Start by marking “Bloodletters and Badmen” as Want to Read:
Bloodletters and Badmen

Bloodletters and Badmen

3.89 of 5 stars 3.89  ·  rating details  ·  127 ratings  ·  13 reviews
This new edition of Bloodletters and Badmen represents the book's first major revision. Now Jeffrey Dahmer, Charles Keating, David Koresh, John Wayne Gacy and scores of others join Charles Manson, Meyer Lansky, Jesse James and Al Capone in one of the biggest, most fascinating compendium of true crime ever published.
Published April 20th 1995 by M. Evans and Company (first published 1973)

To ask other readers questions about Bloodletters and Badmen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bloodletters and Badmen

Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

Commercial Photography

This book is exactly what the cover says – an encyclopedia. If you are the owner of a very small and über annoying dog like me, I recommend not dropping it whilst said tiny critter is prancing around your feet lest you end up in the next edition as the “Great Puppy Killer of ’14.”

If you’re looking for in-depth coverage of your favorite bad guy, then this isn’t the book for you. If you’re looking to scare the shit out of your new neig
Melina
I love true crime and this is a nice, concise resource of many varied crimes, some famous, some not-so much, but all are interesting. It covers serial killers, sexual sadists, robbers, mobsters, and everything in between.
Joe Iacovino
The greatest bathroom book ever!
Thomas
I stole an old edition of this book from my high school library in 1985, after reading about Ed Gein for the first time. It's still here on my shelf. Sorry, Sherwood High!

I know, I'm a low-down dirty book thief, but I sure have gotten a lot of use of this book. One of my favorite entries is on Bonnie and Clyde, which includes two awesome poems by Bonnie Parker. Here, check out 'The Ballad of Bonnie and Clyde':
Somebody should turn those words into the lyrics o
Annette Oliver
Jan 16, 2008 Annette Oliver rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone who loves modern American history
Recommended to Annette by: my grandpa
This is the first book I've ever read. Maybe it was because I saw The Godfather. It was my grandpa's book. It took awhile to read it but it was very interesting and full of photos of old school gangsters. My grandpa was from Chicago and he ran around in that part of the city when he was young so he must've been fascinated with that era. So was I...
Walt
More general than his encyclopedia on organized crime, and hence, probably more accurate. He covers a great deal of information in a good manner.
Kelli
I have not read this book entirely, it's more of a "pick up here and there encyclopedia". Some of the murderers of the past are really interesting.
Neal Yamamoto
...lurid little summaries of just how bad humans can be; very interesting, 'though in a "watching-a-car-accident" kinda way...
Treplovski
Good reference, I think I first learned about this in an interview with Bill Pronzini.
Deborah
I still have the original copy of this book (belonging to my father), that we devoured as my "bedtime reading" as a kid.....no lie !!!
I found this book lurking on a bookshelf at my parent's house over Christmas and decided to give it a read as I'm currently on a true crime kick. While heavy on mafia members and old west outlaws, it was a fairly comprehensive encyclopedia. It was obvious which articles the author spent more time and effort on research wise, but most were substantial enough. The language used reflected the time period it was written in (ie: heeyyy there racism and misogyny!), but apparently there is a newer edit ...more
David Ward
Bloodletters and Badmen: A Narrative Encyclopedia of American Criminals from the Pilgrims to the Present by Jay Robert Nash (M. Evans and Co, 1973)(920). This is more info than one could ever need about notorious American criminals. This book fascinates teenaged boys. My rating 7/10, finished 1974.
Jim O'shaughnessy
A wonderful rouge's gallery.
Dakota
Dakota marked it as to-read
Dec 15, 2014
Christi Kelliher
Christi Kelliher marked it as to-read
Nov 30, 2014
Jesse F.
Jesse F. marked it as to-read
Nov 21, 2014
Ali Tortorello
Ali Tortorello marked it as to-read
Nov 20, 2014
Andreas
Andreas marked it as to-read
Nov 16, 2014
Nina
Nina marked it as to-read
Nov 09, 2014
Jennifer Gower
Jennifer Gower marked it as to-read
Nov 06, 2014
Sofaking Todded
Sofaking Todded marked it as to-read
Oct 25, 2014
Diane
Diane marked it as to-read
Oct 02, 2014
Gary
Gary marked it as to-read
Oct 02, 2014
Abbyyenchko
Abbyyenchko marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2014
Sonya Horbelt
Sonya Horbelt marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2014
  • The Trial of Gilles de Rais
  • Everything Is Under Control: Conspiracies, Cults and Cover-ups
  • The Ultimate Evil: The Truth about the Cult Murders: Son of Sam and Beyond
  • Red Heat: Conspiracy, Murder, and the Cold War in the Caribbean
  • The Popes (A Dark History)
  • قاموس أساطير  العالم
  • Syncopated: An Anthology of Nonfiction Picto-Essays
  • The A to Z Encyclopedia of Serial Killers
  • Nixon Volume #3: Ruin and Recovery 1973-1990
  • Say You Love Satan
  • No End Save Victory: Perspectives on World War II
  • Unexplained!: Strange Sightings, Incredible Occurrences & Puzzling Physical Phenomena
  • Stolen World: A Tale of Reptiles, Smugglers, and Skulduggery
  • Doc Holliday: The Life and Legend
  • The Serial Killers
Among the Missing: An Anecdotal History of Missing Persons from 1800 to the Present World Encyclopedia Of Organized Crime Hustlers and Con Men: An Anecdotal History of the Confidence Man and His Games Darkest hours: A narrative encyclopedia of worldwide disasters from ancient times to the present Encyclopedia Of Western Lawmen and Outlaws