Start by marking “God's Dream” as Want to Read:
God's Dream

God's Dream

4.44 of 5 stars 4.44  ·  rating details  ·  158 ratings  ·  32 reviews
With warmth and humor, Archbishop Desmond Tutu distills his philosophy of unity and forgiveness into a picture book for the very young.

Archbishop Desmond Tutu has a vision of God's dream, which he shares here with the youngest of listeners. It involves people who reach out and hold each other's hands, but sometimes get angry and hurt each other — and say they're sorry and
Published August 26th 2008 by Candlewick Press (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about God's Dream, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about God's Dream

God’s Dream by Desmond Tutu picture book for young readers cleverly teaches that people from throughout the world are God’s children. The book features an international cast of children through warm, rich illustrations by LeUyen Pham that presents the various races and cultures children may derive from. The author gently reveals God’s Dream: for all of His children to love, care, and share with each other in spite of our differences in race, dress, cultures, or geographic location. God’s Dream b ...more
What a lovely book! This was gifted to my 2yo, and while most of the words themselves are beyond him, he's captivated by the pictures and can recognize some of the concepts and emotions: it's easy for him to pick out the angry child, or the sad child, and there's so much to see and discuss on each page that this book will grow with him for many years.
Niamh Griffin
This is an excellent story directed at children to encourage them to look deep inside themselves and asks what they dream of. In the story children are encouraged to live by the word of God, which ever God or faith they believe in or follow, and to treat people equally, being kind, caring, forgiving, regardless of how they look, what language they speak, their ethnicity, what religion they follow. It would be an excellent choice of book for use in a RE class as it incorporates the main goals in ...more
Not sure what I had in mind for this book, but I hadn't expected to like it as much as I did. Immediately inside the front cover, I'm drawn to the depictions of African-print textiles (though they have nothing specifically to do with the story). The drawings are very clearly meant to be multicultural in terms of race, ethnicity, country of origin. Large text makes this a good choice for reading to a group of children.

The story begins with what God wants for us and from us. Had it remained focus
Matthew Hunter
I can't stress enough the importance of Archbishop Tutu as a world figure. I had the privilege during divinity school of spending three months living and working with Burundian and Congolese refugees in inner city Cape Town, South Africa. Bishop Peter Storey, former General Secretary of the South African Council of Churches and a major player in the development of the Truth and Reconciliation Commission, invited me there. I got to walk in the footsteps of Mandela and Tutu.

Tutu's Ubuntu theology
McKinzie Elton
This picture book is about God's dream for us: that we love one another. This book could be used in private Christian schools in Kindergarten or first grade to discuss students' understanding of themselves and their relationship to other people, as well as the issues of diversity and tolerance.
Algona Public
This book comes to mind as MLK Day approaches.It is a beautifully worded message of love and acceptance.I fell in love with it immediately & had to buy it for our grandaughter .
This may have been written as a "children's book" but since we are all are children of this world it's a book and message for us all.
Joe Stobaugh
One of the best books I have ever read. The illustrations are stunning and the text timeless. Sarah and I give this book to our friends when they welcome new children into their homes!
Beautiful book!! Every child of every faith should own this book!
God's Dream is a great children's books, regardless of your faith. It is easy to read and can really be interpreted in many ways. The Archbishop talks about all the things he thinks God would want for our world and they are all things I hope would hope, we would dream for also. It has large print and beautiful illustrations that children can read and enjoy by themselves. It has pictures of many different races, colors, hair colors, etc. so every child can find someone that they relate to. I love ...more
Kristi Bernard
God's Dream is a wonderful book for children. It teaches that we are all God's children. Inspite of our differences in size, shape, color or where we are from, we are all his. This Nobel Peace Prize winner has passed on his love of God and peace through this beautifully illustrated book.

The illustrations in this book show children of every race and nationality. The children are absolutely adorable. The color schemes are warm and inviting. I highly recommend this book for an early reader.

This book is written by Nobel Peace Prize winning activist, Archbishop Desmond Tutu and his collaborator Douglas Carlton Abrams. It is a simple message of similarities regardless of differences told through "God's Dream" of peace.

Pham's pictures show benevolent looking children from various cultures all getting along. The simple characters are surroundd by brightly colored backgrounds that make a quilt linking the book together.
Feb 09, 2009 Rebecca rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: K and up
I picked this up because I love, love, love LeUyen Pham's warm, sweet illustrations of children of all backgrounds. This book has a more religious tone than her others (it's co-written by Archbishop Desmond Tutu); it would be a good pick for a Sunday school class. "We are all brothers and sisters...even if we speak different languages or have different ways of talking to God."
I was hesitant when I saw this title, but I love this book! It's so inclusive and lovely, and I love the page where all the kids are talking to God in different ways. LeUyen Pham does a great job of showing all kinds of gorgeous children. Yay for Archbishop Desmond Tutu for making such a peace-full book.
A beautiful book for young children that talks about how we can serve and please God by loving one another.

After reading it at the bookstore I loved it so much that we bought it-- at full price, something I do not often do with kids' books, especially non-board-books that could be easily trashed.
I loved this book because it has a great theme that is easy to discover but does not overtake the book. This book helps us learn that we are all similar to each other even though we have different colors of skin, hair, and eyes. The ilustrations are amazing.
I may bump up my review to four stars if my daughter shows interest in hearing this one again... What I really like about this book is that it talks about how to handle conflict in a Godly way and gives kids tools to act through love rather than anger.
Feb 06, 2010 Alicia rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: kids
I bought this book for Nakyla when we were in Portland. I love, love, love this book for it's message that we are all God's children and should treat each other with love and respect. I love the beautiful illustrations.
This book will work well with a unit that will investigate different religions. Although fictional the text gives the audience to better understand the Christian faith. I recommend this for 1st-3rd grades.
I am not a religious person at all, but I loved the simplicity in this book. Religions tend to get bogged down in the "I" and "only me" and this book makes it easy to see past that.
I love that this book has pictures of children of all different races, etc. Talks about how we should hope and dream, a great message for children. Great for Christian students!
My daughter really liked this book around age 18 months. Probably because the illustrations are superb. Of course, there is also a wonderful message.
This is a wonderful book about our differences and how to cherish each other as God cherish's each of us. My daughter loves it.
Jenna Washburn
I learned from this book that no mater what color we are we are all brothers and sisters of our Heavenly Father.
Cara Byrne
A very sweet book that stresses kindness and spirituality featuring illustrations of children from different countries
We LOVE this one. It has opened up a lot of conversations about how we treat people.
Beautiful illustrations and, come on, it's Archbishop Tutu... what's not to like!
This is a profoundly simple book with deep meaning for adults
I love stories that teach young ones about values. Great book.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Wabi Sabi
  • Grace for President
  • Angel Girl
  • Max's ABC
  • How Do You Wokka-Wokka?
  • One Hen: How One Small Loan Made a Big Difference
  • Twelve Rounds to Glory: The Story of Muhammad Ali
  • Cars Galore
  • The Garden of My Imaan
  • Dimity Duck
  • Little Mouse's Big Secret
  • Girls Hold Up This World
Desmond Mpilo Tutu is a South African cleric and activist who rose to worldwide fame during the 1980s as an opponent of apartheid. In 1984, Tutu became the second South African to be awarded the Nobel Peace Prize. Tutu was the first black South African Anglican Archbishop of Cape Town, South Africa, and primate of the Church of the Province of Southern Africa (now the Anglican Church of Southern A ...more
More about Desmond Tutu...
No Future Without Forgiveness God Has a Dream: A Vision of Hope for Our Time Made for Goodness: And Why This Makes All the Difference The Book of Forgiving: The Fourfold Path for Healing Ourselves and Our World God Is Not a Christian: And Other Provocations