Start by marking “Little Tiny Teeth” as Want to Read:
Little Tiny Teeth

Little Tiny Teeth (Gideon Oliver #14)

3.81 of 5 stars 3.81  ·  rating details  ·  559 ratings  ·  60 reviews
A new mystery to chill the bones-from the Edgar(r) Award-winning author of Unnatural Selection.

When forensics professor Gideon Oliver joins an Amazon riverboat expedition with a group of research botanists, he expects a nice vacation. What he gets is heat, corrupt officials, dangerous insects and animals-and worse.

As they travel upriver, one of the botanists is killed
Paperback, Large Print, 417 pages
Published January 1st 2008 by Wheeler Publishing (first published June 5th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Little Tiny Teeth, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Little Tiny Teeth

Kathy  Petersen
My husband has developed a pleasant addiction to the TV series Bones, and I tend to participate. But, as the bumper sticker proclaims, I'd rather be reading. Gideon Oliver is a forensic anthropologist, as is "Bones." The similarity, I think, ends in the career choice, but that's why I looked into Dr. Oliver.

Anyway, my first venture sweeps me into the Amazon on a trek that includes savage tribes, drug trafficking, murder, several twists ... and piranhas, from whence the "little tiny teeth."

An en
Hobart
Any further thoughts were interrupted by an excited clamor from the crew members on their break down below at the riverfront. They were jabbering in pidgin Spanish, pointing down into the water, and calling, apparently to Gideon. He was able to understand a few words: "Oiga, esqueletero! Aqui le tengo unos huesos!" Hey, skeleton man, I have some bones for you!
He jumped up. "They've found some bones."
"More bones?" John said, getting up too. "What is it about you, Doc? Do you bring this on yoursel
James
Would have given it four stars but for a couple of facts about insects (If I remember correctly) and food that may be incorrect, at least when we visited Iquitos in 1997 and again in 1998. Mystery was only OK but enjoyed being taken back to a city and a river that have special places in our hearts. If you ever visit Iquitos, you must eat at Ari's Burger. Story brought back great memories.
Janet
A classic who done it, set on a seedy Amazon cruise boat, complete with piranhas, headhunters, wild eyed botanists, drug dealers, giant spiders, and great food. Who could ask for more?
Diane
Nice and fast read. Did not like it as well as his other books. I think because I was expecting more of the same. This story is a little different. More twists and turns.
Matt
Dr. Gideon Oliver embarks on an adventure with his good friend, FBI Agent John Lau. They head into the depths of the Amazon, aboard a boat with a handful of ethnobotanists, in search of a break from the every day. What begins as highly educational trip turns ugly as bodies begin turning up and the local drug trade heats up. Oliver and Lau use their respective skills not only to investigate, but also to help the others on the boat before they, too, become fish bait.

Elkins takes a new approach to
Betty
A little different from some of the other Gideon Oliver aka Skeleton Detective series, it was still fun and educational as well. Julie, Gideon's wife & her friend Marti Lau, wife of Gideon's good friend John Lau, have decided to vacation at a spa in Cabo San Lucas, and she tells Gideon he and John should take a vacation together somewhere too. A phone call to another friend who arranges vacations "On The Cheap" soon sets them up for a trip to the Amazon.

The book opens with a scene from the
Dlora
I really enjoy Aaron Elkins' books about Gideon Oliver and his forensic anthropolgy investigations. It tickles me that the "Skeleton Detective" is squeamish around dead, fresh bodies but he loves dry bones and the stories they can tell. This novel wasn't my most favorite of Elkins', but I still liked it. The story has a fascinating setting--the Amazon rainforest. Gideon with his two buddies are checking out a tour possibility for "On the Cheap" vacations. Also on the river boat are a group of ac ...more
Linda
3.5 stars. This is the first Gideon Oliver boo live read and I liked that it didn't matter that I hadn't read any others. A nice little cruise down the Amazon turns muderous. I totally had things figured out wrong but that might be expected since I was coming up with solutions before I even had a corpse. Fun read.
Marissa Goetschel
Finding the book at the library I thought I'd give it a shot despite not reading any of the other titles in the series. After the excitement of the prologue I thought the book was kind of slow moving. It was worth sticking with the story. Once things picked up the story became very fascinating and kept me interested to find out what was coming next.
Claire
I decided I wasn't really interested in blatant mystery, so it wasn't worth my time right now thinking about this plot in too much depth, though it is interesting to read about the lost tribe. There must have been quite a large amount of research that the author conducted.
Carolyn Rose
Interesting setting and good description of the Amazon, the heat and hardships, and the characters on board the ship. I don't know what's accurate or what isn't, but I enjoyed the cruise even though the mystery wasn't complicated.
Carol
Well, I am not particularly impressed by this book. The writing was so so. The plot was silly and the protagonist not impressive. So I do not anticipate reading anymore of these books. Sorry Kev.
Anne
Perfect reading for frigid cold January days. The tale takes place as the Skeleton Detective and two of his friends scope out an Amazon cruise on a rehabilitated vessel. Naturally bodies disappear, blood spots are found, toxic academic characters, plants, creatures and drug smugglers abound...you get the picture.
Shannon
In my opinion you jsut can't go wrong with an Aaron Elkins mystery. They are light and fun to read, always set in an interesting location. Gideon is an amiable guy and you always learn something. I am an anthropologist and enjoy that slant to the books.

In this one, Gideon is on an adventure cruise on the Amazon (or a side tributary thereof) the bulk of the passengers are ethnobotanists although there is one ethnoentymologist thrown in the mix. you know you are in for a fun time when a home-made
Laurel
It's always fun to read a new "Gideon Oliver, Skeleton Detective" tale - Gideon is a forensic anthropologist, a middle-aged professor who lives on the Olympic Peninsula with his forest-ranger wife Julie. Everywhere he goes, of course, a murder - new or old - is sure to crop up, requiring his particular brand of expertise. This time it's during a "vacation" cruise with his FBI agent friend, John Lau, on the Amazon River - the title teeth refer to those of the flesh-eating pirhanas. These stories ...more
Ingrid Parker
I like the friendship of Gideon, John and a Phil, their banter is what makes this book a fun read.
Gabrielle
Fine pulp read for the train.
Terry Polston
A fun book to read. This could be an addictive series to read. There are recurring characters and I am interested in learning more about them.
Julie
I sure enjoy these books. Gideon Oliver is a Skeleton Detective, pre Temperance Brennan, CSI et.al., etc. Easy reads and fun. I figured out the "first" bad guy almost immediately; but not the second. Shrunken heads; headhunter tribes, deadly blow darts, hairy legged spiders the size of kittens, drug cartels, piranha, and unrelenting heat and merciless humidity make the Amazon sound so appealing...NOT. (To be fair, this is not how Elkins painted the Amazon; just my perception based on what he wro ...more
Gayle
Aaron Elkins never fails to intrigue and entertain! This book is no exception - takes place on a boat trip down the Amazon river. It was supposed to be a vacation, but of course Gideon finds himself in the middle of yet another intrigue. Elkins writes with a good sense of humor; he writes intelligently, and, the books can be rated PG or PG-13!!!! And, PG-13 only because murder is involved and for descriptions of forensic analysis. There is mild language, but very rarely.
Sandy Weir
This time Giddeon is in the Amazon on a botanical cruise. A convoluted plot that keep me reading from chapter to chapter and great characters make this such an entertaining read.
John
Another exceptional effort by Elkins. He doesn't write many but those he writes are excellent. This story takes place in the Amazon River basin and, typical Elkins, he gives you several twists and turns in his plot. These are cerebral mysteries without a great deal of blood, violence, sex, etc.. That may turn some folks off but it's just the type of mystery that tweaks my fancy. If you like mysteries and are not an Elkins fan, you ought to be.
Joanne
I like Aaron Elkins' mysteries a lot. They all feature Gideon Oliver, "The Skeleton Detective," who trips over (usually) long-dead bodies in the course of his travels. This time he's in the Amazon, where the skeleton has been cleaned by piranhas, the "little tiny teeth" of the title. Lots of nice description of setting. A little less witty dialogue than usual. But a nice cozy read.
Lora
This is the first Aaron Elkins book that I remember reading. I did not feel 'lost' and was able to quickly get to know the returning characters. I would enjoy reading more of the books in the series. Although I guessed some of the plot twists, I did not guess others. The setting in the Amazon was interesting. The characters were believable and could be related to.
Debra S
I enjoy traveling around the world with Gideon Oliver as he solves murder mysteries at every turn. Oliver can't seem to walk out his front door with tripping over bones but that is part of the charm of the Skeleton Detective novels. Probably deserves more than a 3 but I was in a hurry and found the large print distracting. Strange.
Paul Wells
An oddly uneven novel - scenes such as a crucial meeting with a drug lord are skipped over, whereas a pointless meal in a restaurant are dwelt over lovingly. And less a mystery novel, more like some things happen and the characters stumble over a solution.

Part of a series, and part of a series I won't be bothering about.
Virginia Walter
Those little tiny teeth belong to piranhas, who can strip a skeleton of its flesh in 30 minutes, leaving the bones as evidence for forensic anthropologist Gideon Oliver. Gideon and his buddy John are cruising the Amazon on a rundown river boat when the murders and other mysterious occurrences begin to happen.
Cat
Erin
I liked this novel because the characters are well written, but it is not as good as the rest of the series. It loses something by not having Gideon work with bones really at all. The descriptions of plant, animal and human life in the amazon are the only thing that saves it.
  • The Chinese Alchemist (Lara McClintoch Archeological Mystery, #11)
  • Bone Hunter (Em Hansen Mystery, #5)
  • Strangers (Faye Longchamp, #6)
  • Martians in Maggody (Arly Hanks, #8)
  • Scots on the Rocks (Bed-and-Breakfast Mysteries, #23)
  • A Ghost of a Chance (A Shannon Delaney Paranormal Mystery #1)
  • Bright Hair About the Bone (Laetitia Talbot, #2)
  • The Spirit Woman (Wind River Reservation, #6)
  • The Silver Ghost (Kelling & Bittersohn, #8)
  • Death of a Rug Lord (Den of Antiquity, #14)
  • The Shaman's Bones (Charlie Moon, #3)
  • Click Here For Murder (Turing Hopper, #2)
  • The Harry Bosch Novels, Volume 4: The Narrows, The Closers, Echo Park (Harry Bosch, #10-12)
  • Echoes
Aaron J. Elkins AKA Aaron Elkins (born Brooklyn July 24, 1935) is an American mystery writer. He is best known for his series of novels featuring forensic anthropologist Gideon Oliver—the 'skeleton detective'. The fourth Oliver book, Old Bones, received the 1988 Edgar Award for Best Novel. As Oliver is a world-renowned authority, he travels around the world and each book is set in a different and ...more
More about Aaron Elkins...

Gideon Oliver (1 - 10 of 17 books)
  • Fellowship of Fear (Gideon Oliver, #1)
  • The Dark Place (Gideon Oliver, #2)
  • Murder in the Queen's Armes (Gideon Oliver, #3)
  • Old Bones (Gideon Oliver, #4)
  • Curses! (Gideon Oliver, #5)
  • Icy Clutches (Gideon Oliver, #6)
  • Make No Bones (Gideon Oliver, #7)
  • Dead Men's Hearts (Gideon Oliver, #8)
  • Twenty Blue Devils (Gideon Oliver, #9)
  • Skeleton Dance (Gideon Oliver, #10)
Fellowship of Fear (Gideon Oliver, #1) Old Bones (Gideon Oliver, #4) A Dangerous Talent (Alix London, #1) The Dark Place (Gideon Oliver, #2) Dead Men's Hearts (Gideon Oliver, #8)