Start by marking “Saint Behind Enemy Lines” as Want to Read:
Saint Behind Enemy Lines

Saint Behind Enemy Lines

4.02 of 5 stars 4.02  ·  rating details  ·  49 ratings  ·  19 reviews
Published June 1st 1997 by Deseret Book Co

To ask other readers questions about Saint Behind Enemy Lines, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Saint Behind Enemy Lines

Keith Kendall

This is one of those rare books that kept bringing tears to my eyes as I read it. There were many parts that I wanted to remember. Rather than use a highlighter, I copied them here.

“Indeed, I was born in a time when no news in a Czeck newspapers could produce any real excitement for life. Life was filled with twisted lies from the top to the bottom, as was the news in any newspaper.” Page 2

“… the Communists and the secret police - were always somehow unsure when they saw someone happy, dancing a
Linda
So fascinating for me to read the true experiences of a young adult in Czechoslovakia who joined the LDS Church while that country was under communist control. The little handful of Mormons had to meet in secret with the blinds pulled down and baptisms were performed in the dark of night. The author, Olga Kovarova, was instrumental in bringing over forty fellow Czechs into the church during these dark days of communism. I've never read a book that gave me greater insight into how communism warps ...more
Jay
Olga Kovarova grew up in Communist Czechoslovakia in the '70s and '80s. From an early age she looked for some meaning in life, beyond the cynical and nihilistic drinking, smoking, and sex that seemed the only non-scholastic activities of her peers. Good at sports, she eventually also took up yoga. Her teacher, an unprepossessing older man, used the discipline and principles of yoga to gradually introduce her to the Gospel. Eventually Olga learned that he was a member of the small, secret Church ...more
Megan
Loved this book about a Czech woman who converted to The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints during the communist regime.

Olga Kovarova tells what it was like to grow up under communism. She shares her journey of finding God despite the years of indoctrination in atheism. She tells of the challenges of finding and practicing religion in a political climate where doing so could get her put in prison. For example, her baptism took place secretly, at night, in a reservoir.

It was inspiring
Leslie
Tried to get into this one but found the narrative long and overly detailed. The title was certainly more dramatic than the narrative for me.
Ange
Mar 11, 2008 Ange rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: LDS Women
Recommended to Ange by: My Mother
Shelves: lds, autobiography
An inspiring and spiritually enlightening story of a woman who grew up in Czeckoslavakia. An account of her step-by-step conversion and how she helped convert many others. It really gave me a greater understanding of how minuet each little step in conversion is and opened my eyes to how simply sharing ideas and attitudes about life in general are awesome ways of sharing the gospel too. The author is very thoughtful and meticulous in her thoughts and I enjoyed reading about the growth of the Chur ...more
Randall McNeely
I've read this book twice and been tremendously inspired both times. What an amazing woman! What an amazing group of people who were willing to put their lives on the line to share the light and truth of the gospel of Jesus Christ. My heart thrilled as I read of that creative ways they came up with to share gospel principles without openly stating that they were gospel principles. How grateful I am for the opportunity to learn of these modern pioneers and saviors on Mount Zion! The book was well ...more
Katie Rayl
The book itself was just ok. But I did think it was fascinating to hear how different the church was under communism, when everything members did was very secretive and underground. I also thought it was fascinating that the way they initially introduced the church to others was through yoga. We always think the first thing to do when trying to introduce the gospel is to hand out a Book of Mormon, but where they were that was illegal. Members had to be so wary with who they were open with about ...more
Heidi
This book provides interesting insight into communist Czechoslovakia and the church's growth/existence during that time. The author is from an area close to where my family is from and her comparison between Bohemia and Moravia was also interesting. However, the main character (author) wasn't terribly likeable and the text is poorly written. I'm glad I read it, but don't think it's a "must read" for anyone other than a missionary in CZ, someone from CZ or anyone interested in communism.
Michele Casper
This is an account of the LDS church and its survival in Czechoslovakia during the Communist era. It is told by a woman who found the gospel because of an interest in yoga, then helped to preach gospel principles secretly in the form of yoga retreats. Olga's commitment and desire to be led by the spirit to help her countrymen is inspiring.
Barbara
One of my students recommended this book to me. It is the story of a young girl's conversion to the church in Communist Czechoslovakia. Since my paternal grandmother was born there, I was very intersted in reading the book. It was interesting historically and also inspiring to read of the courage of the early saints in that country.
Stephi K.
The autobiography of a woman who converted to the LDS church in Communist Czechloslovakia. She shares what it's like living under a communist regime, which I was interested in, and how she spread light and truth the best of her ability in trying circumstances. I loved her positive attitude and found her an amazing person.
Anne
This is the autobiography of friend of mine. She tells of her experience of being a Christian in a communist country. Very interesting to see how she handled the restrictions in her life because she is a Christian. I was taken a back to think this happened to a friend of mine in my lifetime.
Zetta
I loved this book. It is such a good view of the time during communist control in many countries where the gospel wasn't able to be preached. I loved her narrative and perspective on missionary work. If you can find a copy of this book I highly recommend it!
Tiffany
great story about a Chech girl joining the church durning Communist timnes. I loved it-great insight on how communism affected the lives of the people and how the small group of members shared the gospel through yoga.
Maren bosley
Amazing true story! I love reading about the faith and courage of those that follow the Savior and their convictions despite the forces of evil that surround them!
Jessica
I loved this book about a Czech woman who joins the LDS church behing the Iron Curtain. A quick read that leaves you inspired.
Michele R
Inspiring book of a woman who learned about the LDS faith and was baptized in communist czechoslovakia
Dede
Interesting and inspiration read, although the ending got a little cheesy.
Sarah added it
Dec 17, 2014
Karen
Karen marked it as to-read
Nov 04, 2014
Karin
Karin marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2014
Stephan van Velzen
Stephan van Velzen marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2014
Rebecca
Rebecca marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2014
Deanna
Deanna marked it as to-read
May 27, 2014
Connie
Connie is currently reading it
Mar 20, 2014