Start by marking “Which Would You Rather Be?” as Want to Read:
Which Would You Rather Be?

Which Would You Rather Be?

3.24  ·  Rating Details  ·  99 Ratings  ·  28 Reviews
Both simple and profound, Which Would You Rather Be? was celebrated author/artist William Steig′s recent triumph of humor and creativity-a charming, game-like picture book illustrated by the renowned illustrator Harry Bliss. The duo could not have been more perfectly matched!

Now in paperback, Bliss′ warm, accessible art and Steig′s winning way with words make this book a t
Published March 1st 2005 by HarperCollins (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Which Would You Rather Be?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Which Would You Rather Be?

Brooke
Nov 11, 2015 Brooke rated it it was amazing
This game like picture book enables children to be interactive with the text as they can step into the shoes of the main characters as a means to answer the quite interesting questions presented throughout the course of the reading. Through the detailed and creative illustrations the main character answers questions as it relates to whether or not he would rather be this or that (the options range from asking would you rather be a cat or dog to would you rather be a girl or a boy). With the expl ...more
Josiah
May 16, 2010 Josiah rated it did not like it
A William Steig book without his familiar accompanying illustrations? It hardly seems possible. However, if another artist was going to be selected as the catalyst to illuminate William Steig's storytelling, then I'm glad that Harry Bliss was the one.

Which Would You Rather Be? is a nice story, with the same feel of simple happiness that defines much of what William Steig produced in his later years. A rabbit asks direct questions of a boy and a girl sitting in front of him, contrasting question
Michelle
Jun 28, 2011 Michelle rated it liked it
Mommy Bookworm’s Thoughts: Until I read information about the author, I didn’t know he was the creator of Shrek. I read one review online that mentioned it’s odd to have him be the author here instead of the illustrator since he was an artist. I think the concept of the book is cute since the rabbit is the one pulling things out of the top hat instead of the humans. However, I feel there is no real point to the book. I guess it is just to get kids thinking of what they prefer, but there’s no rea ...more
Garren
Mar 28, 2016 Garren rated it it was ok
My rating of this might go up if I can figure out a way to incorporate it into a larger theme. It's definitely aimed at being a discussion provoker. The thing I dig about Steig is that he comes up with wildly different types of stories every time I try one of his picture books.
Cindy
Apr 30, 2015 Cindy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'd rather be all of them at once. A nice children's book I would read with a young one by my side.
Mckinley
Jun 18, 2014 Mckinley rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture
I really liked the list of questions but not the shown results. Missed classic Steig illustrations.
Robin
Jul 31, 2015 Robin rated it it was ok
Not really great as a read aloud, better as a springboard for conversation one-on-one.
Robin Raines-Bond
Oct 21, 2015 Robin Raines-Bond rated it really liked it
Fun interactive book with great pics and thought provoking text.
Rachel Rouleau
Could be fun to read to a class and discuss.
ABC
Jan 07, 2011 ABC rated it it was amazing
Shelves: younger-kids
This book is very simple and I thought it would be too babyish for my second grader. But we had a lot of fun with it. It asks questions like, "Which would you rather be, a stick or a stone?" It was neat hearing my son's responses: "I would rather be a stone because a stick can break!"

Other sample questions: An elbow or a knee? A mouse or an elephant? A boy or a girl? A kid or a grown-up?

So anyway this book is good for regular kids, but would be awesome for an English as a Second Langage class.
Jeffrey
Jan 29, 2014 Jeffrey rated it it was ok
Not really much to this book and doesn't have much Steig-style - disappointing
Anthony Smith
Jun 22, 2010 Anthony Smith rated it really liked it
Shelves: grade-this
Which would you rather be is a good picture book for children. It provides great illustrations for them so they can see what exactly the story is talking about. A good example of this is when the elephant appears out of the hat, it is gray in color. Other objects that come out of the hat are pretty true to the real life color. This is really helpful for children.Overall it is a small little concept book full of bright colors and I would recommend it for young children in kindergarten
Mary
Which Would You Rather Be helps introduce the idea of questions and what making a decision means. The illustrations reinforce that girls can do the same things that boys do. In first grade and kindergarten,students could come up with their own list of "would you rather be's". In pre-k, this is a great way for children to explore large and small large and small and the advantages of each.
jacky
Feb 12, 2013 jacky rated it liked it
I thought that the questions were overwhelming. They just went on and on and a child might get tired of it. But the two kids at story time seemed alright with it. The questions were quite different, too. I enjoyed listening and seeing what Natalie would answer. Most of the time I could correctly guess her response.
Libby
May 31, 2013 Libby rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-book
Interesting book that features a rabbit magician, who poses questions for his audience about which of two choices they would rather be. His magic provides illustrations, and my kids had fun thinking about the questions. It doesn't quite click as a favorite for me, but it was a fun read.
Allison
Jun 16, 2011 Allison rated it liked it
Jordan is currently in love with having and making choices, so this story went straight in to her wheelhouse. Some of her choices really surprised me!
Alma Loredo
Dec 01, 2010 Alma Loredo rated it it was ok
Rabbit the magician asks the boy and the girl what they would rather be. They have many options that come out of his hat. But they need time to think.
Dolly
Mar 27, 2009 Dolly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: childrens, 2009
This is a fun book; a series of questions more so than a true story. It really was interesting to read this one aloud with our girls and hear their responses.
Lesley Looper
This is a rather simple book, not much to it, though I think it might be a good lead-in for young listeners to discuss preferences.
Michelle Nero
Dec 27, 2011 Michelle Nero rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Another book that offers great discussion starters...would you rather be a stick or a stone? Thunder or lightning? Alone or together?
Kelly
Oct 11, 2012 Kelly rated it liked it
Shelves: 2012-challenge
I wanted to like this book more, but it was inconsistent. There was not a decision after every choice given. Maybe I'm being too picky.
Apr 24, 2010 571 rated it it was amazing
PreSchool-Grade 1 SLJ
full of funny choices for kids to make- adults can appreciate the humor, great illustrations
H
Nov 06, 2013 H added it
Shelves: library-books
Archie would rather be an elbow. Hector wanted to be an elbow first until Archie said. Then it was a knee.
Tricia
Feb 28, 2008 Tricia rated it it was ok
not sure why but this book appealed to the girls. boring.
Yarb
Jul 25, 2016 Yarb rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids, kids-books
Fun rendering of the age-old game of binary choice.
Belmont Storytime
Mar 07, 2008 Belmont Storytime rated it really liked it
Good for starting discusions, getting people moving around.
Gray
Jul 26, 2013 Gray rated it really liked it
This books prompts a good discussion.
Ivan
Amanda
Amanda added it
Jul 15, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
William Steig was born in New York City in 1907. In a family where every member was involved in the arts, it was not surprising that Steig became an artist.

He published his first children's book, Roland the Minstrel Pig, in 1968, embarking on a new and very different career.

Steig's books reflect his conviction that children want the security of a devoted family and friends. When Sylvester, Farmer
More about William Steig...