Start by marking “We're Going on a Lion Hunt” as Want to Read:
We're Going on a Lion Hunt

We're Going on a Lion Hunt

3.84 of 5 stars 3.84  ·  rating details  ·  173 ratings  ·  27 reviews
We’re going on a lion hunt. Time to put on your safari hats, says a teacher before leading her class on an exciting imaginary journey. Off they go! They slosh through mud, splish-splash through rivers, swish through grass, and finally come face to face with a lion! Joe Mathieu brings the lion hunt to life with delightful illustrations rendered in Prisma colors, dyes, pen, ...more
Published September 1st 2008 by Two Lions

To ask other readers questions about We're Going on a Lion Hunt, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about We're Going on a Lion Hunt

Goodnight Moon by Margaret Wise BrownThe Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric CarleWhere the Wild Things Are by Maurice SendakThe Cat in the Hat by Dr. SeussBrown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? by Bill Martin Jr.
Best Books For Very Young Children
56th out of 134 books — 38 voters
The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. LewisTiger's Curse by Colleen HouckMagic Bites by Ilona AndrewsTiger's Quest by Colleen HouckMagic Strikes by Ilona Andrews
Lions/Tigers
39th out of 183 books — 41 voters

More lists with this book...

Karen
While I prefer Going on a Bear Hunt, We're Going on a Lion Hunt is also a very fun book. In We're going on a Lion Hunt, a teacher and her students take a trip through the safari to try to find a lion that they are not afraid of. They come to many obstacles and have to find a way to get through them. Eventually, there goal is met as they find a lion, and they must quickly return to the safety of their classroom.
My favorite things about these books are the onomatopoeia. This would be a great book
Mariah Logsdon
Level: 1.1
Interest: Kindergarten, First Grade

A teacher leads the class out of the classroom by going on a lion hunt through the tall grass even through the mud. A fun way to introduce kindergarten students to listening to directions, and for listening to different sounds such as onomatopoeia. Even the story can be used as a transition between subjects by allowing students to move around.
Sarah Adamson
This is a fun adaptation of the classic "we're going on a bear hunt" and nicely explores a school outing using one's imagination. It would get 4* from me but I preferred the original. There are beautiful drawings here but some of the resting background is just too vivid for this story.
Vivian
Okay everyone, put on your safari hats! (can follow up with a paper hat folding craft).

This is my FAVORITE version of a favorite action story to share in library story time.

Big double-page spread illustrations (diversity of children in the class field trip, too).

Traci
Clever and fun revamp of the popular childhood interactive song.

Margery Culver wrote the new twists and Joe Mathieu illustrated it vividly.

An older book from 2008 but worth reading again and again to children.
Lisa Carroll
This is an adorable book for children who love to use their imaginations! I chose this as a concept book because it teaches directionality. "Can't go over it. Can't go under it. Can't go around it. Have to go through it." Each page has a different obstacle that the teacher and her class have to pass, and each time they have to follow different directions. To learn movements and to follow directions are important for children. It would be wonderful for children to reinact this story in the classr ...more
Elaine
A very good story about one class using their imagination to enter into a safari and trek through the areas such mud, rivers, and caves. The story was easy to follow and understand. During preschool storytime, the kids were able to relate the book with safari animals as I asked them to name a few safari animals in mind. We had a great time with this book.
Katie Fleming
"We're Going on a Lion Hunt" by Margery Cuyler is a story about a class that uses there imagination and goes on a trip to find a lion. This book is a great independent reader. It has simple words and many repeated phrases. This book was alright but it really did not teach much other than to improve children's reading skills. It would be more of a recreational book for a child to read rather than a book to read to a class full of students.
Audeena
Genre: Fantasy/concepts
Copyright Date: 2008

This is a book that I looked at using for one of my literature circles. I really liked this book and I love the illustrations. It has a lot of things that you could use to go with the story like the song, a felt board, props, hats, etc. I just didn't have the time to put in to all of it but I home to make a lesson out of it for my classroom.
Nakitah
Nov 27, 2011 Nakitah added it
Shelves: creativity
This book talks about using creativity to help explore different environments that students might not have necissarily been in. This is a set of boosk that feature different adventures some friends are going on. This can be used to set up a situation where students are going on a different adventure, and they have to write about it in their personal journals or writing logs.
Kristy Schwertfeger
This is a cute book about going on a lion hunt. The book has a lot of sounds that i like and i think children will like too. It feels like you are actually on the safari and hearing the noises. The book also has phrases that repeat so the children can start to help you say the parts of the story together.
Brandy Locchetta
This is a great adaptation of a familiar book/song. We're Going on a Lion Hunt can be used for a fun music and movement activity, a fantastic dramatic play prop box and is full of fun new vocabulary shifts from the original "bear hunt".
Patrick Henry
Good for story time, kind of like We're going on a Bear Hunt. It is kind of corny, but kids will like pictures and the anticipation and repetetive type of interaction involved.

-Shannon
Kristen Luppino
"Going on a Bear Hunt" is such a classic, and this is a fun twist! I can't wait to read it to my class of four-year and five-year-olds who already know bear hunt well!
June Francis
Great read

Great read my two year old liked it! Good book for identifying animals.

Great illustrations and not too long!
Great concept!
Nicole
An okay picture book, but I really used more as reference/the basis for a stand-up action rhyme with a storytime group (which the kids really loved)...
Heather
44 months - This might have been a good read at a year and a half. O still enjoyed it but if you've read Going on a Bear Hunt it's a bit redundant.
Tara
This book was cute for a younger audience. You can read it with a certain beat and be able to have the students sing along or clap their hands.
Airiel Owens
Good for teaching directional words as well as talking about the different habitats the characters face throughout the book.
Horace Mann Family Reading Challenge
They said they wern't afraid but they ran from the lion. Fun song. O.P.
Amy Brown
New picture book based on the rhyme We're Going on a Bear Hunt.
Lisa
The story has been done before, but the pictures save the book.
Tina
"adaption of going on a bear hunt, lions, cute adaption"
Contemplative
Jul 08, 2009 Contemplative rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Children
Fun read with the girls at bedtime.
Rachel
Good pattern. Bright illustrations.
Nov 08, 2009 Sarah rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: kids
Another book we loved!
Alison
While I think "We're going on a Bear Hunt" was better, my little guy LOVES lions and has asked to read this book every night since we checked it out of the library a week ago. He even can tell me what happened afterwards and will ask me before we read it "are you scared, mommy?" It's adorable.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Tip Tip Dig Dig
  • Katie Loves the Kittens
  • Tiger Can't Sleep
  • The Perfect Nest
  • The Busy Tree
  • Pouch!
  • Who Took the Cookies from the Cookie Jar?
  • Ready for Anything!
  • Down by the Station
  • Rattletrap Car
  • Who Ate All the Cookie Dough?
  • There Was An Old Monster!
  • Roly Poly Pangolin
  • Tacky Goes to Camp
  • Blue Goose
  • Tanka Tanka Skunk!
  • Birds
Margery Cuyler is the author of many books for children, including From Here to There, The Little Dump Truck, and That’s Good! That’s Bad! The idea for That’s Good! That’s Bad! was inspired by a conversation with her son, Thomas, who asked, "Can't bad things change into good things?" Ms. Cuyler grew up in the oldest house in Princeton, NJ, and started writing stories as soon as she learned how to ...more
More about Margery Cuyler...
Skeleton Hiccups That's Good! That's Bad! The Biggest, Best Snowman 100th Day Worries Hooray for Reading Day!