Start by marking “Dough: Simple Contemporary Breads” as Want to Read:
Dough: Simple Contemporary Breads

Dough: Simple Contemporary Breads

4.27 of 5 stars 4.27  ·  rating details  ·  144 ratings  ·  24 reviews
Baking bread from dough involves the best kind of kitchen alchemy, for the possibilities to be conjured from the four ingredients of flour, water, yeast and salt are truly endless. Building on five easy recipes for basic doughs, Bertinet shows how even a beginner can achieve truly impressive results.
Published 2012 by Kyle Books (first published September 30th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Dough, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dough

DeAnne
Richard's book has revolutionized how I make bread...and I make bread a lot. After learning his methodology, I've been able to keep the KitchenAid under the cabinet, and gave my bread machine away. I do everything with just a scale, a mixing bowl, a bowl scraper and a clean counter top. It takes no more time than doing it in a planetary mixer, but I feel so much more involved in the process, and I believe that I've become a much better baker by being able to handle and learn the textures of "liv ...more
Charles
The notion of no-knead bread has become commonplace in the last few years - The smell and flavor of fresh bread with minimal effort. After several failures at 'real' bread making, no-knead provided a magical shortcut for this tricky, humiliating, process. Several years later I gave kneading another chance, inspired by a video of Richard Bertinet athletically slapping the dough on his work surface and conjuring four perfect baguettes. Only kneaded bread can be shaped this way, so I mixed the four ...more
Ina
Well, bread baking is easy as pie. Just buy this book and try. Some of the recipes are more complicated thatn others, but every information you need to be successfull you find in here. It's divided into a general part (all about bread baking, techniques, ingredients and equipment needed) and several chapters with different bread recipes originating from a specific dough, for example white bread dough, sweet dough, olive oil dough. The first recipe of the chapter is the basic dough, and the follo ...more
Barbara Morgenroth
I love this book. Richard gives the reader a simple basic recipe which you can then go on to tweak with additions as you wish. 9 oz flour, 6, oz water, 1 teaspoon yeast, 1 teaspoon salt is my batch--so simple I can remember it without writing it down or looking it up. You do need a scale if you want to be precise about things. I did attempt his kneading method which produced better results but I wind up using my KitchenAid or the Cuisinart and for most of my purposes that's fine. I have his next ...more
Ellen
I love to bake bread, and after reading a number of reviews, I assumed this book would change my life. Yes, I know that is a lot to ask, but nonetheless.

Instead this has to be the worst editing job of a book I have ever seen. Ingredients are left out and then mentioned later. Temperatures are off. Its a big fat mess with lovely, lovely pictures. On top of all of that I don't particularly like his method. It seems needlessly cumbersome and sticky.

I still prefer my trusty, stained, The Book of B
Tony
Short and sweet: if you bake bread, you will NEVER have to be afraid of wet, sticky dough ever again after reading through this book.
Libbeth
I much prefer Richard's way of working the dough. Somehow I never got along with kneading but I love this way, that is new to me. I happened to mention the book on my blog and Jo Bertinet commented and gave me great advice to use a floured linen tea towel to prove the dough on, so that it doesn't stick and thus make it difficult to transfer to your baking stone or tray.
I also bought one of the special scrapers but find a good silicone spatula works quite well - but the scraper is better for cutt
Nicole
Very good, will have to re-read and bake my way through very soon.
Jakubukaj
Simply excellent. This completely transformed my ability to bake. I've been making bread for about a decade - this book showed me how little I actually knew, and completely revised my perceptions of how to make "real" bread. Unlike so many other baking books out there, this book isn't just a list of random ingredients that can be thrown into dough to make some kind of "novelty" bread. Quite the opposite, with Bertinet demonstrating that the transformation of flour, yeast, salt and water is a ric ...more
Mara Shaw
I find the layout sometimes confusing (e.g., inclusion of the pesto recipe where it seems to be in another recipe), but almost all of the breads have worked out beautifully. I alternate between his kneading method and what he calls "The English method" and have not noticed a significant different in the end result. I still like knocking my dough back a couple of times instead of just once to enhance flavours, but I am truly a fan of this book.
Jarkko Laine
After trying every recipe from this book, I guess I can safely say I have read it :)

This was the book that got me hooked to making bread. Now that I'm an addict, I have already read many more books than this one, but I still return to Dough for some of the basic recipes when in hurry. Richard Bertinet is a great teacher, and I will wholeheartedly recommend his books as primers to cooking and bread making alike.
Jane G Meyer
One of my favorite bread books--and something I give as a gift from time to time.

It even comes with a DVD. I've had a lot of fun with this bread book, and the most amazing thing it has done for me is to cure me of my fright of a moist dough. Lots of fun recipes--really like the basic mixes of sweet and French doughs. The photos are inspiring--makes your mouth water just paging through...
Janet
The way how Richard's way of making a dough is really good, more time efficient and I feel the bread is more airy. The DVD that goes with it is a must have making it easier to understand. Also his suggestion of keeping back a small dough in the fridge as a ferment and add to the next dough is more manageable than making sourdough. Especially when you travel a lot.
Brian
I used this book to teach myself how to bake bread, and it was the perfect guide. The doughs are simple to make, and Bertinet's methods are a little different but very effective. In particular, I recommend learning his method of kneading. This book comes with a useful DVD that illustrates some of the his techniques.
Jane G Meyer
I'm having such fun with this book. I love the basic kneading process--so different from what one finds in other books, but what I used to witness in my dad's bakery. I'd recommend this book before any other to the brand new baker. His technique keeps moisture and flavor trapped in the dough and is light on the biceps!
El Sobe
This is an exceptional book. I'm a rookie bread making and this was a great guide to begin with. Bertinett explains you easily explains you how to turn flour, yeast, salt and water into delicious breads. He doesn't overwhelms you with theory an techniques and puts you "hands on" almost immediately.
Wouter
sloppy descriptions, weird generalizations and simplistic formulas. I was really disappointed to find out it's that shallow but I did have very high expectations given the author's fame. It might be a good beginners book but there's nothing to learn for a more experienced bread baker...
Emily
Nathan got me this book for Christmas and I can't wait to bake some bread this weekend. This books breaks everything down so simply and all the recipes look delicious. The pictures in the book are gorgeous and it's going to be a great addition to my cookbook collection!
Luise
Ich liebe dieses Buch.
Bisher ist mir jedes Rezept gelungen, wobei ich noch lange nicht alle ausprobiert habe.

Aber allein die Aufmachung des Buches macht Lust darauf, selber Brot zu backen. Oder Pizza. Oder Grissini.

Einfach herrlich.
Jerzy
He's got a really interesting way of working the dough, quite different from the usual kneading. The DVD that comes with the book shows it pretty well, and once you've gotten the hang of it, it takes much less effort than kneading. Plus the breads are tasty and fun!
Tony
The recipes work really well, particularly with fresh yeast. His rock salt and rosemary focaccia, pain de cpmpagne using a ferment, and his tomato, garlic and basil bread are all special.
Mo Tipton
This book is great! The recipes are super simple, and everything I've made so far has been fantastic. My favorite: it's a tie between the Everyday Loaves and the Scones. So tasty!
Donna Radcliff
Super, super cookbook. My son never had made bread, and everything he baked out of this book was great.

Lovely! Fun simple recipes get you baking fancy bread fast.

Adrienne
Adrienne marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2015
  • Flatbreads & Flavors
  • Tender: Volume II: A Cook's Guide to the Fruit Garden
  • Eggs
  • The Complete Robuchon
  • Local Breads: Sourdough and Whole-Grain Recipes from Europe's Best Artisan Bakers
  • Mary Berry's Baking Bible: Over 250 Classic Recipes
  • Bread Matters: The state of modern bread and a definitive guide to baking your own
  • Moro: The Cookbook
  • Preserves (River Cottage Handbook, #2)
  • The River Cottage Bread Handbook (River Cottage Handbook, #3)
  • Jamie's Great Britain
  • Peter Reinhart's Whole Grain Breads: New Techniques, Extraordinary Flavor
  • Good to the Grain: Baking with Whole-Grain Flours
  • Rick Stein's Far Eastern Odyssey: 150 New Recipes Evoking the Flavours of the Far East
  • The Handmade Loaf
  • The Book of Jewish Food: An Odyssey from Samarkand to New York
  • Modern Classics Book 2: Cookies, Biscuits & Slices, Small Cakes, Cakes, Desserts, Hot Puddings, Pies & Tarts
  • The Greens Cookbook: Extraordinary Vegetarian Cuisine from the Celebrated Restaurant
Crust: Bread to Get Your Teeth Into (With DVD) Pastry Pastry: A Master Class for Everyone, in 150 Photos and 50 Recipes Cook in a Class of Your Own with Richard Bertinet [With DVD] Patisserie Maison: The step-by-step guide to simple sweet pastries for the home baker