Start by marking “Daughter of Deceit” as Want to Read:
Daughter of Deceit

Daughter of Deceit

3.66  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,094 Ratings  ·  40 Reviews
Noelle Tremaston's charmed yet unconventional life as the daughter of the infamous Desiree, darling of the London stage, comes crashing to a halt when her mother takes in a struggling ingenue and disaster strikes. Noelle flees to Paris where, on the eve of World War I, a bizarre twist of fate will lead her into unsolved mysteries -- and the arms of love.
Published October 24th 1992 by Fawcett (Ballantine Books) (first published 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Daughter of Deceit, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Daughter of Deceit

Misfit
Spoilers ahoy. I don't want anyone to waste their time on this.

The blurb:

Noelle Tremaston's charmed yet unconventional life as the daughter of the infamous Desiree, darling of the London stage, comes crashing to a halt when her mother takes in a struggling ingénue and disaster strikes. Noelle flees to Paris where, on the eve of World War I, a bizarre twist of fate will lead her into unsolved mysteries -- and the arms of love.

So, yes the heroine is the daughter of a famous actress and yes, disas
Sharon
Jan 13, 2011 Sharon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Victoria Holt was most assuredly the mistress of what we now think of as "clean" Gothic romance -- which is to say that there is some suspense, some romantic tension, and absolutely no sex.

"Daughter of Deceit" is no exception to the pattern. In this story, Noelle Tremaston is the adult daughter of Desiree -- a famous London actress. Desiree is well-known for taking in the proverbial waifs and strays, so she brings injured Lisa Fennell into her home. Lisa is an aspiring actress and Desiree gets h
Michelle Cristiani
Mar 07, 2015 Michelle Cristiani rated it really liked it
Shelves: gothic-romance
Victoria Holt has been one of my favorite authors since I was a teen. Nobody does gothic romance like she does! She never disappoints. Her stories aren't campy, or goofy, or sexy. Her protagonists have true trials, worse than most can endure. And the leading men aren't obvious - in most of her books, as in this one, there are several - not in the fantasy-suitor way, but in the keep-reader-guessing way. When you think of 'weaving a tale,', well Holt is the kind of author who could do it. To read ...more
Highland-dreamer
This is my second book by this author, and I've been disappointed both times. The heroine of this story, Noelle, was a bit "soft", or weak, for my tastes. For a woman who was surrounded by the theater her whole life, she was really quite dense to not detect the lies in a performance of an amateur. I thought the ending was a little weird, and anticlimatic. I wasn't really surprised by anything in the story, and could easily guess what was going to happen.
Chazzle
Jul 23, 2007 Chazzle rated it liked it
Recommends it for: women, and men who enjoy a good LMN movie
This is my second Victoria Holt book. This one seems a little more "romance-oriented" than "Seven for a Secret", but it's still mostly a pleasure. It's just that I prefer "skeletons in the closet" to "will the heroine find marital bliss".

Although I'm going to give the author a rest for now, she certainly knows how to spin a good yarn. All loose ends and questions are taken care of, and in a really entertaining fashion. I'll be visiting her again in the not-too-distant future.
ɑƨħŵɑɡ ♥Team Magnus Damora FOREVER♥
How wonderful it is to find an amazing book by surprise. I am still in awe of this novel. It's a story with so many twists and turns. It is a successful combination of drama, mystery, suspense and romance.

As for the characters, I really felt a close connection with Noelle because she reminds me alot of myself. The others were okay too.

The story kept me engaged most of the time by the dialogues, if not by the development of the story. It's a very good reads.
Joss
Apr 28, 2012 Joss rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
No idea where the 'on the eve of World War I' bit of the blurb comes from; although almost no dates are given, from references to Napoleon III and the Franco-Prussian War the book is clearly set in the 1860s and 70s.

Its not the most convincing plot, some of the twists and turns are rather predictable, and the dialogue is often stilted. I frankly expected better of a novel from one of Jean Plaidy's pseudonyms.
Maureen
Jun 07, 2012 Maureen rated it it was ok
I haven't read a Victoria Holt novel in almost 25+ years. I have probably read over 30 of her books. As a mystery writer, Holt never disappoints. The setting is usually in England and in the late 17th or 18th century. This story is about an actress and her illigetimate daughter, living in England. If you are looking for an easy read with some mystery and a little suspense, this book is for you.

Neja
Feb 09, 2014 Neja rated it really liked it
Books written by Victoria Holt are so cheesy, but sometimes that's exactly what you need. I've read a loooot of her books when I was 14/15 years old..that was the last time I've read them. I absolutely loved them at the time. I'm thinking of reading one of her books just for the old times sake! =)
Dec 31, 2013 Jennifer rated it did not like it
this one I figured out quickly because the story was so predictable. So much so I didn't finish it. The characters couldn't keep my interest, thought most of them were ridiculous anyway. Not one of your good ones Holt.
Catherine
Aug 23, 2015 Catherine rated it liked it
I remember loving Victoria Holt books as a teenager, but this one rambles aimlessly, with mostly flat, uninvolving characters and a dry, minimalistic style that sounds like Hemingway if he wrote romantic gothic suspense (not a compliment). There are no clues about what time period the story takes place until halfway through, when the French emperor goes to war with the Prussians. Part of the plot seems to have been ripped off from "All About Eve." The heroine is dull, passive, and clueless. The ...more
Noemia
Jan 15, 2010 Noemia rated it really liked it
Read in the portuguese version - Filha do Engano - translated by Maria Luisa Santos - edition Circulo de Leitores, Portugal Outubro 1993
Hayley
Jul 25, 2008 Hayley rated it it was amazing
If you like clean, cheesy, romance novels then you will like anything by Victoria Holt or her pseudonyms.
Hanna
Dec 10, 2010 Hanna rated it really liked it
..an exciting book with a lot of twists that will blow your mind.. ..I love it!..
Monica
Sep 07, 2015 Monica rated it liked it
Noelle is a daughter of a famous stage actress. The title gives you a hint that not all is as it seems. A big secret has been kept from Noelle and it threatens her future happiness. I am a huge fan of Victoria Holt. I liked this book but it was not one of my favorites. There were a lot of classic Victoria Holt elements but there were a couple unexpected twists that I didn't expect.
Karla
Jun 14, 2014 Karla marked it as did-not-finish
Where are some of these reviews disappearing to, GR? *grumble grumble*

Early 2013 or so --
DNF at 100-something. Plot was moving too slowly. Apathy towards the characters. Blah.
Gowri
Mar 19, 2015 Gowri rated it it was ok
A very linear narrative, somewhat shallow characters, not too much intrigue or romance - an average read.
Joni Holland
Jan 18, 2016 Joni Holland rated it really liked it
Shauna
Jun 29, 2015 Shauna rated it liked it
I love Victoria Holt books, but this particular book wasn't my favorite. The storyline just seemed to be all over the place and then just ended. However, it was a nice, easy read, and I am still a Victoria Holt fan!
Saori
Mar 08, 2012 Saori added it
I was so astonished when Charlie Claverham said that Noelle is his daughter. It really broke my heart i thought it would already be a happy ending with Noelle and Roderick at that time. Good thing they found evidences to prove that she isn't his daughter.love it love it...
Jodi
Oct 15, 2012 Jodi rated it liked it
Recommends it for: everyone
Vicotria Holt is a long time favorite when I want an easy historical romance read. This one didn't disappoint but there were no surprised about who killed Desiree and then who killed Lisa. Good, enjoyable read.............
Carol Waters
Feb 28, 2013 Carol Waters rated it it was ok
OK, the deceit was that her mother was a big fat liar. And so was pretty much everyone else. Why do I read these things? Oh, yeah, cleaning off the booksheles and going through everything anyone gave me ever.
Leigh Jenkins
Aug 17, 2013 Leigh Jenkins rated it liked it
While it isn't her best, this is still a great book especially if you're a big Victoria Holt fan. It was one of her lighter books but the ending made the whole read worth it.
Jan
Oct 22, 2008 Jan rated it liked it
This is a pretty good "Victoria Holt". Pure escape . . . I will be able to read this in another five years and hardly remember the story line! :)
yolanda;
Dec 29, 2012 yolanda; rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I just love so much this kind of book. They're my guilty pleasure. Give me lots of drama and family
secrets, and I'll be your forever.
Rachelle
Apr 11, 2013 Rachelle rated it liked it
This was a fun mystery, romance story with unexpected twists and turns. It was a good distraction for me in my life right now.
Kathy
Jun 30, 2008 Kathy rated it liked it
Not as good as some. I was a little let down at the ending. Not enough mystery. But all in all not too bad.
Lee Ann
Jul 30, 2010 Lee Ann rated it liked it
Another Victoria Holt romance for summer reading. I love the 19th century setting.
Janet
May 03, 2013 Janet rated it really liked it
Classic Victoria Holt and a tangle of lies makes interesting re-reading.
Grandma
Lightweight, but entertaining with a few twists and a bit of mystery.
  • The Changeling (Daughters of England, #15)
  • The Turquoise Mask

Eleanor Alice Burford, Mrs. George Percival Hibbert was a British author of about 200 historical novels, most of them under the pen name Jean Plaidy which had sold 14 million copies by the time of her death. She chose to use various names because of the differences in subjec
More about Victoria Holt...