Start by marking “2nd Chance (Women's Murder Club, #2)” as Want to Read:
2nd Chance (Women's Murder Club, #2)

2nd Chance (Women's Murder Club #2)

4.01  ·  Rating Details ·  73,921 Ratings  ·  2,066 Reviews

Working with Chronicle

Published March 4th 2002 by Little, Brown and Company

To ask other readers questions about 2nd Chance, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 2nd Chance

Marie
Dec 18, 2008 Marie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery-thriller
Chapter 1
I drove up to the library in my black Miata. Walking in, I thought, "Hell, I deserve a book, I've had a rough couple of days." I searched the shelves looking for books on my list...nothing. I sighed. Oh but what did I see? A James Patterson, I couldn't wait to tell the girls. I grabbed it and went to check out. The clerk told me I owed a fine; I exhaled. I must have gotten distracted from returning books before - when I was on the job of my lifetime that catapulted me into the spotlight
Phrynne
Aug 25, 2015 Phrynne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another excellent book from James Patterson. I am really enjoying working my way through his many books! This one is the second in his Women's Murder Club series and it was fun, easy reading. I read most of this on a train trip and its short chapters, good story, and lots of action and intrigue made it ideal reading for this purpose. This is a fun series. I really enjoy the main characters even when I have to suspend belief over their actions and just enjoy the ride.
Taueret
holy crap, these are HORRIBLE books. I can't stop reading them. It's like picking a scab. Someone help me!!
Miriam Smith
Feb 13, 2017 Miriam Smith rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"2nd Chance" by James Patterson is the second in the Women's Murder Club series. Having read and thoroughly enjoyed the first one (1st to Die) I had high expectations for this.
In the usual James Patterson style the story starts off with full on action and emotion and continues through the whole book at a fast pace, tension and twists abound with a final turn in the story I really hadn't thought of. Nice short chapters keep you reading 'just one more' until you realise you've nearly finished the
Rachel C.
It looks like James Patterson has fobbed this series off on a "co-author." Disappointing.

The plot has almost exactly the same structure as "1st to Die," in the style of "We definitely have the killer! The case is airtight! Except... we don't have the killer and the case is full of holes."

Lt. Lindsay Boxer also suffers not one but TWO acute attacks of Lois Lane Syndrome and charges into dangerous situations with the sort of recklessness only a fictional character who obviously must survive to co
Jerry
Jul 24, 2010 Jerry rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
"5" for entertaining plot, "1" for stereotyping the women...

The "Women's Murder Club" is back from Patterson's (solo) "1st to Die" -- three professional women friends of our leading lady, San Francisco Homicide Lieutenant Lindsay Boxer. Except for no sex, this book is a cross between "Sex and the City" and John Sandford's "... Prey" series about detectives against serial killers. But unlike the TV show, neither Patterson nor co-author Andrew Gross seem to have a clue about how women think, act,
Cary
Jun 30, 2010 Cary rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I usually read James Patterson books as a guilty pleasure and quick read, interspersed between "good" reads. I tend to prefer the Alex Cross books, but I recently received the 3rd book in the Women's Murder Club series, and decided I should probably read the first two.

I'm kind of disappointed that I did, because I'm beginning to find these books tiresome and recycled, and even sort of irritating.

I really don't consider myself a book snob, and I can usually find some enjoyment in any book I fin
T.
Jul 15, 2011 T. rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
More namedropping ensues (the pastor reads Dave Egger's A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius and the protagonist is still listening to Sarah McLachlan). This is like Sex and the City, only the four women discuss murders instead of men over drinks. Oh wait, they do talk about men, too!

The story arc is almost identical to how the first book went down: there goes murder one, two, three and counting, then we finally had a suspect and wow we're chasing him down, we're finally getting leads afte
Helen
Aug 27, 2011 Helen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
I didn't like this book quite as much as the first in the series, mostly because the story seemed so similar. It was still fun with a quick pace and I like the characters. James Patterson can certainly write, I just didn't find this as good as the previous book.
Ivy
5 stars

Another very good book. Really enjoying this series. RIP Chief Mercer. Cool that Lindsay Boxer became a Lieutenant. Nice to see the Women's Murder Club again. Glad we got to see Marty Boxer for a little bit. Case was weird and somewhat scary. Poor people who died. Hope Cindy and Aaron Winslow will stay together for a long time.

Can't wait to read 3rd Degree!!!!
Marleen
15 years ago I read this book for the first time. I didn't write reviews then. I do now. I remember giving this book a high rating. Now, so many years later, I still think it's a better story than book 1. The motivation behind the killing spree is more rooted in a credible vendetta; and it's more than just a random psycho-killer on the loose. When one of the victims is the African-American chief of police, Earl Mercer, the homicide team become more certain that the killings are related to the SF ...more
Aaron
Aug 17, 2009 Aaron rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lindsay, Cindy, Claire, and Jill are back for the second outing as the Women's Murder Club, and this time the murderer is going to hit them right at home.

Lindsay has recovered from the shock of losing her love at the end of the previous book and finds herself in a new role. She is now the Lieutenant in charge of Homicide, thanks to the prestige of bringing an end to the bride and groom murderer. Her next nemesis might even be considered even more evil.

His work starts on the grounds of a local ch
Teena in Toronto
After choir practice as the children are leaving, a gunman open fires on them, killing a young black girl and Lindsay investigates. It seems like a random act until Cindy, Lindsay's friend and another member of the Women's Murder Club, tells Lindsay that the hanging of an older black woman and the killing of the girl may be related. There is the same symbol at both deaths plus both have a connection to police officers. Then there are more shootings ... one hits its mark killing the person and ot ...more
Michael
Aug 20, 2009 Michael rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
James Patterson's second installment of his Women's Murder Club series is a fast pased but ultimately unsatisfying read. The central mystery is an intriguing one--a killer is targeting police officers and those connected to police officers who are connected to a mysterious series of events that took place years ago.

It's an idea that has merit and has been done better in other mystery stories--most notably anything by Elizabeth George.

The mystery has twists and turns, most of them fairly laughabl
Don Voorhees
2nd Chance reconvenes the Women's Murder Club, four friends (a detective, a reporter, an assistant district attorney, and a medical examiner) who used their networking skills, feminine intuition, and professional wiles to solve a baffling series of murders in 1st to Die. This time, the murders of two African Americans, a little girl and an old woman, bear all the signs of a serial killer for Lindsay Boxer, newly promoted to lieutenant of San Francisco's homicide squad. But there's an odd detail ...more
Bill Tillman
Jan 23, 2010 Bill Tillman rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, thriller
The sensational killings that have rocked San Francisco appear to be unrelated except in their brutality. But detective Lindsay Boxer senses there's some thread connecting them all. She calls her friends in the Women's Murder Club together to see if they can discover what it is. Surely some clue has been overlooked by their bosses and male colleagues. Working with Chronicle reporter Cindy Thomas, Assistant District Attorney Jill Bernhardt, and medical examiner Claire Washburn, Lindsay discovers ...more
Candace
Jan 03, 2011 Candace rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: mystery lovers, readers who enjoy strong positive female characters
Recommended to Candace by: my mother
Kaylee
May 21, 2016 Kaylee rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: zread-in-2016
Kellee
Jul 03, 2008 Kellee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is only my 2nd book by Patterson, but I am now a huge fan. I usually don't LOL when reading books. It takes a lot for me to get to that point, but I did towards the end. Not to mention, I just couldn't put it down. I think Patterson knows what he is doing by having such short chapters. It makes it so much easier to continue reading the book.
Freda Malone
Jan 03, 2017 Freda Malone rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm all for the 'unconventional' way of doing some things, but having a murder club consist of 4 women just doesn't appeal to me. However, I'm reading this series because it IS so unconventional. Getting to know these women is fun. Each with their own problems, they also show strength with each other and if it works, then go for it.

More to follow.
Jenn
Mar 13, 2013 Jenn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
excellent read!!! Alot of suspense!!! just when you thought it was solved it actually isnt!! love this series!!!
Haley
Dec 10, 2015 Haley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great fast paced read. Action, Action, Action!

O.R. Johnson
Mar 22, 2017 O.R. Johnson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book more than the 1st in the series. Stumbling upon the series so late in the game, I attributed my dislike to the first to the book's inability to transcend time. After speaking with two different readers who promised the series gets better over time, I continued.

I am still not crazy about the way the members of the "club" fumble through the cases, nor am I thrilled with the portrayal of female friendship. I'm going to attribute this to the books being written by men. The idea
Jessica
Jul 24, 2008 Jessica rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Since these have been on the bestseller's lists recently, I thought I'd give them a read. Apparently James Patterson decided to jump on the recent women's mystery series craze. The books, thusfar, are 1st to Die, 2nd Chance, 3rd Degree, 4th of July, and 5th Horseman.
Despite the uncreative title for the series (Women's Murder Club? Come on!) the books work rather well. We're not talking the depth or detail and complexity of Sherlock Holmes here, but they're an entertaining if somewhat gory read.
Book Concierge
Book on CD performed by Melissa Leo & Jeremy Piven.
2**

From the book jacket: The Women’s Murder Club is back! a brilliantly diabolical killer is murdering people from every walk of life. The deaths seem unrelated but police homicide inspector Lindsay Boxer senses a connection and , together with medical examiner Claire, assistant D.A. Jill, and Chronicle reporter Cindy, finds a link that sends a chill through the entire nation. This killer’s motives are unspeakable.

MY REACTIONS
The hyperbole
Keisha
Feb 18, 2017 Keisha rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 stars.

Keep me guessing until the end.
Sara Niles
Jan 07, 2012 Sara Niles rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have read many of Patterson's books and found most to be written in a logical progression style with the 'fact's outnumbering the emotional appeal of the overall story; sort of a 'man's view' of the story versus a feelings view and because of that, I have liked all of Patterson's books but loved only a few. 2nd Chance contains the theme of ' A women's murder club novel' simply because four outstanding professional women meet as friends to staff difficult cases. It is perhaps this element of Pa ...more
Linda Acaster
New San Francisco Homicide Lieutenant, Lindsay Boxer, finds herself on the track of a serial killer attempting to incite racial hatred by targeting Blacks, but is this just a blind? Her estranged father, an ex cop, makes an unexpected appearance, seeking to right the wrongs he did to his family, but was he running from more than his family 20 years ago?

This should have been a very good read, and probably had I had read it, as opposed to listen to it on CD during commutes, it might have been bett
Elizabeth
It was a good book and the ending was a good twist. I kind of missed some of the more detailed elements of Patterson's gruesomeness, but it was only for a moment. It was a quick read, even though it doesn't look like that. The short chapters really help as does actually liking the characters. Sure, you want to reach through and strangle Lindsey sometimes and her dad the next, but it settles down near the end.

Can't wait to start 3rd Degree and continue my reading of the series in advance of 10th
Faye
Jul 11, 2015 Faye rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well what can I say love James Patterson, love this series, I love the four main characters in this series, each woman has a special talent to bring to the story and each new book in the series you find out what has happened to each character. Not too heavy.
  • Black Notice (Kay Scarpetta, #10)
  • C is for Corpse  (Kinsey Millhone, #3)
  • Countdown (Eve Duncan, #6)
  • Orchid Blues (Holly Barker, #2)
  • Lady Killer (Rosato & Associates, #10)
  • The Sinner (Rizzoli & Isles, #3)
  • The Killing Hour (Quincy & Rainie, #4)
  • On the Street Where You Live
  • The Blue Zone
Official US Site
Official UK Site
BookShots
JIMMY Patterson Books
Official Site for James Patterson's Middle School Series
ReadKiddoRead

James Patterson has created more enduring fictional characters than any other novelist writing today with his Alex Cross, Michael Bennett, Women’s Murder Club, Private, NYPD Red, Daniel X, Maximum Ride, and Middle School series. As of January 2016, he has sold over 350
More about James Patterson...

Women's Murder Club (1 - 10 of 16 books)
  • 1st to Die (Women's Murder Club, #1)
  • 3rd Degree (Women's Murder Club, #3)
  • 4th of July (Women's Murder Club, #4)
  • The 5th Horseman (Women's Murder Club, #5)
  • The 6th Target (Women's Murder Club, #6)
  • 7th Heaven (Women's Murder Club, #7)
  • The 8th Confession (Women's Murder Club, #8)
  • The 9th Judgment  (Women's Murder Club, #9)
  • 10th Anniversary (Women's Murder Club, #10)
  • 11th Hour (Women's Murder Club, #11)

“some being attended to by EMS teams. “Oh, Jesus,” I whispered under my breath. I spotted medical techs in black windbreakers huddled over the body of a young girl by the front steps. A couple of plainclothesmen were nearby. One of them was my” 1 likes
“made him tick. Was it” 0 likes