Start by marking “Farseer” as Want to Read:
Farseer

Farseer (Warhammer 40,000)

3.53  ·  Rating Details  ·  203 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
The eldar race once sailed the length of the galaxy in their craftworlds, seeking knowledge and enlightenment in the darkest corners and unwittingly unleashing a power that threatened to destroy them. Now a dying race, the eldar rely on the farseers to see the futures. By manipulating events, the eldar can bring peace, for a time. But they must find a agent--one very speci ...more
Paperback
Published June 6th 2002 by The Black Library (first published May 21st 2002)

Michael T Bradley
Dec 18, 2014 Michael T Bradley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: w40k
I think this is my favorite novel William King has done for Black Library that I've read (out of all the G&F ones - I like Trollslayer better, but it's a collection of short stories, NOT a novel - and the first three Space Wolf novels). Here's why. It really feels as if King is just having fun with this one (for the most part - one glaring exception below). This reminded me a LOT of Barrington J. Bayley's "Eye of Terror." We have a rogue trader & his ship going into the Eye of Terror, an ...more
Stephan
Dec 15, 2015 Stephan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: warhammer-40k, sci-fi
As long as you remember that this is an older publication. That the fluff or background material has changed over the years, then this is a pretty good read.
No, this is actually a good read no matter what. It's witty, have some nice characters and, for once in a 40K novel, not that much focus on the action.

We get to follow a rogue trader very down on his luck who's contacted by a pair of Eldar. The aliens are asking him for a ride to the Eye of terror and promises a lot of money for the trouble.
Bee
Aug 26, 2015 Bee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you want to see superhuman Astartes doing cool shit, this isn't the book for you. If you wonder what it feels like to be a budding psyker, how chaos twists itself around you, how it actually feels to meet an Eldar or be a Navigator, this is the book for you. Rarely does a black library book deliver both on a good, gripping story and deliver a good look into what daily life feels like for different people in the Imperium. The twist at the end was also unexpected and well written.
Plaguedoctor
Oct 20, 2014 Plaguedoctor rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: warhammer
Well, I can't really say this was William Kings best 40k book, but it was still enjoyable none the less. It just seemed like it had a slower pace then his other books and if you don't like slow paced books, you probably won't like this one. I'll be honest, I had a hard time getting through a few spots because it just seemed to slow and felt like it dragged a little. I really liked the main characters though. I enjoyed how the main character wasn't a Spacemarine or member of the Imperial Guard an ...more
Rolf
Dec 24, 2007 Rolf rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: warhammer-40k
If I had to describe these books I’d probably call them a “guilty pleasure,” but honestly I don’t feel guilty at all about reading these books. For those unfamiliar, Warhammer 40K is (among other things) a game you play with miniatures and being that I collect 40K miniatures, part of my enjoyment of these books comes from seeing that world “come alive.” So honestly, I probably don’t expect too much else from a 40K book which makes it a little harder to give an objective review about them. But oc ...more
Brian Turner
Jun 15, 2015 Brian Turner rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
Another good 40K story from William King.
Janus Darke is a sown on his luck rogue trader, having once been the man who could do no wrong.
When an Eldar Farseer offers him and his crew a commission, he doesn't have much choice but to accept.

Keeps moving at a good pace, the main characters are well written.
Interesting ending, would be good to find out what happens after.
PL
Jan 23, 2016 PL rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the best passages of the Black Library on pp 38-39. Twenty years later I found it again.
William
Dec 10, 2007 William rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rogue Trader Janus Darke joins forces with a pair of Eldar to thwart the plans of the Demon Prince Shaha Gaathon.

Fascinating account of how the Eldar created Slaanesh.

One of the Eldar is Farseer Auric, the other is assassin Athenys.

They travel to Belial IV in the Eye of Terror.

Chaos Marine Zarghan Ironfist was with Fulgrim's Emperor's Children at the First Founding.

Many plot threads are not resolved, setting the stage for sequels.
Alexander Draganov
Good book with interesting ideas and stromg ending. However, it was slow moving at times and in the hands of a better author would have been more exciting. In terms of characters, I wanted more from the Eldar and the assassin, but unfortunately was stuck with a boring Navigator character for much too long. My true rating of the book is 3.5, but as it mostly because of a surprise ending, I give it three.
Christian
Eldar have a Rogue Trader bring them to a planet in the Eye of Terror to get a kick ass sword all the while being pursued by Slaanesh minions. I missed King's character's introspections. This is a very basic plot that should have spawned a sequel but it seems that it never did. Still not what I would consider an Eldar novel.
Adrian Gabura
May 29, 2015 Adrian Gabura rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: warhammer
It's an interesting book, a masterly plot twist and an inspiring glimpse in the Warhammer world.
Rooney
Rooney is currently reading it
Feb 03, 2016
Stefan Glösl
Stefan Glösl marked it as to-read
Feb 02, 2016
Josh
Josh rated it it was ok
Jan 27, 2016
James Mcdaid
James Mcdaid marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2016
Joshua Gomez
Joshua Gomez rated it it was amazing
Jan 18, 2016
David
David added it
Jan 25, 2016
Brett
Brett added it
Jan 04, 2016
Tezz Blake
Tezz Blake is currently reading it
Dec 29, 2015
Veteamierda
Veteamierda marked it as to-read
Dec 14, 2015
Liam
Liam rated it really liked it
Dec 14, 2015
Rick Reichow
Rick Reichow marked it as to-read
Dec 13, 2015
A.C.Lilley
A.C.Lilley rated it it was ok
Dec 12, 2015
Brig
Brig added it
Dec 07, 2015
Brian McDonald
Brian McDonald rated it did not like it
Dec 05, 2015
Daniel C Nichols
Daniel C Nichols rated it it was amazing
Dec 02, 2015
Joe
Joe rated it really liked it
Nov 27, 2015
Matt Shepherd
Matt Shepherd marked it as to-read
Nov 26, 2015
  • Warrior Brood
  • Daemon World
  • Nightbringer
  • Path of the Warrior (Path of the Eldar, #1)
  • Sons of Fenris
  • Let the Galaxy Burn
  • Eye of Terror (Warhammer 40,000 Novels)
  • Lord of the Night
  • Dark Apostle
  • Execution Hour
  • Red Fury
  • Deathwing
  • Sons of Dorn
  • Malleus
More about William King...

Warhammer 40,000 (1 - 10 of 745 books)
  • Horus Rising (The Horus Heresy, #1)
  • False Gods