Start by marking “Saint Behind Enemy Lines” as Want to Read:
Saint Behind Enemy Lines

Saint Behind Enemy Lines

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating Details  ·  58 Ratings  ·  21 Reviews
Published June 1st 1997 by Deseret Book Co

To ask other readers questions about Saint Behind Enemy Lines, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Saint Behind Enemy Lines

Keith Kendall
Sep 08, 2014 Keith Kendall rated it it was amazing

This is one of those rare books that kept bringing tears to my eyes as I read it. There were many parts that I wanted to remember. Rather than use a highlighter, I copied them here.

“Indeed, I was born in a time when no news in a Czeck newspapers could produce any real excitement for life. Life was filled with twisted lies from the top to the bottom, as was the news in any newspaper.” Page 2

“… the Communists and the secret police - were always somehow unsure when they saw someone happy, dancing a
Linda
May 26, 2014 Linda rated it really liked it
So fascinating for me to read the true experiences of a young adult in Czechoslovakia who joined the LDS Church while that country was under communist control. The little handful of Mormons had to meet in secret with the blinds pulled down and baptisms were performed in the dark of night. The author, Olga Kovarova, was instrumental in bringing over forty fellow Czechs into the church during these dark days of communism. I've never read a book that gave me greater insight into how communism warps ...more
Jay
Aug 10, 2012 Jay rated it liked it
Olga Kovarova grew up in Communist Czechoslovakia in the '70s and '80s. From an early age she looked for some meaning in life, beyond the cynical and nihilistic drinking, smoking, and sex that seemed the only non-scholastic activities of her peers. Good at sports, she eventually also took up yoga. Her teacher, an unprepossessing older man, used the discipline and principles of yoga to gradually introduce her to the Gospel. Eventually Olga learned that he was a member of the small, secret Church ...more
Megan
Feb 27, 2012 Megan rated it really liked it
Loved this book about a Czech woman who converted to The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints during the communist regime.

Olga Kovarova tells what it was like to grow up under communism. She shares her journey of finding God despite the years of indoctrination in atheism. She tells of the challenges of finding and practicing religion in a political climate where doing so could get her put in prison. For example, her baptism took place secretly, at night, in a reservoir.

It was inspiring
Emily O.
May 22, 2016 Emily O. rated it it was amazing
No, this wasn't the most eloquently written book I've ever read, but the story was absolutely phenomenal. Olga showed me what the Gospel is capable of achieving in the heart-- even in the coldest, most hard of hearts. Its light can penetrate, its love can heal. I am grateful to Olga for sharing her story of faith.
Natasha
Jan 02, 2016 Natasha rated it it was amazing
Loved this book! Beautifully, humbly told. What an incredible woman and story. Inspiring. Met Olga's mother-in-law, Linda, last week and loved hearing more stories from her, too.
Leslie
Tried to get into this one but found the narrative long and overly detailed. The title was certainly more dramatic than the narrative for me.
Ange
Mar 11, 2008 Ange rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: LDS Women
Recommended to Ange by: My Mother
Shelves: lds, autobiography
An inspiring and spiritually enlightening story of a woman who grew up in Czeckoslavakia. An account of her step-by-step conversion and how she helped convert many others. It really gave me a greater understanding of how minuet each little step in conversion is and opened my eyes to how simply sharing ideas and attitudes about life in general are awesome ways of sharing the gospel too. The author is very thoughtful and meticulous in her thoughts and I enjoyed reading about the growth of the Chur ...more
Randall McNeely
May 01, 2013 Randall McNeely rated it it was amazing
I've read this book twice and been tremendously inspired both times. What an amazing woman! What an amazing group of people who were willing to put their lives on the line to share the light and truth of the gospel of Jesus Christ. My heart thrilled as I read of that creative ways they came up with to share gospel principles without openly stating that they were gospel principles. How grateful I am for the opportunity to learn of these modern pioneers and saviors on Mount Zion! The book was well ...more
Katie Rayl
Jun 08, 2011 Katie Rayl rated it it was ok
The book itself was just ok. But I did think it was fascinating to hear how different the church was under communism, when everything members did was very secretive and underground. I also thought it was fascinating that the way they initially introduced the church to others was through yoga. We always think the first thing to do when trying to introduce the gospel is to hand out a Book of Mormon, but where they were that was illegal. Members had to be so wary with who they were open with about ...more
Heidi
Jan 07, 2009 Heidi rated it liked it
This book provides interesting insight into communist Czechoslovakia and the church's growth/existence during that time. The author is from an area close to where my family is from and her comparison between Bohemia and Moravia was also interesting. However, the main character (author) wasn't terribly likeable and the text is poorly written. I'm glad I read it, but don't think it's a "must read" for anyone other than a missionary in CZ, someone from CZ or anyone interested in communism.
Michele Casper
Oct 23, 2010 Michele Casper rated it really liked it
Shelves: religious, biography
This is an account of the LDS church and its survival in Czechoslovakia during the Communist era. It is told by a woman who found the gospel because of an interest in yoga, then helped to preach gospel principles secretly in the form of yoga retreats. Olga's commitment and desire to be led by the spirit to help her countrymen is inspiring.
Barbara
Mar 17, 2010 Barbara rated it liked it
One of my students recommended this book to me. It is the story of a young girl's conversion to the church in Communist Czechoslovakia. Since my paternal grandmother was born there, I was very intersted in reading the book. It was interesting historically and also inspiring to read of the courage of the early saints in that country.
Stephi K.
Nov 02, 2008 Stephi K. rated it really liked it
The autobiography of a woman who converted to the LDS church in Communist Czechloslovakia. She shares what it's like living under a communist regime, which I was interested in, and how she spread light and truth the best of her ability in trying circumstances. I loved her positive attitude and found her an amazing person.
Anne
Jul 23, 2009 Anne rated it liked it
This is the autobiography of friend of mine. She tells of her experience of being a Christian in a communist country. Very interesting to see how she handled the restrictions in her life because she is a Christian. I was taken a back to think this happened to a friend of mine in my lifetime.
Zetta
Mar 10, 2008 Zetta rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. It is such a good view of the time during communist control in many countries where the gospel wasn't able to be preached. I loved her narrative and perspective on missionary work. If you can find a copy of this book I highly recommend it!
Tiffany
Apr 01, 2010 Tiffany rated it really liked it
great story about a Chech girl joining the church durning Communist timnes. I loved it-great insight on how communism affected the lives of the people and how the small group of members shared the gospel through yoga.
Maren bosley
Oct 10, 2013 Maren bosley rated it really liked it
Amazing true story! I love reading about the faith and courage of those that follow the Savior and their convictions despite the forces of evil that surround them!
Jessica
Nov 12, 2010 Jessica rated it really liked it
I loved this book about a Czech woman who joins the LDS church behing the Iron Curtain. A quick read that leaves you inspired.
Michele R
Aug 22, 2009 Michele R rated it it was amazing
Inspiring book of a woman who learned about the LDS faith and was baptized in communist czechoslovakia
Dede
Jul 05, 2009 Dede rated it really liked it
Interesting and inspiration read, although the ending got a little cheesy.
Crystal
Crystal marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2016
Camille Driggs
Camille Driggs marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2016
Betsy
Betsy marked it as to-read
Jun 07, 2016
Karen
Karen added it
Jun 06, 2016
Lindsay Dutson
Lindsay Dutson marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2016
Molly
Molly rated it really liked it
Mar 31, 2016
Stephanie
Stephanie marked it as to-read
Jan 12, 2016