Start by marking “The Avram Davidson Treasury: A Tribute Collection” as Want to Read:
The Avram Davidson Treasury: A Tribute Collection

The Avram Davidson Treasury: A Tribute Collection

Avram Davidson was one of the great original American writers of this century. He was erudite, cranky, Jewish, wildly creative, and sold most of his wonderful stories to pulp magazines. They are wonderful.

Now his estate and his friends have brought together a definitive collection of his finest work, each story introduced by an SF luminary: writers like Ursula K. Le Guin,
Published September 11th 1999 by Tor Books (first published September 15th 1998)

To ask other readers questions about The Avram Davidson Treasury, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Avram Davidson Treasury

Dmitry
Jul 25, 2007 Dmitry rated it it was amazing
Suppose you are the insomniac son of the world's funniest, smartest rabbi, who tells you bed time stories to get you to go to sleep, except they are so good, you never do. (And if that's not your idea of the best possible collection of American science fiction and fantasy short stories, I don't know how to help you.)
Aaron Arnold
Aug 05, 2012 Aaron Arnold rated it really liked it
An excellent collection of short stories, of which even the ones which aren't very compelling are always well-written. Davidson has a great range, and can go from Wodehousian parodies to respectable sci-fi seemingly effortlessly. Each story is preceded by a brief note from a staggering range of influential authors (Silverberg, Gibson, LeGuin, Bradbury, Ellison...); he was admired by what seems like half the world. While a bunch of the encomia don't offer much insight, a fair number help provide ...more
Brian Steed
Davidson wrote some of the richest and most satisfying stories I’ve ever read. It’s shameful that he’s not given the renown he deserves, probably because of the science fiction elements that season his stories. It’s a short-sighted bias, as his stories are far more mature & witty & intelligent than most of the output by mainstream authors.
Gentlyferal
Contains many of my favorites, including “The Golem,” “Dagon” (which I did not appreciate when I first read it in my early teens), “The Affair at Lahore Cantonment,” (a Kiplingesque story similar to, but easier to read than, “Wireless”; and a reworking of “Danny Deever”), “The Goobers,” and “Sacheverell”.
Jim Mann
Apr 19, 2016 Jim Mann rated it it was amazing
Avram Davidson was one of at the distinct voices in science fiction and fantasy. He was also one of the best short story writers of the twentieth century -- not only in the fantasy field but overall. His prose is rich and because of it I find his stories to be slow reading -- I want to slow down to appreciate the flow of the words. Not all good or even great writers share this trait. Many writers I like quite a bit -- Robert Heinlein and Lois McMaster Bujold, jut to name two -- don't write prose ...more
Jim Gore
Apr 11, 2013 Jim Gore rated it it was amazing
One of my all-time favourite collections. The stories fall into several different genres and are always surprising. Each story is preceded by an introduction written by an important writer in the field. As others have stated in their reviews, he was obviously held in high regard by many authors: truly, a writer's writer.

The first time I read this book, I deliberately read each story before reading its introduction. I wanted to read each with a completely open mind, not with any preconceptions d
Aaron Singleton
Mar 17, 2015 Aaron Singleton rated it it was amazing
This is one of the finest short fiction collections I have ever read. Avram Davidson is another of the great writers who are criminally overlooked. He was at one time the editor for "The Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction". His absolute genius is apparent in almost every story contained within.
If you have never read or even heard of Avram Davidson, now is the time to repair that deficiency. If you like Gene Wolfe, Algis Budrys, Philip K. Dick, etc., you will love AD. You can thank me later
Scott
Jan 17, 2016 Scott rated it it was amazing
Shelves: top100
As far as I know, very few people ever really knew about Avram Davidson. Which is a shame, because his stories are so amazing, and so varied, it's hard to believe they all came from the same person. You read one story, wondering where in the world he's going with it, and you end up astonished by its artistry. A master of language, of character, of plot, just wonderful stuff. I'm so bummed that he never really got traction, I'm convinced that some of his stories would have been absolutely amazing ...more
Emlymom
Feb 08, 2015 Emlymom is currently reading it
Story One: My Boyfriend's Name is Jello
I later read that this is not a good starting story. Difficult to understand, I turned to the commentary of others online to see what it was really about. Apparently it is a stream-of-consciousness story about someone (man? boy?) who has a health condition but finds power in the jump rope songs of three girls outside playing. I will read it again with this in mind to see if I see things more clearly.
Riju Ganguly
May 09, 2012 Riju Ganguly rated it liked it
Science Fiction (and fantasy, and horror, and ....) can encompass several kinds of work, and that becomes evident if one takes a long look at the oeuvre of an author spanning decades. This book takes such a long look, and shows a great writer who started with lots of brightness, but eventually succumbed to darkness & pain. Not all of these stories were to my liking, but that must not stop you from reading these lost & forgotten works.
Williwaw
Nov 23, 2011 Williwaw marked it as to-read
I have to admit, I don't understand the few stories in this book that I chose to read, at random. It's disappointing. I bought this book because Davidson wrote one of my favorite stories ever: "Or All the Seas With Oysters."

For example I don't understand these stories: "Sacheverell," or "The Tail-Tied Kings."

Someone, please explain them to me!
Robert Sagirs
More clever and witty than profound or speculative. Prefer my science fiction and fantasy a bit more serious. Very stylish writer, which I suppose is why so many fellow writers shower him with praise.
Allan
Nov 06, 2015 Allan rated it liked it
I didn't finish it, but I'd like to go back and pick out a few more stories. Some of them were delightful in their creepy whimsy, but some I just couldn't get rolling with. I'm sure there's more to this author, but it's back to the library for him for now.
Andrea Janes
Jun 30, 2014 Andrea Janes rated it it was amazing
I think life from now on will be basically be divided into two epochs: "Before Avram Davidson" and "After Avram Davidson."
Londonmabel Mabel
One of the best short story writers, in or out of the genre. Totally weird, original, sometimes creepy, and always surprising stories.
Gavin
Gavin rated it really liked it
Jan 18, 2011
Barry Hunter
Barry Hunter rated it really liked it
Jun 03, 2009
debby
debby rated it it was ok
Mar 06, 2017
Azeem Ummer
Azeem Ummer rated it it was ok
Jun 06, 2013
Ajtrans
Ajtrans rated it liked it
Apr 19, 2010
Rooster
Rooster rated it really liked it
Jan 03, 2014
Scott Firestone
Scott Firestone rated it really liked it
Apr 30, 2012
Randy
Randy rated it really liked it
Oct 07, 2007
Kirsten Christensen
Kirsten Christensen rated it it was amazing
Jun 16, 2015
Kay
Kay rated it it was amazing
Aug 01, 2007
Nongingercat
Nongingercat rated it it was ok
Mar 07, 2012
Nathan Hirstein
Nathan Hirstein rated it really liked it
Mar 25, 2009
Liam
Liam rated it it was amazing
Nov 25, 2012
Deborah Biancotti
Deborah Biancotti rated it liked it
Sep 27, 2012
Michael
Michael rated it it was amazing
Nov 03, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Novelty: Four Stories
  • Majestrum (Henghis Hapthorn #1)
  • The Stories of J.F. Powers
  • The Rediscovery of Man: The Complete Short Science Fiction of Cordwainer Smith
  • The Best of Lucius Shepard
  • Tales of Nevèrÿon (Return to Nevèrÿon, #1)
  • The Odditorium: Stories
  • The Best of Gene Wolfe: A Definitive Retrospective of His Finest Short Fiction
  • Nine Hundred Grandmothers
  • Black Water: The Book of Fantastic Literature
  • Nightwork
  • Thus Were Their Faces: Selected Short Stories
  • The Short Fiction of Flann O'Brien
Avram Davidson was an American Jewish writer of fantasy fiction, science fiction, and crime fiction, as well as the author of many stories that do not fit into a genre niche. He won a Hugo Award and three World Fantasy Awards in the science fiction and fantasy genre, a World Fantasy Life Achievement award, and a Queen's Award and an Edgar Award in the mystery genre. Davidson edited The Magazine of ...more
More about Avram Davidson...