Start by marking “Odyssey (Isaac Asimov's Robot City, #1)” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Isaac Asimov

Odyssey (Isaac Asimov's Robot City #1)

4.07  ·  Rating Details ·  1,512 Ratings  ·  31 Reviews

A man without memory, stranded on an icy asteroid. His only chance for survival is locked within a band of mining robots who are dutifully searching the surface for a mysterious object known as the Key to Perihelion.

His name is Derec. His journey will take him to a city different from any he has ever known. A fantastic metropolis beyond his dreams: Robot City.

Published December 31st 1988 by Macdonald & Co (first published 1987)

Jul 13, 2009 Tiffiny rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi, series
MAJOR cliffhanger - be prepared to start the next book right away
Stephanie Ricker
I'm going to review the first three books of Robot City here, since my complaints are the same for all of them.

I inherited the first three books of the series when I got married, and both my husband and I had assumed that these were actually by Isaac Asimov. NOT SO. Asimov writes the intros, and the stories are very, very loosely set in his universe, but that's it. I was still prepared to enjoy the series...until I realized the quality was terrible.

In all fairness to the authors, a lot of the f
Catherine Vera
3.5 estrellas

Me es complicado reseñar este libro, ya que ADORO la ficción, pero tengo un pequeño problema con algunos de sus géneros: Denme un libro con 10 razas de dragones y seré capaz de describir con gran detalle cada tipo, denme 2 tipos de robot y seré incapaz de distinguirlos.

Odisea es el primer libro de una saga ambientada en el mundo creado por Isaac Asimov (y el tipo de robot que él creo). Por lo que indiqué antes comprenderán que fue extremadamente difícil para mí lograr seguir la hist
Scott Holstad
Aug 18, 2015 Scott Holstad rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is an interesting beginning to a series commissioned by Asimov's publisher and with his permission. Indeed, he writes the forward. Of course, the Three Laws of Robotics are in full force here.

A man, who goes by the name of Derec, which is found on the front of his shirt, wakes up on an asteroid with severe amnesia. He has no idea who he is, where he's from, where he was going, who his family is, what planet he's from, what his work is, etc. All he knows is that he's surrounded by robots. Ma
Paul Gosselin
Oct 13, 2016 Paul Gosselin rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
While this is not a bad sci-fi novel, it IS misrepresentation to let potential buyers think it was written by Isaac Asimov. The only thing he wrote in this book is a brief and not so useful introduction. Asimov's real function here seems to have been "writing coach". All this gives the impression the reason why Asimov's name was put in big letters on the cover was to bump up sales...
Mar 17, 2014 Ana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Los dos primeros capítulos son los más lentos de todo el libro, debo admitirlo, pero son necesarios para que comprendamos dónde estamos, qué se hace allí y como es este mundo donde los robots, las naves espaciales y los alienígenas están a la orden del día.

¿Qué os encontraréis? Pues misterio y mucha, mucha acción. Los problemas de Derec se solapan en su particular odisea, apenas ha conseguido salir de uno ya tiene que pensar en cómo salir vivo del siguiente. Por fortuna no estará solo ya que nos
Oct 04, 2014 Osvaldo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Es más un 3.5, a ver me explico...

ésta es la primer obra en una serie de un aproximado de 10 novelas referidas en el mundo creado por Isaac Asimov y sus leyes de la robótica, Michael P. es el qué abre el telón con la primer novela y por lo tanto o al menos así lo pienso yo, es obvio qué sea una novela extremadamente lenta e introductoria, llevas 70 páginas y el protagonista sigue sin saber donde está, como se llama, qué hace y todo lo nuevo qué descubre es misterio tras misterio tras misterios t
S.G. Rainbolt
Oct 05, 2011 S.G. Rainbolt rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a reprint by a company no longer in business ( and part of a book series. I was surprised about this series. I enjoyed "I, Robot" from Isaac Asimov so gave this a try. Though the book is entirely about robots and one stranded human adventure through their robot created world, it was actually quite good. As a reader, I felt I could relate to Derec and because of that I followed through to the end. Asimov's Robot world has spawned entire generations of robot writers. This book ...more
Oct 19, 2011 Kana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
I listened to an audiobook version of this, and even though I applaud the creativity by using a robotic voice, it made paying attention and distinguishing between characters, very difficult. I could tell the dialog was different for the humans, robots, and aliens. But it took a few seconds to tell, because of the monotone voice. It was nice but distracting.
As far as the story, it was very interesting. A bit dragged out, I'm honestly not sure if I can handle this amnesia story all the way throug
Aug 18, 2016 Alex rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The good:
- Some plot points that genuinely revolve around robots and the Laws
- Gripping pace
- Places from the original Asimov universe. I though this would be a fresh start using the Laws elsewhere
- Nice realistic touches of current computer tech that are not dumbed down

The bad (spoilerish, beware):
- Not one, not two, not three, but four alien races! broke my suspension of disbelief.
- The series of adventures seem a bit of an excuse on top of the McGuffin. I would have liked more discussion of t
James Somahkawahho
This is my favorite Isaac Asmimov novel. The story takes place thousands of years ago on a planet that is being developed by robots and humans. A human is killed. The main character is called on to investigate the death of that human on a planet that is supposed to be a place that is "human accident proof". In other words, the infrastructure of the planet is design so that no harm can come to humans. Mystery, sci-fi and the laws of robotics. Read this book!
Alexis Steven
Dec 31, 2014 Alexis Steven rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reto-hombres-p
Siempre que me preguntan cuáles son mis géneros favoritos de literatura, siempre digo que Ciencia ficción y fantasía, así que cuando vi este libro y leí su sinopsis caí rendido ante lo atractivo que sonaba. Inclusive sabiendo que el autor no es Isaac Asimov, aunque sí tuvo participación en la supervisión de la novela, no fue razón suficiente para no querer darle la oportunidad, y ahora no puedo estar más feliz de haberlo hecho. 4.5
Brian Mathieu
Dec 25, 2011 Brian Mathieu rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who digs reading about people trying to outwit Asimov's robots with the Three Laws.
Shelves: sci-fi
Pretty good read. It's set in Asimov's Robot universe, but it's different than the sci-fi-gumshoe classic Robot series (although those are pretty good too). This is one of those books where you're sympathizing with the protagonist who's trying to figure out just what the hell is going on through the entire story. Not much resolution at the end, because it's meant to be just the first book in the series.
Jeremiah Johnson
Jul 20, 2012 Jeremiah Johnson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a really good book to start off this series. That being said, don't read it unless you want to get invested in the series as the story is left completely open at the end and nothing is resolved.
Following Darec along as he tries to discover what has happened to himself was a lot of fun.
It was a very quick read and I highly recommend it to anyone that loves Asimov's universe.
Feb 06, 2016 Marc rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The author spends most of the book talking about robots... and not much else. The plot is conveniently forgotten most of the time, and when it does get interesting for about 50 pages, they reach Robot City and... well, that's the end. No resolution, just setup for a series of books, that frankly, I had no interest in reading.
Aug 31, 2014 Adarae rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Me ha parecido bastante farragoso al principio... como si intentase contar demasiadas historias en un solo volumen. Y después justo cuando se pone interesante, se termina de forma abrupta. Desde luego más que un libro en sí mismo habría que considerarlo una introducción a la serie de novelas que empiezan con este volumen.
Dec 05, 2012 Anita rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi-read
Great story of mystery and robots. There is no conclusion to the story with this book, but having been hooked since page 1, I'll be reading the rest of the series.

Isaac Asimov introduces the series telling us that he has set down guidelines for it. I'm happy to find that this book does follow in the great tradition of robot stories that he began.
Aug 29, 2013 David rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Primera de la serie de Robot City, tiene buen ritmo y más acción de la habitual con Asimov. Se trata de novelas escritas en su universo pero por otros autores, con su aprobación y consejo, por lo que se nota el sabor asimovico y a la vez frescura. Aquí se plantean las bases de la saga con bastantes saltos y dejando abiertos varios frentes para ir desarrollando más tarde
Feb 21, 2016 Adrian rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not quite Asimov but enjoyable none the less.
For some unknown reason I was reminded of the Perry Rhodan (?) books I read over 40 years ago. Now I'm not saying it's as "Space Opera" as they were but for some reason they sprang to mind. Will know more after the next "episode".
Ted Cuevas
Nov 29, 2010 Ted Cuevas rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
I thought this was a great story. I particularly like the way the Three Laws of Robotics are always presented in a difficult challenge for the characters to work with the robots. I have always loved these stories.
Daniel Ebeck
I read all five of the Robot City arc as a set, so the whole story kind of blends together for me. But I think that this book was probably the strongest. I liked the extrapolation he made of the Spacer society, even if the science didn't quite seem as well realised as Asimov's own.
Aug 08, 2016 Alan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: asimov-universe
Not a patch on Asimov himself but an ok read. It suffers from a lack of complexity and quite weak characterisation, but is rescued somewhat by its borrowed universe and sci-fi concepts. It reads well enough and engenders just enough interest to keep one reading.
Oct 13, 2014 Leslie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Aunque sufre de severos clichés, está muy bien narrado. Tiene la complejidad de una obra de Asimov, pero con personajes más vivos. Es un buen libro de sci-fi.
Edwin Kort
Jan 13, 2015 Edwin Kort rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
Lekker makkelijk te lezen boek. in tegenstelling tot wat het vermeldt Is., is dit boek niet geschreven die Asimov, maar heeft hij wel meegewerkt aan het boek.
Dec 04, 2012 Michael rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
Loved this series. Different authors for each book, too, which was neat. Introduced the reader to different styles while maintaining the plot/storyline.
Jul 01, 2015 Ana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I would give it five stars, but I only "really liked it". Very simple, easy and yet well written story
I'm definitely gonna buy the next ones.
Eleazar Herrera
Lo he terminado por cabezonería, y me da rabia porque el principio tenía una pinta estupenda. De momento no continuaré con los siguientes.
Edelhart Kempeneers
Ik ben wat ontgoocheld. Weinig overtuigende personages, verhaal is ook dunnetjes. Het is dan wel in Isaac Asimov's universum, maar dan is ook alles gezegd.
Esther rated it liked it
May 11, 2013
Matej Mlinarič
Matej Mlinarič rated it it was amazing
May 17, 2015
  • Suspicion (Isaac Asimov's Robot City, #2)
  • Cyborg (Isaac Asimov's Robot City, #3)
  • Refuge (Isaac Asimov's Robot City, #5)
  • Prodigy (Isaac Asimov's Robot City, #4)
  • Utopia (Isaac Asimov's Caliban, #3)
  • Renegade (Isaac Asimov's Robot City: Robots and Aliens, #2)
  • Foundation's Friends
  • The Norby Chronicles (Norby, #1-2)
  • Mirage (Isaac Asimov's Robot Mystery, #1)
  • Robot Visions (Robot, #0.5)
  • The World at the End of Time
  • To Protect (I, Robot [Reichert], #1)

Professor Asimov is generally considered the most prolific writer of all time, having written or edited more than 500 books and an estimated 90,000 letters and postcards. He has works published in nine of the te
More about Isaac Asimov...

Isaac Asimov's Robot City (6 books)
  • Suspicion (Isaac Asimov's Robot City, #2)
  • Cyborg (Isaac Asimov's Robot City, #3)
  • Prodigy (Isaac Asimov's Robot City, #4)
  • Refuge (Isaac Asimov's Robot City, #5)
  • Perihelion (Isaac Asimov's Robot City, #6)