Start by marking “The Best of Robert Silverberg” as Want to Read:

· Road to Nightfall · nv Fantastic Universe Jul ’58
· Warm Man · ss F&SF May ’57
· To See the Invisible Man · ss Worlds of Tomorrow Apr ’63
· The Sixth Palace · ss Galaxy Feb ’65
· Flies · ss Dangerous Visions, ed. Harlan Ellison, Garden City, NY: Doubleday, 1967
· Hawksbill Station · na Galaxy Aug ’67
· Pas
Published February 1st 1976 by Not Avail

To ask other readers questions about The Best of Robert Silverberg, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Best of Robert Silverberg

Branwen Sedai *of the White Ajah*
"What a cruel and dark place the world is, for all its beauty, all its wonder! We have miracles around us on every side-a spider web is a miracle! But we also have violence, insanity, terrible disease, sudden death. The same Nature that brings us the mountains and the rivers and the green glistening meadows brings us the hurricane, the earthquake, and floods..."

This was an anthology of some of Robert Silverberg's best work, mostly stories that center around time travel, which is just fascinating
spikeINflorida
Nov 23, 2014 spikeINflorida rated it really liked it
Placed in chronological order, the reader has a front row seat to study Silverberg's metamorphosis from a fledgling (stories 1-3) to master author (stories 4-9). Hawksbill Station and Nightwings were so enjoyable that I will be reading their expanded novel length editions. A must read for Robert Silverberg fans.
Mike S
Nov 22, 2016 Mike S rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction-sci-fi
Some of Silverburg's absolute best, ranging from 1954 to 1971. Some of the stories are a little dark but they are all well-written, and some are brilliant. Silverburg is a natural writer, he's just so talented it's a pleasure reading his work.
John
Feb 16, 2012 John rated it it was amazing
Shelves: unfinished, sci-fi
I read this on holiday and didn't have time to finish it - I remember reading the following:
"Road to Nightfall" - a depressing post-nuclear scenario, where people are running out of food
"Warm Man"
"To See the Invisible Man" - a man is punished by being made 'invisible', so everyone must ignore him. An interesting concept.
"Hawksbill Station" - a classic time travel story
Randy
Mar 05, 2012 Randy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: science-fiction
Silverberg is a staple author, his work is clean and devoid of jargon; his ideas are vivid and imaginative. He has the ability to tell a story with much heart just as Ray Bradbury. Here you find some of his best work, of which the favorites of mine are Hawksbill Station, Sundance among others.
Scott Golden
Jan 08, 2014 Scott Golden rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Talent. Like his British contemporary, John Brunner, Silverberg cranked out competent hackwork stories and novels for 15 years, before finally clicking in mid-60's. His Best Of contains some of the best stories of any writer of his time.
TrumanCoyote
Of these stories, the only one that seems to me to be great is "To See the Invisible Man" (although I definitely could've done without that Tarzan-ish last sentence). The rest of them didn't really do much for me.
Robert Walrod
Mar 09, 2015 Robert Walrod rated it liked it
Highlights: "Road to Nightfall," "To See the Invisible Man," "The Sixth Palace," "Passengers," "Good News From the Vatican."
Victor Whitman
Jun 11, 2012 Victor Whitman rated it really liked it
Still think the amazing Silverberg is one of the best story tellers and writers around. This is a collection of some of his best stories up to 1971. Lots of great stuff in here.
Little Miss Esoteric
Silverberg was the master of short stories. These are some of his best. I'll pass on his longer novels though, none of which have ever really impressed me.
Tai
Tai rated it liked it
Feb 07, 2015
Marilyn
Sep 06, 2012 Marilyn rated it really liked it
I still remember bits and pieces of these vivid stories.
Diane
Diane rated it really liked it
Aug 19, 2011
Dirk
Dirk rated it really liked it
Mar 04, 2012
Beppo
Beppo rated it really liked it
Oct 28, 2013
Mark
Mark rated it liked it
Jul 30, 2010
Ryan McArthur
Ryan McArthur rated it it was amazing
Nov 15, 2012
Jüri
Jüri rated it it was amazing
Feb 25, 2012
david fleming
david fleming rated it really liked it
Feb 20, 2016
Duane
Duane rated it it was amazing
Feb 01, 2013
Charles Bame
Charles Bame rated it it was amazing
May 09, 2011
Manuel
Manuel rated it really liked it
Jun 04, 2012
Marivi Es es
Marivi Es es rated it really liked it
Jan 31, 2015
Mor
Mor rated it really liked it
Sep 25, 2008
Cole Roberts
Cole Roberts rated it liked it
Jan 17, 2011
Betty
Betty rated it it was amazing
Aug 15, 2012
Steve Goulding
Steve Goulding rated it really liked it
Apr 29, 2016
Shawn
Shawn rated it really liked it
Oct 25, 2011
Mocanu
Mocanu rated it it was amazing
Jun 25, 2013
Federico Riccio
Federico Riccio rated it it was amazing
Mar 03, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • The Best of C. M. Kornbluth
  • The Best of Poul Anderson
  • The Best of Jack Vance
  • The Best of John W. Campbell (US)
  • The Best of Stanley G. Weinbaum
  • Destination: Universe!
  • Nightflyers
  • Out of the Everywhere, and Other Extraordinary Visions
  • The Best of Damon Knight
Robert Silverberg is one of science fiction’s most beloved writers, and the author of such contemporary classics as Dying Inside, Downward to the Earth and Lord Valentine’s Castle, as well as At Winter’s End, also available in a Bison Books edition. He is a past president of the Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers of America and the winner of five Nebula Awards and five Hugo Awards. In 2004 the Sc ...more
More about Robert Silverberg...