Start by marking “Paradise Lost and Other Poems” as Want to Read:
Paradise Lost and Other Poems

Paradise Lost and Other Poems

3.92 of 5 stars 3.92  ·  rating details  ·  452 ratings  ·  24 reviews
These three major works by the seventeenth-century English poet show why Milton takes his place beside Shakespeare, Dante, Homer, and Vergil. They ring with the unmistakable clarity of genius, with majesty of language, splendor and wealth of detail, and with the deep conviction of a powerful mind. Milton's masterpieces reflect the light of a many-faceted tradition; the int ...more
Published November 1st 1961 by Signet (first published January 1st 1942)

To ask other readers questions about Paradise Lost and Other Poems, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Paradise Lost and Other Poems

Keely
Milton wrote this while blind, and claimed it was the result of divine inspiration which visited him nightly. There are few texts that could reasonably be added into the Bible, and this is certainly one of them (the Divine Comedy is another). Paradise Lost outlines portions of the Bible which, thanks to its haphazard combination of mythic stories, are never fully explored.

In fact, most of Paradise Lost has become tacitly accepted into the Christian mythos, even if most Christians do not recogni
Lazarus
Any lover of epic poetry, and the likes of Hesiod, Homer, Virgil,and Dante, will certainly enjoy Paradise Lost, Milton's contribution to the western poetic canon. Seeking nothing less than to justify the ways of God to man, Milton recounts in verse the rebellion of Satan and his angels, their subsequent expulsion from heaven (courtesy of the Son of God), and Satan's vengeance against God in the form of his moral poisoning of God's newest and most favored creation - mankind.

I loved much of the i
Chris Brimmer
A good edition and well annotated. This is one of the foundations of both English literature and the modern English language. If read in context of British culture and politics of the time, one can gain some deep insight into the transition of England from a Catholic medieval society into a Protestant enlightenment one. Paradise Lost is a work by yet another dead white guy that you should none the less be required to read.
Amanda
ElSeven
Note that this is only a review of Paradise Lost. Lycidas and Samson Agonistes are also included in this volume. They are both great in their own right, but fall beyond the scope of this review.

Paradise Lost is truely, truely great, and anything that I could say in this review would only do it an injustice.

The Language is daunting, yes. It's stilted, latinate English that would have sounded overblown when it was written, but my word. I can excuse all that and more in this, because it's the lang
Robert Swem
Much of our "mythology" that people erroneously believe is in the Bible comes from this masterwork.
Ana
Satan I get you. You feel you were treated unfairly. But instead of communicating those feelings to the group, you went ahead and started a war, got yourself kicked out of heaven, disfigured and now your stuck in hell.
Forever!
So the big G decided to have a few pets (Adam, Eve etc.)
No big deal! You had a good thing going.
But NOooo! you had to go get all jealous and outspoken. Now what? War? Really? Do you really think you have a chance... in hell?
*Authors note: LMAO :)
Nope, you know you don't
Darren
Apr 04, 2008 Darren is currently reading it
This book has an interesting perspective on the devil. There is a line in there that I thought was particularly masterful:

"The mind is its own place, and in itself
Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n."

I haven't got the hang of the rhyme yet, but the words are majestic and broad (albeit a little difficult to decipher in its entirety). I'm looking forward to finishing it.
Tucker
This poem has a reassuring, dreammlike meter and beautiful imagery. I'm pondering how Adam and Eve both wanted to know God, but took different approaches: Adam wanted to know God through philosophical or worshipful methods, while Eve took the shortcut of eating from the Tree of Knowledge. Where's the sin, Eve asked?
Travis
Although I'm not into spirituality, the writing is absolutely elegant and superb. One of the strongest products of literature I've ever seen. Every line, despite being only a handful of words, evokes such rich and deep imagery I need to force myself to slow down so I can enjoy the deep immersion.
Robin
Jun 09, 2010 Robin rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: owned
While his use of language and creating an interesting story can be looked upon with praise, his portrayal of Eve is nothing short of appalling. I realize it would be impossible for someone not in the 20th century to portray 20th century ideals, but still. It's appalling.
Paul Franco
A few months ago I was taking the funicular in downtown El Lay and saw the sign that called it "Angel's Flight," but I read it wrong, thinking "Angels Fight." I thought, what a cool idea for a story!

Then I remembered Paradise Lost. Never mind!
I am only part way through, but just the descriptions of the generation of Sin and Death are worth reading the book. The language that Milton uses is beautifully precise, although it does not always create beautiful pictures.
Bob
A book worth rereading frequently. Its interesting to ponder how the depiction of the prince of darkness by a deeply religious man reads like a modern hero. This Satan has balls, a ethics.
ElizaBeth
To be fair, I would have enjoyed this more if it weren't taught to me by a drab, sickly old man who smelled of cheap pipe tobacco and puncutated every sentence with a chest-rattling hack.
Hundeschlitten
I was persuing this last winter, and Paradise Lost remains as mind-expanding as ever, action packed, with possibly the richest prose in the English language.
Kristin
One of the most dense books I've ever read. It was difficult to read, but it wasn't a terrible book.
Sandy
It's a hard read but once you learn the language...the book is freakin' hilarious and moving.
Asa Merritt
Fantastical. Audacious. Milton linked his piety with his imagination to great success...
Bhumi
Jul 11, 2012 Bhumi added it
it is very nice book & also give knowledge about metapysics & teology...................
Adam
The very end is just as good as the very beginning.
Valerie
Jul 15, 2008 Valerie rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Valerie by: Dad
Such a sympathetic main character.
Ryan
Turly an epic, that's for sure. Milton's language is poetry at its best--sweeping, dramatic, and fully of beauty and substance. I'm not a religious person, but I can say that I've been to sunday school and mass, and this book was a much more entertaining way to read about god.
Mr.
2 copies.
Sharon
Sharon marked it as to-read
Nov 26, 2014
  • A Preface to Paradise Lost
  • Great Dialogues of Plato
  • The Man Who Would Be King and Other Stories
  • The Nuremberg Trials
  • The Death of Ivan Ilych and Other Stories: Family Happiness; The Kreutzer Sonata; Master and Man
  • The School for Wives and The Learned Ladies
  • Frankenstein/Dracula (Classic Library Series)
  • John Keats: Poems (Everyman Poetry)
John Milton (9 December 1608 – 8 November 1674) was an English poet, polemicist, man of letters, and a civil servant for the Commonwealth of England under Oliver Cromwell. He wrote at a time of religious flux and political upheaval, and is best known for his epic poem Paradise Lost (1667), written in blank verse.

Milton's poetry and prose reflect deep personal convictions, a passion for freedom and
More about John Milton...
Paradise Lost Paradise Lost and Paradise Regained (Signet Classics) The Complete Poetry Samson Agonistes Paradise Regained