Start by marking “Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 6 (Fullmetal Alchemist, #6)” as Want to Read:
Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 6 (Fullmetal Alchemist, #6)

Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 6 (Fullmetal Alchemist #6)

4.58  ·  Rating Details ·  8,184 Ratings  ·  127 Reviews
The origin of the Elric Brothers! Once, Edward and Alphonse Elric were willing to do anything to become alchemists. But when they tried to use their newfound skills to resurrect their dead mother, they broke a taboo and encountered something more terrifying than death itself. Now, hardened by years of military training, Edward and Alphonse have returned to the woman who fi ...more
Published March 21st 2006 by VIZ Media LLC (first published October 22nd 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 6, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 6

earthy
Apr 13, 2009 earthy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, ya, manga, action
The details of Ed's and Al's disastrous attempt to raise their mother from the dead are revealed, and Izumi's reaction is fabulous. We also get some background on Roy as he assembles his Team of Awesome to join him in his attempt to take over the military. While of course the main characters in this series are multifaceted and fun, even the more minor characters, such as some of Roy's team, are really fleshed out. You really end up caring a lot about everyone.

Also, the author's comment about a c
Celine
Dec 29, 2015 Celine rated it really liked it
Shelves: wizardy-magic, manga
The sixth volume of this manga is dedicated mostly to more back story. I love seeing Al in his real body, and the love between these brothers is a constant highlight in this series. It has many touching moments, but didn't engage me as much as the previous two volumes did. We find out more about alchemy and the world these books are set in, which was intriguing. On to the next one!
Renata
Oct 06, 2014 Renata rated it really liked it
Aww I really liked their origin story. Poor little bros.

Also: no cats died.

But: some rabbits died. But I felt okay about it because it was for food on a desert island. Also they went to rabbit heaven in the bonus pages.

I am aware: that my GoodReads is basically DoesTheDogDie.com for books, and I think that is a useful service to provide.
Kellie
Jul 22, 2016 Kellie rated it it was amazing
More back story! I loved it.
Cel Red
Apr 30, 2016 Cel Red rated it it was amazing
Es interesante porque por fin vemos toda la historia de Al y Ed y sad sad.
Swati
Oct 08, 2016 Swati rated it it was amazing
Shelves: love
Finally! We get to know the brothers full background story!

I loved this volume, so far this is my favourite!
Chelsey
Oct 04, 2016 Chelsey rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2016, manga
Still have a crush on Edward Elric after all these years. I am not ashamed.
Victor Wong
Dec 13, 2011 Victor Wong rated it it was amazing
this book is about 2 kids that are brothers they set out on a journey to become alchemist. their first test was to be set on an island for a month to see if they are worthy enough to become alchemist. then after they do training and then they go home to show hometown their magic. then they try to bring their mother back from the dead but they are not suppose to b/c that is what their teacher told them never to do and they suffered a consequence one brother loses a arm and leg other loses his who ...more
Lanie
Dec 03, 2016 Lanie rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Manga fans
Not a u of the boys' teacher, or her methods. But I did like seeing their past and how they lost their original bodies and became alchemists. Recommended to anyone who likes manga.
Feather Mista
Feb 25, 2011 Feather Mista rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Todo el mundo.
Recommended to Feather by: La vida misma.
¿Cómo pueden unos pendejos de menos de quince años convertirse en expertos en artes marciales y cómo pueden temer y admirar tanto a su sensei al mismo tiempo? He aquí la respuesta. Que nos ponemos violentos, que nos ponemos filosóficos, que nos ponemos emotivos, que nos ponemos misteriosos; que nos quedamos atónitos, que nos quedamos intrigados, que nos quedamos emocionados. Todas estas sensaciones y muchas más en sólo 190 páginas de un manga clave.
King Haddock
Aug 17, 2011 King Haddock rated it it was amazing
YAY flashback! Slightly annoying for the reader who wants to know about the present, too... but I can't complain to all the information Hiromu Arakawa gave us in this volume. Yaaaay.

Oooh - and I have to mention I Am/God/the universe/truth/etc. Did you notice that chest thingie that held the truth inside it contained the Hebrew names to God such as Adonia, Elohim, etc. on the door??? I thought that was absolutely epically awesome.
নাজমুল হাসান
We get the full backstory of the Elric brothers. How they ended up the way they are now, how they got recruited as State Alchemist. Also the secret behind their master is also revealed. It follows with a really powerful and emotional moment in this series. But it seems new adversaries are on their heel in Dublith city. And next volume might be more action packed than this one.
Irene
Apr 14, 2014 Irene rated it it was amazing
Shelves: Μanga
*Aaaarghhhh I am addicted!!* I just can't stop my impulsive reading manga obsession! (Thank god there are 27 volumes anyway!)
Kayla Loewen
Nov 29, 2015 Kayla Loewen rated it it was amazing
Love it!
David Miller
Dec 24, 2016 David Miller rated it really liked it
The tragic backstory of the Elrics comes to its culmination, and the reader finally gets to experience the blood and trauma in all of its visceral glory. This volume definitely has some of the most disturbing panels thus far, revealing the injuries that left Edward an amputee and necessitated his prostheses.

The theme of this volume is determination, spefically that which has brought the brothers so far to this point. And thankfully the action returns at last to the present, because they still h
Bones
Jan 19, 2017 Bones rated it really liked it
El amor y la confianza que se tienen estos dos hermanos me sigue sorprendiendo. Ya sea aca (manga) o en el anime. Siempre preocupados por el otro mas que por ellos mismos.

Ni hablar que vemos un poco mas de la relacion entre el Coronel Mustang y la Teniente Hawkeye. Fanatica de esos dos.
Finn
Jan 18, 2017 Finn rated it really liked it
I loved finally getting the full character background for Edward and Al! One thing however, was the changing of time periods was slightly confusing. Otherwise, amazing book, and hopefully I can obtain the 7th soon!
Esma Tezgi
Nov 29, 2016 Esma Tezgi rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016
Şimdilik tüm seride en sevdiğim sayı bu oldu, Elric kardeşlerin geçmişini okumak oldukça zevkliydi. Adada yaşananlar ve Ed'in sık sık gülünç duruma düşmesi de bu cildi ayrıca keyifli hale getirmiş.
Ronit Ray
Shelves: read-2016
Actual Rating :- 4.75 Stars
Seno
Oct 02, 2016 Seno rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Flashback masa kecil Elric bersaudara sungguh menggemaskan dan menyedihkan.
Rachel
Sep 07, 2010 Rachel rated it it was amazing
Volume six character love: Izumi Curtis.

When Edward and Alphonse were looking into how to revive their mother, they concluded that they needed a teacher. Circumstances delivered a traveling alchemist who, unlike any other alchemist, didn't need to draw an array to perform alchemy. Instead, she merely clapped her hands and shored up the dyke about to break and flood the boys' hometown. She collapsed shortly thereafter, vomiting blood all over the place.

The boys cornered her in the hospital and de
Lix
Jan 11, 2016 Lix rated it really liked it
Shelves: to-buy, manga, reviewed
Rating: 4 stars
Disclaimer: Contains spoilers.

----------

I really love the Sig and Izumi. It's sad because I think that they'll be great parents. I hope they've just adopted Ed and Al but yeah, their destiny is way broader than being just adopted (and their father is still alive, yeah). I think their characters are one of the most bad ass characters in this series.

The Elric brothers are so adorable when they were just kids. Same goes to Winry, but I'm still in a love-hate relationship with her ch
Roxana-Mălina Chirilă
Sep 15, 2016 Roxana-Mălina Chirilă rated it it was amazing
I just love this series, ok?

This particular volume is mostly a long flashback, introducing us to Al's and Ed's pasts and their long training with Izumi Curtis, who is one of the most kick-ass teachers I've come across - after all, she wrestled bears when she was younger.

The "One is all, all is one" principle seemed a bit non-intuitive to me, so I'm not sure how she was sure the boys came up with it in the context of fighting for survival, but apparently it's a *thing* in Izumi's school of alchem
Jhaniel
Sep 10, 2014 Jhaniel rated it it was amazing
I have to get this out of the way first: Oh my gosh the Elric brothers were adorable children.

Okay, now aside from that this volume is really where I got pulled in 100% to this story and these characters and their journeys. I'm fully invested now--not just with the Elrics, but with all our various protagonists. The flashback, starting in the previous volume and paying off wonderfully here, is beautifully paced. I did watch the anime before starting on reading this series, and I felt in the show
Sarah Sammis
Aug 08, 2011 Sarah Sammis rated it it was amazing
Fullmetal Alchemist Volume 6 by Hiromu Arakawa finishes the Rush Valley and Dublith plots. It also gives background on how Ed lost his arm and leg and how Al lost his body all together. It also introduces the start of their friendship with Roy Mustang.

Ed and Al's time in Dublith is an interesting break between the original anime and Brotherhood. In the first anime a lot of time is spent replaying Ed and Al's first trial as apprentice alchemists. It involved a month of surviving alone on an islan
Janeen-san
Mar 29, 2011 Janeen-san rated it really liked it
In this volume of Fullmetal Alchemist, Ed and Al decide to go visit their teacher, Izumi Curtis the person who taught them alchemy in the beginning. She is a good teacher and is VERY protective of the the boys. Her 'teaching', though, involves beating them up, most of the time, as we the audience take a flashback to the past to see how the boys first learned alchemy from her, as well as Ed's alchemy exam, (which they changed the the show.) Izumi puts them on an island in the middle of a lake!!!! ...more
Bitsy
The more this series goes on the more complex it gets, in a very good way. Volume 6 continues the flashback from volume 5 covering the history of the boys and how they learned alchemy. The training was almost unbelievable to read about. I could not understand why some of the unspeakable and terrifying things even happened to them in the first place. This was true in the anime as well. But it really sets the tone for just how brutal and dark the rest of the series gets as things progress. They ne ...more
Mrs W
Oct 25, 2014 Mrs W rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014
This entire volume is backstory, so I decided to just accept it and read. Once I’d done that, I was able to appreciate the opportunity to see Alphonse in his original body, and really see these boys as the children they are. It’s easy to see the strength of their devotion to one another, and their intense determination to become great alchemists. I’m more invested in their quest now, as I have seen what drives them.

This volume also explores the unique strength of Edward’s alchemical abilities.
  • Bleach, Volume 19
  • Tsubasa: RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE, Vol. 09
  • Naruto, Vol. 13: The Chūnin Exam, Concluded...!! (Naruto, #13)
  • D.Gray-man, Volume 08
  • Rurouni Kenshin, Volume 23
  • Death Note, Vol. 11: Kindred Spirit (Death Note, #11)

Associated names :
荒川弘美 (real name)
ARAKAWA Hiromi

Name (in native language) : 荒川弘

Zodiac : Taurus

Blood type : A

Her self-portrait is usually that of a bespectacled cow, as she was born and raised on a dairy farm in Hokkaido with three older sisters and a younger brother. She worked as a farmer for 8 years before moving to Tokyo.

Arakawa thought about being a manga artist "since [she] was little" and du
More about Hiromu Arakawa...

Fullmetal Alchemist (1 - 10 of 27 books)
  • Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 1 (Fullmetal Alchemist, #1)
  • Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 2 (Fullmetal Alchemist, #2)
  • Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 3 (Fullmetal Alchemist, #3)
  • Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 4 (Fullmetal Alchemist, #4)
  • Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 5 (Fullmetal Alchemist, #5)
  • Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 7 (Fullmetal Alchemist, #7)
  • Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 8 (Fullmetal Alchemist, #8)
  • Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 9 (Fullmetal Alchemist, #9)
  • Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 10 (Fullmetal Alchemist, #10)
  • Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 11 (Fullmetal Alchemist, #11)