Start by marking “Tapping the Power Within: Introduction to Self-Empowerment for Black Women” as Want to Read:
Tapping the Power Within: Introduction to Self-Empowerment for Black Women

Tapping the Power Within: Introduction to Self-Empowerment for Black Women

A guide to the empowerment of African-American women offers techniques for achieving spiritual growth and renewal by tapping the power within, teaching African American women to rid themselves of self-destructive thoughts. Original.
Published May 1st 1992 by Writers & Readers Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Tapping the Power Within, please sign up.

Kagiso yah, I got one from Riverwalk exclusive books

Aisha
Jan 07, 2012 Aisha rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
Great book to establish structured spiritual practices. It almost felt like I was reading an instruction manual on harnessing my faith and centering myself. Definitely a good read - especially if you are exploring ways to approach ritual & religion outside the structure of a church or temple
Toni Brown
Aug 24, 2011 Toni Brown rated it it was amazing
This book changed my life.
Chris
Jan 13, 2014 Chris rated it it was amazing
Very good book. I was especially interested to find out why this book was specifically addressed to black women. I found that for the most part it's for all women. I was captured by each chapter and really didn't want to put it down but paced myself so that I could take it all in. I am going to go back to the chapter on forgiveness and do what she suggests. It can't hurt. Fabulous job on this one. Highly recommend as she has great insight and stories that we all can learn and take away from.
Catherine Green
A practical reminder of how we all live a spiritual life every day.

This book was written by Iyanla Vanzant, who is a Yoruba priestess and an ordained minister in Christian New Thought. I found the book very easy to read, and her tone was informal and inspirational. She is basically a human just like the rest of us, who has had unique experiences throughout her life that have shaped her spiritual beliefs and general attitude. The book was helpful in making me realize that my own spiritual journey
Sharon
This a book to read for personal development and it is also a workbook, with techniques and exercises to apply to your own life, so you have to apply the ideas and then go back to the book and reread the specific chapter to see if you have understood the principles. It is abook to which I will refer often in a hope to master the changes I want to make in my life. I recommend it!
Valerie Love
Oct 23, 2008 Valerie Love rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Love this book! Written poignantly, with a forthright voice from one of my favorite authors. Honest, bold, well written, it's a beautiful book. (This is the new version...20th year anniversary edition.)
Amy Sullivan wilkinson
Mar 18, 2014 Amy Sullivan wilkinson rated it really liked it
She has now updated this book and it now for all women! Wonderful book, would like to reread soon.
Kate Rog
Feb 12, 2017 Kate Rog rated it it was amazing
Read this last summer and absolutely LOVED IT! So much truth inside.
Kim
Apr 15, 2015 Kim rated it really liked it
Shelves: spirituality
Whatever ails you starts and ends with you. It's a hard pill to swallow, but taking it requires one to look at oneself and examine why you are in the situation you are in? I also enjoyed the CD that comes wtih the book, and the book referred me to Byron Katie's "Loving What Is", because I love Katie's car analogy on what to do with your grown children. Sorry folks, I can't give it away: you have to read the bookS (capitol "S" intended) and enjoy the point yourselves! Happy reading and self-refle ...more
Rebecca
Aug 22, 2008 Rebecca marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I just saw her on Tavis Smiley last night. I read "One Day My Soul Just Opened Up" about 10 years ago (a gift from a friend -- I finished most of it I think...) and would enjoy reading her again. Or maybe this is just like "The Secret," which was FLYING off the shelves when I worked at a big name chain bookstore in Indy. :)
Indigo Moon
Jul 08, 2013 Indigo Moon rated it it was amazing
YES read
Sananaa
Jul 08, 2009 Sananaa rated it it was amazing
This book didn't teach me how to meditate, but I did find it empowering. I had to try some other methods to feel like I understood meditation. Now, my favorite form is practicing Tai Chi.
Shalonda Williams
So many of us are unaware that we possess power within us. In this book, through her personal views, Iyanla shows us how to know it is there and how to "activate" it.
Pam
Oct 01, 2011 Pam rated it liked it
Motivational & Inspirational.
Katherine Love
Sep 12, 2008 Katherine Love rated it liked it
i learned about the blessing of the head and so many great things now she as her 20th anniversary edition out on shelves
Zafirah Muhammad
Jul 12, 2012 Zafirah Muhammad rated it it was amazing
this book is for all women.
April
Aug 02, 2010 April rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Powerful!
Odetta
I need to buy this book (this was a library loan) There are pieces that I want to keep returning to and read over with my growth. I truly enjoyed this read!
Evette Holloway
Jan 19, 2008 Evette Holloway rated it it was amazing
The process of healing and loving ourselves from the painful past experiences we have had as Black women and as hue-man beings.
Nzinga
Jan 13, 2013 Nzinga rated it it was amazing
This book saved my Life is what you make it. At 17 years old set me on fire. Must read.
Felicia Beckett
Felicia Beckett rated it it was amazing
Jul 22, 2013
Carmen Turner
Carmen Turner rated it really liked it
Jun 12, 2008
Elizabeth Ngope
Elizabeth Ngope rated it it was ok
Jan 04, 2016
Shannon Jennings
Shannon Jennings rated it it was amazing
Aug 07, 2011
Christi
Christi rated it it was amazing
Oct 03, 2012
Talisha Lee
Talisha Lee rated it it was amazing
Nov 13, 2012
Unique24
Unique24 rated it liked it
Mar 08, 2015
Damali
Damali rated it really liked it
May 10, 2014
Barbara
Barbara rated it it was amazing
Sep 19, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Men, Women and Relationships: Making Peace with the Opposite Sex
  • Delany Sisters' Book of Everyday Wisdom
  • Juicy Pens, Thirsty Paper: Gifting the World with Your Words and Stories, and Creating the Time and Energy to Actually Do It
  • Your Faith Is Your Fortune
  • Why Black People Tend to Shout: Cold Facts and Wry Views from a Black Man's World
  • The Uncommon Wisdom of Oprah Winfrey: A Portrait in Her Own Words
  • A Valentine Kiss: Cupids Bow\Made In Heaven\Matchmaker
  • Rocking the Babies: A Novel
  • And the Walls Came Tumbling Down
  • The Picture Bible
In Peace From Broken Pieces New York Times best-selling author Iyanla Vanzant she recounts the last decade of her life and the spiritual lessons learnedfrom the price of success during her meteoric rise as a TV celebrity on Oprah, the Iyanla TV show (produced by Barbara Walters), to the dissolution of her marriage and her daughters 15 months of illness and death on Christmas day. Like a phoenix ri ...more
More about Iyanla Vanzant...

“you pray for something and you do not see the answer, consider the following: (1) Is what you want good for you? (2) Will you or anyone else be hurt by your having it? (3) Are you ready for the responsibility of having it? If you can answer these questions affirmatively, and the answer to your prayer has not manifested, the issue is probably patience.” 0 likes