Start by marking “Star Wars: Rogue Planet” as Want to Read:
Star Wars: Rogue Planet

Star Wars: Rogue Planet (Star Wars Legends)

3.41  ·  Rating Details  ·  4,422 Ratings  ·  126 Reviews
Rogue Planet is an unforgettable journey stretching from the farthest reaches of known space to the battlefield of a young boy's heart, where a secret struggle is being waged that will decide the fate of billions. That boy is twelve-year-old Anakin Skywalker. The Force is strong in Anakin so strong that the Jedi Council, despite misgivings, entrusted the young Jedi Knight ...more
Paperback
Published May 3rd 2001 by Arrow (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Star Wars, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Star Wars

Marly
May 13, 2013 Marly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-wars
Set three years after the events of The Phantom Menace, Rogue Planet sees Jedi Knight Obi-Wan Kenobi and his apprentice Anakin Skywalker sent to the mysterious world of Zonama Sekot to discover the truth about the planet and the disappearance two years before of the Jedi Knight Vergere.

(view spoiler)
Ron
Jan 23, 2009 Ron rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Ron by: Wendell Andrea
Very well done.

Deeper and richer than typical fan fiction, Rogue planet almost transcends the Star Wars constraints. Obviously, a story starring Young Anakin and Obi-Wan has certain constraints. But set as it is in the decade between Episodes One and Two, Rogue planet fleshes both characters while giving us a rousing SF story.
Jessica
AAH! I FOUND IT! I've been looking for this book forever. I read it when it first came out in 2000 (mind you I was 10) and I remember liking it a lot. Wow. I love Goodreads.
Adam
The blurb review above is ebullient with praise for Bear's characterizations of the protagonists. This praise is well-earned. Anakin and Obi-Wan are written in rare form here, granting some deeper insights into their motivations and psyches than one normally gets in SW. It's quite refreshing to see Anakin as a slightly matured version of the lovable, noble person he was in TPM, rather than the whiny douchebag he is until Palpatine gets ahold of him.

The plot is a bit strange and arbitrary. Obi-W
Mike Smith
Jul 28, 2011 Mike Smith rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-wars
This is an interesting Star Wars novel in that it is primarily a prequel to the "New Jedi Order" series of novels. Set two years after the Phantom Menace (the Episode I Star Wars movie) and 54 years before the New Jedi Order storyline, the main story is somewhat inconsequential, but there is an off-stage story about a missing Jedi that will become pivotal in the New Jedi Order. This novel is also interesting because it features Anakin Skwyalker, who will become Darth Vader, before the Episode II ...more
Joseph
May 06, 2010 Joseph rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-wars
I think the author was watching Farscape in 1999 when he wrote the book in 2000. The "idea" of a living ship is right from the TV show with Moya as the ship. This book is really out there on the Sci Fi ideas. Having these creatures latch onto Ben and Skywalker and then having them "create" the ships is really just weird. That whole concept was not very Star Wars if you ask me. There wasn't much action also.

The things that were good about it was the character development of Ben and Skywalker (age
Pierre Vorpuni
I’m heavily biased by my love for Star Wars, but Iloved this book.

The prose flows quickly and effortlessly, surprisingly, even the descriptions, which can become daunting in sci-fi, are embedded naturally and lightly in the text. The story didn’t contradict anything I’ve understood about the characters and the Star Wars universe. There wasn’t much suspense in that it hints at the ending pretty early on. The spiritual element, which is of utmost importance since this concerns Jedis, was quite eas
Brandon Sweet
Mar 09, 2016 Brandon Sweet rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Star Wars: Rogue Planet

Star Wars rogue planet takes place in a early point of the saga. A couple years after the Phantom Menace.
I enjoyed it very much I love Star Wars and I have since I was a kid. For a simple Star Wars book it was very long, but it's depth was great. We are introduced to a new Planet and a few characters not known by just watching the movies. I was introduce to a younger version of the known characters. I can compare them to when they are older and how they think is very d
Varun Yelamanchi
This book was very interesting to say the least. When Star Wars The Phantom Menace came out people were outraged by how they ruined the prequels. However this book was set in between the 1st and 2nd movie if the Star Wars Prequels, Now this book did have some boring spots and also some extremely exciting spots. Overall this book was alright and if i had to go back when choosing my book I most likely wouldn't have chose this.

"Anakin stood still, head lowered again"(Bear 321). In this book Anakin
B. Reese
Jun 16, 2015 B. Reese rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-books
The first time I read this book, I was not its biggest fan. It was a very slow read, and I really wanted something else out of it. I didn't hate it, it was certainly no Children of the Jedi but it was probably the hardest to read Star Wars book I'd come to at the point this came out. Even having met Greg Bear at a book signing for his Vitals.

But I read it a second time in trying to read the Star Wars books in order and I liked it much more. The second time, I went into it looking for more abo
Marcin Kowalski
In short:
Few years after the Naboo Incident, Obi Wan struggles with mentoring his young but promising apprentice, who has better ideas, than to spent his time learning. After some unnecessary imaginative trash-gliding-race on Corruscant, the temple sends master and apprentice on a adventure: To go to a strange planet and procure a strange vessel and to learn more about a missing Jedi. In the meantime militant conspirators attempt the same.

In review:
The Good - The movie characters dialogue is mo
Thomas
I was excited to start on this novel, since it's the first book set in the Expanded Universe to be written by an established science fiction author. The other authors in the series are accomplished, but seem to be known mostly for their Star Wars works; Greg Bear, though, had been publishing recognized science fiction for over twenty years before writing his Star Wars novel. So I was eager to see what he could do in the universe.

Bear takes the idea of Star Wars and adds a mix of hard science to
Lance Goff
Overall, I found Rogue Planet to be somewhat underwhelming. The writing is fine but the story is lacking.

The events in Rogue Planet take place three years after The Phantom Menace when Anakin is twelve years old. The plot of the story centers around Obi-Wan and Anakin going on their first mission together find out what happened to another Jedi Knight, Vergere, who vanished a year prior while on a mission of her own on the planet Zonama Sekot. Obi-Wan and Anakin are sent under the guise of poten
Michael Rudzki
Feb 20, 2015 Michael Rudzki rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An absolutely fantastic read - a novel which feels completely a part of the Star Wars universe. Rogue Planet actually probes a bit of the throwaway line from Phantom Menace about Anakin being the "Chosen One," who will bring "balance" to the Force. I never gave that much thought at the time
Episode I came out; I just thought it was one more concept Lucas ripped off from a better universe (probably Dune, which had a messiah who actually made sense). The "prophecy" isn't mentioned in any of the ot
Mike Jozic
Rogue Planet is a perfect example of when a good writer turns a perfectly decent science-fiction idea into a Star Wars novel. It just doesn't work. There's usually something off about them tonally and they generally feel wholly unlike a proper 'untold' Saga installment.

This particular adventure feels like a weird cross between Star Wars and Farscape with living ships and rogue planets and other wild ideas. To be fair to Greg Bear, a very competent sf writer, he got the character interplay of Ob
Michael Tidd
Jan 26, 2015 Michael Tidd rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: starwars
Greg Bear's only entry into the Star Wars universe was a decent one - exploring Anakin at age 12, before the Jude Watson scholastic series Jedi Quest (ugggh) gets ahold of him, was valuable. Here Anakin is still closely reminiscent of the 9-year-old from Episode I, but his emotions and inability to control them is presented well, along with his first kill in a rather chilling fashion. Bear goes out of his way to describe 3 or 4 brand new alien species, with very non-human characteristics which i ...more
Kirk
Apr 08, 2015 Kirk rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The prequels equivalent to The Crystal Star. Full of Anakin one-liners a la Phantom Menace ("Whizzer! That's rubbish! Oh boy!"), and kids being closer to nature and animals than adults because children are more special or some shit.

The pacing for the first two-thirds is consistent with mud, Tarkin's characterization and presence feels forced, like they just crammed a Rebellion-era character in there for familiarity purposes and nothing more, and the other villain is just forgettable. I do like s
Dacia
Aug 01, 2007 Dacia rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Star Wars Fans
This was a cute book. I liked it because it gave a link between Anakin as a child in the first book, to Anakin as a surly teenager in the second. This isn't exactly high quality, but it's fun.
Nurul
Nov 07, 2015 Nurul rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I read this after reading the first book written by Terry Brooks. While Brooks has painted rich and colorful descriptions on the main characters ( obi-wan, anakin) the feeling is somewhat disconnected in the second book. Its probably because of the way the book is chaptered similarly to that of a thriller ( 67 chapters), focusing more on scenes and plots than characterization. Anakin Skywalker is pictured as confused teenager here, almost completely different than Brooks version of intuitive, sm ...more
Tom
Dec 16, 2014 Tom rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Greg Bear is someone that I respect, but this novel read like an attempt to make Star Wars into hard Sci-fi. I normally write reviews that are paragraphs in nature but the following is the best way to describe this book.

Did Bear do a good job? Yes

Is this an interesting book? Yes, somewhat.

Does it feel like Star Wars? No, not even close.

Does it do much to expand the Star Wars world? Not really.

Does it have any redeeming qualities? Yes, It gives an explanation as to why Qui-Gon didn't fade away in
Eric
Aug 10, 2008 Eric rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
meh. Very good imagination. Mush different than the past few books.
Amy
Jun 20, 2008 Amy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sf-fantasy, own
Good basic sci/fi Star Wars fiction.
Orinthia
May 07, 2016 Orinthia rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I really do not like this book.
It switches between the semi-interesting story of Anakin and Obi-Wan going on an (Adventure? No. Quest? No.) trip to an odd planet that makes the fastest ships in the galaxy to find a missing Jedi, and the not at all interesting story of this guy that I have never heard of before, who who seems to be "friends" with pre-empire Grand Moff Tarkin.
On top of the lame plot, there is also some confusing grammar.
I am on page 196 out of 341 pages, and am considering aband
Darryl Dobbs
Now firmly entrenched in what is referred to as "The Rise of the Empire" era, these novels take place after Phantom Menace and before Attack of the Clones. It fills the gaps from one movie to the next with backstories on how Anakin Skywalker becomes a Jedi and grows into a man, as well as Obi-Wan Kenobi growing as a Jedi Knight and master.

Rogue Planet
A well-written and rather lengthy (for Star Wars) novel by Greg Bear. It has an interesting plot and gave us some great background. I didn't like
pamsreading
It's 4.5 *screeches*

Thoughts Vomit
1. Force ghost Qui-Gon even knew beforehand Anakin will have to be burnt on Mustafar. Christ.
2. Tarkin is the ultimate dickhead of Star Wars. Fuck. During the reign of the Empire Vader shouldn't even respect him for Christ sake. Arrogance gets on my fuckin' nerves. If Anakin remembers Tarkin for what happened during his early padawanhood, whether he's at the moment a Jedi or a Sith, he should have Tarkin's ass handed.
3. Annie almost internally force crushed
Eric Sullenberger
Although I listened to the abridged audio edition of this book most recently and have listened to that edition a couple of other times, I have also read the print book once [although it took more than one time checking it out of the library to force myself through it].
The last line there should give you a pretty good idea about my thoughts on this book. In fact, I remember specifically reading the full book hoping that maybe something that was cut in the abridgment of it that would make it more
Alexandru Florescu
I've read this 10 years ago and re-read it today. The first time I read it I felt it was boring and I didn't really enjoy it. Unfortunately, not much has with the passing of time.
While I don't think it's a terrible book, it just doesn't feel "Star Wars". I like the idea of exploring something different, but I didn't feel that the way Greg Bear did it in Rogue Planet was interesting.

I'll start with the good:
- Anakin's development: by far the most important and interesting aspect is the way Anakin
Leeanna
Feb 08, 2010 Leeanna rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: i-own
Star Wars: Rogue Planet, by Greg Bear

I've read this book a few times over the years since it was published in 2000, and it's never felt quite like a "Star Wars" book for me. I'm happy Bear has only written one book in the Extended Universe, as his writing just doesn't fit.

The focus of this book is on Zonama Sekot, a sentient planet that grows spaceships. Anakin and Obi-Wan are sent there to investigate the disappearance of another Jedi Knight, Vergere, but instead are caught up in the planet's
Adam Wilson
Rogue Planet was one of the first Star Wars novels I read when I discovered that the galaxy far far away had over a hundred novels written before, between, and after the six films. This one takes place after The Phantom Menace and well before Attack of the Clones and is a fun read. We learn a lot about Anakin Skywalker as a kid approaching his teens and his actions reflect that. I can’t say much more about it except that it is well-written and fits seamlessly in the overall story of Star Wars. T ...more
Crystal Starr Light
"They love their secrets"
Obi-Wan and Anakin are in the rocky part of their relationship, trying to figure out the Master and Apprentice thing when Mace Windu sends both on a mission to find the missing Jedi Knight, Vergere. Vergere had left for the "rogue planet" Zonoma Sekot over a year ago and hasn't made contact since then. Meanwhile, Tarkin and Raith Sienar have plans to advance their station and secure a niche for the future.
NOTE: Based on audibook and novel.

I Liked:
Greg Bear really does a
  • Star Wars:  The Approaching Storm
  • The Cestus Deception
  • Patterns of Force (Star Wars: Coruscant Nights, #3)
  • Cloak of Deception (Star Wars)
  • Jedi Trial
  • Yoda: Dark Rendezvous
  • Tales from the New Republic (Star Wars)
  • The Unseen Queen (Star Wars: Dark Nest, #2)
  • Siege (Star Wars: Clone Wars Gambit, #2)
  • Shatterpoint
  • Rebel Dream (Enemy Lines, #1) (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, #11)
  • Refugee (Force Heretic, #2) (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, #16)
  • The Ruins of Dantooine (Star Wars: Galaxies)
Greg Bear is one of the world's leading hard SF authors. He sold his first short story, at the age of fifteen, to Robert Lowndes's Famous Science Fiction.

A full-time writer, he lives in Washington State with his family. He is married to Astrid Anderson Bear. He is the son-in-law of Poul Anderson. They are the parents of two children, Erik and Alexandra.

More about Greg Bear...

Star Wars Legends (1 - 10 of 346 books)
  • Star Wars: Dawn of the Jedi:  Into the Void
  • Precipice (Star Wars: Lost Tribe of the Sith, #1)
  • Skyborn (Star Wars: Lost Tribe of the Sith, #2)
  • Paragon (Star Wars: Lost Tribe of the Sith, #3)
  • Savior (Star Wars: Lost Tribe of the Sith, #4)
  • Purgatory (Star Wars: Lost Tribe of the Sith, #5)
  • Sentinel (Star Wars: Lost Tribe of the Sith, #6)
  • Revan (Star Wars: The Old Republic, #1)
  • Deceived (Star Wars: The Old Republic, #2)
  • Red Harvest