Start by marking “Dracula's Heir” as Want to Read:
Dracula's Heir

Dracula's Heir

3.67  ·  Rating Details  ·  120 Ratings  ·  28 Reviews
In 1897, Archibald Constable & Company published Bram Stoker’s Dracula, the most famous horror novel of all time. For reasons still debated by scholars, the first chapter of Dracula was cut from the book just weeks before publication. Here, it becomes the central clue in a spine-tingling original interactive mystery.

Dracula’s Heir begins 10 years after the horrific ev
Published August 1st 2008 by Quirk Books

To ask other readers questions about Dracula's Heir, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dracula's Heir

Erika
May 04, 2015 Erika rated it liked it
Fun and original, a little predictable but the fun made up for it.
Robin
Dec 19, 2015 Robin rated it liked it
I'll admit first that I've never read Dracula, but of course I'm familiar with the story. Who isn't? This interactive mystery was an interesting and fun book, more for the novelty of removable inserts, a couple of "reproduced" notes, a photograph of a young girl who disappeared with her mother after being attacked and bitten on the neck.

I stumbled across this book on the sale shelf at Half Price Books, and the only downside is that the last insert, which judging by the synopsis of the book is a
Cornerofmadness
Dec 28, 2008 Cornerofmadness rated it really liked it

This is just what it sounds like, an interactive mystery. It’s just plain fun. It’s no big mystery or the world’s best writing but it does do a passable job of looking like it was written in Stoker’s era. It starts off as a bequeath of some documents to a young attorney named Jonathan Kelso from Lady Godalming but the bulk of it is made up of John Seward’s pov and his journals. (He’s the psychiatrist in Dracula, who tried to help Lucy.)

The book is campy. It’s done in faux red leather and it is
Josh
Sep 22, 2008 Josh rated it really liked it
This book was quite fun to read. The mystery wasnt all together too complex, and I figured out most of it, but there was one part in particular that took me by suprise. I probably would have figured it out had i taken the time to reread the book. The removable clues were pretty cool, and the ilistrations were awsome. Not only was this book a fun mystery but it was also a fairly good story. I would recomend this book to any who enjoy vampire stories and a moderate challenge.

A few complaints.
Reading Teen
Sep 28, 2011 Reading Teen rated it really liked it
Normally, I'm not very interested in vampire books. I read Twilight and hated it. I read The Chronicles of Vladimir Todd and loved it. That's about all of my range in vampire novels. But Dracula's Heir just seemed so original and fun with all of the notes and pictures added to it: I simply couldn't resist.

Dracula's Heir isn't the best book I've ever read; nor is it my favorite. But it was one of the most genius mysteries I have ever read. By the end of the book my jaw had literally dropped in sh
Dan
Aug 07, 2012 Dan rated it really liked it
Dracula's Heir is an "Interactive Mystery", which means that every few pages there is a pull-out handwritten note or fold-out newspaper which the reader can examine for clues and/or hidden messages. Gimmicky? Sure, a damn fun gimmick.

As a kid I had a similar book-- that one based on A Study in Scarlet. I loved it then, and the appeal of physical interaction with clues is just as strong now. Though the book feels slight in the hand, the nature of the enclosed objects is such that readers will sp
Nicholi Baldron
Sep 20, 2015 Nicholi Baldron rated it liked it
I bought this for my daughter for us to read together, but I ended up reading ahead and finishing. She'll love it, but I think it's a great book for anyone of any age. The fictional evidence does a great job at drawing you in and creating a more submersive story. I don't want to say any more and give anything away.
Ariel
Feb 28, 2015 Ariel rated it it was amazing
This was a really fun read. I love the way it was interactive, trying to figure out the mystery before the end. I was completely wrong though. Ha!
Liliana García
Jan 15, 2016 Liliana García rated it liked it
I always knew who was and bores me a little the long explanation.
But It was quite entertaining, books like this are a great idea.
Bushra
Sep 05, 2014 Bushra rated it really liked it
4.5
Amanda
Jan 02, 2009 Amanda rated it it was amazing
Thanks to Jackie for this fantastic and unexpected Christmas gift! I loved this book and finished it within an hour. I don't want to spoil what the mystery is, but I am very appreciative of yet another new and creative addition to my beloved Dracula, instead of a rewriting of it. And I don't care what the book is, it is cool to contain envelopes full of "surprises". I highly recommend this-- lots of fun!
Sara
Aug 03, 2013 Sara rated it really liked it
Lots of fun and the story is written really well. I guessed the big bad before it was revealed but failed to figure out the motive. So, I had to read the sealed "answer" at the back of the book. However, if I hadn't been so anxious to find out why and reread the first part of the book, I think I could have guessed it all. Maybe. ;)
Roswita
Apr 06, 2009 Roswita rated it really liked it
Shelves: vampires, mystery
A wonderful "what happens next" story. Sam Stall does an excellent job of continuing the Dracula saga and what occur in the lives of Dr. Van Helsing and Dr. Seward. The interactive mystery is a nice little twist that just made it all the more enjoyable.
Nancy
Aug 25, 2011 Nancy rated it it was amazing
Could not put it down. I had read the missing chapter from the original novel. How clever this is to make a mystery based on that missing chapter. I liked the multigenre format, especially the newspaper.
Aaronlisa
Aug 23, 2010 Aaronlisa rated it liked it
I picked this up at a sales table. It was a fun read although the mystery was easily solved. Still I got if for a quarter of the original price and it was fun so I can't complain.
Anne Michaud
Sep 05, 2013 Anne Michaud rated it really liked it
I *love* these cute books with little surprises hidden inside!! It's a shame the story was short, but at least it felt like the original, with journal entries and letters sealed in wax.
Chris
Aug 26, 2013 Chris rated it really liked it
I really enjoy these interactive mystery books. The page count is short but all of the bits and baubles that are included make it a captivating read anyway. It gets a 4 out of 5.
Boyd
Mar 17, 2013 Boyd rated it it was amazing
If you ever want to have fun on a cold dark evening with a friend, then read this book. It really gets you involved, and you will appreciate Dracula even more.
Michelle  (The Crazy Cat Lady)
Jul 28, 2013 Michelle (The Crazy Cat Lady) rated it liked it
Shelves: 2013
The clues were very fun, and it was certainly entertaining; just predictable from very early on, glaringly so. What's in a name? The whole plot, apparently.
Anne
Feb 28, 2011 Anne rated it did not like it
Shelves: fic
I'm not sure why I thought "Dracula's Heir" would be better than it so obviously would be. Sometimes shame on the author, this case, shame on me.
Cam
Oct 21, 2008 Cam rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery, vampires, horror
This was a really fun book. The removable clues were nicely done, and the story was well-written and engaging. A great Halloween book.
Cindy
Sep 22, 2008 Cindy rated it really liked it
Fun to read; almost like finding a stash of old mail/newspapers and figuring out the mystery. Granted, it was simple enough to solve.
Josh
Mar 26, 2013 Josh rated it really liked it
This was an interactive mystery book that came with props (party invitations, photographs) intended to be from the story.
Renae
Jun 07, 2011 Renae rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Rachelle DeMunck
Shelves: vampires, books-i-own
Gimmicky? Yes. Clever? Absolutely. Entertaining? Definitely. Not particularly deep, but worth an evening's read.
Kim Piddington
Aug 13, 2011 Kim Piddington rated it really liked it
I REALLY enjoyed this! The cover is awesome-the story was engaging- and I loved the multi-genre approach!
Cookie
Jan 30, 2009 Cookie added it
i really like it and it has been a while since i read it but it was really good!!!!!
Angie
Oct 07, 2008 Angie rated it liked it
Okay, what can I say...I'm a big dork. Kind of goofy and not much of a mystery.
Apr 21, 2012 Laura rated it it was amazing
A lot of fun, I love interactive books like this!
Caleb
Caleb marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2016
Jennifer rated it really liked it
Apr 25, 2016
  • Dracula's Brood: Neglected Vampire Classics
  • Vampires: Encounters With the Undead
  • The World's Great Speeches
  • Blow Him Away: How to Give Him Mind-Blowing Oral Sex
  • Gothic Art Now
  • Seance for a Vampire (Dracula Series, #8)
  • Speeches That Changed the World: The Stories and Transcripts of the Moments That Made History
  • The Pagemaster
  • Six Plays: Peer Gynt / A Doll's House / Ghosts / The Wild Duck / Hedda Gabler / The Master Builder
  • Great Love Poems
  • Blood to Blood (Dracula Continues, #2)
  • The Vampire Sextette
  • The Crimes of Dr. Watson
  • The Book of Three (Charmed)
  • On Golden Pond
  • Vlad Dracula: The Dragon Prince
  • Homophobia: A History
  • Four Plays: Summer and Smoke / Orpheus Descending / Suddenly Last Summer / Period of Adjustment