3.89 of 5 stars 3.89  ·  rating details  ·  121 ratings  ·  12 reviews
A narrative encyclopedia of American criminals from the pilgrims to the present.
Published April 20th 1995 by M. Evans & Company (first published 1973)

To ask other readers questions about Bloodletters and Badmen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bloodletters and Badmen

Melina
I love true crime and this is a nice, concise resource of many varied crimes, some famous, some not-so much, but all are interesting. It covers serial killers, sexual sadists, robbers, mobsters, and everything in between.
Joe Iacovino
The greatest bathroom book ever!
Thomas
I stole an old edition of this book from my high school library in 1985, after reading about Ed Gein for the first time. It's still here on my shelf. Sorry, Sherwood High!

I know, I'm a low-down dirty book thief, but I sure have gotten a lot of use of this book. One of my favorite entries is on Bonnie and Clyde, which includes two awesome poems by Bonnie Parker. Here, check out 'The Ballad of Bonnie and Clyde':
Somebody should turn those words into the lyrics o...more
Annette Oliver
Jan 16, 2008 Annette Oliver rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone who loves modern American history
Recommended to Annette by: my grandpa
This is the first book I've ever read. Maybe it was because I saw The Godfather. It was my grandpa's book. It took awhile to read it but it was very interesting and full of photos of old school gangsters. My grandpa was from Chicago and he ran around in that part of the city when he was young so he must've been fascinated with that era. So was I...
Walt
More general than his encyclopedia on organized crime, and hence, probably more accurate. He covers a great deal of information in a good manner.
Kelli
I have not read this book entirely, it's more of a "pick up here and there encyclopedia". Some of the murderers of the past are really interesting.
Neal Yamamoto
...lurid little summaries of just how bad humans can be; very interesting, 'though in a "watching-a-car-accident" kinda way...
Treplovski
Good reference, I think I first learned about this in an interview with Bill Pronzini.
Deborah
I still have the original copy of this book (belonging to my father), that we devoured as my "bedtime reading" as a kid.....no lie !!!
I found this book lurking on a bookshelf at my parent's house over Christmas and decided to give it a read as I'm currently on a true crime kick. While heavy on mafia members and old west outlaws, it was a fairly comprehensive encyclopedia. It was obvious which articles the author spent more time and effort on research wise, but most were substantial enough. The language used reflected the time period it was written in (ie: heeyyy there racism and misogyny!), but apparently there is a newer edit...more
David Ward
Bloodletters and Badmen: A Narrative Encyclopedia of American Criminals from the Pilgrims to the Present by Jay Robert Nash (M. Evans and Co, 1973)(920). This is more info than one could ever need about notorious American criminals. This book fascinates teenaged boys. My rating 7/10, finished 1974.
Jim O'shaughnessy
A wonderful rouge's gallery.
Chelsea
Chelsea marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2014
Mcarolina Figueredo
Mcarolina Figueredo marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2014
Fiona Lewis
Fiona Lewis marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2014
Rom
Rom added it
Aug 25, 2014
Mj
Mj marked it as to-read
Aug 12, 2014
Luanus
Luanus marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2014
· — — —
· — — — marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2014
Gabor
Gabor marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2014
Aria Maybin
Aria Maybin marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2014
Dana
Dana marked it as to-read
May 27, 2014
Tawonya Jamisom
Tawonya Jamisom marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Among the Missing: An Anecdotal History of Missing Persons from 1800 to the Present World Encyclopedia Of Organized Crime Hustlers and Con Men: An Anecdotal History of the Confidence Man and His Games Encyclopedia Of Western Lawmen and Outlaws Darkest hours: A narrative encyclopedia of worldwide disasters from ancient times to the present