Start by marking “Bad Bet on the Bayou: The Rise and Fall of Gambling in Louisiana and the Fate of Governor Edwin Edwards” as Want to Read:

Louisiana is our most exotic state. It is religious and roguish, a place populated by Cajuns, Creoles, Rednecks, and Bible-thumpers. It is a state that loves good food, good music, and good times. Laissez les bons temps rouler -- let the good times roll -- is the unofficial motto. Louisiana is also excessively corrupt.

In the 1990s, it plunged headlong into legalized gambli
Published May 15th 2002 by Farrar, Straus and Giroux (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Bad Bet on the Bayou, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bad Bet on the Bayou

Steven
Aug 23, 2007 Steven rated it really liked it
I love Louisiana for a lot of reasons. My first trip there (without family) was my sophomore year in college when my beloved Gators won their first national championship against the team of my youth, the Florida State Seminoles. More than that though, Louisiana in general, and especially New Orleans, is a place where the word “place” means something. Like a lot of places in the South, to go there is different from going to other places. It is not just about the sweet tea or the Cajun accents, or ...more
Zoe
Aug 10, 2010 Zoe rated it liked it
Shelves: history, southern-us
This was an insightful view into Louisiana politics. Unfortunately, it's also easy to see how such an in-depth study of domestic corruption was probably lost in the aftermath of 9/11. Foreign policy, however, has done nothing to change the issues at play in Louisiana, as Katrina and now the oil disaster reveal. This book that examines a 4-term governor and his legacy and offers a good study in some of the forces that have kept Louisiana from developing a more diverse and solid economy.
Jonathan
Mar 14, 2011 Jonathan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's been over 15 years since I lived in NOLA and I had forgotten how corrupt the place was. This book brought it all back. I gave it 5 stars because this book can be appreciated and enjoyed by those who have never enjoyed the greatness that is New Orleans and Louisiana.
Julianna I
May 07, 2008 Julianna I rated it really liked it
Read this book and you will forever understand the depth of New Orleans corruption. To me, it was fascinating.
Michael
Michael rated it really liked it
Dec 06, 2014
James McDaniel
James McDaniel rated it it was amazing
Sep 10, 2014
Thane Gauthier
Thane Gauthier rated it really liked it
Oct 27, 2012
Denny Hooten
Denny Hooten rated it liked it
Jan 24, 2016
Heather
Heather rated it really liked it
Jun 04, 2014
Gill
Gill rated it it was ok
Apr 07, 2007
Y
Y rated it liked it
Aug 13, 2010
Gabriel
Gabriel rated it liked it
Feb 05, 2008
Thane
Thane rated it really liked it
Jul 07, 2012
Matt Persson
Matt Persson rated it liked it
May 23, 2014
Phyllis
Phyllis rated it it was amazing
Jun 06, 2014
Dave Edwards
Dave Edwards rated it it was ok
Feb 19, 2013
Karen
Karen rated it really liked it
Sep 11, 2016
Natasha
Natasha rated it really liked it
Feb 17, 2011
Kate
Kate rated it liked it
Oct 07, 2008
Christine
Christine rated it really liked it
Dec 14, 2010
Michael
Michael rated it really liked it
Nov 15, 2013
Jamie
Jamie rated it really liked it
Sep 10, 2008
Kurt
Kurt rated it really liked it
Mar 16, 2010
Amelia Cronan
Amelia Cronan rated it really liked it
Feb 03, 2014
Pablo
Pablo rated it it was amazing
Aug 18, 2010
Morgan Crutcher
Morgan Crutcher rated it liked it
Apr 30, 2012
Marlene Hessdorfer
Marlene Hessdorfer rated it it was ok
Nov 29, 2016
Jim
Jim rated it it was amazing
Sep 05, 2008
Keith Galloway
Keith Galloway rated it it was ok
Apr 25, 2011
Connie
Connie rated it liked it
Aug 05, 2012