The Building Of Jalna

The Building Of Jalna (Whiteoaks of Jalna #1)

3.84 of 5 stars 3.84  ·  rating details  ·  287 ratings  ·  36 reviews
First published in 1944, The Building of Jalna is one of sixteen books in the Jalna series written by Canada's Mazo de la Roche. In The Building of Jalna, Adeline, an impulsive bride with an Irish temper, and her husband, Captain Whiteoak, select Lake Ontario as the site of their new home. De la Roche chronicles their trials and tribulations during the building of the hous...more
Published 1983 by Macmillan (first published 1944)

To ask other readers questions about The Building Of Jalna, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Building Of Jalna

Tea Jovanović
Ovo je divan serijal od 16 naslova kanadske autorke koja se već smatra klasikom u Kanadi... Čitala sam je u tinejdžerskom uzrastu i bilo mi je veoma zabavno... Prosto nisam mogla da dočekam da u British Councel-u vrate s čitanja sledeći nastavak... Nažalost, nikada nije prevedena na srpski ili hrvatski...
Jeannette
Actual rating is closer to 2.5 stars

I read this for the 2012 Mt Tbr Challenge, to read books that have been languishing on my shelves. This volume, as well as several others in the series were passed down to me from my mother. I always wanted to read the Jalna series, and I really had hoped to enjoy them more.

Two things about this book. First, it is an episodic story, with no real driving plot. The author takes us through several years in the life of Phillip and Adeline Whiteoak, from their time...more
Holly
If you like plot, don't bother with THE BUILDING OF JALNA. There's little conflict here, since the story revolves around a young couple who are happily married, who have no money troubles and no other pressing worries worth mentioning. The book is episodic, featuring scenes in their lives before and after their relocation from the United Kingdom to Ontario, Canada.

However, as a whole the Jalna series is very compelling. It chronicles the history of the Whiteoak family from the early 1850's to t...more
Denis
The serie of the Jalna books (10 volumes or more?) remains for many French people a very beloved memory of childhood reading (although they were originally published in English, they seem to have been more popular in France than in the US). This epic saga of a Canadian family is like a house you used to go as a kid and are fond of, more because of nostalgic reasons than because the house is an architectural masterpiece. No one would argue that Mazo de la Roche was a great writer. But her charact...more
Colleen
In the 70's, these books were made into a series on Canadian TV. I was a young teenager and it must have been on past my bedtime, as I never did see it. But, I decided to read the books. These must be read in order, and I was taking them out of the library, so there were lots of delays. I eventually gave up trying to finish the series.

I recently found these as e books at my library and decided to read them again. I found that they have aged pretty well! Lots of drama between the characters, and...more
mampdx
I read this because Lydia Davis had mentioned de la Roche's Jalna books as among her literary influences. Have to say I found it a bit of a slog, however. "The Building of Jalna" is the first book, chronologically, although it was not the first book published, and perhaps "Jalna" was more compelling. This one boils down to lovely, wealthy people to whom nothing terribly riveting happens as they establish their home and dynasty in Ontario, Canada. The author may have been striving to create somet...more
Kurt Higgins
First in the series of well-known Canadian stories. The writing feels dated--well, because it was written about 50 years ago. The author keeps the reader at arm's length the whole time. It was good enough for me to try the second novel (of which I'm half-through). Though, I worry, it's a bit too staid to compete with the other items in my to-read list.

Luckily the pace is brisk. So quite a bit happens in each novel, it just doesn't get very intimate. Meaning, you don't really feel what the charac...more
K.l.
Possibly my favorite Jalna book! Even though it was written as a prequel (Jalna was the first book actually written) it is chronologically the first book in the series. I traces the travels of a young Captain Philip Whiteoak and his wife Adeline from their station in India, to England, Ireland, Quebec and finally Ontario where they build their house - Jalna.
We see Adeline's stubborness in ensuring that she give birth to her second son Ernest in the half completed house, her rage at a young girl...more
Michelle Lotter
Very old school way of writing. Very innocent period. I am so glad I finally got to start on this range of sixteen books. Quite interesting. Don't know whether the way the author wrote it fascinated me more than the books. They are seques but not written in any particular order. The auther, Mazo De La Roche had this story in her mind and wrote it over a period of thirty years. She started of with the fourth book and just wrote and added on as she felt. Amazing way of writing.
Meg Ulmes
I decided to read the Jalna series this summer as a tribute to my Dad. He loved these novels and owned many of them. This is the first book in the series--and so of course it introduces all the main characters and the building of the house that will dominate the story. The Whiteoak family is at the core of the story with the married couple Phillip and Adeline starring as the main characters in this slim volume. I had a little trouble getting into the first hundred pages, but after I got intrigue...more
Kathy  Petersen
The Jalna books are leftover from my early teenage years. I wondered if I'd like them now that I'm a somewhat cynical but at any rate non-romantic grown-up. Surprise, surprise: I was even tempted to give it five stars. However, The Building of Jalna is really just an ordinary novel, but written, I think, when more care was expanded on character development and general description, on solid writing, even on grammar and construction and propriety. I find all that too much of a rarity in current no...more
Aline
I really enjoyed going back to Jalna. I read this serie when I was still quite young, about 11 years old, because two of my eldest sisters were reading it at the time. But, at the time, I didn't understand everything about the Whiteoaks' life in Canada or about the relationships between the main characters. Now that I'm older, I can appreciate the real value of this story.
What I will remember of it is the freedom that you can feel from page to page: the freedom of this new world, still quite sav...more
Glenna
I read this book a long time ago. I had almost forgotten about it. I was reminded when I heard that the home where she lived in Yorkville is in the area of a fire that is burning as I write!
Melissa
I expected this to be a more plot-driven novel. Many conflicts were set up, but then their resolutions were just glossed over. This was a good example of an author doing a lot more "telling" rather than "showing." Most of the book had that distant tone that authors use for flashbacks, which makes sense in a way, since this was written as a prequel. Maybe I shouldn't be trying to read the series in chronological order. I've already got the next one on the kindle, so I guess I'll give it a try. I...more
Magda
It starts a little slow but the action gets more interesting toward the end. I'm starting the next volume tonight. We'll see what it brings :)
Anduine
This was the first family-saga i ever read. As a teenager i loved and devoured the books. Now I am rediscovering them and still find them very enchanting, but maybe that is my nostalgic point of view? For everybody expecting action, these books are not for you, as a matter of fact i would not even rank the series among top class novels, however if you are looking for good, solid, light fun entertainment, that does not lose it's charme over the years, you will not be disappointed
Alida
I read the series years ago. Every 2 weeks my sisters and I would eagerly look for the next instalment in the bookmobile that came near our home. I was a little leery to re-read a book I had good memories of but I enjoyed it all over again. I don't think these books would be for everyone since they're rather slow-paced. The Building of Jalna is the first chronologically in the 16 book series but was written as a prequel to several others.
Robyn
i am returning to my book roots this was the first series of adult books that I read, I used to go toParramatta Library every week on the bus to get the next one. I was given 6 of the books for presents over the years. I have read the complete series only once but the 6 books I have read many times over.

Really enjoying reading the 16 books from my Kindle.
Bryan Richard
I've wanted to start this series by a Canadian writer Mazo de la Roche, for a long time. I can remember when growing up in Toronto in the Beach, my mother used to always watch the Jalna tv series on CBC tv. I've just finished the first book in the series, "The Building of Jalna". Can't wait to get into the next book in the series. A great start at any rate.
Jo Oehrlein
This is a re-read of a book (and series) that I read when I was growing up. This is book #1 in chronological order, but it was not published first. It very much has the feel of setting the stage, defining the characters and explaining how things started -- sort of a creation mythology for the series.

It's an enjoyable book, but not a great one.
Kate
Given to me by my aunt; started me on one of my favorite series in high school, though I did not real all 16 of them.
Edith
J'avais adoré cette série à l'adolescence et je l'avais lu au moins deux fois. C'est maintenant le temps de la revisiter en version originale. Comme livre unique, il a peu d'intérêt. Il est intéressant quand on a lu le reste de la série et qu'on veut savoir comment tout a commencé.
Debra
The first title in the series about the Whiteoak family through the years. I read this entire series while in high school (they were in the high school library) and fell in love with this family saga. I have wonderful memories of the time spent lost in these books.
Jessie Lusher
This was the first family saga I ever read. It's a pretty old series originally published in the fifties or sixties. My mother read it as a young woman and suggested it to me. The books follow the Whiteoak family as they emigrate from Scotland to America.
Diana Bustamante
I originally read this series in high school and decided to revisit it. Written early in the 20th century, it is a kinder gentler sort of story which I enjoyed again. My only complaint is the apparent lack of editing in the Kindle version.
Marci
Excellent author, a Canadian treasure who wrote these books long before I was born. I found her by accident and am glad I did - I'm excited cause it's a whole series by Mazo de la Roche.
Katherine
A couple sets up their estate in Canada. A fun, light read; part of a long series. Expectedly dated (sexist, racisist), and Adeline is rather spoiled, but it's still appealing.
Amma
Aug 04, 2007 Amma rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: all of you
Shelves: ammahasread
Pretty much the same as the other Jalna books. It is interesting to see how the Brits stick to their customs even if they are now living in Canada!And their manners!
Duncan Irvine
One of my personal all time favourites this series really brings to life society in early Canada. A delight for me to revisit again and again
Cheryl
I loved that there is a whole series written about Canada. I was thoroughly involved with the characters right from the first page.
  • Under the Dragon's Tail (Detective Murdoch, #2)
  • Such Is My Beloved
  • Barometer Rising
  • The Affair of the 39 Cufflinks (Burford Family Mysteries, #3)
  • Anna (The Kirov Saga, #1)
  • The Xibalba Murders (Lara McClintoch Archeological Mystery, #1)
  • The Killing Circle
  • The Origin of Species
  • The Countess de Charny
  • The Electrical Field
  • Midnight Cab
  • Les vacances (Comtesse de Ségur, Tome 03)
  • The Delicate Storm
  • Martin Sloane
  • Your Sad Eyes And Unforgettable Mouth
  • The Whirlpool
  • The Raintree Rebellion
Mazo de la Roche, born Mazo Louise Roche, was the author of the Jalna novels, one of the most popular series of books of her time.

The Jalna series consists of sixteen novels that tell the story of the Canadian Whiteoak family from 1854 to 1954, although each of the novels can also be enjoyed as an independent story. In the world of the Whiteoaks, as in real life, people live and die, find success...more
More about Mazo de la Roche...
Jalna (Whiteoaks of Jalna, Book 7) Mary Wakefield (Whiteoaks of Jalna, Book 3) Whiteoaks Of Jalna Morning at Jalna Return to Jalna (Whiteoaks of Jalna, #13)