Bad Bet on the Bayou: The Rise and Fall of Gambling in Louisiana and the Fate of Governor Edwin Edwards

3.76 of 5 stars 3.76  ·  rating details  ·  51 ratings  ·  6 reviews
Louisiana is our most exotic state. It is religious and roguish, a place populated by Cajuns, Creoles, Rednecks, and Bible-thumpers. It is a state that loves good food, good music, and good times. Laissez les bons temps rouler -- let the good times roll -- is the unofficial motto. Louisiana is also excessively corrupt.

In the 1990s, it plunged headlong into legalized gambli...more
Published May 15th 2002 by Farrar, Straus and Giroux (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Bad Bet on the Bayou, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bad Bet on the Bayou

Steven
I love Louisiana for a lot of reasons. My first trip there (without family) was my sophomore year in college when my beloved Gators won their first national championship against the team of my youth, the Florida State Seminoles. More than that though, Louisiana in general, and especially New Orleans, is a place where the word “place” means something. Like a lot of places in the South, to go there is different from going to other places. It is not just about the sweet tea or the Cajun accents, or...more
Zoe
This was an insightful view into Louisiana politics. Unfortunately, it's also easy to see how such an in-depth study of domestic corruption was probably lost in the aftermath of 9/11. Foreign policy, however, has done nothing to change the issues at play in Louisiana, as Katrina and now the oil disaster reveal. This book that examines a 4-term governor and his legacy and offers a good study in some of the forces that have kept Louisiana from developing a more diverse and solid economy.
Jonathan
It's been over 15 years since I lived in NOLA and I had forgotten how corrupt the place was. This book brought it all back. I gave it 5 stars because this book can be appreciated and enjoyed by those who have never enjoyed the greatness that is New Orleans and Louisiana.
Jeff
Having lived there when the Attorney General went to prison for perjury, nothing surpises. I was able to get as far as the the story about a college classmate begging for his life from mobsters. A good story, but a lot of detail to plow through.
Julianna I
Read this book and you will forever understand the depth of New Orleans corruption. To me, it was fascinating.
Reed
An unreal look at the corruption that is a way of life of politics in Louisiana.
Bernadette
Bernadette marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2014
Travis
Travis marked it as to-read
Feb 17, 2014
Kathy
Kathy marked it as to-read
Jan 12, 2014
dSh
dSh marked it as to-read
Dec 30, 2013
Robert Brunck
Robert Brunck marked it as to-read
Sep 30, 2013
Kelly
Kelly marked it as to-read
Oct 26, 2013
Tscallahan
Tscallahan marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2013
Walt
Walt marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2013
Ronald Wilcox
Ronald Wilcox marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2013
Sam Mire
Sam Mire is currently reading it
Nov 25, 2012