Start by marking “Old Greek Stories” as Want to Read:
Old Greek Stories

Old Greek Stories

3.81  ·  Rating Details  ·  723 Ratings  ·  28 Reviews
"Perhaps no other stories have ever been told so often or listened to with so much pleasure as the classic tales of ancient Greece. For many ages they have been a source of delight to young people and old, to the ignorant and the learned, to all who love to hear about and contemplate things mysterious, beautiful, and grand." Beautifully illustrated edition.
Published March 15th 2006 by Dodo Press (first published 1895)

To ask other readers questions about Old Greek Stories, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Old Greek Stories

Megha Chakraborty
Because of my Morton toe also commonly known as Greek feet, I have this likeness towards greek mythology. This book repeats many stories though. But its not that great but yeah a one time read. They have mostly covered thr common stories and the language is easy too.
So Hakim
Sep 27, 2011 So Hakim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: culture
A public domain book, which if you'd do some searching, may be found in some part of the web. It is very concise introduction to Greco-Roman mythology, with younger-audience-friendly tone of writing. No analysis, no comparative myths, and not even reference to ancient works -- only storytelling. Which, in strangely charming way, makes it even more readable.

The narration is enjoyable, and the book makes sure every popular figure is included. The only qualm is that the author opted to use Roman na
Myra
It had been a while since I've read some greek mythology. It is always so interesting and strange! I've listened to the audiobook on Librivox. Full review will come soon!
Hawra
Apr 03, 2012 Hawra rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
يأخذك هذا الكتاب منذ بدء نشوء الأسطورة وأسبابها وفائدة دراستها حتى شرحها بترجمة متقنة وتشكيل سليم، كما يتضمن أبيات شعرية ونثرية واقتباسات استشهادية تعرض على طاولة الاحتمالات أكثر من خيار لينقي القارئ منها ما يعجبه. وفي الواقع أجد هذا الكتاب من أكثر الكتب وضوحاً - مما قرأت - في شرح المثيولوجيا الأغريقية باللغة العربية وسيفيد حتماً الراغبين في التعرف عليها منذ نقطة البدء كونه يعرض الأسطورة بالتفصيل ويذكر أسماء الآلهة ووظائفهم و رتبهم، كما إنه يشرح الأقاصيص بشكل سلس وممتع ومشوق، لا يخلو من المبالغة ...more
Janna Rhodes
May 04, 2013 Janna Rhodes rated it really liked it
I was surprised how not overly sexist this book was for the time it was written and also considering ancient Greek culture in general. I read it to my daughter (8) and we both enjoyed the stories, which were written in an engaging way, with evocative but not too advanced language. I did change most of the instances of "men" to "people" and "mankind" to "humankind" while reading it, but otherwise it really held up. My daughter particularly enjoyed the story of Atalanta, which she compared to the ...more
Shubhang
A nice and concise collection of the old tales. Reading it made me realize how these stories continue to shape our lives. Stories are all pervasive and continue to shape our thinking, are ever present in our metaphors and anecdotes and more so in our movies. Some of the characters have abrupt beginning s and ends and with this book alone one cannot identify if it is upon the writer or the original story tellers. Overall a nice read.

A second expanded edition which discussed the historical context
Jessica Roberts
May 16, 2016 Jessica Roberts rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
These myths are rewritten for children, and written well, BUT

Any book that turns Gods into kings so as not to confuse or introduce the concept of polytheism to children needs to be thrown overboard. This is not bowdlerism, this is just a bad editorial decision. Give this one a pass. There are better books.
Karen P
Jul 20, 2016 Karen P rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The stories in the book are ones that we learnt about at school and have vague memories of from various films. It is nice to have them in one place and even though they are so well known they lose none of their magic. Loved it.
Freddy
Jul 14, 2016 Freddy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
this is a water down version of the horros of the Greek mythology. I would strongly recommend it for kids since it lacks the brutality of the gods but includes the bravery and the fun adventures of the heroes.
Amelia
Dec 31, 2014 Amelia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a very good, somewhat bowlderized collection of ancient Greek myths. The stories were mostly short and the language flows well. I intend to re-read this one aloud to the kids in the near-ish future.
tyetta
Aug 22, 2015 tyetta rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book provided me with some knowledge of greek mythology

I recommend this book to those who want to learn a few things about greek mythology. Good book Good book.
Utkarsha Singh
May 17, 2015 Utkarsha Singh rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
a precise, and engaging introduction to the history of Greek gods and goddesses narrated in the form of short stories. A must read starting book for people alien to the history of Greek gods and heroes. amazing bedtime read for kids.
Mairi McIntosh
Dec 06, 2015 Mairi McIntosh rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great

Very easy to follow and its brilliance is in the order in which the stories are arranged, it makes them into a giant storyline.
Manaswin
Oct 23, 2015 Manaswin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had been reading this to my niece at bedtime and surprisingly both of us enjoyed it. Highly recommended for someone who wants to refresh or gain some knowledge about Greek mythology.
Bucket
Oct 20, 2014 Bucket rated it liked it
Shelves: audio
Listened to the Libravox audio recording on a long drive.
Keith
Feb 03, 2014 Keith rated it it was amazing
Mythology is one of my favorite things, so of course these stories about Greek Mythology were very good!!!
dunkdaft
Neat insight into the basic storyline of the Greek Gods and heroes. Can be a starting point if you want to delve into Greek mythology further.

A few things though are amusing -

Jupiter was a playboy. He saw a girl - loved/abducted/married.
Each girl character was fair/fairer/fairest of all. So much for the 'fair' fascination.
Lord Kieran J D Hill
Great book and look in to Grecian life. I love some of the stories and it's always good to have a read into this fascinating culture.
Chad Warner
Aug 24, 2011 Chad Warner rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: fans of Greco-Roman mythology
Shelves: fiction
I love Greco-Roman mythology, and this book includes many short Greek myths. The stories include Jupiter, Prometheus, Pandora, Io, Arachne, Apollo, Daphne, Cadmus, Europa, Aesculapius, Admetus and Alcestis.

I listened to the free ThoughtAudio.com audiobook.
Debbie Simmons
Dec 27, 2014 Debbie Simmons rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My passion for mythology

I have always enjoyed mythology with deep passion and wonder of the stories the ancients marveled at. So entertaining and educational and I believe having a certain level of truth. Marvelous!

Marts  (Thinker)
Jan 27, 2013 Marts (Thinker) rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
Greek mythology is always filled with much beauty and adventure... With the likes of Pandora, Arachne, Cadmus, Prometheus, I remember reading most of these tales in high school.
The title 'Men and Gods' contains a lot of these stories...
Dara
Mar 10, 2013 Dara rated it really liked it
I am not very familiar with greek stories but this book makes them to sound very interesting and easy to read. I would recommend this book to other people who are, too, new to greek stories.
Paige
Sep 04, 2013 Paige rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good re-telling of these stories. There were a few I hadn't heard before. The only strange thing was lots of the names were Roman Mythology as opposed to Greek.
Roberta
Sep 17, 2012 Roberta rated it really liked it
A nice little introductory book to Greek mythology. Every child should read it, adults could start from here to develop better knowledge of the Greek heroes and gods
Kelly Wilson
Jan 08, 2011 Kelly Wilson rated it liked it
Since it was a free eBook, I thought I'd give it a go.

It's not a bad read although I think it was aimed at a younger audience with the writing style.
Evatong Zou
May 11, 2012 Evatong Zou rated it really liked it
it is easy reading and informative. i cannot drop my kindle when i am reading. however it does not inclide the golden flee abd hercules....
Sasha Rose
Dec 20, 2014 Sasha Rose rated it liked it
this is funny...
Fiorella Cecilia
Jun 19, 2013 Fiorella Cecilia rated it it was amazing
Love mythology stories and this book was amazing.... Short but interesting... Love it.
Puddin Littles
Puddin Littles rated it it was amazing
Aug 22, 2016
Max Hung
Max Hung marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2016
  • The Story Of The Greeks (1896)
  • Greek Myths
  • The Trojan Horse: How the Greeks Won the War
  • The Book of Nature Myths
  • Roman Diary: The Journal of Iliona of Mytilini: Captured and Sold as a Slave in Rome - AD 107
  • Persephone
  • The Gods and Goddesses of Olympus
  • Treasury of Norse Mythology: Stories of Intrigue, Trickery, Love, and Revenge
  • D'Aulaires' Greek Myths Student Guide
  • The King of Ireland's Son
  • The Wanderings of Odysseus: The Story of "The Odyssey"
  • Cleopatra
  • American History Stories You Never Read in School but Should Have (Vol.1)
  • The Adventures of Old Man Coyote

James Baldwin (1841-1925) was an American editor and author. Largely self-educated, he began teaching at the age of 24. In addition to editing school books, he started writing books of his own. After the publication in 1882 of The Story of Siegfried, he went on to write more
More about James Baldwin...

“back towards the Vale of Tempe. "Daphne!" cried the young man. She did not know that it was Apollo, the Lord of the Silver Bow; she only knew that the stranger was following her, and she ran as fast as her fleet feet could carry her. No young man had ever spoken to her before, and the sound of his voice filled her heart with fear. "She is the fairest maiden that I ever saw," said Apollo to himself. "If I could only look at her face again and speak with her, how happy I should be." Through brake, through brier, over rocks and the trunks of fallen trees, down rugged slopes, across mountain streams, leaping, flying, panting, Daphne ran. She looked not once behind her, but she heard the swift footsteps of” 0 likes
“Zeus,” 0 likes