Start by marking “Heaven Is Real: Lessons on Earthly Joy--From The Man Who Spent 90 Minutes In Heaven” as Want to Read:

3.90  ·  Rating Details  ·  475 Ratings  ·  60 Reviews
New inspiration from the million-copy bestselling author of 90 Minutes in Heaven.

Don Piper's 90 Minutes in Heaven has sold more than a million copies and has been translated into 12 languages. Now, from "The Minister of Hope" comes the follow-up that millions of readers have been waiting for.

On January 18th, 1989, Don Piper died in a car accident. Ninety minutes later,
Published August 7th 2007 by Berkley

To ask other readers questions about Heaven Is Real, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Heaven Is Real

Brent Soderstrum
May 23, 2010 Brent Soderstrum rated it it was amazing
This is a sequal to 90 Minutes in Heaven in which the author died in a traffic accident and goes to heaven. This book was even better then the first. In this book Piper descibes how all of us go through life changing events-both good and bad. Once the event takes place there is no turning back. These include someone close to us dying, the loss of a job, an accident, a financial setback, a divorce etc. The natural response is to wallow in self pity and wish things like they use to be. We need to ...more
Saige Holcomb
May 29, 2015 Saige Holcomb rated it it was amazing
“Heaven is Real” was a very inspiring book for me. I learned so many lessons from this book that I did not know before. One of the lessons that I learned from this book is that being forgiving is what God wants, and that it is sinful to hold onto grouches. What I like most about Heaven is Real is that a man named Don Piper was very inspired by God because he spent a little time with him when he was in that car crash and died for 90 minutes, now he is sharing his faith and adventure with us.

“Heav
Christy
Oct 26, 2012 Christy rated it really liked it
I had the good fortune of receiving Don's other book "90 Minutes In Heaven," for Christmas a few years ago, which is an extraordinarystory, as is this one.In this book, Don focuses more on his 'return from Heaven,' faith, love, a desire to continue with life even after tragic and/or life altering events. I take delight in how Don uses bridges to describe events in life that in some way leave us forever changed. We ALL cross bridges (marry, become parents, or mourn the of death of a loved one jus ...more
Talia
Sep 04, 2012 Talia rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2012-books-read
This book is great for people who are struggling with a setback in life: an illness, a divorce, a job loss, the death of a loved one, etc. Don Piper has gone through his share of struggles recovering from a fatal car accident (and I say "fatal" because he did actually die but came back to life), and he gives encouragement in this book to others who might be struggling and wondering why this is happening to them or if it's worth it to continue on. This is definitely a Christian book, so I don't k ...more
Amanda
Mar 13, 2008 Amanda rated it it was ok
This book is inspiring as Don Piper recounts how his amazing story has helped other. He also hits in some really good themes such as finding purpose after tragedy, adjusting to the "new normal" after a life-changing event, etc. However, the book is poorly written and feels choppy. I had an extremely difficult time getting through it. I appreciate the message, but the writing and organization of this book held me back.
Kendra
Apr 10, 2012 Kendra rated it did not like it
I agree with the principles that the author spoke about in this book... that being said, I feel like it could've been a page, instead of over 200. The book felt like a really long book review of his first novel. Since I didn't read the first novel, it felt like bragging. It's a great message, just poorly written.
Drb
Feb 09, 2011 Drb rated it it was amazing
Great book by a sincere Christian who is a minister. Very convincing, lines right up with the Bible. I would recommend it to everyone, especially someone who just lost a loved one to death and who knows they were ready to meet the Lord. Very encouraging.
Debi
Aug 03, 2012 Debi rated it it was amazing
This was the best book I have ever read in my entire life other than the Bible. It changed my life forever. It made me realize that I could overcome any problems and use those problems to bring others to know Jesus Christ.
Judi
Jul 06, 2012 Judi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christianity
Perfect book to get your head thinking about what we are here to accomplish. Easy to sit back and think about the past, the pain, the hurt, the heartache BUT ... we need to work through all the pain and figure out what our purpose is for on this earth. Here's a guy who went thru 34 major operations, 13 months in the hospital followed by 2 years of rehab.

Some quotes I highlighted in the book
- "When you were born, your cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, you will r
Kristen
Feb 07, 2012 Kristen rated it it was ok
This book fell short of my expectations. While I appreciate that Don Piper has written about his miraculous experience, this book felt too preachy for me. I was upset that he considered the most important and significant point in his life was when he became a born again Christian and in his mind, that is the only reason he went to heaven when he died (and now he tries to convert people so they too can go to heaven - I'm not amused).
I wanted an interesting read and I went into it with a very ope
Jennifer Robb
Jan 17, 2016 Jennifer Robb rated it really liked it
I don't agree with everything the author wrote in this book, but I do think he had some good points about wishing things could be "the way they were". In some cases, returning is impossible and instead, we have to learn to function or be useful in what Piper calls the "new normal" of our life. It's not an easy process nor a quick one, but it can be done--and it can lead you to new compassion for others, to a new ministry or a new way to help others.
Shewit
Nov 09, 2007 Shewit rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: if u belive in god this is nice book to read
this book was nice read book.this book is about religious.about one person who was religious and loves god.before he became religious he was nt interested in god but one day to young kids came to his house and they invite him to join them to the church and after they explain him what activity they do he be came interested and willing to join them.in the next Sunday he went to the church and he was happy and he was feeling like he is at home.after a couple of days he become member of the church.o ...more
Gayle
Jan 21, 2014 Gayle rated it it was amazing
Shelves: salvation, heaven
Having read the author's original book, "90 Minutes In Heaven" i thoroughly enjoyed this follow-up. The simple yet profound truths that he writes about were a great refreshment to my soul. This book is valuable for anyone, Christian or non-Christian, but would be especially helpful to those who are dealing with a physical trauma or chronic illness and learning to live with their new normal. But that doesn't preclude anyone gaining insights to life and hope and encouragement from the author's wor ...more
SouthWestZippy
Wonderful read. Well written for a quick read.
Opens ups a bit more then 90 Minutes in Heaven did and talks about his experience when the first book came out and he went on tour promoting it.
Lncropper
Dec 21, 2011 Lncropper rated it liked it
Joke on me! I was supposed to read Heaven is FOR Real for a book club, and got this one from the library by mistake. It was good, but it is the sequel to a book called "Ninety Minutes in Heaven." The author did not tell much about his actual experience, which is covered in the earlier book. This one tells about some of the ways his other book affected readers, but since I hadn't read the first one..... I don't know that I buy his claim that he was actually dead for 90 minutes, though I do recogn ...more
Perky Texan
Mar 02, 2016 Perky Texan rated it it was amazing
Really needed this book at this time in my life. Great lessons on learning to live again after an unbelievable tragedy, when your dreams change and you have to grieve the life you planned on living.
Donald
Jul 07, 2008 Donald rated it liked it
An inspirational book about how to live a more godly and loving life from a man who went to heaven for ninety mintues and came back. The stories are nice and inspiring, but since the focus of this book is more on what he's learned and wants to pass on to others rather than on what happened to him (which you can read in "90 Minutes in Heaven"), I found myself wishing I had read that book first, as it probably would have helped fill in some of the backstory (even though he does a "Reader's Digest" ...more
Francine Hines
Sep 04, 2012 Francine Hines rated it it was amazing
this was an amazing book of. how this young man. was actully. killed. found himself in heaven among people. he. knew who were there. he. was walking talking. doing. great. happy. such. beauty. & the music singing. & praise then. he. had to go back. start. a life of such. injury. unbelievable. what. he went through. of course. a friend had to convince the ems he was alive. . god had a work for him on earth but he would rather b back in heaven. read this great book to see all he went throu ...more
Steven Wooten Jr
Jul 25, 2014 Steven Wooten Jr rated it it was amazing
Wow must read
Roger
Dec 06, 2012 Roger rated it did not like it
This author's first book of his experiences of dying, spending 45 minutes in heaven, and a long hard rehabilitation is compelling and thought provoking. This book gives many example of how his life of telling his story has affected people. Unfortunately, if a reader is well studied on this topic - and has an accurate understanding and practice of Christian doctrine - this book brings little new to the table and the examples are often over simplistic.
Grace
Jul 26, 2011 Grace rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
A great book giving you a plan to deal with difficulties in your life. When you feel that you can't go on that your situation is hopeless there is always hope. You can't go back but you can have a new normal, a new beginning. Life is always worth living so live for Jesus.

In Heaven is Real, Piper shared how life's trials can be turned into spiritual lessons, when we are open to the certainty of God's grace and love.
Hope
Sep 12, 2009 Hope rated it really liked it
This book was recommended to me by my "beach friend" who is experiencing joy during a difficult time in her life.
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. It was a genuine look at dealing with difficult circumstances in life where when we get beyond the "why?" and the anger, we can begin embracing our new normal and find joy again.
I definitely recommend this book.
Jackie
Mar 12, 2008 Jackie rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone!
While I was reading, "90 Minutes in Heaven" by this author, I found out one of my co-workers' personal story was in this book.
Both of these books by Don Piper are so encouraging and uplifting! If you want a glimpse into heaven, read "90 Minutes in Heaven." If you want affirmation and faithful encouragement, read this book.
Heather
Jul 12, 2008 Heather rated it liked it
This book is OK, but I liked his first book "90 minutes in Heaven" better. It's much more exciting because he talks about what happened when he died in a car accident and came back to life 90 minutes later. This book is full of mini spiritual lessons, but most of them I'm already familiar with, so I'm a little bored.
Marja Meijers
Jan 16, 2011 Marja Meijers rated it liked it
Although Don Piper repeats himself quite often in this book, I enjoyed it because I learned a valuable lesson: after tragedy, sickness, divorce, trauma or whatever horrible thing will happen in our lives, we must find the 'new normal' and live on and live purposely! A very encouraging book on how to go from tragedy to triumph!
America Quiroz
ITS A GOOD BOOK
Ghine
Jun 04, 2009 Ghine rated it liked it
I did enjoy the book although I don't agree with all of Piper's views. The bottom line is not only surviving crisis' in your life and hardships, but growing from them and sharing your growth & your hope with others. And that is a good bottom line in my 'book.'
Heather
Mar 02, 2009 Heather rated it liked it
I liked the message of the book- what lessons the author has learned since his ninety minutes in heaven and extensive recovery. The only flaw with the book is that it could have been written in about half the length since much of what he says is repetitive.
Deborah
Oct 15, 2011 Deborah rated it really liked it
I am listening to this one on audio. I like the encouragement it offers and the tales of people's lives that have been touched by the author's experience. I am going to read the first book, "90 Minutes in Heaven" after I finish this.
Sandy Neal
Aug 31, 2009 Sandy Neal rated it did not like it
Very rare that I don't finish a book. A friend lent me this one because I so enjoyed Don Piper's 90 Minutes in Heaven. But this book was too repetitive of that story and I gave up 1/2 way through. Also too preachy!
  • Heaven: My Father's House - In Troubled Times, Looking Forward With Hope To...
  • Memories of the Afterlife: Life-Between-Lives Stories of Personal Transformation
  • Holy Bible: Revised Standard Version
  • Where Angels Walk
  • How to Study the Bible for Yourself
  • Unconditional?: The call of Jesus to radical forgiveness
  • Closer to the Light: Learning from the Near-Death Experiences of Children
  • Murder by Family: The Incredible True Story of a Son's Treachery & a Father's Forgiveness
  • The Fitting Room: Putting on the Character of Christ
  • Encountering Heaven and the Afterlife
  • When God Weeps: Why Our Sufferings Matter to the Almighty
On January 18th, 1989, Don Piper died in a car accident. Ninety minutes later, after a preacher prayed over him, Piper came back to life with an extraordinary story. He'd been to heaven. So began the phenomenon of 90 Minutes in Heaven.

Now, for the millions who look to him for inspiration, Piper offers the hope that if he could survive his ordeal after the accident, then others can survive whateve
More about Don Piper...