God's Dream

God's Dream

4.37 of 5 stars 4.37  ·  rating details  ·  100 ratings  ·  29 reviews
With warmth and humor, Archbishop Desmond Tutu distills his philosophy of unity and forgiveness into a picture book for the very young.

Archbishop Desmond Tutu has a vision of God's dream, which he shares here with the youngest of listeners. It involves people who reach out and hold each other's hands, but sometimes get angry and hurt each other — and say they're sorry and...more
Published August 26th 2008 by Candlewick Press (first published 2008)

Niamh Griffin
This is an excellent story directed at children to encourage them to look deep inside themselves and asks what they dream of. In the story children are encouraged to live by the word of God, which ever God or faith they believe in or follow, and to treat people equally, being kind, caring, forgiving, regardless of how they look, what language they speak, their ethnicity, what religion they follow. It would be an excellent choice of book for use in a RE class as it incorporates the main goals in...more
Matthew Hunter
I can't stress enough the importance of Archbishop Tutu as a world figure. I had the privilege during divinity school of spending three months living and working with Burundian and Congolese refugees in inner city Cape Town, South Africa. Bishop Peter Storey, former General Secretary of the South African Council of Churches and a major player in the development of the Truth and Reconciliation Commission, invited me there. I got to walk in the footsteps of Mandela and Tutu.

Tutu's Ubuntu theology...more
Joe Stobaugh
One of the best books I have ever read. The illustrations are stunning and the text timeless. Sarah and I give this book to our friends when they welcome new children into their homes!
Kelley
God's Dream is a great children's books, regardless of your faith. It is easy to read and can really be interpreted in many ways. The Archbishop talks about all the things he thinks God would want for our world and they are all things I hope would hope, we would dream for also. It has large print and beautiful illustrations that children can read and enjoy by themselves. It has pictures of many different races, colors, hair colors, etc. so every child can find someone that they relate to. I love...more
Kristi Bernard
God's Dream is a wonderful book for children. It teaches that we are all God's children. Inspite of our differences in size, shape, color or where we are from, we are all his. This Nobel Peace Prize winner has passed on his love of God and peace through this beautifully illustrated book.

The illustrations in this book show children of every race and nationality. The children are absolutely adorable. The color schemes are warm and inviting. I highly recommend this book for an early reader.

J-Lynn
This book is written by Nobel Peace Prize winning activist, Archbishop Desmond Tutu and his collaborator Douglas Carlton Abrams. It is a simple message of similarities regardless of differences told through "God's Dream" of peace.

Pham's pictures show benevolent looking children from various cultures all getting along. The simple characters are surroundd by brightly colored backgrounds that make a quilt linking the book together.
Becky
Feb 09, 2009 Becky rated it 4 of 5 stars Recommends it for: K and up
I picked this up because I love, love, love LeUyen Pham's warm, sweet illustrations of children of all backgrounds. This book has a more religious tone than her others (it's co-written by Archbishop Desmond Tutu); it would be a good pick for a Sunday school class. "We are all brothers and sisters...even if we speak different languages or have different ways of talking to God."
Kris
I was hesitant when I saw this title, but I love this book! It's so inclusive and lovely, and I love the page where all the kids are talking to God in different ways. LeUyen Pham does a great job of showing all kinds of gorgeous children. Yay for Archbishop Desmond Tutu for making such a peace-full book.
Anne
A beautiful book for young children that talks about how we can serve and please God by loving one another.

After reading it at the bookstore I loved it so much that we bought it-- at full price, something I do not often do with kids' books, especially non-board-books that could be easily trashed.
Rebecca
I loved this book because it has a great theme that is easy to discover but does not overtake the book. This book helps us learn that we are all similar to each other even though we have different colors of skin, hair, and eyes. The ilustrations are amazing.
Amelia
I may bump up my review to four stars if my daughter shows interest in hearing this one again... What I really like about this book is that it talks about how to handle conflict in a Godly way and gives kids tools to act through love rather than anger.
Alicia
Feb 06, 2010 Alicia rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: kids
I bought this book for Nakyla when we were in Portland. I love, love, love this book for it's message that we are all God's children and should treat each other with love and respect. I love the beautiful illustrations.
Rebecca
This book will work well with a unit that will investigate different religions. Although fictional the text gives the audience to better understand the Christian faith. I recommend this for 1st-3rd grades.
Stephanie
I am not a religious person at all, but I loved the simplicity in this book. Religions tend to get bogged down in the "I" and "only me" and this book makes it easy to see past that.
Michaela
I love that this book has pictures of children of all different races, etc. Talks about how we should hope and dream, a great message for children. Great for Christian students!
Karen
My daughter really liked this book around age 18 months. Probably because the illustrations are superb. Of course, there is also a wonderful message.
Holyn
This is a wonderful book about our differences and how to cherish each other as God cherish's each of us. My daughter loves it.
Jenna Washburn
I learned from this book that no mater what color we are we are all brothers and sisters of our Heavenly Father.
Cara Byrne
A very sweet book that stresses kindness and spirituality featuring illustrations of children from different countries
Erika
We LOVE this one. It has opened up a lot of conversations about how we treat people.
Julianne
Beautiful illustrations and, come on, it's Archbishop Tutu... what's not to like!
Gill
This is a profoundly simple book with deep meaning for adults
Peggy
I love stories that teach young ones about values. Great book.
Dorothy
This is my current favorite children's book.
Lauren
Lauren added it
Apr 18, 2014
Lindsey
Lindsey marked it as to-read
Mar 31, 2014
The Smile Maker
The Smile Maker marked it as to-read
Mar 17, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Desmond Mpilo Tutu is a South African cleric and activist who rose to worldwide fame during the 1980s as an opponent of apartheid. In 1984, Tutu became the second South African to be awarded the Nobel Peace Prize. Tutu was the first black South African Anglican Archbishop of Cape Town, South Africa, and primate of the Church of the Province of Southern Africa (now the Anglican Church of Southern A...more
More about Desmond Tutu...
No Future Without Forgiveness God Has a Dream: A Vision of Hope for Our Time Made for Goodness: And Why This Makes All the Difference God Is Not a Christian: And Other Provocations Desmond and the Very Mean Word