Start by marking “Little Tiny Teeth” as Want to Read:
Little Tiny Teeth

Little Tiny Teeth (Gideon Oliver #14)

A new mystery to chill the bones-from the Edgar(r) Award-winning author of Unnatural Selection.

When forensics professor Gideon Oliver joins an Amazon riverboat expedition with a group of research botanists, he expects a nice vacation. What he gets is heat, corrupt officials, dangerous insects and animals-and worse.

As they travel upriver, one of the botanists is killed
Paperback, Large Print, 417 pages
Published January 31st 2008 by Wheeler Publishing (first published June 5th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Little Tiny Teeth, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Little Tiny Teeth

Kathy  Petersen
My husband has developed a pleasant addiction to the TV series Bones, and I tend to participate. But, as the bumper sticker proclaims, I'd rather be reading. Gideon Oliver is a forensic anthropologist, as is "Bones." The similarity, I think, ends in the career choice, but that's why I looked into Dr. Oliver.

Anyway, my first venture sweeps me into the Amazon on a trek that includes savage tribes, drug trafficking, murder, several twists ... and piranhas, from whence the "little tiny teeth."

An en
James
Mar 07, 2012 James rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Would have given it four stars but for a couple of facts about insects (If I remember correctly) and food that may be incorrect, at least when we visited Iquitos in 1997 and again in 1998. Mystery was only OK but enjoyed being taken back to a city and a river that have special places in our hearts. If you ever visit Iquitos, you must eat at Ari's Burger. Story brought back great memories.
Diane
Feb 08, 2009 Diane rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nice and fast read. Did not like it as well as his other books. I think because I was expecting more of the same. This story is a little different. More twists and turns.
Janet
Nov 17, 2007 Janet rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A classic who done it, set on a seedy Amazon cruise boat, complete with piranhas, headhunters, wild eyed botanists, drug dealers, giant spiders, and great food. Who could ask for more?
Hobart
Jun 25, 2014 Hobart rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014-reads
Any further thoughts were interrupted by an excited clamor from the crew members on their break down below at the riverfront. They were jabbering in pidgin Spanish, pointing down into the water, and calling, apparently to Gideon. He was able to understand a few words: "Oiga, esqueletero! Aqui le tengo unos huesos!" Hey, skeleton man, I have some bones for you!
He jumped up. "They've found some bones."
"More bones?" John said, getting up too. "What is it about you, Doc? Do you bring this on yoursel
Dlora
Nov 18, 2008 Dlora rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoy Aaron Elkins' books about Gideon Oliver and his forensic anthropolgy investigations. It tickles me that the "Skeleton Detective" is squeamish around dead, fresh bodies but he loves dry bones and the stories they can tell. This novel wasn't my most favorite of Elkins', but I still liked it. The story has a fascinating setting--the Amazon rainforest. Gideon with his two buddies are checking out a tour possibility for "On the Cheap" vacations. Also on the river boat are a group of ac ...more
Betty
Jan 31, 2009 Betty rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: cozy murder mystery fans
A little different from some of the other Gideon Oliver aka Skeleton Detective series, it was still fun and educational as well. Julie, Gideon's wife & her friend Marti Lau, wife of Gideon's good friend John Lau, have decided to vacation at a spa in Cabo San Lucas, and she tells Gideon he and John should take a vacation together somewhere too. A phone call to another friend who arranges vacations "On The Cheap" soon sets them up for a trip to the Amazon.

The book opens with a scene from the
Matt
Aug 06, 2013 Matt rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dr. Gideon Oliver embarks on an adventure with his good friend, FBI Agent John Lau. They head into the depths of the Amazon, aboard a boat with a handful of ethnobotanists, in search of a break from the every day. What begins as highly educational trip turns ugly as bodies begin turning up and the local drug trade heats up. Oliver and Lau use their respective skills not only to investigate, but also to help the others on the boat before they, too, become fish bait.

Elkins takes a new approach to
Ellen
Little Tiny Teeth by Aaron Elkins.

The Amazon may seem like the least likely place for Gideon along with his long time pal, John Lau, from Hawaii to spend a relaxing vacation...but that's exactly where they find themselves. They were invited to join other botanists to research some of the plant life in the Amazon while their wives, Julie and Marti did their own relaxation thing a little closer to home.

Soon, however, the hot climate along with the humidity and extremely tiny cabins gets the better
Janice
Jan 04, 2016 Janice rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Laurel
Jul 20, 2008 Laurel rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's always fun to read a new "Gideon Oliver, Skeleton Detective" tale - Gideon is a forensic anthropologist, a middle-aged professor who lives on the Olympic Peninsula with his forest-ranger wife Julie. Everywhere he goes, of course, a murder - new or old - is sure to crop up, requiring his particular brand of expertise. This time it's during a "vacation" cruise with his FBI agent friend, John Lau, on the Amazon River - the title teeth refer to those of the flesh-eating pirhanas. These stories ...more
Shannon
Jun 05, 2009 Shannon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: light-mystery
In my opinion you jsut can't go wrong with an Aaron Elkins mystery. They are light and fun to read, always set in an interesting location. Gideon is an amiable guy and you always learn something. I am an anthropologist and enjoy that slant to the books.

In this one, Gideon is on an adventure cruise on the Amazon (or a side tributary thereof) the bulk of the passengers are ethnobotanists although there is one ethnoentymologist thrown in the mix. you know you are in for a fun time when a home-made
Hailey Leigh
A very slow, who dunnit, novel. While this novel definitely had interesting aspects, I enjoy learning about other people's knowledge specialities, it took so long for the plotline to pick up and actually start going somewhere that I almost gave up on the book. Once the story really started, about three-quarters of the way through the book, it became very interesting very fast. This was my first foray into the world of the Skeleton Doctor to be fair, so I may have enjoyed it more if I'd been invo ...more
Julie
Oct 27, 2011 Julie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I sure enjoy these books. Gideon Oliver is a Skeleton Detective, pre Temperance Brennan, CSI et.al., etc. Easy reads and fun. I figured out the "first" bad guy almost immediately; but not the second. Shrunken heads; headhunter tribes, deadly blow darts, hairy legged spiders the size of kittens, drug cartels, piranha, and unrelenting heat and merciless humidity make the Amazon sound so appealing...NOT. (To be fair, this is not how Elkins painted the Amazon; just my perception based on what he wro ...more
Monical
My first effort on reading this author, who was recommended when I was looking up another mystery writer. A short book, a quick read, and a bit too telegraphed for me. The protagonist, nicknamed the "Skeleton Doctor" didn't come into his own until the last 50 pages or so of the book, which got much more interested to me at that point. Some good characters, but the plot was a bit far-fetched in my opinion.
Gayle
Aug 09, 2011 Gayle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Aaron Elkins never fails to intrigue and entertain! This book is no exception - takes place on a boat trip down the Amazon river. It was supposed to be a vacation, but of course Gideon finds himself in the middle of yet another intrigue. Elkins writes with a good sense of humor; he writes intelligently, and, the books can be rated PG or PG-13!!!! And, PG-13 only because murder is involved and for descriptions of forensic analysis. There is mild language, but very rarely.
John
Jun 07, 2008 John rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another exceptional effort by Elkins. He doesn't write many but those he writes are excellent. This story takes place in the Amazon River basin and, typical Elkins, he gives you several twists and turns in his plot. These are cerebral mysteries without a great deal of blood, violence, sex, etc.. That may turn some folks off but it's just the type of mystery that tweaks my fancy. If you like mysteries and are not an Elkins fan, you ought to be.
Virginia Walter
Those little tiny teeth belong to piranhas, who can strip a skeleton of its flesh in 30 minutes, leaving the bones as evidence for forensic anthropologist Gideon Oliver. Gideon and his buddy John are cruising the Amazon on a rundown river boat when the murders and other mysterious occurrences begin to happen.
Linda
Apr 22, 2015 Linda rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: challenge
3.5 stars. This is the first Gideon Oliver boo live read and I liked that it didn't matter that I hadn't read any others. A nice little cruise down the Amazon turns muderous. I totally had things figured out wrong but that might be expected since I was coming up with solutions before I even had a corpse. Fun read.
Anne
Jan 22, 2014 Anne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Perfect reading for frigid cold January days. The tale takes place as the Skeleton Detective and two of his friends scope out an Amazon cruise on a rehabilitated vessel. Naturally bodies disappear, blood spots are found, toxic academic characters, plants, creatures and drug smugglers abound...you get the picture.
Marissa Goetschel
Finding the book at the library I thought I'd give it a shot despite not reading any of the other titles in the series. After the excitement of the prologue I thought the book was kind of slow moving. It was worth sticking with the story. Once things picked up the story became very fascinating and kept me interested to find out what was coming next.
Lora
Apr 16, 2010 Lora rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the first Aaron Elkins book that I remember reading. I did not feel 'lost' and was able to quickly get to know the returning characters. I would enjoy reading more of the books in the series. Although I guessed some of the plot twists, I did not guess others. The setting in the Amazon was interesting. The characters were believable and could be related to.
Paul Wells
Feb 13, 2010 Paul Wells rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sell
An oddly uneven novel - scenes such as a crucial meeting with a drug lord are skipped over, whereas a pointless meal in a restaurant are dwelt over lovingly. And less a mystery novel, more like some things happen and the characters stumble over a solution.

Part of a series, and part of a series I won't be bothering about.
Cat.
Jul 08, 2012 Cat. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, fiction
Debra
Jan 01, 2012 Debra rated it liked it
I enjoy traveling around the world with Gideon Oliver as he solves murder mysteries at every turn. Oliver can't seem to walk out his front door with tripping over bones but that is part of the charm of the Skeleton Detective novels. Probably deserves more than a 3 but I was in a hurry and found the large print distracting. Strange.
Joanne
Jan 04, 2008 Joanne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
I like Aaron Elkins' mysteries a lot. They all feature Gideon Oliver, "The Skeleton Detective," who trips over (usually) long-dead bodies in the course of his travels. This time he's in the Amazon, where the skeleton has been cleaned by piranhas, the "little tiny teeth" of the title. Lots of nice description of setting. A little less witty dialogue than usual. But a nice cozy read.
Erin
Jan 01, 2011 Erin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this novel because the characters are well written, but it is not as good as the rest of the series. It loses something by not having Gideon work with bones really at all. The descriptions of plant, animal and human life in the amazon are the only thing that saves it.
Sonja
Jan 17, 2009 Sonja rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Honestly, not his best. There was just a little of the fun bone detecting that makes this series interesting and the story overall just didn't hold my attention as well as many of his other books have.
Rodney
Jun 28, 2012 Rodney rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not bad. Not as good as some of the others. It took was waaaaay too long to get going. The whole story felt forced, and there wasn't much of the bones stuff in this one. Oh well. In a series this long, there's bound to be some that aren't that good.
Carolyn Rose
Mar 24, 2015 Carolyn Rose rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting setting and good description of the Amazon, the heat and hardships, and the characters on board the ship. I don't know what's accurate or what isn't, but I enjoyed the cruise even though the mystery wasn't complicated.
  • Bone Hunter (Em Hansen Mystery, #5)
  • A Wicked Slice (Lee Ofsted, #1)
  • The Chinese Alchemist (Lara McClintoch Archeological Mystery, #11)
  • Death, Guns, and Sticky Buns (Tori Miracle, #3)
  • Relics (Faye Longchamp, #2)
  • A Ghost of a Chance (A Shannon Delaney Paranormal Mystery #1)
  • Death of a Rug Lord (Den of Antiquity, #14)
  • The Shaman's Game
  • Martians in Maggody (Arly Hanks, #8)
  • The Thunder Keeper (Wind River Reservation, #7)
  • Click Here For Murder (Turing Hopper, #2)
  • The Day of St. Anthony's Fire
  • Echoes
  • Dead Write (Forensic Handwriting Mystery #3)
  • Scots on the Rocks (Bed-and-Breakfast Mysteries, #23)
Aaron J. Elkins AKA Aaron Elkins (born Brooklyn July 24, 1935) is an American mystery writer. He is best known for his series of novels featuring forensic anthropologist Gideon Oliver—the 'skeleton detective'. The fourth Oliver book, Old Bones, received the 1988 Edgar Award for Best Novel. As Oliver is a world-renowned authority, he travels around the world and each book is set in a different and ...more
More about Aaron Elkins...

Gideon Oliver (1 - 10 of 18 books)
  • Fellowship of Fear (Gideon Oliver, #1)
  • The Dark Place (Gideon Oliver, #2)
  • Murder in the Queen's Armes (Gideon Oliver, #3)
  • Old Bones (Gideon Oliver, #4)
  • Curses! (Gideon Oliver, #5)
  • Icy Clutches (Gideon Oliver, #6)
  • Make No Bones (Gideon Oliver, #7)
  • Dead Men's Hearts (Gideon Oliver, #8)
  • Twenty Blue Devils (Gideon Oliver, #9)
  • Skeleton Dance (Gideon Oliver, #10)