Start by marking “King and King” as Want to Read:
King and King

King and King

Once there lived a lovelorn prince whose mother decreed that he must marry by the end of the summer. So began the search to find the prince's perfect match and lo and behold......his name was Lee. You are cordially invited to join the merriest, most unexpected wedding of the year. KING & KING is a contemporary tale about finding true love and living happily ever after, ...more
Published March 1st 2003 by Tricycle Press (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about King and King, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about King and King

Jubilation Lee
Upside of King & King:

When the prince meets the other prince and the two fall madly in love, it’s seen as being totally normal. Not a single character comments on the fact that it’s two dudes—they’re just rejoicing that the prince is happy and is getting married. This is pretty awesome.

Also, apparently this is the first picture in a children’s book of two guys kissing:

So shocking!!

Yay progress!

Downside of King & King:

Of COURSE the prince hooked up with Prince Lee! Dear God! The women in
Chelsea
Apr 28, 2016 Chelsea rated it really liked it
Yay, now my kids can read M/M romance with me :-D

I love that this story is just the classic fairytale plot line but with two princes at the end. I think not changing it up from the typical Disney HEA makes it much easier for younger kids to understand the normality of gay relationships.

Unfortunately the pictures didn't appeal to my kids (or me) very much so they weren't completely engaged.
Katy Vance
Mar 01, 2011 Katy Vance rated it it was ok
After reading this book, I was honestly a little disappointed. The premise seemed so fantastic that I really wanted to like it. And the artwork is fantastical, which made me want to like it even more. But the thing I am reminding myself of, is that as we get more and more lgbtq themed children's literature, some of it is bound to be just okay. And this book was okay. It's nice that their is the premise that a Prince could like and fall in love with another price. But I would have a liked a ...more
Kaethe
Aug 09, 2015 Kaethe rated it really liked it
I didn't especially care for the art, but that isn't really the point. I encouraged the local library to lay it in after a local teacher was fired for reading it aloud to his class. Of course, this was before the Supremes handed down their decision which permitted all consenting adults to choose whomever they want to marry. I have no sympathy with bigots pushing their discrimination in public schools, and I hope that teacher earns a really hefty settlement from the state for wrongful firing.

I wi
Ezekiel
Apr 29, 2012 Ezekiel rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: No one.
King & King tells the story of a young prince whose mother (the elderly Queen) would like to retire and demands he marry in order to take the throne (whut???). The Queen sends letters to all the local princesses to get them to come and basically audition to become Queen. Apparently the Prince is gay however, as he falls in love with the Prince that accompanies his sister to audition. There's a happy wedding.

BLAH BLAH. This is a "pro-gay" book in one of the most misogynistic ways possible (an
Nisha Patel
Aug 30, 2012 Nisha Patel rated it really liked it
This beautifully illustrated story is about a young prince whose mother is fed up of him and wants him to get married. The queen brought forward many princesses from far and wide but here was absolutely nothing and nobody that sparked any attraction between them and the young prince. One day a young princess comes along to meet the prince with her brother, “the prince felt a stir in his heart . . . It was love at first sight." (The princess, of course, looks confused.) The story tells of a ...more
Michelle Knudsen
Mar 01, 2009 Michelle Knudsen rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-book
Ashley Chance
Jan 21, 2013 Ashley Chance rated it liked it
'King and King' is a story about a Prince who lives with his mother, the Queen. The Queen has had enough of her son’s bachelor lifestyle and decides to confront him about wedding plans. After some deliberation the Prince agrees to wed and the Queen hastily makes arrangements for courtship with Princesses near and far.

The Prince meets many Princesses’ but none of them seem to make him happy. Suddenly one more Princess arrives, Princess Madeleine and her brother Princess Lee. The Prince’s heart le
Ashley
I definitely liked where the story went. And I appreciated that it showed the fact that sometimes you just can't help who you fall in love with; however, the artwork was something I was not a fan of at all. I just couldn't get into it and most of the time I felt like a child drew the pictures (may be quite harsh but that's how I felt).
Jenny
Jan 10, 2008 Jenny rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
When a prince is forced to marry by his mother the old Queen, he’s not too happy. Princesses come from around the world to meet the Prince and none of them are quite right. But just when the Queen and the Prince begin to think that all is lost, Princess Madeline shows up with her brother Prince Lee, and things take an unexpected, happy turn.
De Haan and Nijland’s crazy mixed media collages provide just the right background for this heart warming story of a Prince forced to marry against his will
Nicole
Feb 24, 2015 Nicole rated it it was amazing
My personal reaction to this book was I thought King and King was a great information book for young children. For example, showing that having two kings is okay really highlight how everyone can love someone different and they do not have to look or be a certain way.

The purpose of the book would be for read aloud enriching purposes. This would be suitable for first grade.I think this would be a good book to read when we are talking about family or how every family can be different. Kind and Ki
Maria
Aug 03, 2015 Maria rated it really liked it
I read this book because it is a very frequently challenged children's book. The story is about a Queen who decides to retire, so she tells her son, the Prince, that it's time for him to get married and take over as King. She calls princesses from all around the world to come meet the Prince, but he doesn't like any of them. Instead, he falls in love with Prince Lee, so they get married and rule the kingdom together as King and King so the Queen can enjoy her retirement.

Obviously, this book gets
Jennie
Apr 13, 2008 Jennie rated it really liked it
A prince begins seeing suitors in order to appease the queen. After several visits by eligible princesses, the prince sees someone who catches his eye – a handsome prince.

While I loved the premise of this book, the illustrations are hideous. The drawing styles of the two artists are incompatible and inconsistent – leaving wacky collage style pages that are grotesque and ugly. However, the story is adorable and it’s a nice book for teaching tolerance to children. The two princes’ marriage is tre
Jonathan
Sep 04, 2016 Jonathan rated it did not like it
Shelves: picture-books
So let me see if I have this right. We want a gay prince love story, so the way they go about that is by making fun of almost all the women in the book? This is terribly disappointing.
Sarah Wiwchar
Jun 13, 2016 Sarah Wiwchar rated it it was amazing
Again, a very good follow-up book to Tango, A tale of two moms, and A tale of two dads about a prince who "never cared much for princesses." Also, the queen is a fricken hoot. I like the style of the pictures and the way the words are displayed on the page. I am very happy and excited to say that after reading a few gay/lesbian books, the grade 1s now just say randomly "because it's ok for a boy to marry a boy!" And I just say "yes it is" and that makes me super happy!
noelle
Jan 04, 2013 noelle rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: for curious
Shelves: children, lgbtq
If I were a kid, I would have not liked this. Main reason? The drawings are just awful... The story's kind of simple an boring (I prefered Andersen and brothers Grimm). And all poor princesses are shown as quirky creatures... I smell something misogynistic.

For me it is not a controversial, just boooring stuff.
If you want to read somenthing so called "pro-gay" I recommend "And Tango Makes Three".
Samuel Graham
May 02, 2016 Samuel Graham rated it it was amazing
A contemporary version of the traditional tale of a prince looking for his princess and ending up finding true love instead. I give it 5 stars because the authors give voice to a group that is often marginalized in children's books, especially of this genre.
Hannah Mary
Nov 17, 2015 Hannah Mary rated it it was amazing
Similar to Cinderella however when the prince meets many princesses he finds none take his heart. King falls in love with another Prince and they live happily ever after.
Sarah Clarke
banned book
a prince's mother wants him to marry so she brings many princesses to the castle for him to consider marrying. In the end, the prince ends up marrying another prince.
Pertinacia
Dobrá, mamá, ať je tedy po vašem. Ještě jsem ale nepotkal princeznu, která by se mi líbila.

Tuto knížku jistě nemusím dlouze představovat - o "první homosexuální pohádce na světě" toho již bylo v českých médiích napsáno a řečeno mnoho. Diskutovalo se o ní dokonce celé roky předtím, než vůbec vyšel její český překlad. Někdo ji považuje za zvrácenost, jiní ji oslavují jako zcela výjimečné a přelomové umělecké dílo. Podle mého názoru není ani jedním.

Příběh je skutečně velmi jednoduchý. Celá knížka m
Marquez Harris
Oct 18, 2016 Marquez Harris rated it really liked it
Shelves: lgbtq-text-set
This book is about a prince who is forced to find a princess to marry because the prince's mother wants to retire. Princesses from all around the world come to the castle in hopes of being the prince's suitor. However, the prince turns down all the princesses because none of the princesses interested him in a romantic way. By the end of the book, the prince falls in love with another prince that happened to come with one of the princesses. The princes eventually get married.

This book would be co
Ivie Drake
Oct 19, 2016 Ivie Drake rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lgbtq-text-set
This book is a great fantasy to read to children. It's about a young prince who is suppose to get married and become king. His mother sets him up on several dates with different girls, but he just wasn't happy with any of them. When the last girl comes, she comes with a boy. The prince's eyes are immediately set on him. He finally found his perfect match. Eventually, the prince and the boy get married and are beyond happy.
I think this is a great to read to young student, because not only is the
Nynke
Oct 29, 2016 Nynke rated it really liked it
3,5 stars; because while I loved it and it did many things right, it also got some important things wrong.

Most problematically, especially for a children's book, there were severe racist undertones (and in case of the Princess of Mumbai, more like overtones) in the way the princesses were presented.
The princes, especially the nameless protagonist prince, felt almost too stereotypically portrayed, which was a shame.

The illustrations were certainly original, and often I really liked them, but some
Fiorella Morzi
Nov 29, 2016 Fiorella Morzi rated it it was ok
The illustrations are peculiar and intriguing for sure. Very different kind of art, especially in children's picture book form.

I wanted to love it so badly, hoping it would be unabashedly pro-LGBTQ, but it did fall short. I love that gay love is represented, however I felt (like others here) that racism, sexism, and misogyny intersected in the story's telling, knocking off stars and knocking off its potential to truly be rooted in principles of social justice.
Laurel
This is a sweet, short story that would be great for storytime with preschoolers. I'm not a fan of the illustrations, so that knocked my review a star. Still, I highly recommend this book to those seeking queer reads for the young. Did I mention there is a Crown Kitty?
Shyana Marie
Sep 18, 2016 Shyana Marie rated it liked it
Shelves: 11-20
Type: banned, fiction
awards: none
summary: This book is about a prince who is about to be a king, because the queen is old and needs to "retire" The queen has many princesses from all over come and show the prince their talents and personality. The prince wasn't amused with any of it. Finally a princess came with her brother, prince Lee. The prince fell in love immediately and got married to prince Lee. At the end of the book everyone was accepting and happy, including the queen and they lived ha
Leslie Medrano
Sep 14, 2016 Leslie Medrano rated it did not like it
Genre: Fiction
Format: Children's picture book
Awards: None

Summary: There was a young prince named Bertie. His mother, a cranky Queen, was tired of ruling and wanted her son to take over the responsibility of ruling the kingdom. However, before he can rule, he had to find a princess to marry. Different princesses would come to the castle to meet the Prince and would perform various talents. The Prince was not at all amused or impressed. However, when Princess Madeleine came to see the Prince, she
PictureBooks Review
Oct 23, 2015 PictureBooks Review rated it really liked it
There's a manic energy in this picture book. It is a cacophony of collage and jarring color schemes. The first page announces the premise:

"On the tallest mountain above the town lived a queen, the young crown prince, and the crown kitty. The queen had ruled for many years and she was tired of it. She made up her mind that the prince would marry and become king before the end of the summer."

Pretty straightforward, as picture book fantasies go. To describe the opening illustration, which offers an
Giorgos Georgiou
Jul 02, 2014 Giorgos Georgiou rated it really liked it
King and King is a book written by Linda De Haan and illustrated by Stern Nujland in 2002. King and King is a non traditional/modern fairytale with a difference. The story is about a Queen who would like to step down and allow her son to take the thrown and marry a princess. In preparation for this the Queen lines up a number of eligible princesses for her son to meet and marry. The princesses have a wide variety of skills and talents but non of them interest the prince. It is not until a ...more
Carla
Feb 04, 2016 Carla rated it really liked it
I quite enjoyed this....

From School Library Journal:
Grades 3-5--In this postmodern fractured fairy tale, a worn-out and badly beleaguered Queen is ready for retirement. After many hours of nagging, the crown prince, who "never cared much for princesses," finally caves in and agrees to wed in order to ascend the throne. Their search for a suitable bride extends far and wide, but none of the eligible princesses strikes the Prince's fancy, until Princess Madeleine shows up. The Prince is immediatel
  • The Sissy Duckling
  • Oliver Button Is a Sissy
  • Jacob's New Dress
  • Morris Micklewhite and the Tangerine Dress
  • Be Who You Are
  • Los Mejores Colores/Best Colors (Anti-Bias Books for Kids)
  • It's So Amazing!: A Book about Eggs, Sperm, Birth, Babies, and Families