Blank-133x176
Odyssey

Isaac Asimov

Odyssey (Isaac Asimov's Robot City #1)

4.02 of 5 stars 4.02  ·  rating details  ·  895 ratings  ·  14 reviews

A man without memory, stranded on an icy asteroid. His only chance for survival is locked within a band of mining robots who are dutifully searching the surface for a mysterious object known as the Key to Perihelion.

His name is Derec. His journey will take him to a city different from any he has ever known. A fantastic metropolis beyond his dreams: Robot City.

Published December 31st 1988 by Macdonald & Co (first published 1987)

Tiffiny
MAJOR cliffhanger - be prepared to start the next book right away
S.G. Rainbolt
This was a reprint by a company no longer in business (ibooks.com) and part of a book series. I was surprised about this series. I enjoyed "I, Robot" from Isaac Asimov so gave this a try. Though the book is entirely about robots and one stranded human adventure through their robot created world, it was actually quite good. As a reader, I felt I could relate to Derec and because of that I followed through to the end. Asimov's Robot world has spawned entire generations of robot writers. This book...more
Kana
I listened to an audiobook version of this, and even though I applaud the creativity by using a robotic voice, it made paying attention and distinguishing between characters, very difficult. I could tell the dialog was different for the humans, robots, and aliens. But it took a few seconds to tell, because of the monotone voice. It was nice but distracting.
As far as the story, it was very interesting. A bit dragged out, I'm honestly not sure if I can handle this amnesia story all the way throug...more
Adrian
Not quite Asimov but enjoyable none the less.
For some unknown reason I was reminded of the Perry Rhodan (?) books I read over 40 years ago. Now I'm not saying it's as "Space Opera" as they were but for some reason they sprang to mind. Will know more after the next "episode".
James Somahkawahho
This is my favorite Isaac Asmimov novel. The story takes place thousands of years ago on a planet that is being developed by robots and humans. A human is killed. The main character is called on to investigate the death of that human on a planet that is supposed to be a place that is "human accident proof". In other words, the infrastructure of the planet is design so that no harm can come to humans. Mystery, sci-fi and the laws of robotics. Read this book!
Brian Mathieu
Dec 25, 2011 Brian Mathieu rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who digs reading about people trying to outwit Asimov's robots with the Three Laws.
Shelves: sci-fi
Pretty good read. It's set in Asimov's Robot universe, but it's different than the sci-fi-gumshoe classic Robot series (although those are pretty good too). This is one of those books where you're sympathizing with the protagonist who's trying to figure out just what the hell is going on through the entire story. Not much resolution at the end, because it's meant to be just the first book in the series.
Jeremiah Johnson
This was a really good book to start off this series. That being said, don't read it unless you want to get invested in the series as the story is left completely open at the end and nothing is resolved.
Following Darec along as he tries to discover what has happened to himself was a lot of fun.
It was a very quick read and I highly recommend it to anyone that loves Asimov's universe.
David
Primera de la serie de Robot City, tiene buen ritmo y más acción de la habitual con Asimov. Se trata de novelas escritas en su universo pero por otros autores, con su aprobación y consejo, por lo que se nota el sabor asimovico y a la vez frescura. Aquí se plantean las bases de la saga con bastantes saltos y dejando abiertos varios frentes para ir desarrollando más tarde
Anita
Great story of mystery and robots. There is no conclusion to the story with this book, but having been hooked since page 1, I'll be reading the rest of the series.

Isaac Asimov introduces the series telling us that he has set down guidelines for it. I'm happy to find that this book does follow in the great tradition of robot stories that he began.
Ted Cuevas
I thought this was a great story. I particularly like the way the Three Laws of Robotics are always presented in a difficult challenge for the characters to work with the robots. I have always loved these stories.
Michael McNeil
Loved this series. Different authors for each book, too, which was neat. Introduced the reader to different styles while maintaining the plot/storyline.
Mark Baller
Robot city first book - how they are so good I dont know but all Robot citys are good!
Gary Barrentine
An interesting book about Isaac Asimov's three rules of robotics.
John
Grade B-. Book Rc1. No end.
Anne
Anne marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2014
Ncl8
Ncl8 marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2014
Debbie Veasey
Debbie Veasey marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2014
Travis
Travis is currently reading it
Jul 20, 2014
Laura Garcia
Laura Garcia marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2014
Yuan Huang
Yuan Huang marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2014
Lewis
Lewis marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2014
nnuk
nnuk marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2014
  • Suspicion (Isaac Asimov's Robot City, #2)
  • Cyborg (Isaac Asimov's Robot City, #3)
  • Refuge (Isaac Asimov's Robot City, #5)
  • Prodigy (Isaac Asimov's Robot City, #4)
  • Isaac Asimov's Caliban (Isaac Asimov's Caliban, #1)
  • Foundation's Friends
  • Robot Visions (Robot, #0.5)
  • The Norby Chronicles (Norby, #1-2)
  • Foundation's Fear (Second Foundation Trilogy, #1)
  • Foundation's Triumph (Second Foundation Trilogy, #3)
  • The World at the End of Time
  • The Crucible of Time

Professor Asimov is generally considered the most prolific writer of all time, having written or edited more than 500 books and an estimated 90,000 letters and postcards. He has works published in nine of the te...more
More about Isaac Asimov...
Foundation (Foundation, #1) I, Robot (Robot, #0.1) Foundation and Empire (Foundation, #2) Second Foundation (Foundation, #3) The Foundation Trilogy (Foundation, #1-3)