Start by marking “Psychopath (Frank Clevenger, #4)” as Want to Read:
Psychopath (Frank Clevenger, #4)

Psychopath (Frank Clevenger #4)

3.83  ·  Rating Details ·  1,205 Ratings  ·  86 Reviews
12 bodies, 12 states. What no one knows is that the "Highway Killer" is also a gifted psychiatrist who lures his victims into a false sense of security with his miraculous ability to understand their darkest emotional secrets. He is their confessor, but he is also their executioner. When the killer writes to The New York Times, challenging famed forensic psychiatrist Frank
Published June 1st 2004 by St. Martin's Paperbacks (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Psychopath, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Psychopath

Angie crosby
Aug 13, 2008 Angie crosby rated it it was amazing
Shelves: alex, thriller
Awesome book. very well written. I felt sorry for Jonah, even as I wanted him to stop killing. I wanted him to stop and not be caught. Very good at making me feel for the killer. I loved the letters written back and forth between Jonah and Clevenger. I also liked how Clevenger was trying to do the right thing by a kid from a previous case. Good second story line. As the bodies continue to pile up the FBI calls in Clevenger to help catch a killer. The killer writes to the NY times inviting Cleven ...more
Carrie
This book was recommended to me as an example of an antagonist done well--in other words, a three-dimensional bad guy. And I agree, the reader really gets into the guy's head. In the novel, a psychiatrist who's a serial killer seeks the help of a well-known forensic psychiatrist, Frank Clevenger, who the FBI has hired to find him. The cat-and-mouse nature makes for a page-turning read.The fact the author is a forensic psychiatrist himself makes the characterization even more riveting. I
Adrienne
There was so much potential to this book, in fact it was the first two chapters that I read for free online that convinced me to check this out at my local library. I thought finally an original, or at least new, approach to a serial killer and the inevitable trophies. But oh how was I mistaken...

The opening of the book leads the reader to believe that Jonah Wrens, the Highway Killer, is collecting an unusual type of trophy from his kills, something untraceable and what would have been brilliant
Nik
Jul 15, 2011 Nik rated it liked it
Shelves: audio-books
**MILD SPOILERS**

This book was fun. I liked the idea of psychiatrist versus psychiatrist. However, psychiatrist as a psycho killer is unnerving in the most uncomfortable way. I like this book until the last 45mins. It was rushed at the end. It like Ablow got impatient with his own story and decided to move it along when he should have drawn it out a little. I wanted more of Jonah versus Fletcher. I wanted more McCormick and Fletcher, too. It was just rushed at the end. Otherwise it was enjoyable
Christina
May 12, 2011 Christina rated it did not like it
Oh my God, so boring!
When I looked for psychological thriller, I didn't really imagine it would be too, uh, psychological. This book is about a brilliant killer and a psychologist who pretty much are hunting each other, and they challenge each other and heal each other through letters on a newspaper. A public newspaper psychological consultation, in other words. The only thing worth paying attention to is the actual murders and the search of this murderer. A lot of bull.
Peter
Jan 05, 2008 Peter rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: idiots and crazies.
this guy's supposed to be good? Blah. Blech. I love schlocky fiction, but this isn"t well done. Slow in parts that shoudl be fast and fast in parts that shoudl be slow. Implausible in ways that even a huge sci-fi fan like myself couldn't overlook.

Filled with psycobabble that even I could tell was poorly written.
Rose
Jan 24, 2008 Rose rated it it was amazing
Shelves: serial-killers
Any of these books with the character Frank Clevenger are awesome!!! A forensic psychiatrist with great empathy, uses these skills to become close to the killer emotionally to understand their minds. With each case, comes huge personal growth for our lead character that you come to love for all his human shortcomings. Highly recommend.
Joy
Sep 11, 2009 Joy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you're interested in psycho thrillers and mind games, this one's for you. This book just don't want to be put down, you have to read it to the end once you've started it.
Jessica Welch
Jan 24, 2010 Jessica Welch rated it really liked it
Enjoyed the back & forth between the two therapists. My kind of book, enough real science to make the fiction fun.
Kayrob
Apr 12, 2009 Kayrob rated it liked it
I'm surprised this book got such good ratings. I found it predictable. The only question I had was, where and when.
Jan
Aug 23, 2016 Jan rated it really liked it
Serial killers are nothing new in mystery fiction. Keith Ablow gives the title character of his novel a chilling spin, and lets the readers see through a window into the killer's twisted, mind. The Highway Killer (Jonah) roams from one town to another, choosing victims at random. He's attractive, intelligent, cultured, a nurturing psychologist who travels from hospital to hospital. He is overwhelmed by a dark urge to kill. . There's no way to track him and no way to tell who he will attack next. ...more
Linda  Branham Greenwell
The Highway Killer travels the highways of America killing when the compulsion becomes unbearable but he always gets his victims to trust him and talk to him so he can get inside their defenses before he delivers the fatal blow. He has killed 14 people, men and women, young and old with no discernible pattern.

The FBI is getting desperate so they call in forensic psychiatrist Frank Clevenger as consultant. Frank Clevenger has recently adopted a boy, Billy, who had been tortured by the father in a
Manfred Moonlight Ackermann
Un livre assez bien écrit, où l'intrique se déroule à un bon rythme, progressivement, ni trop vite, ni trop lentement.
On s'attache très rapidement aux personnages, l'auteur n'hésitant pas à dévoiler leur côté psychologique, qui fait que l'on se rapproche tout de suite beaucoup plus vite aux intéressés.
C'est une bonne approche de l'auteur, car par cette mise en scène, on arrive à s'immisser dans la tête du psychopathe, et on se sent happé par sa psychologie, à vouloir en savoir toujours plus, o
Mare Kinley
Jun 04, 2014 Mare Kinley rated it it was ok
Shelves: just-no
Like the stars say, "It was OK." I freely admit to my fascination with serial killers and the very fine line which separates sociopaths from "normal" people. On that level, this book was better than OK; on that level it gets the full three stars for "I liked it." However, the prose was...well...less than lyrical. Less than OK. Closer to...plodding. While I was perfectly wiling to believe the killer as a character (albeit a little flat), the crime-solvers were completely cardboard. I didn't care ...more
Helen
Mar 14, 2011 Helen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Insightful psychological thriller, intensely focussed on the inner world of the killer in question, as one might expect from a novel written by a forensic psychiatrist. Unlike some novels in this genre, the killer was a deep and complex character, and although the perpetrator of horrendous crimes, was one I did actually feel for in some strange and distant way.
At some points I did feel as though I were reading a psychology text-book, but as the hunt for the killer heats up towards the end, the t
Umut
Nov 04, 2015 Umut rated it liked it

Okumasam da olurdu diyebileceğim, ikinci sınıf Amerikan filmlerinin senaryolarını andıran bir kitap. Klasik bir geçmişi problemli bir seri katil ve onu yakalamak isteyenlerin hikayesi. Bu planlanmış bir şey midir bilemem ama kitabın basitliği sayesinde bir iki günde bitirebiliyorsunuz. (384 sayfa) Konsantre olmayı veya üzerine yoğunlaşmayı çok gerektirmediğinden otobüs yolculukları veya tatilde okumak için ideal. Benim gibi bir arkadaştan hediye yada marke
Lorraine
Feb 20, 2014 Lorraine rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I think this was an absolutely top-notch novel. The amount of sympathy - morbid sympathy, perhaps, but sympathy nonetheless - that the author was able to evoke for Jonah was incredible: it's understandably rare to find a story featuring such a deeply sensitive, emotional, and even guilt-ridden serial killer. I loved Jonah so much that I expected to be disappointed when the book moved to different plots, like Clevenger's surrogate parenthood for Billy, but I actually enjoyed those just as much. E ...more
Smruthi Rajan
Jul 25, 2016 Smruthi Rajan rated it it was amazing
This is my favorite of all of Keith Ablow's books.
A psychopath explained through a story with simple, meaningful language. This book was equally educational as it was engrossing. Through Jonah's character, Keith Ablow addresses many existential questions and leaves the reader pondering not only about the story but life too.
Keith Ablow shows many layers of the highway killer and beautifully explains his disturbed, chaotic mind.
I picked this book up randomly in a book sale and it is my top 5 read
Ronald Wilcox
Apr 04, 2015 Ronald Wilcox rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fourth in a series featuring Dr Frank Clevenger, a forensic psychiatrist. This time he is brought in by the FBI to help find a killer called the Highway Killer who had killed twelve people in twelve different states over a three year period. The killer challenges Clevenger, through letters published in the New York Times, to help him get better by very public psychotherapy in the Times. Well written, empathetic protagonist, and suspenseful. Will try to get the previous three in the series to rea ...more
Elizabeth Cornett
Jan 16, 2011 Elizabeth Cornett rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this book! I was interested from the first page to the last. I loved going inside a killers mind, how independent and alone they are, I love how Jonah was hungry to kill, he was anxious if the didn't. His blood would pump, his hands would twitch, he had to kill, if his victims didn't let him in. This book really triggered my intrest in, and I wouldn't mind to become a detective if I had that much action.
Deborah Mitton
Jul 24, 2012 Deborah Mitton rated it really liked it
Excellent read. Fast pace interesting characters. 3 stars is an author doing his/her job of entertaining the reader. 4 stars is an author who goes beyond entertaining and allows the readers to lose self for a short time in the characters. 5 stars in an author who has the talent to completely take us to another place or time,and/or enter the thoughts and movements of his characters and haunt our memories thereafter.

Barış Erdem
May 07, 2013 Barış Erdem rated it liked it
Kitapta hem psikopatımız Jonah Wrens'in hem de detektif Frank Clevenger'in yaşadıkları eş zamanlı olarak aktarılmış.Psikopatın anlatıldığı bölümler etkileyici ve kitabın okunmasını sağlıyor, ancak detektifin anlatıldığı bölümler bir takım ilavelerle renklendirilmeye çalışılmış olsa da çok sıkıcı. Polisiye gerilim türünde katilin baştan belli olduğu kitaplar sürpriz bir final de içermiyorsa hiç çekilmiyor.Bu kitap da öyle ne yazık ki.
Tatjana Faith
Jun 28, 2013 Tatjana Faith rated it really liked it
Author background in forensic psychology/psychiatry lends to the authenticity in the plot and it is an excellent read, I had a difficult time putting it down, however, the ending I felt was 'rushed' and a tad to 'pat' and 'contrived'. I almost expected more and felt the ending missed the mark by a bit.
Maria
Apr 28, 2012 Maria rated it really liked it
The author has a really good in depth knowledge of his characters. That comes from his forensic psychiatry background. So who really is the psychopath: son or mother or both? How could such cruelty be inflicted upon other human beings? That is a question I have asked myself since I was 11. Even though this book is fiction, these are the types of questions I asked myself throughout my reading.
Jan
Jul 09, 2013 Jan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, thriller
Another author it took me awhile to "find" and I'm thrilled to add another keeper to my list! Psychopath is a non-stop psychological thriller that keeps you right on the edge. Frank Clevenger is a forensic psychiatrist invited by the FBI to identify and locate a serial killer who just happens to be a respected psychiatrist with an overly twisted mind.
MusicalMarian
Oct 22, 2008 MusicalMarian rated it liked it
Shelves: adults
This was not my normal reading choice. I asked a friend for a book, and this was what she came up with. It was good, but there was something missing. Maybe the pace could have been faster. All in all, en"grossing."
Jamey
Oct 01, 2016 Jamey rated it liked it
I liked this story because I like pretty much anything to do with behavioral health, but I felt like it could have been much better. If it had more depth to the characters and the individual story lines I think it could have been much more interesting. It felt rushed to me.
Randomboredom
Nov 12, 2008 Randomboredom rated it liked it
Wasn't bad. Had me from the start but I found a tad loathesome at certain points. The relatioship between the main character and the leading lady was dull and totally unexciting and really seemed without true merit.
Marie
Nov 22, 2009 Marie rated it really liked it
This is part of the Frank Clevenger series. I loved that the protagonist (Frank) is flawed and not just from the cookie cutter variety, which is usually the norm. In this story we get to see inside the mind of the killer also, and it is surprisingly also not what you would expect.
Naomi
Mar 27, 2011 Naomi rated it really liked it
Dysfunctional Criminal Psychiatrist stalking serial killer psychiatrist...just good stuff. Need I say more! If this is how Dr. Ablow writes fiction he should really abandon writing any non-fiction. He does fiction better!
  • Fear Itself
  • Trust Me
  • The Prosecution
  • Girl 4 (January David #1)
  • A Garden Of Vipers (Carson Ryder, #3)
  • The Closer
  • Das Wesen
  • Sea Change
  • The Third Translation
  • Die Reinheit des Todes (Julius Kern, #1)
  • Deviant Ways
  • Somewhere Between Water & Sky (Shattered Things, #2)
  • L'Âme du mal (La Trilogie du mal, #1)
  • The             Rome Affair
  • Each Angel Burns: A Novel
  • Live Bait (Monkeewrench, #2)
  • The Barbed-Wire Kiss (Harry Rane, #1)
  • Web of Deceit
Keith Russell Ablow is an American psychiatrist, New York Times best-selling author, and television personality.
More about Keith Ablow...

Frank Clevenger (7 books)
  • Denial (Frank Clevenger, #1)
  • Projection (Frank Clevenger, #2)
  • Compulsion (Frank Clevenger, #3)
  • Murder Suicide (Frank Clevenger, #5)
  • The Architect (Frank Clevenger, #6)
  • Infam / Ausgelöscht

“...the horrific fact that our lives and those of the people we love are impermanent and exquisitely fragile, that any of us can cease to exist without warning, that loving anyone, anywhere, at any time, leaves you infinitely vulnerable at every single moment. (20)” 6 likes