion and because it is enjoyable its worth the time. Even if you hate it the time wasted would be minimal.
John Simon
Nov 09, 2014 John Simon rated it it was amazing
My first science fiction book. I was mesmerized. To be the first peoples to strike out on their own in a strange new world. This was in the 60's that I read this.
Don
Jan 29, 2016 Don added it
Easy fun read. Written for school age people. However a very interesting Silverberg work.
Bookbrow
Feb 23, 2012 Bookbrow rated it liked it
Kind of by the numbers early sixties sci fi post apocalyptic novel about frozen earth in the future. The characterization is not deep but the story telling, pacing and world building/setting is classic Silverberg, competent in other words. As usual these novels are almost novellas in length and the story could have been fleshed out more. Overall I enjoyed this “slight” novel and the insight of what was to come from the typewriter of Silverberg in the 70s. Oh good reads has this listed as "Time G ...more
John
May 07, 2015 John rated it liked it
Shelves: scifi
1988 grade C
Lostaccount
Mar 26, 2015 Lostaccount rated it it was ok
Disappointing for a Silverberg fan. Weak plot and characters.
Brian Sims
Just finished reading Time of the Great Freeze by Robert Silverberg. Great sci-fi, post-apocalyptic book about the survival of the human race after the next major Ice Age - story starts off where only some major cities have survived, including New York, miles under the surface of the ice; then, a small band of explorers kicked out of the city start exploring the surface after 300 years underground.
Naomi
Aug 19, 2013 Naomi rated it really liked it
If this were a new release I would give it two stars. The setting is only vaguely developed and I found it unbelievable that these seven New Yorkers, however many generations living underground were able to adapt to the surface so easily. This isn't a new release though and I enjoyed the '60s view of a future under ice. Just like the patron who lent it to me said, this was a quick, easy read.
Mark Patterson
Thin as thin can be, but the forward or nothing feeling of adventure is pretty intoxicating.

Plot consists of a band of exiled adventurers passing from one group of people to the next. Silverberg takes a look at humanity's rough spots, and writes with (a kind of unearned) optimism
Frank Taranto
Oct 01, 2009 Frank Taranto rated it liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
Another of Siverberg's YA novels. The world is starting to come out of an Ice age and some people go out on the ice to try and make cotact with other cities that were buried by the ice.
WonderGoon
Apparently, I have an abridgd version.

It wasn't a bad story. A bit short of character development, but interesting nonetheless.
Dan Panke
Apr 27, 2013 Dan Panke rated it really liked it
Shelves: scifi
One of the earlier Robert Silverberg books that I've read and enjoyed.
Sue Bridgwater
Sue Bridgwater marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2016
Paul Doyle
Paul Doyle marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2016
  • Exiles To Glory
  • Beyond the City
  • Earthworks
  • City of a Thousand Suns
  • Retief Unbound (Jaime Retief Series #10)
  • Close to Critical (Mesklin, #2)
  • Midsummer Century
  • Cats In May
  • The Green Millennium
  • Mission To The Stars
  • Harry Potter And The Prisoner Of Azkaban (Film)
  • Journey to the Center (Asgard, #1)
Robert Silverberg is one of science fiction’s most beloved writers, and the author of such contemporary classics as Dying Inside, Downward to the Earth and Lord Valentine’s Castle, as well as At Winter’s End, also available in a Bison Books edition. He is a past president of the Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers of America and the winner of five Nebula Awards and five Hugo Awards. In 2004 the Sc ...more
More about Robert Silverberg...