Start by marking “Kirkland Revels” as Want to Read:
Kirkland Revels

Kirkland Revels

3.83  ·  Rating Details ·  2,584 Ratings  ·  67 Reviews
Kirkland Revels loomed high above the wild and eerie Yorkshire moors like a brooding stone fortress. To some there was an atmosphere of evil about the place, but to innocent young bride Catherine Rockwell, the mansion seemed magnificently romantic. She did not know then of the terrible secrets imprisoned behind its massive walls. Or that at the moment she had entered her n ...more
Paperback, Large Print, 365 pages
Published April 1st 1994 by Sound Library (first published 1962)

To ask other readers questions about Kirkland Revels, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Kirkland Revels

Dale Harcombe
After my last harrowing read, I needed something light. I went back to a book that I last read and loved as a teenager. Back then Victoria Holt was one of my favourite authors. The story is told from the point of view of nineteen year old Catherine Corder. After coming home from finishing school Catherine meets Gabriel while out riding. She also finds a mistreated dog which Gabriel helps her rescue. She calls him Friday. For her they are irrevocably linked as the first sentence of the book tells ...more
Hannah
Oct 21, 2009 Hannah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun dive back into my teenage reading habits with this classic Victoria Holt.

I used to devour Holt, and still have several in storage. This one I bought at a used book sale at my local library.

Every Holt book follows a predictable plotline and has interchangable heros, heroines and villians. I say that like it's a bad thing, but truthfully it's comforting to snuggle up with a Holt book and be charmed by the fiesty, plain heroine and her verbal duels with the attractive, always amused hero.

Good l
MomToKippy
3.5

Holt did not disappoint with her cast of colorful characters and a mystery that kept me guessing. The first half was a little drab for me but by the second half I was rapt. The twists and turns toward the end were delightful. Honestly I don't care whether I have figured out who the culprit is in these novels or not. So many reviewers seem to be bothered by that. It's the journey that matters. The atmosphere that is created, the vividly real characters, the angst - all served up in engaging st
Julz
I keep losing my reviews. You'd think I'd learn to copy first before I hit save.

So, substitute review until I can get back and rewrite it. Terrific book. I'm two for two for this author so far. Flat out keep me in suspense until the very last minute. Definitely would recommend it.
Chazzle
Aug 09, 2007 Chazzle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone, except men too insecure to read a Gothic romance suspense thriller
What an entertaining book!!! Why can't they ALL be this good? If you only read 100 books this year, make sure 99 of them are by Victoria Holt. Just kidding. Actually, some of her titles are filled with too much "filler", but not this one. This one comes out punching pretty quickly, and doesn't let up for an instant.

One of the most entertaining books I've EVER read.
4cats
Dec 22, 2015 4cats rated it liked it
I think this was her first novel and it sets the scene for all of the Victoria Holt genre, as in gothic mystery romance. Lonely young woman finds herself in a strange situation where her life is under threat from a mystery person. They are highly entertaining, easy reads, great when you don't want to be weighted down by some great masterpiece!
LJ
KIRKLAND REVELS (Gothic Suspense-England-1800s) – G+
Holt, Victoria – 2nd book
Fawcett Crest, 1962-US Paperback
First Sentence: I met Gabriel and Friday on the same day, and, strangely enough I lost them together; so that thereafter, I was never able to think of one without the other.
*** Catherine Corder marries Gabriel Rockwell more out of affection and to escape an unaffectionate father than out of real love. Shortly after returning to Gabriel’s home of Kirkland Revels and being introduced to Gab
Felmar Rowell Singco
Nov 06, 2008 Felmar Rowell Singco rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: All who love the English countryside...
I consider this the sunniest of Victoria Holt's beautiful gothic romances... Pure pleasure in reading this... Evokes the beauty of the English countryside...
Susan
Jul 16, 2013 Susan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gothic, 2013
Wonderful storytelling! Very good plot, unique characters that didn't hit the stereotypical - heroine (TSTL syndrone)/villian (ugly, smelly, bad posture) - and a few other characters throw into the mix that were hard to define as being good or not good until the very end.

The heroine was a smart cookie with a good head on her shoulders. Of the one 'bad' decision she made, I wouldn't call it stupidness, only really bad timing, as it brought her into peril. But what would these books be without a
Alex Lee
Aug 06, 2015 Alex Lee rated it liked it
An entertaining story. In a way sad. Like romances, it has the familiar patterns. A young woman who in some way, must prove herself. A man who is reviled at first, comes to become attractive. Status, wealth and family in the end. I don't think the "Alfred Hitchcock" statement on the cover is to be taken too seriously. What sad about it is that death and murder are all too horrid but all too easy going. Happy endings eliminate all. The characters are, of course, flat, and the main motive of the s ...more
Chon
Mar 21, 2013 Chon rated it really liked it
One of Holts shorter stories. I just love a good Gothic romance murder mystery. She had me second guessing the villain to the end. Victoria Holt paints a pretty picture of the landscape and buildings. I never tire of reading her work even though the plot is generally very similar. I find that the characters have such life to them, that even though they are not central to the love story line, I read for the pleasure of getting to know them.
 ☆Ruth☆
Victoria Holt is always readable even though her plots are often transparent and predictable. I turn to her books when I'm in need of a relaxing, unchallenging book which I can pick up and put down without a thought.
Neja
Dec 04, 2012 Neja rated it liked it
Shelves: my-childhood
Books written by Victoria Holt are so cheesy, but sometimes that's exactly what you need. I've read a loooot of her books when I was 14/15 years old..that was the last time I've read them. I absolutely loved them at the time. I'm thinking of reading one of her books just for the old times sake! =)
Debbie
Nov 19, 2016 Debbie rated it liked it
I am sure that I read this back in high school when I was going through a Victoria Holt phase but I didn't remember it at all. It was good though. Typical Victoria Holt, gothic romance. The main character was likeable and the plot intriguing. Overall a good read.
Kathy Robbins
May 22, 2017 Kathy Robbins rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Always enjoy reading Victoria Holt and she did not disappoint. For those that enjoy romantic mysteries, I think you would enjoy this story.
Athena
Nov 01, 2012 Athena rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own
This is one of Holt's better stories. I still love the pictures she creates with words. This story had a few twists that threw me off a bit, which I haven't experienced in any of the more recent reads of Holt's.
Catherine Corder is a naive yet strong woman who hastily marries the mysterious Gabriel. She is received rather cooly by her in-laws, expecially Ruth, Gabriel's sister. This behavior is alleged to be due to the fact that Catherine and Gabriel married after knowing each other for so littl
Jan
Mar 28, 2016 Jan rated it liked it
England, Yorkshire Moors, Gothic Mystery. After 4 years of French Boarding school Catherine returns to her home to her fathers house. Her father does not meet her with the carriage, nor does her beloved Uncle Dick, she is disappointed. She does not have any idea what to do with her life, and meets a young man while out riding on the moors, a whirlwind romance happens, and she is whiskey away to Kirkland Revels, which is a sinister house with secrets. Within days her husband has committed suicide ...more
Saadia Mo
Oct 04, 2016 Saadia Mo rated it liked it
This would have been a lot better if it wasn't so predictable. It's not very exciting reading a mystery when you've sused the culprit but the heroine is so oblivious to the obvious. This also makes people's actions all the more annoying. Also, many aspects of the plot were very similar to The Shivering Sands (the crazy older aunt who sees/knows everything but speaks in riddles, the old ailing master of the house, *SPOILER* the murderer who believes they are the illegitimate child of the master a ...more
Christy Johnson
Feb 25, 2015 Christy Johnson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gothic
A very entertaining novel. This would be the second written under the Victoria Holt name and I enjoyed it much more than the first. I felt that this plot wasn't as predictable and had plenty of twists and intrigue. At a few points I found myself countering between several who the main culprit could be. Some part of me felt that some of the story was vaguely familiar leaving me to wonder if I had, in fact, read this book years ago as a teenager and had forgotten mostly about it. If that is the ca ...more
Kimberly
Aug 10, 2009 Kimberly rated it really liked it
When I read Victoria Holt's Mistress of Mellyn I figured out pretty early in the book who the menace was, not so with Kirkland Revels. I pretty much suspected everyone in the book, so I wasn't too surprised with the outcome, although I was relieved when certain characters were found to be innocent. Holt did an excellent job of writing Catherine's fears and frustrations at the hands of her unknown tormentor, as well as her terror at the thought of being institutionalized against her will.
Danielle
While not as good as Mistress of Mellyn, this novel was a success! It was a nicely written mystery mixed in with romance and friendship. Lonlieness is a large contributor also. While the love part didn't sit well with me between Catherine and Simon - as they seemed to rarely talk and about things that suggested they even liked each other, but Catherine was an okay character to like. Holt has written a decent book, easy to read, always keeps you guessing with underlying values between friends and ...more
Phil Syphe
Jan 13, 2016 Phil Syphe rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Despite a slightly plodding start, come about a quarter of the way in this becomes an engaging tale, with plenty of mystery and suspense.

I like the West Yorkshire moorland setting - I'm from East Yorkshire myself - and the way the author brings the second half of the nineteenth-century vividly to life.

Therefore, the setting, the well-crafted plot, and the believable characters all add up to a very good read.
Katrina
Jan 27, 2013 Katrina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this gothic romance.Victoria Holt is the queen of them.Catherine marries Gabriel very quickly after meeting him and he takes her to his family estate.2 weeks later he is found dead and Catherine believes he was murdered.Then She discovers she is pregnant and her baby is the heir to the family fortune.Someone doesn't want the baby to be born!.Several twists makes this a very interesting read
Emily
Apr 18, 2014 Emily rated it really liked it
This was a really fun (clean!) gothic romance--the heroine is a strong character and spends more time searching for secret passages than moping over potential love interests. It had some of the stereotypes you might expect from the genre, but even when I was pretty sure I had everything figured out, it was still tense and had me second-guessing my deductions.
Lori Bigby
Nov 29, 2012 Lori Bigby rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kirkland Revels is a castle containing history, romance and mystery. Victoria Holt does a wonderful job at weaving the story and creating shadows and doubts about all the main characters until you finally arrive at the truth. I really enjoyed the book and towards the end couldn't put it down at all. It is very well written and it kept my interest throughout. I heartily recommend it!
Christy
Feb 25, 2013 Christy rated it liked it
It's the standard gothic romance: innocent girl goes to an old manor with a dark secret, and meets a dashing gentleman who falls in love with her despite her lowly station. Sooner or later she runs into grave danger. Will her lover save her, or is he the real enemy? You know everything's going to turn out fine, but you still keep reading till the last page.
Adelein
Varjoja nummella on turvallisen tuttua Victoria Holtia: kartanoromantiikkaa jännitysmaustein. Takakansi paljasti mielestäni hieman liikaa juonesta, vaikka toisaalta kirjoitustyyli oli hieman ennakoiva/jälkiviisasteleva. Päähenkilö Catherine yritetään murhata, ja epäilin useita eri henkilöitä. Kaikin puolin kirja oli viihdyttävä ja ihan mukava, mutta ei mitenkään erityinen.
Jo
Jul 07, 2016 Jo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great trip down memory lane, I used to avidly read Victoria Holt when I was a teenager. Super gothic romance with all the trappings; sudden love affair, mysterious house and family, mystery surrounding parentage, strong hero who starts off a bit arrogant then becomes The One, reading this is like having a lovely bath with candles and a glass of wine, indulgent!
Angela Randall
Jun 18, 2010 Angela Randall marked it as to-read
We own this as part of an anthology, Gothic Treasure Trove:

Gothic Treasure Trove by Reader's Digest
Marianna
Jun 17, 2013 Marianna rated it it was amazing
What a wonderful book. I used to read Victoria Holt in the mid-1980s when I was in middle school and have been anxious to re-read her books for years. My memories of them were wonderful. After having finished book number two, I was not disappointed again. A great story. Plenty of suspense. Well written and wonderful language. I am going to read book number 2, "Bride of Pendorric" immediately.
  • Thunder Heights
  • The Black Swan (Daughters of England, #16)
  • Watch the Wall, My Darling
  • Tregaron's Daughter

Eleanor Alice Burford, Mrs. George Percival Hibbert was a British author of about 200 historical novels, most of them under the pen name Jean Plaidy which had sold 14 million copies by the time of her death. She chose to use various names because of the differences in subjec
More about Victoria Holt...