Start by marking “The Reluctant Metrosexual: Dispatches from an Almost Hip Life” as Want to Read:
The Reluctant Metrosexual: Dispatches from an Almost Hip Life

The Reluctant Metrosexual: Dispatches from an Almost Hip Life

Peter Hyman wants the model/Fulbright Scholar girlfriend, the job with generous stock options and the well-appointed 2BR w/vu. Instead he routinely finds himself single and underemployed in his closet-free walk-up. The last woman he liked got back together with her lesbian lover; the one before that threw up on the first date.

Welcome to the almost hip life of a reluctant
Published July 27th 2004 by Villard (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about The Reluctant Metrosexual, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Reluctant Metrosexual

Jessica S.
Absolutely fucking terrible. The only part of this book that elicited a chuckle was the chapter in which he got BURGLARIZED and I'm sure that was out of pure schaudenfreude. This is type of book for people that love New York, hate Los Angeles, and are from some nowhere town in the Mid-west but always try to pass off as if they've lived in the Lower East Side their entire life.
Dec 29, 2007 Elisa rated it it was ok
Amusing title- with a few cute one-liners here and there. But generally ended up as a I-wish-I-were-David-Sedaris book.
Jun 28, 2007 Babsmu rated it it was ok
Um, he's trying too hard. He reminded me of all the semi-executive twenty-something clones I met while living in NYC. The kind you want to throw a drink on.
Mar 24, 2012 Amberlee rated it it was ok
I plucked 'The Reluctant Metrosexual' off the audio shelf at the library because of it's name. I go on semi regular road trips to visit my daughter at
university and I needed something to listen to for the 12 hour drive. The back flap blurb pitched the book as 'hilarious essays about a single guy
attempting to live on the right side of hip.' Although I wouldn't use the word 'hilarious' to describe the collection of, what I assume to be, a humor
column squeezed into book form, I quite enjoyed the li
Feb 04, 2008 Lorraine rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anthropologists in 2108
Recommended to Lorraine by: random book off library shelf
Shelves: listened-to
I wasn't even through the introduction before I was chuckling out loud at the wit.
But the humour soon grew tiresome.
Some of the essays were enjoyable, entertaining, but others were not. Reasonably good insights on the meterosexual trend, but DULL musings on unemployment (and I'm unemployed).
At the beginning, I thought all his self-depreciative jabs at this (audio)book were in jest, but really, they are reflective of what it actually is: the ramblings of a guy in New York City. It may be interest
Melissa Cavanaugh
Disappointing - the author was not very likable, and his love for the sound of his own voice should have been curbed by his editor.
Feb 11, 2009 Jostalady rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biography
Light, funny read. I started recognizing one of my friends in him and that made it really fun for me.
Better title than book, in that it was less about dealing with his “metrosexual-ness” than just stories about him during his 20s and 30s.
Mar 05, 2008 Elizabeth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a HOOT to listen to! So fun! And I have to say, the author is indeed a metrosexual! wow. Hilarious.
Sep 25, 2011 Beth rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I picked this up because I listened to the author on The Moth and laughed out loud at his story. Unfortunately, this book just didn't hold my attention or inspire laughter like that Moth story.
Feb 10, 2008 Joy rated it it was ok
Got bored, got distracted, thought it felt forced and that every obvious aside was mentioned, didn't feel like finishing it- maybe some other time...
Susan rated it liked it
Jun 06, 2011
rob rated it really liked it
Mar 28, 2007
Alex rated it liked it
Nov 18, 2010
Chen rated it liked it
Sep 23, 2012
Ashley Peto
Ashley Peto rated it liked it
Feb 17, 2013
Stephen Scarpulla
Stephen Scarpulla rated it liked it
Nov 13, 2008
Tyneil rated it it was ok
Mar 16, 2008
Michelle rated it liked it
Jan 22, 2012
Angela rated it liked it
Apr 07, 2014
Joe Neylon
Joe Neylon rated it really liked it
Aug 26, 2008
Leah Christine
Leah Christine rated it liked it
Aug 23, 2007
Sharon Yehlen
Sharon Yehlen rated it liked it
Jan 08, 2014
Rob rated it really liked it
Jul 19, 2008
Eric Martin
Eric Martin rated it liked it
Jul 24, 2012
Diane rated it liked it
Apr 19, 2013
Kristin rated it it was ok
Sep 10, 2016
Occasionally funny.
Ally rated it liked it
Aug 27, 2008
Gretchen rated it it was ok
Jan 07, 2008