Start by marking “Slinky Malinki, Open the Door” as Want to Read:
Slinky Malinki, Open the Door

Slinky Malinki, Open the Door (Hairy Maclary #8)

Lynley Dodd, winner of numerous awards for her hugely popular series featuring Hairy Maclary and his many canine and feline friends, continues to entertain us with delightful rhyming text. Enjoy the entire Hairy Maclary collection as he and his mischevious companions explore their neighborhood. Gold Star First Readers are for children learning basic reading skills. The sim ...more
Published 1995 by Puffin Books (first published 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Slinky Malinki, Open the Door, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Slinky Malinki, Open the Door

Becky B
Sep 12, 2013 Becky B rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: animal lovers
Slinky Malinki and pal Stickybeak Syd are every pet owner's worst nightmare, and the delight of imaginative kids.

Slinky Malinki can open doors, and he uses this skill to get into rooms he and Syd are probably not allowed to play in usually. Their romp through the house leaves quite a trail of destruction and messes behind.

The humorous and colorful illustrations are accompanied by well done rhyming text that repeats certain phrases making it easy for emergent readers to "read" along. Some of the
Marlee
Jan 19, 2013 Marlee rated it it was amazing
The chaos caused by this cat is so fun to read about. The great rhymes and repetition make the book appeal to even very young ones. The humor and mess make it appeal to older children as well. It's fun even for adults reading with children. We love Slinky Malinki.

I just read this story again with my daughter, and this is the first time that I spent a long time looking at the pictures. I think that the pictures are even better than the story itself. They are funny and detailed. Some of them give
Sally Edsall
May 08, 2017 Sally Edsall rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s
Slinky Malinki and his friend Stickybeak Sid (a rainbow lorikeet) get up to all manner of mischief when alone in the house: Slinky malinki and stickbeak Sid were a troublesome pair; do you know what they did? Alone in the house one mischievous day, they opened a door and they started to play.
I have not met a child yet who doesn't respond to the beautiful rhythm of the language and the sense of fun in the Lynley Dodd books.

There is just the right amount of repetition in the rhymes to create a sen
Bec
May 18, 2017 Bec rated it it was amazing
My cousin's little 3 year old loved this - every time i started the bit about him opening the door she would say "not again" and laugh - if this was my naughty cat i would be changing the door handles! lol
Nicola
Mar 14, 2017 Nicola rated it really liked it
Miss 2 loves it. I do enjoy reading Lynley Dodd's books, I like that she uses adult language rather than overly simplifying the text. Miss 2 also likes the Fancy Nancy picture books so she's quite content to hear the 'fancy' words as well as the ordinary.
Amanda
Jul 30, 2009 Amanda rated it really liked it
My favorite of the Lynley Dodd books about Slinky (cat) and accomplice (parrot) getting in all kinds of trouble behind every open door. Reminded me a little of Cookie's Week without all of the explanation. The illustrations pretty much paint the picture. The ending was pretty funny, but made more sense because we'd also just read Hairy Maclary so we knew who was on the other side of the door from their noses, etc.
Gary Masskin
Yet another hit from Lynley Dodd, although I get the impression (on the last page) that the rest of the story is just a prelude to the real mayhem about to be unleashed. The repeated "chorus" works very well, building anticipation as children can join in the exploration with the opening of each door.
Sandie
Sep 29, 2011 Sandie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children
I love these books by Lynley Dodd! The rhyming is fun and the pictures are just way cute. My daughter just loves all the animals and their silly names. We have read several books by Lynley Dodd now and have loved them all!

I think so far that Slinky Malinki is my favorite character though!
Kimberly
Dec 10, 2015 Kimberly rated it liked it
I love the rhythm and the rhyme that these books have. This particular story wasn't my favorite, But it was still a good and enjoyable story. My kids and I are Slinky Malinki fans and are eager to read of these books.
Hannah
Jan 05, 2015 Hannah rated it it was amazing
My five-year-old niece has parts of this book memorized. Lynley Dodd's books are delightful to read, because of the rhythmic pattern, and the adorable animals.
Robin
Apr 09, 2016 Robin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Oh Slinky, always getting into mischief
Emkoshka
A clever cat and a brave bird go nuts in the house while the humans are out one day. Door after door opens with some ease until some unwelcome guests appear at the front door. Good fun.
Christina
Nov 29, 2010 Christina rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s
Loved it! Love Lynley Dodd's books. Great children's stories.
Rose
Nov 21, 2012 Rose rated it it was amazing
Another great story in the Slinky Malinki books. Who said curiosity killed the cat?
Erika
Jan 29, 2016 Erika rated it it was amazing
I thought this was a very entertaining book as a child, I read it all the time.
Gloria  Jackson
Dec 28, 2010 Gloria Jackson rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, children-s
Really funny, loved all the mischief, Slinky Malinki and Stickybeak Sid get up to!
Shahrun
Sep 09, 2016 Shahrun rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this highly amusing and wonderfully illustrated rampage about some poor souls house with Slinky Malinki & Stickybeak Sid.
Marlene
Oct 06, 2016 Marlene rated it it was amazing
One of my personal favorites especially when I'm reading to children. The rhyming and repetition are easy to remember and the story is wonderful. I'm sure glad Slinky is not my cat.
Kirsty Cabot
First read to Ivy 20/07/16

Found the story a bit boring!
Carolyn
Carolyn rated it liked it
Dec 15, 2008
Lisa
Lisa rated it really liked it
Jul 01, 2010
Florence Turnour
Florence Turnour rated it it was amazing
Oct 23, 2014
Shanshad Whelan
Shanshad Whelan rated it really liked it
May 24, 2011
Bree
Bree rated it it was amazing
Sep 24, 2016
Susannah
Susannah rated it it was amazing
Nov 28, 2016
Jennifer Cunningham
Jennifer Cunningham rated it it was amazing
Sep 04, 2015
Matthew
Matthew rated it it was amazing
Apr 18, 2013
Lindsey
Lindsey rated it really liked it
Feb 05, 2012
Kolet
Kolet rated it it was amazing
Aug 27, 2014
Stephen Harvey
Stephen Harvey rated it really liked it
Feb 29, 2012
  • John Brown, Rose and the Midnight Cat
  • Katie Morag Delivers the Mail
  • Clarence the Copy Cat
  • Red Cat, Blue Cat
  • The Magic School Bus and the Electric Field Trip (The Magic School Bus, #9)
  • Diary of a Wombat
Lynley Dodd is New Zealand's bestselling children's author/artist. Her rhyming picture books featuring the irresistible Hairy Maclary, Slinky Malinki and friends are firm favourites, especially for reading aloud, all over the world.

THE BASICS
Born: Rotorua, New Zealand, July 5th 1941
Jobs: Art Teacher
Lives: Tauranga, New Zealand
First Book: My Cat Likes To Hide in Boxes, 1974

THE BOOKS
Lynley Dodd grad
More about Lynley Dodd...

Hairy Maclary (1 - 10 of 19 books)
  • Hairy Maclary from Donaldson's Dairy
  • Hairy Maclary's Bone
  • Hairy Maclary Scattercat
  • Hairy Maclary's Caterwaul Caper
  • Hairy Maclary's Rumpus at the Vet (Picture Puffin)
  • Slinky Malinki