Start by marking “The Hostile Takeover Trilogy (Hostile Takeover, #1-3)” as Want to Read:
The Hostile Takeover Trilogy (Hostile Takeover, #1-3)

The Hostile Takeover Trilogy (Hostile Takeover #1-3)

3.96 of 5 stars 3.96  ·  rating details  ·  79 ratings  ·  11 reviews
In the 24th century, humans have built a star-spanning Confederacy that encompasses 83 worlds-plus one. The 84th planet is Bakunin, where power belongs to whoever can seize it. With no taxes, no antitrust laws, and no governing body, it's the perfect home base for mega-corporations and criminals.
Published November 2nd 2004 by DAW

To ask other readers questions about The Hostile Takeover Trilogy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Hostile Takeover Trilogy

Fuzzy Gerdes
S. Andrew Swann's Hostile Takeover trilogy of books came up in a discussion of "libertarian science fiction" and for some reason that notion caught my eye. There are plenty of anarchist and libertarian names and quotes scattered through the book, but really I'd say it's much more space opera than political fiction. Fortunately, it's entertaining space opera.
Niall519
This one seemed like it very badly wanted to be Dune when it grew up, but unfortunately Swann's style lacked any of Herbert's ornamentation or occasional lyricism. The premise was interesting, and there were moments it was good... but the moments became frustrating because so much of the rest was utterly pedestrian. And don't get me started on the attempted/aborted romance.

I love the idea of political, economic and social explorations in SF, and books such as Kim Stanley Robinson's Mars trilogy
Roger Eschbacher
This whopper of a trilogy ("Profiteer", "Partisan", "Revolutionary") follows two brothers as they battle over Bakunin - an outlaw planet of congenital individualists located in the heart of the vast Confederacy. As the title hints, Bakunin is crawling with various corporations, each of which is a power unto itself, right down to having their own security forces which more closely resemble national armies.

Dominic Magnus, a Bakunin CEO, and his brother Klaus, an agent of the Confederacy's covert o
Andrew
This book is for those who enjoy commentary on the world we live in. While the writing itself doesn't exactly show off any flair, the story does.

This wonderful book covers questions in many areas including: government, death, freedom, humanity, worth, redemption, revenge, and that is to just name a few. I have read this book 7 times and I would gladly read it again and focus in on another string of questions the book provides.

If you enjoy reads that make you think this book will be for you, if
Ryan Beck
I first read this trilogy as the three separately released books back when I was in high school. When I came upon the omnibus version of it I decided to purchase and read it all again. This is a great, action packed novel with intriguing characters and an interesting analysis of anarchy in the face of a universal confederation. It's a fun read for the action, but is packed with depth beyond the guns and explosions.
Adam
One of my favorite books, and not to be taken lightly. To put it short, this is libertarian economic military sci-fi with strong female characters and a deep story so engaging it'll have you turning the pages from beginning to end. That's all I'm gonna say about it.. If this gets you to read the 'Hostile Takeover' Trilogy, be warned. This is NOT light sci-fi. But it's REALLY good.
Calen
A sci-fi operatic adventure exploring what an anarchic/free market world would look like in an otherwise regulated "federation". Interesting if somewhat hollow characters, an extremely captivating storyline, and an interesting premise thoughtfully examined. I also should note it deals with both extremely advanced technology and time travel better than most. Good read.
Shawn Raiford
Awesome book! Hard to believe this was written in the 90's!
Joshua Clayton
Jan
Oct 05, 2009 Jan is currently reading it
Shelves: sci-fi, series
Three in one edition. The double crosses get a tad tiring. Can one truly exist always expecting never to trust at all?
Brett
Jun 21, 2009 Brett added it
Science Fiction
Shannon
Shannon marked it as to-read
Nov 21, 2014
Kris
Kris added it
Oct 04, 2014
Coyora Dokusho
Coyora Dokusho marked it as to-read
Sep 29, 2014
Jack
Jack added it
Sep 23, 2014
Jeffrey
Jeffrey marked it as to-read
Sep 07, 2014
Richard
Richard marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2014
David
David marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2014
Tim
Tim added it
Jul 15, 2014
boookwyrm
boookwyrm marked it as to-read
May 07, 2014
Cathy S
Cathy S marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
S. Andrew Swann is the primary pseudonym of Steven Swiniarski, who also writes as S.A. Swiniarski, Steven Krane, and S.A. Swann.
More about S. Andrew Swann...
Prophets (Apotheosis, #1) The Dragons of the Cuyahoga (Cleveland Portal #1) Forests of the Night (Moreau, #1) Fearful Symmetries: The Return of Noha Rajasthan (Moreau, #4) Emperors of the Twilight (Moreau, #2)

“As she walked, trying to find a hotel--any hotel--she was offered at least ten different ways of getting high, four or five ways of getting laid, and at least one way of getting even.” 1 likes