Daughter of Deceit

Daughter of Deceit

3.65 of 5 stars 3.65  ·  rating details  ·  860 ratings  ·  32 reviews
First time in paperback--the 30th novel by one of the biggest names in romantic suspense. Noelle Tremaston, daughter of the infamous Desiree, the darling of the London stage, is forced to flee to Paris after tragedy strikes. With the coming of World War I, Noelle is led back to her past--and to secrets, scandals, untimely death . . . and love. Selection. Titles are listed...more
Published October 24th 1992 by Fawcett (Ballantine Books) (first published January 1st 1991)

Sharon
Victoria Holt was most assuredly the mistress of what we now think of as "clean" Gothic romance -- which is to say that there is some suspense, some romantic tension, and absolutely no sex.

"Daughter of Deceit" is no exception to the pattern. In this story, Noelle Tremaston is the adult daughter of Desiree -- a famous London actress. Desiree is well-known for taking in the proverbial waifs and strays, so she brings injured Lisa Fennell into her home. Lisa is an aspiring actress and Desiree gets h...more
Chazzle
Jul 23, 2007 Chazzle rated it 3 of 5 stars Recommends it for: women, and men who enjoy a good LMN movie
This is my second Victoria Holt book. This one seems a little more "romance-oriented" than "Seven for a Secret", but it's still mostly a pleasure. It's just that I prefer "skeletons in the closet" to "will the heroine find marital bliss".

Although I'm going to give the author a rest for now, she certainly knows how to spin a good yarn. All loose ends and questions are taken care of, and in a really entertaining fashion. I'll be visiting her again in the not-too-distant future.
ɑƨħŵɑɡ
How wonderful it is to find an amazing book by surprise. I am still in awe of this novel. It's a story with so many twists and turns. It is a successful combination of drama, mystery, suspense and romance.

As for the characters, I really felt a close connection with Noelle because she reminds me alot of myself. The others were okay too.

The story kept me engaged most of the time by the dialogues, if not by the development of the story. It's a very good reads.
Highland-dreamer
This is my second book by this author, and I've been disappointed both times. The heroine of this story, Noelle, was a bit "soft", or weak, for my tastes. For a woman who was surrounded by the theater her whole life, she was really quite dense to not detect the lies in a performance of an amateur. I thought the ending was a little weird, and anticlimatic. I wasn't really surprised by anything in the story, and could easily guess what was going to happen.
Noemia
Read in the portuguese version - Filha do Engano - translated by Maria Luisa Santos - edition Circulo de Leitores, Portugal Outubro 1993
Michelle Cristiani
Victoria Holt has been one of my favorite authors since I was a teen. Nobody does gothic romance like she does! She never disappoints.
Hayley
If you like clean, cheesy, romance novels then you will like anything by Victoria Holt or her pseudonyms.
Hanna
..an exciting book with a lot of twists that will blow your mind.. ..I love it!..
Joss
No idea where the 'on the eve of World War I' bit of the blurb comes from; although almost no dates are given, from references to Napoleon III and the Franco-Prussian War the book is clearly set in the 1860s and 70s.

Its not the most convincing plot, some of the twists and turns are rather predictable, and the dialogue is often stilted. I frankly expected better of a novel from one of Jean Plaidy's pseudonyms.
Maureen
I haven't read a Victoria Holt novel in almost 25+ years. I have probably read over 30 of her books. As a mystery writer, Holt never disappoints. The setting is usually in England and in the late 17th or 18th century. This story is about an actress and her illigetimate daughter, living in England. If you are looking for an easy read with some mystery and a little suspense, this book is for you.

this one I figured out quickly because the story was so predictable. So much so I didn't finish it. The characters couldn't keep my interest, thought most of them were ridiculous anyway. Not one of your good ones Holt.
Neja
Books written by Victoria Holt are so cheesy, but sometimes that's exactly what you need. I've read a loooot of her books when I was 14/15 years old..that was the last time I've read them. I absolutely loved them at the time. I'm thinking of reading one of her books just for the old times sake! =)
Saori
Mar 08, 2012 Saori added it
I was so astonished when Charlie Claverham said that Noelle is his daughter. It really broke my heart i thought it would already be a happy ending with Noelle and Roderick at that time. Good thing they found evidences to prove that she isn't his daughter.love it love it...
Jodi
Oct 15, 2012 Jodi rated it 3 of 5 stars Recommends it for: everyone
Vicotria Holt is a long time favorite when I want an easy historical romance read. This one didn't disappoint but there were no surprised about who killed Desiree and then who killed Lisa. Good, enjoyable read.............
Carol Waters
OK, the deceit was that her mother was a big fat liar. And so was pretty much everyone else. Why do I read these things? Oh, yeah, cleaning off the booksheles and going through everything anyone gave me ever.
Leigh Jenkins
While it isn't her best, this is still a great book especially if you're a big Victoria Holt fan. It was one of her lighter books but the ending made the whole read worth it.
Jan
This is a pretty good "Victoria Holt". Pure escape . . . I will be able to read this in another five years and hardly remember the story line! :)
Yolanda
I just love so much this kind of book. They're my guilty pleasure. Give me lots of drama and family
secrets, and I'll be your forever.
Rachelle
This was a fun mystery, romance story with unexpected twists and turns. It was a good distraction for me in my life right now.
Kathy
Not as good as some. I was a little let down at the ending. Not enough mystery. But all in all not too bad.
Lee Ann
Another Victoria Holt romance for summer reading. I love the 19th century setting.
Janet
Classic Victoria Holt and a tangle of lies makes interesting re-reading.
Grandma
Lightweight, but entertaining with a few twists and a bit of mystery.
Jwls Mac Ray
So far good....just haven't taken the time to really read....
Joy Jiang
It's my first English book by this author. I like that, the emotion.
Alice
It's wonderfull.I've never seen a book like this.I was moved a lot.
Undela Uneeb
the beginning was extraordinary but the ending was kind of inevitable
Hafiza
One of the later Holt's.
Not as good as her early books
Maryjo
Mindless summer read. Finished in 2 days-enough said.
Cheryl Duncan
Not my favorite Victoria Holt novel. But a decent read.
  • The Lion Triumphant (Daughters of England, #2)
  • The Stone Bull

Eleanor Alice Burford, Mrs. George Percival Hibbert was a British author of about 200 historical novels, most of them under the pen name Jean Plaidy which had sold 14 million copies by the time of her death. She chose to use various names because of the differences in subjec...more
More about Victoria Holt...
Mistress of Mellyn On the Night of the Seventh Moon The India Fan The Shivering Sands The Pride of the Peacock