Start by marking “Open the Door: A Journey to the True Self” as Want to Read:
Open the Door: A Journey to the True Self

Open the Door: A Journey to the True Self

The long-awaited book from best-selling spiritual guide Joyce Rupp, creatively leads readers to explore how the image of the door can guide them in a process of discovering their true self.

Joyce Rupp brings new life to the ageless spiritual image of the door, weaving insights from East and West with the wisdom of contemporary spiritual writers, poets, and novelists in a

Published September 1st 2008 by Ave Maria Press (first published August 31st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Open the Door, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Open the Door

Jeanne Gehret
Nov 27, 2011 Jeanne Gehret rated it really liked it
It certainly took me a lot longer than the recommended six weeks to read this and do the meditations! More like four months. But that's because I needed to ponder and let insights sink in. I like Joyce's pluralistic approach to spirituality, which is well-grounded in Christianity but also brings in Tagore, Campbell, Taize, and many other faith traditions.
Joseph Marsan
Sep 11, 2011 Joseph Marsan rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: individuals, small faith groups
An excellent book in many ways. Joyce Rupp mines the metaphor of the door in wonderful ways as an aid to discernment, spiritual growth, and self-discovery over the course of six-weeks. Used the small group process and prayer resource at the back of the book with a contemplative dialogue group at my church...it was well received. Meditating on the daily reflection questions and journaling my responses was very helpful. I highly recommend this book for use by both individuals and groups.
Beret
Sep 08, 2009 Beret rated it it was amazing
This is a book of daily reflections, scripture verses, contemplations,questions, that challenge the reader to go inward, to be authentic, to discover the true self. I love this book. Joyce Rupp writes beautifully and gracefully. I feel held and loved reading this every day. I was sorry to see it come to an end. I now carry the "door" metaphor with me.
Cynthia  Scott
Jul 11, 2011 Cynthia Scott rated it liked it
Shelves: spiritual-growth
This book was was written to be a six week personal "workshop" and reflection on opening yourself to God and understanding who the real you is. I read the daily essay for each lesson straight through and found them to be full of wisdom. The author is a widely respected and much-loved leader of Christian retreats throughout the country.
Josee M
Feb 24, 2015 Josee M rated it really liked it
Loved this book! Very insightful.
Beth Booram
Aug 04, 2012 Beth Booram is currently reading it
I read Cup of Our Life several years ago and loved it. This one has a similar feel and already has been a pleasure to read.
Kristin
Apr 17, 2014 Kristin rated it really liked it
Shelves: spiritual-growth
My mom, sister, and I chose this book of reflections for Lent this year. This was the first Joyce Rupp book I've read, but have heard great things about her writing, and I agree.
Liz Dean
Oct 11, 2012 Liz Dean rated it liked it
I found some very nice insights about prayer in this book. It's a little "new age", but has a lot of value.
Cathie Lambert
Cathie Lambert rated it it was amazing
Nov 25, 2012
Michelle Kroll
Michelle Kroll rated it really liked it
May 13, 2015
Pat Webb
Pat Webb rated it it was amazing
Jan 23, 2010
Terrie
Terrie rated it it was amazing
Dec 10, 2015
Dawn
Dawn rated it really liked it
Jan 22, 2016
Boeboe Kaburara
Boeboe Kaburara rated it it was amazing
Mar 19, 2016
Sr Jeanne Branchaud
Sr Jeanne Branchaud rated it it was amazing
Mar 21, 2016
Annemarie Deitch
Annemarie Deitch rated it it was amazing
Dec 15, 2015
Jean Wise
Jean Wise rated it it was amazing
Dec 12, 2014
Linda Bogan
Linda Bogan rated it it was amazing
May 22, 2015
Lori Morrison
Lori Morrison rated it it was amazing
Oct 11, 2016
Mary
Mary rated it it was amazing
Oct 31, 2015
Gin Tadvick
Gin Tadvick rated it liked it
Dec 08, 2014
Jackie
Jackie rated it it was amazing
Apr 28, 2016
Kathy
Kathy rated it it was amazing
Jun 08, 2012
Jcash
Jcash rated it it was amazing
Jan 12, 2015
Carolyn
Carolyn rated it really liked it
Aug 04, 2013
Mary
Mary rated it it was amazing
May 01, 2013
Rebecca Finch
Rebecca Finch rated it really liked it
Sep 15, 2016
Jenie
Jenie rated it really liked it
Oct 27, 2014
Steve
Steve rated it really liked it
Aug 04, 2009
Diana Blair
Mar 19, 2009 Diana Blair rated it really liked it
A new metaphor for soul examination and reflection...the door.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Seven Sacred Pauses: Living Mindfully Through the Hours of the Day
  • The Gentle Art of Blessing: A Simple Practice That Will Transform You and Your World
  • Listening for the Heartbeat of God: A Celtic Spirtuality
  • Eternal Echoes: Celtic Reflections on Our Yearning to Belong
  • Luminous Web: Essays on Science and Religion
  • The Awakened Heart: Opening Yourself to the Love You Need
  • Way of the Wolf
  • How Then, Shall We Live?: Four Simple Questions That Reveal the Beauty and Meaning of Our Lives
Joyce Rupp is well known for her work as a writer, a spiritual "midwife," and retreat and conference speaker. She has led retreats throughout North America, as well as in Europe, Asia, Africa, Australia and New Zealand. Joyce has a B.A. in English, a M.R.E. in Religious Education, and a M.A. in Transpersonal Psychology. She is a member of the Servites (Servants of Mary) community and was a ...more
More about Joyce Rupp...