Start by marking “Redesigning Humans: Choosing Our Genes, Changing Our Future” as Want to Read:
Redesigning Humans: Choosing Our Genes, Changing Our Future

Redesigning Humans: Choosing Our Genes, Changing Our Future

3.62 of 5 stars 3.62  ·  rating details  ·  100 ratings  ·  5 reviews
A groundbreaking work, Redesigning Humans tackles the controversial subject of engineering the human germline -- the process of permanently altering the genetic code of an individual so that the changes are passed on to the offspring. Gregory Stock, an expert on the implications of recent advances in reproductive biology, has glimpsed the inevitable future of biomedical en ...more
Published April 11th 2003 by Mariner Books (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Redesigning Humans, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Redesigning Humans

No Remorse
"God and Nature first made us what we are, and then out of our own created genius we make ourselves what we want to be." - Marcus Garvey (1886-1940) (via, Redesigning Humans by Gregory Stock, Pg.1)

"Imagine collapsing life's 3.5-billion-year history into a period of 35 years. On this scale, some 50 years remain until the sun flares into a "red giant" and fries our planet. Our first primate ancestors appeared one year ago, thirty-four years after life began. The first hominid arrived a month ago;
This is actually a pretty short book. It's only 201 pages of actual reading and then another 76 pages of appendices, indexes, etc.

I'm not going to pretend that I understood everything that Greggory Stock discusses (and as a side note, my edition has Greggory spelled with two G's, not one). The chapter on Superbiology got pretty heavy with germline technology and auxiliary/artificial chromosomes. I think I enjoyed the chapters on cyborgs, fyborgs (functional cyborgs) and ethics the most.

I got the
About engineering the human germ line, the author is clear: we can do it, we should do it, we will do it. I find some analysis of his convincing (albeit alarming to me), such as: profit-driven scientists will go to somewhere on earth and develop improved human products because people will pay for those, which makes it unstoppable and eventually breaking into countries that currently block such.

So humans will divide into castes based on their different degrees of "improvements", or lack thereof,
Snail in Danger (Sid) Nicolaides
IIRC this is the one that suggested that human-improving genetic research would be slow because it won't benefit the researchers, only their children. I can think of other reasons this will go slowly, but that one doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.
A bit outdated, but a good read.
Georgia marked it as to-read
Nov 02, 2015
Farah Al-jomaa
Farah Al-jomaa marked it as to-read
Oct 31, 2015
John added it
Oct 31, 2015
Francy Andersen
Francy Andersen marked it as to-read
Sep 27, 2015
Luke Mroz
Luke Mroz marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2015
Jesus Sifuentes Santiago
Jesus Sifuentes Santiago marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2015
ZR marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2015
Adam Oliver
Adam Oliver marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2015
Jonathan Paljor
Jonathan Paljor marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2015
Jimmy Ele
Jimmy Ele marked it as to-read
Sep 05, 2015
Tim Mcleod
Tim Mcleod marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2015
Ryan marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2015
Nancy marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2015
Yasmin is currently reading it
Aug 12, 2015
Maxx marked it as to-read
May 24, 2015
Jasmine marked it as to-read
May 16, 2015
Nick marked it as to-read
May 06, 2015
  • Flesh and Machines: How Robots Will Change Us
  • Radical Evolution: The Promise and Peril of Enhancing Our Minds, Our Bodies -- and What It Means to Be Human
  • Citizen Cyborg: Why Democratic Societies Must Respond To The Redesigned Human Of The Future
  • Darwin Among The Machines: The Evolution Of Global Intelligence
  • How We Became Posthuman: Virtual Bodies in Cybernetics, Literature, and Informatics
  • Nexus: Small Worlds and the Groundbreaking Theory of Networks
  • Love and Sex with Robots: The Evolution of Human-Robot Relationships
  • Enough: Staying Human in an Engineered Age
  • Good Natured: The Origins of Right and Wrong in Humans and Other Animals
  • An Introduction to Behavioural Ecology
  • The Embodied Mind: Cognitive Science and Human Experience
  • My Life as a Night Elf Priest: An Anthropological Account of World of Warcraft
  • Religion and Science
  • Global Catastrophic Risks
  • Chasing the Sun: The Epic Story of the Star That Gives Us Life
  • The Immortalists: Charles Lindbergh, Dr. Alexis Carrel, and Their Daring Quest to Live Forever
  • Defining the Wind: The Beaufort Scale and How a 19th-Century Admiral Turned Science into Poetry
  • TELECOSM: How Infinite Bandwidth will Revolutionize Our World