Start by marking “Slinky Malinki, Open the Door” as Want to Read:
Slinky Malinki, Open the Door

Slinky Malinki, Open the Door (Hairy Maclary #8)

4.18 of 5 stars 4.18  ·  rating details  ·  195 ratings  ·  11 reviews
Lynley Dodd, winner of numerous awards for her hugely popular series featuring Hairy Maclary and his many canine and feline friends, continues to entertain us with delightful rhyming text. Enjoy the entire Hairy Maclary collection as he and his mischevious companions explore their neighborhood. Gold Star First Readers are for children learning basic reading skills. The sim ...more
Paperback
Published 1995 by Puffin Books (first published 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Slinky Malinki, Open the Door, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Slinky Malinki, Open the Door

Becky B
Slinky Malinki and pal Stickybeak Syd are every pet owner's worst nightmare, and the delight of imaginative kids.

Slinky Malinki can open doors, and he uses this skill to get into rooms he and Syd are probably not allowed to play in usually. Their romp through the house leaves quite a trail of destruction and messes behind.

The humorous and colorful illustrations are accompanied by well done rhyming text that repeats certain phrases making it easy for emergent readers to "read" along. Some of the
Marlee
The chaos caused by this cat is so fun to read about. The great rhymes and repetition make the book appeal to even very young ones. The humor and mess make it appeal to older children as well. It's fun even for adults reading with children. We love Slinky Malinki.

I just read this story again with my daughter, and this is the first time that I spent a long time looking at the pictures. I think that the pictures are even better than the story itself. They are funny and detailed. Some of them give
Emkoshka
A clever cat and a brave bird go nuts in the house while the humans are out one day. Door after door opens with some ease until some unwelcome guests appear at the front door. Good fun.
Amanda
My favorite of the Lynley Dodd books about Slinky (cat) and accomplice (parrot) getting in all kinds of trouble behind every open door. Reminded me a little of Cookie's Week without all of the explanation. The illustrations pretty much paint the picture. The ending was pretty funny, but made more sense because we'd also just read Hairy Maclary so we knew who was on the other side of the door from their noses, etc.
Sandie
I love these books by Lynley Dodd! The rhyming is fun and the pictures are just way cute. My daughter just loves all the animals and their silly names. We have read several books by Lynley Dodd now and have loved them all!

I think so far that Slinky Malinki is my favorite character though!
Gary Masskin
Yet another hit from Lynley Dodd, although I get the impression (on the last page) that the rest of the story is just a prelude to the real mayhem about to be unleashed. The repeated "chorus" works very well, building anticipation as children can join in the exploration with the opening of each door.
Kayla
A very cute tale about a very cute cat and bird. The story is full of funny mischievousness. Great for a group of kids or an individual child at bedtime.
Gloria  Jackson
Really funny, loved all the mischief, Slinky Malinki and Stickybeak Sid get up to!
Rose
Another great story in the Slinky Malinki books. Who said curiosity killed the cat?
Mckinley
Ok, not as good as Slinky Malinki. Still getting into mischief.
Christina
Loved it! Love Lynley Dodd's books. Great children's stories.
Olga Kilicci
Olga Kilicci marked it as to-read
Nov 25, 2014
Elizabeth
Elizabeth marked it as to-read
Nov 13, 2014
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
Oct 25, 2014
Alisha
Alisha added it
Oct 21, 2014
Kerry Hawthorn
Kerry Hawthorn marked it as to-read
Sep 23, 2014
Holly Ferrero
Holly Ferrero marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2014
  • What the Ladybug Heard
  • John Brown, Rose and the Midnight Cat (Picture Puffin)
  • Hattie and the Fox
  • Zorro Gets an Outfit
  • Aliens Love Underpants
  • The Tale of Timmy Tiptoes
  • The Kiss That Missed
Lynley Dodd is New Zealand's bestselling children's author/artist. Her rhyming picture books featuring the irresistible Hairy Maclary, Slinky Malinki and friends are firm favourites, especially for reading aloud, all over the world.

THE BASICS
Born: Rotorua, New Zealand, July 5th 1941
Jobs: Art Teacher
Lives: Tauranga, New Zealand
First Book: My Cat Likes To Hide in Boxes, 1974

THE BOOKS
Lynley Dodd grad
More about Lynley Dodd...
Hairy Maclary from Donaldson's Dairy Slinky Malinki Hairy Maclary's Bone Hairy Maclary Scattercat Hairy Maclary and Zachary Quack