Start by marking “How to Raise an American: 1776 Fun and Easy Tools, Tips, and Activities to Help Your Child Love This Country” as Want to Read:

Do you love America? Are you proud to call this country your home? Now, what about your kids? You want them to love America as much as you do, but when popular culture tells them it’s cooler to bash this country than to love it, how can you teach them to be proud and loyal citizens?
As mothers themselves, bestselling author Myrna Blyth and former presidential speechwriter
Published March 20th 2007 by Crown Forum (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about How to Raise an American, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How to Raise an American

Erin
Apr 14, 2009 Erin rated it did not like it
It was awful. I thought it looked interesting and hoping it to be full of inspiring ideas. However, I suspected within a few pages that it was a conservative lean, then it quickly when from questionable to obvious. And then yep, one of the authors worked under the first Bush admin. And oh yeah, it makes claim after claim without any listing any sources. Do not read- except for a critical look at the annoying blah, blah, blah of conservative America.
Ami
Sep 07, 2009 Ami rated it really liked it
This book gets 4 1/2 stars from me.

Going into this book, I knew it would have a conservative slant (which is okay with me because I do as well). However, I was pleasantly surprised at the low level of liberal bashing in the book. Instead rants and apocolyptic hand wringing, the authors presented a straight forward, concise discussion on why increased levels of patriotism are needed and how we can achieve those levels.

"How to Raise an American" is well organized. The first part explains why patri
Bybees
Jun 14, 2008 Bybees rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. Teaching my kids patriotism is really important to me and this book has a lot of great ideas. I even made Ryan read it. The book has a few chapters in the beginning convincing parents why it is so important for you to be involved in your children's education as they develop opinoins and knowledge about this country. The authors make a lot of good points. The rest of the book has resources and ideas about how you can take control over the media and school's influence o ...more
Marcie
Jun 23, 2010 Marcie rated it it was amazing
Loved this book. I am putting it on my "What every mom should read" list :) Part One of the book addresses "The Patriotism Gap" and why and how our children are taught to be ashamed to be Americans (unfortunately sometimes through school textbooks and the media). The second portion of the book provides all the resources you could want to make teaching American history fun,and to help your children be grateful to be an American. The activities include books to read, holidays to celebrate, trips t ...more
Kelli
May 28, 2009 Kelli rated it it was amazing
Shelves: political-social
Fantastic suggestions promoting patriotism to incorporate into your family traditions. I use this book for ideas for each holiday that relates to American history. There is a "Test Yourself" quiz to see how you rate teaching your children patriotism. Also, the authors challenge you, as a family, to write and sign a pledge to commit to your beliefs. Wonderful!
Thomas O'Banion
This book is a great resource for families trying to instill patriotism and American history into their children. There are some excellent stories and activities, lots of great ideas in order for kids to learn without feeling like they're being preached to. I even used this book several times when talking with my Cub Scout Bear den, and plan to incorporate it more in the years to come.
Christina
Mar 01, 2015 Christina rated it did not like it
What a waste of time this would have been. Glad I only skimmed (and got it at the library instead of buying). The title should rather be How to brainwash your child into loving America unconditionally and blindly. No fact-checking or critical thinking allowed. Ugh!
Roxanne
Nov 02, 2008 Roxanne rated it it was amazing
I really liked this book. At the end it gives you ideas to help your family and it explains the dates and why we have certain holidays. I learned things that they never taught you school and I'm always telling Daniel things that I learned from the book.
Amanda
Jan 23, 2014 Amanda rated it really liked it
I really liked this book. The first half was especially great. My husband would say I got "riled up" every time I read. As a homeschooling mom I have the opportunity to incorporate a lot of these ideas in my children's studies.
There is a great list of books to read with kids.
John
Aug 25, 2011 John rated it it was amazing
Great book! If you love or even like this country of ours read this book. It is much more enjoyable to read it with your children and participate in the activities inside. Some awesome stuff in there.
Tricia Lenington
Apr 02, 2009 Tricia Lenington rated it it was amazing
Awesome book! It's the reason why I've focused so much on our country's history this year in our homeschool.
Bridget Jones
Apr 29, 2007 Bridget Jones marked it as to-read
Doesn't this look awesome?!
Boozy
Jan 13, 2011 Boozy rated it really liked it
fun book, i would recommend this for anyone with children that wants to balance out the sometimes misdirected or "sanitized for their protection" history and civics education that todays kids get.
DaughterDaDa
Jul 06, 2009 DaughterDaDa rated it really liked it
Shelves: parenting, americana
Chock full of great ideas to increase your children's, and your own, appreciation of the history and meaning of America.
Kristopher Swinson
Kristopher Swinson rated it really liked it
Jan 15, 2013
Michael
Michael rated it it was amazing
Mar 29, 2013
Lane
Lane rated it liked it
Jul 28, 2009
Jessica
Jessica rated it liked it
Sep 01, 2012
Jill
Jill rated it really liked it
Jan 06, 2010
Hillary
Hillary rated it liked it
Aug 21, 2008
Nancy Hartman
Nancy Hartman rated it it was amazing
Jan 14, 2016
Laura rated it it was amazing
Sep 03, 2008
Rachelle Davis
Rachelle Davis rated it it was amazing
Jan 09, 2016
Julia
Julia rated it liked it
May 13, 2011
Shauna
Shauna rated it really liked it
Jan 09, 2014
Dirk Pratt
Dirk Pratt rated it really liked it
Sep 08, 2016
Nicol
Nicol rated it it was amazing
Feb 03, 2011
Sara Burt
Sara Burt rated it liked it
Jan 21, 2013
May 09, 2007 Jennifer rated it really liked it
OOOOOOOhhh. I loved this book. :)
Amy
Amy rated it really liked it
May 28, 2010