Start by marking “Does the Frontier Experience Make America Exceptional?” as Want to Read:
Does the Frontier Experience Make America Exceptional?

Does the Frontier Experience Make America Exceptional?

Does the frontier experience make America exceptional? When Frederick Jackson Turner presented this idea in 1893 as the core of his now-famous thesis, he set in motion a debate that historians of the American West have contended with ever since. The concept of a frontier, a moving boundary that defined civilization and circumscribed the Wild West, was not new — though the ...more
Published April 16th 1999 by Bedford/St. Martin's

Be the first to ask a question about Does the Frontier Experience Make America Exceptional?

Chris
The shadow of Frederick Jackson Turner looms large. His 1893 essay on the frontier is arguably the most important piece of historical writing produced by an American. Here's another place to read it again--and it deserves to be read again.

This collection includes Richard White's excellent piece, "When Frederick Jackson Turner and Buffalo Bill Cody Both Played Chicago in 1893," and installments by other luminaries--Donald Worster, Patricia Limerick, Elliot West, etc. (What?! no William Cronon?!)

H
Matthew Hurley
Feb 23, 2011 Matthew Hurley rated it really liked it
All right, so I may have skipped an essay or two, but I read what was assigned. I'll probably look over the others later, but what I read was intriguing. I came down on the more Turnerian side, probably reacting to the over-reactionary anti-Turnerians. I think Turner has a valid analysis, but one which never should have been taken to the extremes it was. Still, I buy into the significance of his frontier thesis more than some.
Brian
Mar 12, 2012 Brian rated it liked it
Yes, I read the whole thing and I liked it not so much for the historic implications but for the mechanics of the debates. Seeing Worcester take on Turner was fun. I probably wouldn't have enjoyed this book if it weren't for my teacher (and incidentally the chapter on women is very clearly part of the 80s history movement).
Elizabeth
Mar 31, 2014 Elizabeth rated it really liked it
Shelves: history, us-history
The essays in this book are invaluable for students as it helps put the Frontier Thesis into perspective. While Turner was a progressive and some of his ideas are rather limited, the Frontier Thesis was accepted as-is for nearly 100 years. The other essays in the book clarify and build on Turner's ideas as well as introduce other ways of looking at the American West.
Amber
Jan 12, 2015 Amber rated it it was amazing
Everyone who has gone to an American school has heard of the Turner frontier thesis - that is the idea that the American frontier closed in 1890 and so did a significant part of American history. I never actually read Turner's essay, so I was glad to find it inside this book along with other essays about this particular idea.

Very good book.
Chris Johnson
Turner's thesis is an incredible achievement. Unique ideas and exceptional ideas lead to growth in frontier history. This book does a great job explaining the criticisms of Turner's thesis while still explaining the things he has done so well. Overall this is an easy read and will provide its readers with a unique perspective on the history of the west as well as the criticisms of Turner.
Christopher
Feb 03, 2011 Christopher rated it liked it
Well-organized with good essay selections (excepting the Riley one). It makes the reader think in all the right ways.
Sarah rated it did not like it
Jun 17, 2008
Mathew
Mathew rated it liked it
Apr 16, 2016
Michael A. Hill
Michael A. Hill rated it really liked it
Dec 26, 2015
David Nichols
David Nichols rated it liked it
Feb 21, 2011
Garrett Brittain
Garrett Brittain rated it it was amazing
Jun 11, 2016
Matt
Matt rated it it was ok
Nov 06, 2007
Jennifer rated it it was ok
Dec 29, 2011
Mollie Hogan
Mollie Hogan rated it it was ok
Sep 18, 2014
Shane Westfall
Shane Westfall rated it really liked it
Mar 24, 2009
Brock
Brock rated it it was amazing
Apr 11, 2012
Marcia Bennett
Marcia Bennett rated it really liked it
Sep 26, 2014
Christina
Christina rated it liked it
May 13, 2014
Jennifer Polopolus-meredith
Jennifer Polopolus-meredith rated it it was amazing
Aug 22, 2014
Tom Knutzen
Tom Knutzen rated it liked it
Dec 23, 2012
Ashlee Pitts/Kelly
Ashlee Pitts/Kelly rated it it was ok
May 12, 2014
Holly
Holly rated it it was ok
May 08, 2015
Catarina
Catarina rated it liked it
Jul 21, 2015
Chris Allen
Chris Allen rated it it was amazing
Jul 19, 2014
Kaitlyn
Kaitlyn rated it liked it
Jan 23, 2015
Christal
Christal rated it did not like it
Jun 20, 2016
Nessa
Nessa rated it really liked it
Feb 10, 2015
Nicole
Nicole rated it it was ok
May 01, 2012
Rhonda
Rhonda rated it really liked it
Mar 07, 2016