Start by marking “The Pit Prop Syndicate” as Want to Read:
The Pit Prop Syndicate

The Pit Prop Syndicate

2.89 of 5 stars 2.89  ·  rating details  ·  45 ratings  ·  6 reviews
When Seymour Merriman stopped at the side of the road twenty-six miles outside Bordeaux, little did he know how his life was about to change.

The events that followed would take him through an adventure wrought with mystery, smuggling, murder and love. As this classic tale unfolds, it follows two amateurs in their attempt to unlock the mystery of changing number plates, an
Published 2001 by House of Stratus (first published 1922)

To ask other readers questions about The Pit Prop Syndicate, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Pit Prop Syndicate

Law Man
In part, good classic crime fiction. The nature of the crime is original, and the detection of clues well done. The time setting of the story - early 1920s - creates period interest.

The story is in two halves: first two amateurs try to find the nature of the crime, and evidence for it. Then the professionals (the police) take over.

What lets the story down is the character of one of the amateur 'heroes'. In particular, he falls in love with a woman at first sight, and professes his amorousness in
John
I thoroughly enjoyed this book even though it was probably a bit too long. I have given it four stars but I suspect that others who are not quite as fond of F.W.C.'s work as I am would maybe have found it a bit pedantic or even boring.

The reader shares every thought, suspicion, idea and action of both the two amateur detectives in the first half of the story and of Inspector Willis in the second half. Crofts' attention to detail is legendary and probably harks back to his previous occupation as
Kathy
Aside from the too-quick falling in love that it shares with many other mystery stories I've read lately, this was a finely-crafted mystery. A better knowledge of boating terms would have helped my understanding of some details, but generally I enjoyed this book.
Samantha Glasser
Read this book for free through Project Gutenberg: http://www.gutenberg.org/files/2013/2...
Karen
Quite complicated and ingenious.
☯Bettie☯
Mar 06, 2014 ☯Bettie☯ marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to ☯Bettie☯ by: Author recommended by Gerry

Not the Crofts I really wanted (Death of a Train) but I shall sample this new to me author with this.
ddaseden
ddaseden marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2015
Michaela
Michaela marked it as to-read
Mar 29, 2015
Jeff Hobbs
Jeff Hobbs marked it as to-read
Feb 05, 2015
Pamela
Pamela marked it as to-read
Jan 30, 2015
Sharon
Sharon is currently reading it
Oct 23, 2014
Melinda
Melinda marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2014
Carey Tynan
Carey Tynan marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Born in Dublin of English stock, Freeman Wills Croft was educated at Methodist and Campbell Colleges in Belfast and at age 17 he became a civil engineering pupil, apprenticed to his uncle, Berkeley D Wise who was the chief engineer of the Belfast and Northern Counties Railway (BNCR).

In 1899 he became a fully fledged railway engineer before becoming a district engineer and then chief assistant eng
More about Freeman Wills Crofts...
The Cask Inspector French's Greatest Case Crime at Guildford Inspector French and the Starvel Tragedy Mystery in the Channel