Start by marking “Heaven Is Real: Lessons on Earthly Joy--From The Man Who Spent 90 Minutes In Heaven” as Want to Read:

3.87 of 5 stars 3.87  ·  rating details  ·  387 ratings  ·  56 reviews
New inspiration from the million-copy bestselling author of 90 Minutes in Heaven.

Don Piper's 90 Minutes in Heaven has sold more than a million copies and has been translated into 12 languages. Now, from "The Minister of Hope" comes the follow-up that millions of readers have been waiting for.

Published August 7th 2007 by Berkley Hardcover

To ask other readers questions about Heaven Is Real, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Heaven Is Real

Brent Soderstrum
This is a sequal to 90 Minutes in Heaven in which the author died in a traffic accident and goes to heaven. This book was even better then the first. In this book Piper descibes how all of us go through life changing events-both good and bad. Once the event takes place there is no turning back. These include someone close to us dying, the loss of a job, an accident, a financial setback, a divorce etc. The natural response is to wallow in self pity and wish things like they use to be. We need to...more
Christy
I had the good fortune of receiving Don's other book "90 Minutes In Heaven," for Christmas a few years ago, which is an extraordinarystory, as is this one.In this book, Don focuses more on his 'return from Heaven,' faith, love, a desire to continue with life even after tragic and/or life altering events. I take delight in how Don uses bridges to describe events in life that in some way leave us forever changed. We ALL cross bridges (marry, become parents, or mourn the of death of a loved one jus...more
Talia
This book is great for people who are struggling with a setback in life: an illness, a divorce, a job loss, the death of a loved one, etc. Don Piper has gone through his share of struggles recovering from a fatal car accident (and I say "fatal" because he did actually die but came back to life), and he gives encouragement in this book to others who might be struggling and wondering why this is happening to them or if it's worth it to continue on. This is definitely a Christian book, so I don't k...more
Amanda
This book is inspiring as Don Piper recounts how his amazing story has helped other. He also hits in some really good themes such as finding purpose after tragedy, adjusting to the "new normal" after a life-changing event, etc. However, the book is poorly written and feels choppy. I had an extremely difficult time getting through it. I appreciate the message, but the writing and organization of this book held me back.
Kendra
I agree with the principles that the author spoke about in this book... that being said, I feel like it could've been a page, instead of over 200. The book felt like a really long book review of his first novel. Since I didn't read the first novel, it felt like bragging. It's a great message, just poorly written.
Drb
Great book by a sincere Christian who is a minister. Very convincing, lines right up with the Bible. I would recommend it to everyone, especially someone who just lost a loved one to death and who knows they were ready to meet the Lord. Very encouraging.
Debi
This was the best book I have ever read in my entire life other than the Bible. It changed my life forever. It made me realize that I could overcome any problems and use those problems to bring others to know Jesus Christ.
Judi
Perfect book to get your head thinking about what we are here to accomplish. Easy to sit back and think about the past, the pain, the hurt, the heartache BUT ... we need to work through all the pain and figure out what our purpose is for on this earth. Here's a guy who went thru 34 major operations, 13 months in the hospital followed by 2 years of rehab.

Some quotes I highlighted in the book
- "When you were born, your cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, you will r...more
Kristen
This book fell short of my expectations. While I appreciate that Don Piper has written about his miraculous experience, this book felt too preachy for me. I was upset that he considered the most important and significant point in his life was when he became a born again Christian and in his mind, that is the only reason he went to heaven when he died (and now he tries to convert people so they too can go to heaven - I'm not amused).
I wanted an interesting read and I went into it with a very ope...more
Shewit
Nov 09, 2007 Shewit rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: if u belive in god this is nice book to read
this book was nice read book.this book is about religious.about one person who was religious and loves god.before he became religious he was nt interested in god but one day to young kids came to his house and they invite him to join them to the church and after they explain him what activity they do he be came interested and willing to join them.in the next Sunday he went to the church and he was happy and he was feeling like he is at home.after a couple of days he become member of the church.o...more
Gayle
Having read the author's original book, "90 Minutes In Heaven" i thoroughly enjoyed this follow-up. The simple yet profound truths that he writes about were a great refreshment to my soul. This book is valuable for anyone, Christian or non-Christian, but would be especially helpful to those who are dealing with a physical trauma or chronic illness and learning to live with their new normal. But that doesn't preclude anyone gaining insights to life and hope and encouragement from the author's wor...more
Lncropper
Joke on me! I was supposed to read Heaven is FOR Real for a book club, and got this one from the library by mistake. It was good, but it is the sequel to a book called "Ninety Minutes in Heaven." The author did not tell much about his actual experience, which is covered in the earlier book. This one tells about some of the ways his other book affected readers, but since I hadn't read the first one..... I don't know that I buy his claim that he was actually dead for 90 minutes, though I do recogn...more
Donald
An inspirational book about how to live a more godly and loving life from a man who went to heaven for ninety mintues and came back. The stories are nice and inspiring, but since the focus of this book is more on what he's learned and wants to pass on to others rather than on what happened to him (which you can read in "90 Minutes in Heaven"), I found myself wishing I had read that book first, as it probably would have helped fill in some of the backstory (even though he does a "Reader's Digest"...more
Francine Hines
this was an amazing book of. how this young man. was actully. killed. found himself in heaven among people. he. knew who were there. he. was walking talking. doing. great. happy. such. beauty. & the music singing. & praise then. he. had to go back. start. a life of such. injury. unbelievable. what. he went through. of course. a friend had to convince the ems he was alive. . god had a work for him on earth but he would rather b back in heaven. read this great book to see all he went throu...more
Roger
This author's first book of his experiences of dying, spending 45 minutes in heaven, and a long hard rehabilitation is compelling and thought provoking. This book gives many example of how his life of telling his story has affected people. Unfortunately, if a reader is well studied on this topic - and has an accurate understanding and practice of Christian doctrine - this book brings little new to the table and the examples are often over simplistic.
Grace
Jul 26, 2011 Grace rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone
A great book giving you a plan to deal with difficulties in your life. When you feel that you can't go on that your situation is hopeless there is always hope. You can't go back but you can have a new normal, a new beginning. Life is always worth living so live for Jesus.

In Heaven is Real, Piper shared how life's trials can be turned into spiritual lessons, when we are open to the certainty of God's grace and love.
Hope
This book was recommended to me by my "beach friend" who is experiencing joy during a difficult time in her life.
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. It was a genuine look at dealing with difficult circumstances in life where when we get beyond the "why?" and the anger, we can begin embracing our new normal and find joy again.
I definitely recommend this book.
Jackie
Mar 12, 2008 Jackie rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone!
While I was reading, "90 Minutes in Heaven" by this author, I found out one of my co-workers' personal story was in this book.
Both of these books by Don Piper are so encouraging and uplifting! If you want a glimpse into heaven, read "90 Minutes in Heaven." If you want affirmation and faithful encouragement, read this book.
Heather
This book is OK, but I liked his first book "90 minutes in Heaven" better. It's much more exciting because he talks about what happened when he died in a car accident and came back to life 90 minutes later. This book is full of mini spiritual lessons, but most of them I'm already familiar with, so I'm a little bored.
Marja Meijers
Although Don Piper repeats himself quite often in this book, I enjoyed it because I learned a valuable lesson: after tragedy, sickness, divorce, trauma or whatever horrible thing will happen in our lives, we must find the 'new normal' and live on and live purposely! A very encouraging book on how to go from tragedy to triumph!
America Quiroz
ITS A GOOD BOOK
Ghine
I did enjoy the book although I don't agree with all of Piper's views. The bottom line is not only surviving crisis' in your life and hardships, but growing from them and sharing your growth & your hope with others. And that is a good bottom line in my 'book.'
Heather
I liked the message of the book- what lessons the author has learned since his ninety minutes in heaven and extensive recovery. The only flaw with the book is that it could have been written in about half the length since much of what he says is repetitive.
Davis909301
I am listening to this one on audio. I like the encouragement it offers and the tales of people's lives that have been touched by the author's experience. I am going to read the first book, "90 Minutes in Heaven" after I finish this.
Sandy Neal
Very rare that I don't finish a book. A friend lent me this one because I so enjoyed Don Piper's 90 Minutes in Heaven. But this book was too repetitive of that story and I gave up 1/2 way through. Also too preachy!
Mom
This is a second book by the man who wrote 90 Minutes in Heaven. Very interesting reading as he continues his life journey and shares the lessons he has learned from it. A book to make you think.
Bev
I read different parts of this book to my teenage children and it really sparked an interest in them..My 15 yr old son actually joined church and got baptized last sunday..Thanx Mr. Piper
Holly

I got this book from my grandma to read. It was good and prompted some self reflection, but I kind of wish I had read his first book 90 Minutes in Heaven before I read this.
Tom Park
The authors are a little redundant, but the message is strong and moving. I enjoyed the book and recommend it to others, especially those who have suffered some kind of loss.
  • A Travel Guide to Heaven
  • Your Soul's Plan: Discovering the Real Meaning of the Life You Planned Before You Were Born
  • Where Angels Walk
  • Murder by Family: The Incredible True Story of a Son's Treachery & a Father's Forgiveness
  • Holy Bible: Revised Standard Version
  • How to Study the Bible for Yourself
  • Safe in the Shepherd's Arms
  • Memories of the Afterlife: Life-Between-Lives Stories of Personal Transformation
  • Closer to the Light: Learning from the Near-Death Experiences of Children
  • The Fitting Room: Putting on the Character of Christ
  • Don't Know Much About the Bible: Everything You Need to Know About the Good Book but Never Learned
  • Ghosts Among Us: Uncovering the Truth About the Other Side
  • The Dog That Talked to God
  • Here and Now: Living in the Spirit
  • It: How Churches and Leaders Can Get It and Keep It
  • Now They Call Me Infidel: Why I Renounced Jihad for America, Israel, and the War on Terror
  • Pathway to Purpose for Women: Connecting Your To-Do List, Your Passions, and God's Purposes for Your Life
  • 23 Minutes In Hell: One Man's Story About What He Saw, Heard, and Felt in That Place of Torment
On January 18th, 1989, Don Piper died in a car accident. Ninety minutes later, after a preacher prayed over him, Piper came back to life with an extraordinary story. He'd been to heaven. So began the phenomenon of 90 Minutes in Heaven.

Now, for the millions who look to him for inspiration, Piper offers the hope that if he could survive his ordeal after the accident, then others can survive whateve...more
More about Don Piper...
90 Minutes in Heaven: A True Story of Death & Life Daily Devotions Inspired by 90 Minutes in Heaven: 90 Readings for Hope and Healing 90 Minutes In Heaven Member Workbook: Seeing Life's Troubles In A Whole New Light Encouragement from 90 Minutes in Heaven: Selections from the Life-Changing New York Times Bestseller Getting to Heaven: Departing Instructions for Your Life Now