Start by marking “Genealogical Proof Standard: Building a Solid Case” as Want to Read:
Genealogical Proof Standard: Building a Solid Case

Genealogical Proof Standard: Building a Solid Case

3.91  ·  Rating Details  ·  69 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
The Genealogical Proof Standard is the standard set by the genealogical field to build a solid case, especially when there is no direct evidence providing an snswer, or when there are conflicts in the evidence. This easy-to-read guide clearly sets forth the elements of this standard, and how to apply it to resolve genealogical problems.
Published March 1st 2005 by CR Publications

To ask other readers questions about Genealogical Proof Standard, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Genealogical Proof Standard

Nancy
May 03, 2013 Nancy rated it it was amazing
In anticipation of the soon to be released book on the Genealogical Proof Standard (GPS) by Tom Jones, I decided to take a look at this work by Christine Rose. It's a quick read which summarizes the basics of the GPS and provides a few examples of putting the process to work. Thankfully, I've been following the GPS appropriately in my own work although I have to admit that I'm a bit more hesitant in drawing conclusions in order to connect family members when there is absolutely no direct evidenc ...more
Christine
May 18, 2014 Christine rated it liked it
Overall, it touches on each point of the GPS and puts it in simple terms. However, I felt that the narrative jumped around in a non-linear manner.
Carla
Apr 19, 2015 Carla rated it it was amazing
A 'must-have' book for all genealogists!
Linda
Apr 08, 2009 Linda rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
This slim book describes the "Genealoical Proof System", essentially the methods that one uses to judge when sources don't agree and direct, primary evidence doesn't exist. It's pretty straightforward stuff and nothing was really surprising so I was surprised to see the book so highly rated on amazon. While useful, it wasn't saying anything that any person who can apply simple logic would choose. Then again, perhaps that group of people is smaller than I think. :)
JanieceK
Apr 12, 2009 JanieceK rated it really liked it
The documentation is the least fun part of genealogy and is actually the most important part. Sometimes we get too far into it before we realize the importance. This is a little textbook that should be read by everyone when they start their genealogical journey. It is possible to build a solid case without a magic document. This book outlines the steps.
Liz
Jan 23, 2011 Liz rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: genealogists, professional genealogists
Shelves: own, genealogy
Loved this little book on the Genealogical Proof Standard. Great examples! I particularly enjoyed the discussion of evaluating source credibility as a separate analysis after determining whether the source was primary/secondary and the information original/derivative.
Richard
This book provides to for genealogical researches by giving guidelines on how to prove your ancestral claims through documented evidence.

The 3rd edition is out-of-print, and has been updated. I have the 4th edition which has a green cover, instead of pink.
Martha
Good clear examination of the genealogical proof standard. Nothing very new, but easy to read and provides a nice summary of how we need to approach genealogical evidence.
Leslie Hickman
Oct 06, 2012 Leslie Hickman rated it it was ok
Shelves: hobbies
Not that helpful in the fact this information is just talking in circles and is in every other book. Only redeeming aspect is that it was short!
Trishtator
Jun 14, 2007 Trishtator rated it it was amazing
Shelves: genealogy, own-it, office
A must read for every genealogist. Solid foundation principles of methodology presented in a clear manner. And it's a quick read too!
Cindy
Oct 29, 2012 Cindy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Proving facts can be difficult to say the least.
J Z
J Z marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2016
Andrew
Andrew marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2016
Amy
Amy rated it liked it
Jun 19, 2016
Alan Lapearle
Alan Lapearle marked it as to-read
May 26, 2016
Susan Erickson
Susan Erickson marked it as to-read
May 21, 2016
Beth
Beth marked it as to-read
May 15, 2016
Fran Jensen
Fran Jensen marked it as to-read
May 16, 2016
Kathleen
Kathleen marked it as to-read
May 09, 2016
Kris
Kris marked it as to-read
May 04, 2016
Christie
Christie marked it as to-read
Apr 30, 2016
nicolle mcqueen
nicolle mcqueen rated it really liked it
Mar 15, 2016
Kim Hollstein
Kim Hollstein marked it as to-read
Mar 09, 2016
Sue Law
Sue Law marked it as to-read
Feb 29, 2016
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
Feb 20, 2016
Caroline
Caroline marked it as to-read
Feb 08, 2016
Amanda Perrine
Amanda Perrine rated it it was amazing
Feb 02, 2016
Catherine Gall
Catherine Gall marked it as to-read
Dec 11, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
There is more than one author with this name
More about Christine Rose...