Start by marking “Castle of Wizardry (The Belgariad, #4)” as Want to Read:
Castle of Wizardry (The Belgariad, #4)

Castle of Wizardry (The Belgariad #4)

4.16  ·  Rating Details ·  55,406 Ratings  ·  489 Reviews
A magnificent epic set against a history of seven thousand years of the struggles of Gods and Kings and men - of strange lands and events - of fate and a prophecy that must be fulfilled!

THE BELGARIAD

It had all begun with the theft of the Orb that had so long protected the West from the evil God Torak. Before that, Garion had been a simple farm boy. Afterward, he discovered
Published September 21st 1984 by Corgi (first published 1984)

To ask other readers questions about Castle of Wizardry, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Castle of Wizardry

Minh
Jun 24, 2011 Minh rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Garion gets a shock and Ce'Nedra gets a personality.
Wanda
This fourth installment of the Belgariad series plunges in exactly where the previous volume left off—there is no exposition, no reminding the reader gently what came before. Fortunately, everything is simplistic enough that even my menopausally-challenged memory was able to fish out the necessary details within the first chapter, the circumstances slowly coming back to me.

I have to say that Belgarion is a frustrating hero. He never seems to catch on to what is happening in his own life and he e
Jack Iles
Dec 27, 2013 Jack Iles rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Since I departed on this journey I noticed that The Belgariad series subtly lends itself to Chess. This is evident in the titles, 'Pawn of Prophecy', 'Queen of Sorcery' and so on. However David Eddings never openly acknowledged the series' overarching theme regarding the centuries old game. He weaves a love for the game within this beautiful series in more ways than the titles. The movement of the whole series begins to unfold just like a game of chess. The first book was the game's opening, est ...more
Stephen
3.5 stars. Fourth installment of the Belgariad. Not quite as good as the previous entries but still a good, solid read.

One final note: I listened to the audiobook narrated by Cameron Beierle and he did an excellent job with the series.
Jim
Jul 24, 2016 Jim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The characters are all there & are coming into their own, but otherwise there's not much to say. These books must be read in order & as a set of 5. I was happy that this book kept up the pace & I blew through it quickly. On to the final one.
Stephen

Julie
Jul 14, 2010 Julie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: scifi-fantasy
Ariana
Eh, probably the least interesting in the series. I am not a fan of the way the Ce'Nedra is treated throughout this book, and Polgara is at her meanest, in my opinion.
Savantfool
Aug 16, 2015 Savantfool rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: unfinished
It does not often happen that I put a book away midway.

I have read the past 3 installments in a matter of weeks.

But with each book my annoyance has grown.

It is painfully obvious since book one who Garion is. To everyone but him and C'Nedra.
+That is not even the problem with the book.

It is the blatant dislike the reader has to form to two major charcters. Whereas Pol started as the good Aunt protecting Garion it has become more and more clear that Garion means only a prophecy to her. She car
Diane ~Firefly~
Sep 17, 2016 Diane ~Firefly~ rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Shelves: fantasy, wobble
As I've stated before, I love this series. This book has a lot of good thing happen in it that will unfortunately be balanced out somewhat by the price of war in the last book. I find Ce'Nedra's dilemma interesting although I'm not in love with the idea that our destiny is decided before we are born, which seems to have been a theme that is really brought home in this chapter.

Now the companions have rescued the orb and need to return it to Riva, where Garion will finally come into his birthright
Bradley Prior
Nov 19, 2016 Bradley Prior rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
M.J.
Feb 20, 2014 M.J. rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, sf, nostalgia
"Castle of Wizardry", the penultimate book in Eddings’ Belgariad series, is another bridge novel in the manner of "Queen of Sorcery". While the second novel in the series was really just a sequence of connected vignettes, Wizardry benefits from more developed relationship complications and some internal struggle. However, the narrative weakness of the overarching prophecy storyline (and a general lack of real momentum) hamper the book.

After retrieving the stolen Orb from the minions aligned wit
Vasya
Mar 20, 2011 Vasya rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Harry Potter fans
Castle of Wizardry left me a little short on all the information I would love to have at the moment, but I guess that's just because I'm a bit greedy here.

The big culmination point that I was waiting for from the beginning of book one, Pawn of Prophecy, is here - Garion finally knows who he is, what he must do and he's got to get used to that idea really, really fast. I liked that part of the book a lot, but after that I got a little bit confused. The prophecy tells us that the Child of Light an
Kirsty (Amethyst Bookwyrm)

The companions have retrieved the Orb and are travelling to Riva, to return it to its rightful place. On the journey back, with both Belgarath and Polgara incapacitated, the role of leadership is thrust on Garion, which is made difficult with the Orb fascinated with him. When Garion arrives in Riva, his life changes forever, but Torak is still out there and waking up. Garion discovers he is the only one who can defe
Dayna
Dec 30, 2015 Dayna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The fourth book in the Belgariad series and another instance in a long line of rereads over the years. This has long been my favorite book in the series, because this is where a heap of the action lies, prophecy comes to fruition, and everything starts to coalesce.
One of my favourite things about this book is Relg and Taiba. They’re a fascinating, lovely couple and it’s great to see them begin to establish their profound relationship. One of my all time favorite quotes from this series comes fr
Nicolo Yu
Oct 16, 2011 Nicolo Yu rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Castle of Wizardry sets up the last book of the Belgariad perfectly. We still have the continued character growth of Garion. He is no longer the sullen and whiny child. He matures, especially once he realizes his role in the Prophecy that guided their journeys so far, and decides that he may be the only one who can do it.

Ce’Nedra has also grown, especially once she realizes her title as an Imperial Princess means little among her companions. To get what she wants, he uses her smarts and charm to
Lydia Presley
May 23, 2012 Lydia Presley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Just when I thought things were going to comet to some sort of conclusion.. David Eddings throws me for a spin with the ending of this book.

But I get ahead of myself -

In Castle of Wizardry Belgarion finally comes into his own - sort of. The prophecy peaks, things we, as readers, have known since the first and second book are revealed (and the characters are surprised by them? Really?). I suppose it would have helped, also, to have the prophecy revealed at the start of each book so we could see
Eric Moreno
Nov 15, 2010 Eric Moreno rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Matt
Sep 09, 2016 Matt rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another fun romp through a world of careful detail, sorcerors, and destiny. Like many large and entangled plots, now that the end is drawing near, many things start to make a great deal more sense.
Hien
Sep 03, 2008 Hien rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Reading "The Belgariad" is like eating a bag of potato chips. It's just a lot of empty calories but it's hard to put down. This is your basic kitchen boy who finds out he's destined for something greater story. The characters are all cardboard cutouts and totally predictable. It's still very entertaining and I would recommend it whole heartedly. For something much more meaty, try Martin's "A Song of Ice and Fire" series.

Wayland Smith
Feb 18, 2015 Wayland Smith rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was just a phenomenal series. I read it years ago, and, being honest, I can't recall which book had which events anymore, but I know I read them all, twice, I believe.

This series has epic fantasy, gods, powerful wizards, swordplay, and a great sence of humor.

Strongly recommended.
Rebecca
Aug 01, 2016 Rebecca rated it liked it
It's amazing how dense Garion can be, and I get tired of the all-knowing or stupid female dichotomy presented in this series. But still a fun ride as always.
Lornian
3'5.
Sigue siendo un libro bueno, pero me ha gustado algo menos que los tres anteriores. No me gusta cómo está siendo tratada Ce'Nedra ni el tema del libre albedrío.
Christopher
Nov 04, 2014 Christopher rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Review to come! :D
Kalthea
Nov 13, 2014 Kalthea rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
un peu foulli au début, la seconde moitié du roman rattrape le coup
Mark Oppenlander
The story picks up immediately after the events of the previous volume (Magician's Gambit) with our party of adventurers escaping from the fortress of Rak Cthol in possession of the Orb of Aldur. Their flight takes them across hills and mountains and the plains of Algaria. They must make it to the Isle of the Winds and the city of Riva by Erastide with the Orb in hand to fulfill the Prophecy. It is in this book that Garion - in some horror - finally realizes his destiny. Ce'Nedra too must come t ...more
Pauliina Savola
So. The story I like. But this book is slow and I hate the female characters: they're vain (boohoo I have not enough boobs), stupid, deceiving, unstable or derive their joy in life from only motherhood or pretty clothes. Towards the end Ce'nedra becomes more tolerable but that doesn't do enough to save. Is it really too much to ask for one decent female character? (Polgagra doesn't count, in the books the kings don't consider her a woman which seems to equal being sain). I know this book is a bi ...more
Tpinetz
The series is finally shaping up to its finale. This book mostly fills in as a setup for the last book. We get to learn more about magic and the quest they are on. The main characters are mostly well written, witty and a joy to read about.

The main negative aspect about this series are the underdeveloped villains. We mostly meet them and then they get defeated, without any stakes. The only real difference is the chief of the grolims, who is a bit more intimitating.

Still the villains are the mai
M Cuchens
Dec 26, 2016 M Cuchens rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
As the fourth installment in this series I sort of expected a lull in the narrative, or perhaps some focus lost. Thankfully that didn't occur.
While there isn't the action of Magician's Gambit to keep me interested, there's the attention paid to Garion, the orb, and Ce'Nedra, which is all done very well to me, and never left me feeling like I was trudging through to the end. Also, all the heroes make one or more appearances so you know they're not forgotten amid the hubbub over the orb, the Riva
HeyT
Nov 30, 2016 HeyT rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-books
I think this is almost my favorite book of the series. We finally meet the orb as a character and it's so cute and very scarily powerful. I also love that things are starting to fall into place and of course poor Garion finally gets let in on the prophecy and why he's been so important. I just love all the big reveals and how the aftermath plays out. I think that the orb and Ce'Nedra are probably my two favorite characters and we really get to see them shine in this installment.
Goodreads Librari...: Castle of Wizardry 3 20 Jan 19, 2015 08:24PM
Kindle Version 8 42 Sep 26, 2014 02:06AM
The Nerd Herd: Castle of Wizardry 1 6 Feb 22, 2014 01:47PM
  • Servant of the Empire (The Empire Trilogy, #2)
  • The Hand of Chaos (The Death Gate Cycle, #5)
  • A Man Rides Through (Mordant's Need, #2)
  • Sunrunner's Fire (Dragon Prince, #3)
  • Days of Blood and Fire (The Westlands, #3)
  • High Deryni (The Chronicles of the Deryni #3)
  • To Green Angel Tower (Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn, #3)
  • The Elf Queen of Shannara (Heritage of Shannara, #3)
David Eddings was an American author who wrote several best-selling series of epic fantasy novels. David Eddings' wife, Leigh Eddings, was an uncredited co-author on many of his early books, but he had later acknowledged that she contributed to them all.

David Eddings' first books (which were general fiction) sold moderately well. He later switched to writing epic fantasy, a field in which he achie
More about David Eddings...

The Belgariad (5 books)
  • Pawn of Prophecy (The Belgariad, #1)
  • Queen of Sorcery (The Belgariad, #2)
  • Magician's Gambit (The Belgariad, #3)
  • Enchanters' End Game (The Belgariad, #5)

“As soon as somebody falls in love, all the wits seem to dribble out of the bottom of his head.” 68 likes
“Garion started shaving. "Try to keep away from your nose," said Hettar wryly. "A man looks quite strange without a nose.” 44 likes