The Elements of Graphic Design: Space, Unity, Page Architecture, and Type

The Elements of Graphic Design: Space, Unity, Page Architecture, and Type

3.65 of 5 stars 3.65  ·  rating details  ·  173 ratings  ·  22 reviews
Approach page design in a revolutionary new way! Unlike other graphic design books, The Elements of Graphic Designreveals the secrets of successful graphic design from the unique perspective of the page’s “white space.” With the help of carefully selected examples from art, design, and architecture, the book illuminates the role of each design element and how it can be ren...more
Published November 1st 2002 by Allworth Press (first published January 1st 2002)

David
I am an Educator and I found this book to be worth the time reading. I would categorize it ad an introductory book on design. Also, it is important to understand that this book is not a typical read and cannot be approached in the same way as other non fiction.

The unique layout was engaging. It gives the reader an experience with the topic. There are many examples throughout that illustrate the authors points, along with various quotes that add emphasis. There is plenty of imagery and even some...more
Karen
My one problem with this book is that I found it hard to read--it was difficult for me to latch onto and remember the content. I think this was due to the busy, overstimulating design, which made me feel that I had to process everything at once. That said, it is a visually rewarding book with plenty of good examples. One lesson in particular that benefited me was the discussion of whitespace. Perhaps if the book design had followed through on this I would have had an easier time.
Rossella
If you are starting a career in graphic design this book can give you a short but effective overview of the basic principles professional designers follow in their work, and the aesthetics behind it.

But if you are simply someone that, for some reason or the other, needs to build some graphical skills, and apply what you learn to some practical work, you are going to find this book just too theoretical.

The only part which seemed to me to be a bit more down-to-earth is the last section (the fourt...more
A
The actual text portion of this book I would give 4 stars, as it is chock-full of useful information and really helps cement basic design principles. However, I'm giving it 3 stars because the structure and design of the content makes gleaning the information at times a challenge.

The content itself is pretty basic graphic design principles, how to think about them, how to use them. Size, color, proportion, white space, grids, typography, etc. While is could have been organized so there was a lit...more
Sammy
Sep 26, 2007 Sammy rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: intermediate Graphic Designers
This is probably the best book on graphic design I've ever read. Usually, Graphic Designers are fairly incommunicative verbally. They will try to show you; ask you whether you "see" it or "feel" the harmony or balance or whatnot of some design. Of course, I don't see it. If I did, I wouldn't have to ask in the first place. Thankfully, this Alex W. White doesn't do that. His prose is clear about every concept Graphic Designers have ever introduced me to and neglected to explain.

Majority of the bo...more
Marilyn
Oct 23, 2013 Marilyn marked it as unfinished  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: design, nonfiction
I didn't read this book cover to cover. I found it on a list of 10 books for graphic designers & got it from the library. The text seems aimed at people who design commercially (advertising, magazines). As someone interested in graphic design as a hobby I didn't find myself compelled to read all of it. At first I liked the design of the book but there are so many captions describing the images that it disrupts the flow of the information, especially since you don't know if the example images...more
Tom
As the other reviewer stated, for a book about graphic design, this book has lots of visual clutter. Sidebars, topbars (is that a thing?), and full-page examples distract from the text and obscure the point that the author is trying to make. I could barely follow the text through because my eye didn't know where to go. I'm not a graphic designer, but I felt that the layout could have been a lot better. The text was well-written, though I felt it read more like an academic paper than a textbook,...more
Deanna Knippling
Okay. Book on graphic design. You expect it to be well-designed.

I'm not sure if this one was or not: maybe that was the purpose. It was incredibly informative (especially on typesetting, for some reason), but the layouts and graphics seemed to break a lot of the rules that he was trying to get across. You'd look at a page and have no idea where to start reading, there were so many text boxes on it. And yet it wasn't hard to read, or boring, or confusing--you just had to dance around a lot.

Recomm...more
Dale
Besides being a very well-designed book (as one would expect), this is a very practical and down to earth handbook for graphic designers. The emphasis throughout is on the techniques needed to convey a message, as opposed to simply satisfying a designer's desire to be different or to stand out.

This book is obviously useful for aspiring or professional graphic designers, but I think it would be useful as well for anyone putting together a website, writing a brochure, putting out a newsletter, etc...more
Alpha
Feb 14, 2009 Alpha rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2009
Yet another book that I wish my coworkers would read. This is written at just about the perfect level for me, covering a broad amount of content without going too deep. It was a good overview, and definitely showed me that I could stand to learn some more about this topic. (Especially typography, which was quite fascinating. I've read a bit about typography in the past, but this presented the topic in pretty much the exact amount of detail that I wanted.)
Bryan
Some good info, but its buried in pages of disorganized filler. Readability is sacrificed for visual flare on each page which makes for a hard read. (Ironically, this is what White instructs designers not to do). He introduces terms without defining them until chapters later. He can't seem to decide whether he is writing a guide for beginners or his grand treatise as a designer with years of experience. Generally his tone is pedagogical and snobby.
Adam Cole
For a book about graphic design, the interior was a MESS. There was no white space, no breathing room, nothing that wasn't jam-packed with graphics and text. It was overwhelming. I'm much more enjoying Design Elements: a Graphic Style Manual. The layout is clearer, the graphics and illustrations are given more space when paired with descriptive text, and the pace of the information is better.
I enjoyed the many examples presented here. I found many suggestions and the way they were presented to be disjunct. Possibly this is an attempt to meet the public where attention spans are generally short and fragmented? As film seems to bombard the senses, the reinforcing inserts seemed to impede the flow for my taste.
Robbie
Concise introductory design tips focused mostly on use of white space and typography.

I'll agree that this has a lot of visual clutter, but I think it was going for a textbooky look—which does tend to run heavy on the visual clutter. There was a bit of a "do as I say, not as I do" aspect to it.
Jessica
Apr 03, 2007 Jessica rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: graphic design students and graphic designers
This is a great book for designers and students to read in order to find out what graphic design is about. Designers and students will benefit from this book, Alex brought up very good example of what space is about and why it is important in graphic design, when applying elements onto layout.
W.C.
Aug 18, 2007 W.C. added it
I was going to just write a review of this book when I saw it on my shelf, but an hour later I'm done reading it through again. In a long tradition of books about graphic design being overly stylized and self-indulgent, this is a mediaful fun-fest of knowledge and artsy-fartsy discovery.
Charles
This book will make you more cool in a Bauhaus, European, wear-lots-of-black, visual arts sort of way.

Or maybe it will help see the world anew... ordered and chaotic.

At the very least, you'll learn a lot about the power of active white space in graphic design.

Natasha
Excellent images accompanied the principles described. Well designed and well written text. Very useful beginner's book on design principles.
Read this book 3 times... Can't wait to get my copy. Really go with learning the basics... Read it in school.
Claire Botman
very useful set of checklists at the end
lindn
Great reference book!
Jenn Reed
Jenn Reed marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2014
Julia
Julia marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2014
  • Making and Breaking the Grid: A Graphic Design Layout Workshop
  • Grid Systems: Principles of Organizing Type
  • Graphic Design: The New Basics
  • Designing Brand Identity: A Complete Guide to Creating, Building, and Maintaining Strong Brands
  • Graphic Design: A Concise History (World of Art)
  • Design Basics Index: A Graphic Designer's Guide to Designing Effective Compositions, Selecting Dynamic Components & Developing Creative Concepts
  • 100 Ideas That Changed Graphic Design
  • Logo Design Love: A Guide to Creating Iconic Brand Identities
  • The Art of Color: The Subjective Experience and Objective Rationale of Color
  • The Smashing Book
  • How to be a Graphic Designer Without Losing Your Soul
  • Logo, Font & Lettering Bible: A Comprehensive Guide to the Design, Construction and Usage of Alphabets and Symbols
  • Grid Systems in Graphic Design/Raster Systeme Fur Die Visuele Gestaltung (German and English Edition)
  • The Non-Designer's Web Book
  • Designing Social Interfaces
  • Layout Workbook: A Real-World Guide to Building Pages in Graphic Design
  • Designing the User Interface: Strategies for Effective Human-Computer Interaction
Thinking in Type: The Practical Philosophy of Typography Advertising Design and Typography The Elements of Graphic Design How to Spec Type Type in Use: Effective Typography for Electronic Publishing