Start by marking “Grumpy Bird” as Want to Read:
Grumpy Bird

Grumpy Bird

4.05  ·  Rating Details ·  3,017 Ratings  ·  225 Reviews
Bird wakes up feeling grumpy. Too grumpy to eat or play -- too grumpy even to fly. "Looks like I'm walking today," says Bird. He walks past Sheep, who offers to keep him company. He walks past Rabbit, who also could use a walk. Raccoon, Beaver, and Fox join in, too. Before he knows it, a little exercise and companionship help Bird shake his bad mood.

Praised by the Wall St
Published April 1st 2007 by Scholastic Press

Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus! by Mo WillemsClick, Clack, Moo by Doreen CroninElias Zapple's Rhymes from the Cabbage Patch by Elias ZappleKnuffle Bunny by Mo WillemsThere is a Bird on Your Head! by Mo Willems
Funny Books for Kids
63rd out of 421 books — 330 voters
Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? by Bill Martin Jr.Boo Hoo Bird by Jeremy TankardMake a Wish Bear by Greg E. FoleyFroggy Goes to Bed by Jonathan LondonKing Bidgood's in the Bathtub by Audrey Wood
Preschool-"B"
8th out of 85 books — 14 voters

More lists with this book...

Betsy
Oct 14, 2007 Betsy rated it it was amazing
It happens. One day you wake up on the wrong side of the bed or, in this particular case, nest. When Bird woke up one day he was, not to put too fine a point on it, grumpy. With grumpiness comes a kind of ennui so, without eating, playing, or flying, Bird goes for a walk. If he was hoping for solitude, though, this probably wasn't the best plan. As Bird meets up with various friends they all join him for his stroll. First Sheep. Then Rabbit. Then Raccoon. By the time Beaver and Fox join the fun ...more
Jubilation Lee
One morning, as the sun rose above the horizon, the beautiful stars faded in the glow of the dawn, and the wind began whispering softly through the trees, Grumpy Bird woke up and was all, "Fuck this, I hate your face."

So he goes for a walk, because he's too rage-filled to fly, and along the way his friends keep stopping him to ask what sort of wheeawesomefun adventure he's going on today. They're way too freaking cheerful.

"Hello, Bird," said Beaver. "What are you doing?"
"Let me give you a hint,"
Dolly
Aug 01, 2016 Dolly rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: childrens, 2013
It just so happens that I was pretty grumpy before sitting down with our girls to read this book. I was upset over some minor transgression they had made and I was frustrated.

So when they handed me this book, I just had to crack a smile. And then I read it with a gusto that I didn't know I had inside me. I channeled my inner Grumpy Bird and went with his irritation. So, it came as no surprise when I found that I wasn't so grumpy anymore once we finished the book.

No more grumpy mama...priceless
Aaron
Sep 03, 2014 Aaron rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: The perpetually grumpy, small birds
Bird is a tiny version of me, except that he has better hair and can fly. So when he wakes up too grumpy to do anything but go for a walk and show his mild disdain for all life by resisting his friends' attempts to cheer him up, I am right there with him.

I wish I could report that the book has a happy ending where his friends realize the folly of the whole "cheering people up" philosophy, crawl back into their grubby holes and keep their happy thoughts to themselves. But being a children's book
Kathryn
Aug 26, 2009 Kathryn rated it liked it
The story is just so-so and pretty predictable (a grumpy bird becomes un-grumpy) but the illustrations are SO funny! I couldn't help laughing. Not destined to become a favorite, but definitely recommended if you ever feel like Grumpy Bird looks on the cover! :-0
Kevin Doyle
Dec 22, 2013 Kevin Doyle rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: young boys or girls, excellent baby shower gift
4 stars from me, but easily 5 stars from my family. Especially from our 3 y/o boy, who LOVES that little "Grumpy Bird".

This is a well-reviewed, popular book so I'll keep this simple. The text is minimal but SO fun to read aloud. You get to do different voices for each little critter who crosses grumpy bird's path. And, you get to be all gruff and annoyed when reading grumpy bird's words, which is a nice change from most books where the characters are generally happy.

The art is big, bright and bo
Thomas
Mar 07, 2015 Thomas rated it it was amazing
A fun book on its own but after a few reads you decide to change "walking" to "farting" (complete with sound effects) and now your young ones are hysterically laughing and there's no way you can't give this book 5-stars now for the joy it brought.

(Note to self: see if there's already a silly-farting book on the market and if there's not - get to writing it. I'll make a mint and be able to retire before turning 45.)
Jayna
Aug 11, 2013 Jayna rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
All ages

Grumpy bird wakes up grumpy and decides to take a walk. On his walk different animal friends decide that they want to take a walk too and follow grumpy bird. Grumpy bird notices that they are doing whatever he does so he deicdes to have some fun and have them stand on one leg and jump around. Grumpy bird realizes that this is fun and that he is no longer grumpy. He leads his animal friends back to his nest for a snack.

This would be good for a bird themed story time. You could also read
Sandi Roe
Feb 25, 2014 Sandi Roe rated it it was amazing
Shelves: family
Everyone wakes up Grumpy on occassion. Bird is so grumpy that he can't eat, play, or fly. He is left with walking. Along his way, he meets up with several animals. Each asks what he is doing. Each time, he gets a little more grumpy. His friends aren't detered by this and decide to walk with him. Once he realizes they all do exactly what he does, he begins to have fun and forgets all about being grumpy. Wonderful story of friendship.
Barbara
As sometimes happens to us all, Bird gets up one morning, and for no reason at all, he feels grumpy, too grumpy to even take to the skies. As he walks along the way to his destination, he encounters other animals who decide to join him. They follow him along, and when he stops, they stop. After he performs certain actions, which they mimic, his bad mood disappears, and he decides to fly back home to share a snack with his friends. This board book reminds us not to take ourselves so seriously and ...more
Rima Aroutiounian
May 29, 2014 Rima Aroutiounian added it
Shelves: 1
This is a children’s book that was voted in Colorado. This book won One Book 4 Colorado. It is about a bird that wakes up grumpy and does not want to fly so he started walking. One of the animals asks him what he is doing and he says, “I’m walking.” Then some more animals start following him and he stops, every animal stops. Then, he jumps, the animals jump. Then he says, “Lets fly and go have a desert.” Everyone flies and goes to have desert at Grumpy Bird’s nest. This is a great book for child ...more
Miriam
Aug 12, 2008 Miriam rated it it was amazing
This book cracks me up! The little kids I've shared it with in the library also seem to like it, so that's good too.
Whitney Maas
May 02, 2013 Whitney Maas rated it really liked it
Thank you Beth for this suggestion and it is adorably you :)
Erin
Jul 30, 2014 Erin rated it really liked it
Grumpy Bird is so grumpy that he can't even fly, so he takes a walk. He passes by a bunch of different animals who ask what he's doing and want to join him. When he realizes that he has a whole line of animals following his every move, he stands on one leg. All the other animals do it, too. Then he jumps. Again, all the other animals do it, too. Then Grumpy Bird realizes that he's having fun! They end by all flying to Bird's nest in the end... even though some of the animals don't naturally fly. ...more
Jamie
Jul 21, 2016 Jamie added it
Shelves: picture-books
Bird woke up and he was very grumpy. Bird decides he is going to walk. All of his friends ask Bird what are you doing. Bird tells his friends he is walking. All of Bird's friends follow him in the walk. Bird notices all of his friends are following him so he decides to stand on one leg. His friends stand on one leg. Bird jumps. His friends jump. Bird then realizes this is fun. Bird tells his friends to fly back to his nest and have a snack. Bird forgets all along why he is grumpy. This book woul ...more
Fibersian
May 27, 2014 Fibersian rated it really liked it
One Book 4 Colorado choice for the year.Grumpy Bird is too grumpy to do anything but walk as his friends join him for the fun he discovers that walking with friends IS fun.

This may not be a preferred book of mine because I think the illustrations are not overly compelling I love the highlighting of a book for the entire state.

The story is a simple little tale about working through a bad mood with friends and exercise. The story is simply sequenced with a clear beginning, middle, and end. Pre-w
Eva Leger
Jan 16, 2011 Eva Leger rated it liked it
Shelves: julias-books
This is a pretty neat little story - especially if you ever tease your kid about being grumpy. :) The little bird in the story wakes up grumpy, so grumpy he doesn't even want to fly. Instead he begins walking and to his dismay a bunch of forest animals decide that walking is just so much fun they'd like to go along also!
Upon meeting each animal they ask Grumpy Bird what he's doing and as anyone can plainly see, he's simply walking. Poor Grumpy Bird gets more and more irked as the question keeps
Jessica Green
Jul 31, 2012 Jessica Green rated it really liked it
Grumpy Bird woke up on the wrong side of the bed and was feeling grumpy the whole day. His friends kept asking him what he was doing and he started to get a little frustrated at the same question over and over. His friends followed him until Bird got out of his grumpy mood. This story also shows how friends can make your day a little bit better or help you to get out of a funk that you might be in for the day. This story would be good sometimes to read and discuss in the morning or after nap tim ...more
Amanda Hicks
Grumpy bird is very grumpy! He does not want to do anything with anyone; he just wants to be in a bad mood all day. Some Of his friends start following him because they want to tag along but grumpy bird is not too happy about that. To make sure they are following him, he starts jumping up and down doing silly moves, Etc. However, he finds himself having fun and then I becomes happy. This book is about having bad days some time, but noticing that it's not too late to turn your bad day around.
Jocelin
Apr 17, 2016 Jocelin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s-books
A funny little book about a grumpy bird that starts off having a grumpy day. With his grumpiness overtaking his day he decides to walk (to grumpy to fly). Along the way he has a menagerie of animals that decide they want to walk with him. Along the way he decides to play a little game of unspoken "Simon Says". This begins to lift his mood and he is no longer grumpy.
A cute story about how your day can start out one way and end up another. The grumpy bird was adorable!
Liz
Mar 06, 2013 Liz rated it really liked it
Bird woke up grumpy. He is too grumpy to eat, play, or fly, so he walks all day. On his walk, Bird bumps into several friends who all want to join him. When he realizes he is being followed, Bird starts to play tricks on his friends, waiting to see if they will mimic him. All this walking and playing is lifting Bird's spirits. Even though he woke up grumpy, Bird is stating to feel better.

'Grumpy Bird" is appropriate for ages 3+.

My favorite part of this book is the illustrations. Bird's face ra
Arminzerella
One morning a bird wakes up and decides he is too grumpy to fly, so he walks everywhere and is joined by various other animal friends who think a walk is just the perfect idea (they're not grumpy). The very put-upon bird initially tolerates them and eventually finds that he's not feeling so grumpy anymore. Bright, bold illustrations offset this grumpy bird's grumps. An amusing introduction to the concept/experience of "getting out of bed on the wrong side."
Russell
Jul 17, 2014 Russell rated it really liked it
Bird wakes up hating the world, finds a bunch of easily influenced adorable followers, starts a cult, and finds happiness once they all fall in line to his lifestyle choices.

Gets a bit Haruki Murakamiish at the end. (view spoiler)
Jennifer Rayment
Dec 19, 2011 Jennifer Rayment rated it it was amazing
Shelves: signed-by-author
Jake's Review: This is a really funny book. Grumpy reminds me of both my parents and the midget. I like how the bird is in a bad mood and than slowly with the help of his friends loses his grumpiness. The pictures are funky and I would like to read more books by the author that are more for my age, as this one is more for little babies.

Jake's Rating: 9/10

Mom's Review: I love Grumpy Bird, he totally reminds me of my kids, ok and me on some days. This is a truly delightful little story that everyo
Feb 13, 2012 Jennifer rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens-books
This is a fun book. My kids were drawn to the artwork and wanted to read it first of all the books we picked out. It's a simple little story about a bird who wakes up feeling grumpy and decides to take a walk. Along the way his friends all decide to come along with him. Eventually, he realizes the humor in the situation and stops being grumpy. Then they all fly back to his nest and have a snack!

Such a simple story, but the personality conveyed by the pictures of the little bird and his friends
Gail Gauthier
May 12, 2016 Gail Gauthier rated it it was amazing
"This has a subtle story. The humor is also subtle. Kids who understand grumpiness will enjoy this more than kids who haven't had their own or others' grumpiness pointed out to them yet. The book also has an intriguing ending that I didn't notice the first time I read it. Overall, a nice work."

Excerpt from Original Content.
Ang
Dec 08, 2015 Ang rated it liked it
Shelves: storytime-books
Preschool Storytime: Birds/Animals/Friendship/Feelings/Nature theme

This is a fun book for Preschool Storytime. The text is easy to read and the length isn't long. The illustrations are colorful and easy for the kids to recognize. This book can help you to be interactive with the kids and it helps to explain how friends can get you out of the grumps. It's a sweet story and the kids will like it.

Amy Ringquist
Bird wakes up on the wrong side of the nest and tries to spread his grumpiness to his animal friends. What started out as a bad day, quickly becomes an unintentional, and cheering, game of follow-the-leader. This is a model text for organization as each animal is introduced and added to the line. It is a fun example of voice as well since each animal responds to Bird's grumpy comments in slightly different ways. During read aloud you can easily add voice traits to aid the word choice (i.e., I re ...more
Audrey
Apr 29, 2014 Audrey rated it it was amazing
2014 One Book for Colorado. Great selection and we matched it with Early Bird by Toni Yuli and Wow Said the Owl by Tim Hopgood for fun storytimes at several preschools. Songs were If Your Happy and You Know It, and Rainbow Dance. Finished up with a fun game of Simon Says. BJ the puppet stole the show with high fives for everyone.
Michelle
Aug 28, 2015 Michelle rated it liked it
Shelves: for-the-littlies
Charming book for the youngest with great, expressive illustrations. My 5 to 7-year-olds loved it. Kids can relate to what it's like to have a bad day & the way Grumpy Bird "lifts" himself and his friends up at the end is a great twist. Recommended for read-alouds and home & school libraries!
  • What Will Fat Cat Sit On?
  • I'm Not Cute!
  • This Little Chick
  • I'm the Biggest Thing in the Ocean
  • Wow! Said the Owl
  • Swim! Swim!
  • Snip Snap! What's That?
  • Do You Know Which Ones Will Grow?
I get ideas by watching and listening all the time. I also keep a sketchbook and am constantly doodling and creating characters," Jeremy Tankard says. Growing up in Cape Town, South Africa, Columbia, South Carolina, Hazard, Kentucky, and finally Knoxville, Tennessee Jeremy Tankard, the son of a story telling father and a mother who oversaw libraries, was always surrounded by stories and inspiratio ...more
More about Jeremy Tankard...