Start by marking “Kirkland Revels” as Want to Read:
Kirkland Revels

Kirkland Revels

3.79 of 5 stars 3.79  ·  rating details  ·  2,126 ratings  ·  49 reviews
Kirkland Revels loomed high above the wild and eerie Yorkshire moors like a brooding stone fortress. To some there was an atmosphere of evil about the place, but to innocent young bride Catherine Rockwell, the mansion seemed magnificently romantic. She did not know then of the terrible secrets imprisoned behind its massive walls. Or that at the moment she had entered her n ...more
Paperback, Large Print, 365 pages
Published April 1st 1994 by Sound Library (first published 1962)

To ask other readers questions about Kirkland Revels, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Kirkland Revels

Hannah
Fun dive back into my teenage reading habits with this classic Victoria Holt.

I used to devour Holt, and still have several in storage. This one I bought at a used book sale at my local library.

Every Holt book follows a predictable plotline and has interchangable heros, heroines and villians. I say that like it's a bad thing, but truthfully it's comforting to snuggle up with a Holt book and be charmed by the fiesty, plain heroine and her verbal duels with the attractive, always amused hero.

Good l
Julz
I keep losing my reviews. You'd think I'd learn to copy first before I hit save.

So, substitute review until I can get back and rewrite it. Terrific book. I'm two for two for this author so far. Flat out keep me in suspense until the very last minute. Definitely would recommend it.
LJ
KIRKLAND REVELS (Gothic Suspense-England-1800s) – G+
Holt, Victoria – 2nd book
Fawcett Crest, 1962-US Paperback
First Sentence: I met Gabriel and Friday on the same day, and, strangely enough I lost them together; so that thereafter, I was never able to think of one without the other.
*** Catherine Corder marries Gabriel Rockwell more out of affection and to escape an unaffectionate father than out of real love. Shortly after returning to Gabriel’s home of Kirkland Revels and being introduced to Gab
Chazzle
Aug 09, 2007 Chazzle rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone, except men too insecure to read a Gothic romance suspense thriller
What an entertaining book!!! Why can't they ALL be this good? If you only read 100 books this year, make sure 99 of them are by Victoria Holt. Just kidding. Actually, some of her titles are filled with too much "filler", but not this one. This one comes out punching pretty quickly, and doesn't let up for an instant.

One of the most entertaining books I've EVER read.
Felmar Rowell Singco
Nov 06, 2008 Felmar Rowell Singco rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: All who love the English countryside...
I consider this the sunniest of Victoria Holt's beautiful gothic romances... Pure pleasure in reading this... Evokes the beauty of the English countryside...
Alex Lee
An entertaining story. In a way sad. Like romances, it has the familiar patterns. A young woman who in some way, must prove herself. A man who is reviled at first, comes to become attractive. Status, wealth and family in the end. I don't think the "Alfred Hitchcock" statement on the cover is to be taken too seriously. What sad about it is that death and murder are all too horrid but all too easy going. Happy endings eliminate all. The characters are, of course, flat, and the main motive of the s ...more
Susan
Wonderful storytelling! Very good plot, unique characters that didn't hit the stereotypical - heroine (TSTL syndrone)/villian (ugly, smelly, bad posture) - and a few other characters throw into the mix that were hard to define as being good or not good until the very end.

The heroine was a smart cookie with a good head on her shoulders. Of the one 'bad' decision she made, I wouldn't call it stupidness, only really bad timing, as it brought her into peril. But what would these books be without a
Christy Johnson
A very entertaining novel. This would be the second written under the Victoria Holt name and I enjoyed it much more than the first. I felt that this plot wasn't as predictable and had plenty of twists and intrigue. At a few points I found myself countering between several who the main culprit could be. Some part of me felt that some of the story was vaguely familiar leaving me to wonder if I had, in fact, read this book years ago as a teenager and had forgotten mostly about it. If that is the ca ...more
Danielle
While not as good as Mistress of Mellyn, this novel was a success! It was a nicely written mystery mixed in with romance and friendship. Lonlieness is a large contributor also. While the love part didn't sit well with me between Catherine and Simon - as they seemed to rarely talk and about things that suggested they even liked each other, but Catherine was an okay character to like. Holt has written a decent book, easy to read, always keeps you guessing with underlying values between friends and ...more
Elizabeth
Rereading this forty-plus years beyond my starry-eyed younger self, I have to wonder how things would have gone for Catherine had there not been a stubborn male ally nearby. She was tough and smart, but she was dealing with a psychopath, and one, moreover, who was able to physically overpower her.
Emily
This was a really fun (clean!) gothic romance--the heroine is a strong character and spends more time searching for secret passages than moping over potential love interests. It had some of the stereotypes you might expect from the genre, but even when I was pretty sure I had everything figured out, it was still tense and had me second-guessing my deductions.
Athena
This is one of Holt's better stories. I still love the pictures she creates with words. This story had a few twists that threw me off a bit, which I haven't experienced in any of the more recent reads of Holt's.
Catherine Corder is a naive yet strong woman who hastily marries the mysterious Gabriel. She is received rather cooly by her in-laws, expecially Ruth, Gabriel's sister. This behavior is alleged to be due to the fact that Catherine and Gabriel married after knowing each other for so littl
Bunnys
Easy read. Entertaining and engaging. Very predictable resolution. But worth the time. Read it in a weekend.
Marianne Gregory
Read in my teens. Quite liked the drama and suspense, as well as the touch on mental illness as historically perceived
Jan
Read this maybe 30 yrs ago..great old Gothic romance
Julie
quite a good read read over 30 years ago
This is my first Victoria Holt gothic. I will definitely be reading more.
Nicole Landry
This was my first Holt book. I really enjoyed it. It was a lot like Mary Stewart's books which I've read mostly all so I was hoping to find another author similar to her. I really liked Gabriel (and Friday) and I wished he had a bigger part.
Kimberly
When I read Victoria Holt's Mistress of Mellyn I figured out pretty early in the book who the menace was, not so with Kirkland Revels. I pretty much suspected everyone in the book, so I wasn't too surprised with the outcome, although I was relieved when certain characters were found to be innocent. Holt did an excellent job of writing Catherine's fears and frustrations at the hands of her unknown tormentor, as well as her terror at the thought of being institutionalized against her will.
Chon
One of Holts shorter stories. I just love a good Gothic romance murder mystery. She had me second guessing the villain to the end. Victoria Holt paints a pretty picture of the landscape and buildings. I never tire of reading her work even though the plot is generally very similar. I find that the characters have such life to them, that even though they are not central to the love story line, I read for the pleasure of getting to know them.
Katrina
I really enjoyed this gothic romance.Victoria Holt is the queen of them.Catherine marries Gabriel very quickly after meeting him and he takes her to his family estate.2 weeks later he is found dead and Catherine believes he was murdered.Then She discovers she is pregnant and her baby is the heir to the family fortune.Someone doesn't want the baby to be born!.Several twists makes this a very interesting read
Lori Bigby
Kirkland Revels is a castle containing history, romance and mystery. Victoria Holt does a wonderful job at weaving the story and creating shadows and doubts about all the main characters until you finally arrive at the truth. I really enjoyed the book and towards the end couldn't put it down at all. It is very well written and it kept my interest throughout. I heartily recommend it!
Marianna
What a wonderful book. I used to read Victoria Holt in the mid-1980s when I was in middle school and have been anxious to re-read her books for years. My memories of them were wonderful. After having finished book number two, I was not disappointed again. A great story. Plenty of suspense. Well written and wonderful language. I am going to read book number 2, "Bride of Pendorric" immediately.
Christy
It's the standard gothic romance: innocent girl goes to an old manor with a dark secret, and meets a dashing gentleman who falls in love with her despite her lowly station. Sooner or later she runs into grave danger. Will her lover save her, or is he the real enemy? You know everything's going to turn out fine, but you still keep reading till the last page.
Carol
Yeah, yeah yeah....as a teen/young woman, I immersed myself in all of the Victoria Holt/Jean Plaidy/et al books. I actually re-read this one a few years back, and it really isn't too bad.

Edit: 8/5/12 - I really enjoyed this book (again). She is a good writer - it's not great literature, but a well-done story, good characterizations.
Angela Alcorn
Jun 18, 2010 Angela Alcorn marked it as to-read
We own this as part of an anthology, Gothic Treasure Trove:

Gothic Treasure Trove by Reader's Digest
Neja
Books written by Victoria Holt are so cheesy, but sometimes that's exactly what you need. I've read a loooot of her books when I was 14/15 years old..that was the last time I've read them. I absolutely loved them at the time. I'm thinking of reading one of her books just for the old times sake! =)
Gay
I don't remember anything about the plots (well, they had the SAME plot, didn't they??), but I seem to remember the level of affection for them. I devoured gothic novels from about age 11 to 20. At some point, I'll get around to listing all my favorites as my warbly memory remembers them.
  • Thunder Heights
  • The Black Swan (Daughters of England, #16)

Eleanor Alice Burford, Mrs. George Percival Hibbert was a British author of about 200 historical novels, most of them under the pen name Jean Plaidy which had sold 14 million copies by the time of her death. She chose to use various names because of the differences in subjec
More about Victoria Holt...
Mistress of Mellyn On the Night of the Seventh Moon The Shivering Sands The India Fan The Pride of the Peacock