Start by marking “The Taste of Memory: Food and Gardens Have Taken Marion Halligan to Some Surprising Places . . .” as Want to Read:

3.36  ·  Rating Details  ·  11 Ratings  ·  2 Reviews
In prose as sensuous and seductive as a beautiful flower and a tasty dish, Marion Halligan embarks on a wandering journey into her novels, between past and present, across continents and laboring in gardens and kitchens. This inviting memoir celebrates the great oral tradition of cooks who pass on recipes out of the love of friends, food, and gardens.
Published December 1st 2005 by Allen & Unwin (first published September 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about The Taste of Memory, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Taste of Memory

Kirsten
Nov 19, 2010 Kirsten rated it it was ok
For me this was beautiful but boring. I'm just not enough of a foodie to enjoy all those food descriptions. Mind you I would recommend this to the foodies out there. It's a very gentle book, a bit like reading poetry.
Anne
Jul 06, 2014 Anne rated it liked it
I liked the concept for this story as tastes and smells definitely resonate with my memory of past times and places. I also loved the cover. Reading it though was like being party to Ms Halligan's stream of consciousness. This was not unpleasant at all as she seems like someone I'd like to know. Like listening to an old friend reminisce about their life and travels. You don't need to keep track of who is who, or how they are related - these details are mostly irrelevant. I won't be making any of ...more
Beks
Beks marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2016
Mary
Mary rated it really liked it
Jan 03, 2016
Margaret
Margaret rated it liked it
Sep 13, 2015
Cherry Wolf
Cherry Wolf rated it really liked it
Jun 18, 2015
Wendy
Wendy marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2014
Keziah
Keziah added it
Aug 11, 2013
Hannah Halloran
Hannah Halloran rated it liked it
May 05, 2013
Melissa
Melissa marked it as to-read
Apr 03, 2013
Jack
Jack marked it as to-read
Dec 27, 2012
Ruth
Ruth added it
Dec 01, 2012
CL
CL marked it as to-read
Nov 09, 2012
Megan Kelosiwang
Megan Kelosiwang rated it really liked it
Sep 07, 2012
Glenda
Glenda rated it really liked it
Jun 16, 2012
Dalice
Dalice added it
Mar 18, 2012
Undreya
Undreya rated it liked it
Mar 14, 2012
Maya
Maya rated it liked it
Mar 04, 2012
Danielle
Danielle rated it really liked it
Aug 14, 2011
Bella
Bella marked it as to-read
Nov 15, 2010
Sandy D.
Sandy D. marked it as to-read
May 02, 2010
Isabel
Isabel marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2009
Daisy
Daisy marked it as to-read
Mar 08, 2009
Marion Halligan AM is an Australian writer and novelist. Born and educated in Newcastle, New South Wales, she worked as a school teacher and journalist prior to turning to full time writing.

A long time resident of Canberra, she was a member of a group of women writers based in Canberra known as the "Canberra Seven" or "Seven Writers" (1980-1997).

She has won and been shortlisted for numerous signi
More about Marion Halligan...