Start by marking “The Divine Center” as Want to Read:
The Divine Center

The Divine Center

A classic book available for the first time in paperback

All of us at some point search for an organizing principle in life, one that is simple without being simplistic, that offers enduring direction. The book introduces, explains, and illuminates such a principle - centering one's life on Christ. It examines twelve other "centers" and their effect on key dimensions of ou

Published December 1st 2004 by Deseret Book Company (first published January 1st 1998)

To ask other readers questions about The Divine Center, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Divine Center

Amy Hillis
May 17, 2009 Amy Hillis rated it really liked it
Shelves: lds-chrisian
While I struggle sometimes with the motivation to pick this book up, when I do, I am always enlightened and well-taught by the author.

It is never enough for me to hear, "Just read your scriptures, say your prayers, go to the temple, and don't forget to simplify!" For me, those phrases offer no motivation for my (pathetic, hard, small, little) soul to do and live and be better. This work eliminates those types of directives as it guides you to developing better relationships with our Savior and
Leanda
Mar 22, 2014 Leanda rated it liked it
I read it for the first section about perceptions and the concept of 'organising principles' and world views, etc. which I found of interest.

As the saying goes 'perception is reality' ... at least for that person. The more we realise that and start to understand that we need to look beyond the surface to where the other person is coming from the better off we all will be. Not that that was what the book was about but it's part of what I took from it. The book itself was basically giving you the
Alice
Apr 21, 2014 Alice rated it it was amazing
This book seriously inspired me to strive to become closer to God. When I first read this book, I was happy with myself. I was praying sort of regularly, once a day; I was reading my scriptures sort of regularly; we were holding Family Home Evenings sort of once in a while; I was going to the temple sort of regularly. In other words, I was sort of doing what I was supposed to - just not with full purpose of heart.

I did not want to change. I liked how life was. I knew if I read this book, I woul
VeeDawn
Dec 21, 2015 VeeDawn rated it really liked it
The book's summary says, "All of us at some point search for an organizing principle in life, one that is simple without being simplistic, that offers enduring direction. The book introduces, explains, and illuminates such a principle - centering one's life on Christ."
Stephen R. Covey is very thorough and sometimes even repetitive as he explores many areas where people sometimes center their lives and why he believes the God/Christ relationship is the one that works to help you in all the other
Greg
Throughout my life I have sought balance between career, family demands, spiritual duties and needs, and my other activities and desires. Sometimes I have even been successful. The Divine Center addresses the need, not just for balance, but for putting all of life into proper perspective by centering our thoughts, desires, and activities on Jesus Christ.

To the extent that I have done so, I have found peace and direction in achieving that balance that I so desire. It has often come at the expens
Rebecca
Sep 24, 2011 Rebecca rated it it was amazing
Shelves: gospel-themes
I'm a big fan of Stepen R. Covey's books.

Here's a synopsis of this book: All of us at some point search for an organizing principle in life, one that is simple without being simplistic, that offers enduring direction. The book introduces, explains, and illuminates such a principle – centering one’s life on Christ. It examines twelve other "centers" and their effect on key dimensions of our lives: our security, guidance, wisdom, and power. Although those other perspectives offer some value, only
Cynthia Bower
I probably read this the first time in the mid-eighties after going to BYU education week and hearing Covey lecture on these principles which he had yet to get published. That man is incredible in person and I have my copy of this book all marked with underlining and little topical bookmarks. I keep it handy as there are so many great references to how to balance our lives and center our values and life choices on our Father in Heaven and His Son Jesus Christ. We often get side-tracked on other ...more
Louise Hartvigsen
Jul 21, 2012 Louise Hartvigsen rated it really liked it

I pulled this book off my shelf to reread in honor of Stephen Covey, who died this summer. He wrote this before his highly successful 7 habits books, and some of his themes are similar. Parts of it seem a little dated, but overall I found it still provides a helpful way to view life and the choices we must make. The most impactful thing I learned (and still remember) from when I originally read this book had to do with Christ being our advocate with others, but only if we react to challenges wit
Nov 08, 2010 Sarah rated it really liked it
Shelves: self-help, religious
I have been meaning to read this book for a while after a trustworthy sister in RS said that everyone should read it. I COMPLETELY agree. The only reason I marked it a 4 is that I didn't feel that the author always spoke my "language". I found myself having to re-read (because I really didn't want to miss out on any of the marvelous information) paragraphs after my mind would wander. In all honesty I'm not sure if this was due to his writing or to my fuzzy-pregnant brain that I keep blaming ever ...more
Marion Stewart
Apr 10, 2008 Marion Stewart rated it it was amazing
I think this book may be out of print by now but phenomenal work! I like it better than his Seven Habits. It is simply a great reminder to make God and Christ the center of our lives in each of our relationships. We need the centering more every year of our life and more and more as our world pulls us away from it. I have seen that change in my life since moving from the quiet country environment to more active world around me. It's a constant battle and this book is a great reminder of prioriti ...more
Chelsea
Aug 14, 2009 Chelsea rated it it was amazing
I just finished this book for the second time, and now know it will be a regular read for me. Stephen Covey has a phenomenal perspective on life, one which we can all learn from. He was able to remind me and in some respects, help me to realize the significance of having a God/Christ centered life. There is no other way to have a completely balanced life without making these Heavenly, perfected figures the center of our lives.
Tara
Nov 13, 2014 Tara rated it liked it
Shelves: church, audio-book, 2014
I had a hard time getting into this book. It took a hundred pages to make the point that you should center your life in God and Christ and nothing else. But then it delved deeper and I really liked it from that point on. Some of the things that really hit home for me are: we should treat our kids as investigators, even if we are late I should keep my cool while trying to get everyone to church on time, the principles of fasting are so cool!
Mike
May 30, 2015 Mike rated it it was amazing
Shelves: social, spirituality
I don't always like these "Covey" types of books, but I really did enjoy this one. He basically explains that all of the sources upon which we can center our lives can ultimately fail, except one. If we define our worth based on our job or social standing or a relationship or whatever, if that changes, we lose our foundation. If we are instead centered on the Divine, that will always provide a sure foundation regardless of what happens in this world.
Tom Sheppard
Aug 01, 2015 Tom Sheppard rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A must read for anyone who wants to understand the importance of building their life on "the Rock of Israel" instead of on the sand.

Covey points out the various good things we can use as the anchor point (center) for our lives. Then, he explains why only one of those centers will NEVER fail us.

I highly recommend it.
Lee
Aug 15, 2012 Lee rated it really liked it
When you consider we desire to become like our Father in Heaven what better way to get there than to first realize who we are and then using the knowledge and the divinity within drawing closer to the Savior through the Holy Ghost and ultimately drawing closer to our Father in Heaven. What a great journey.
Kaye
Nov 18, 2013 Kaye rated it liked it
Shelves: inspiration
I find Covey too much of a challenge for me - more discouraging than inspiring. I did like this quote, "Someone has said that repentance brings our conduct up to the level of our ideals, while rationalization brings our ideals down to the level of our conduct." Unfortunately, I am still at the rationalizing stage.
Liz
Jan 13, 2015 Liz rated it it was amazing
I love this book. I read it probably every few years. I've worn it threadbare. This is just an amazing book that will help you center your life on Christ. I love how it goes through different centers that we can put in our lives that will keep us from being fulfilled and happy. Read this book, it's amazing!
Rusty
Aug 21, 2010 Rusty rated it it was amazing
Shelves: religion
We are tossed from side to side if we don't have a secure center to our lives. On the other hand, I have seen too many church-centered or family-centered people miss the big picture by being bias with their own agenda. I love the idea of having a divine-center that is bigger than ourselves to be our anchor.
Jill
Jul 30, 2008 Jill rated it it was ok
Shelves: religious-misc, self
This book has a good point and premise, but I found it a little too repetitive. Also I can't read it without getting the feeling that the author is very impressed with himself, which I find extremely annoying.
Derek
Feb 20, 2014 Derek rated it really liked it
Shelves: self, geistig-kirche
I got a little lost doing the audiobook due to all the sections and numbering, but the concepts far outweighed the self-inflicted confusion. As always, precious wisdom from a principled--and spiritually minded--man who did all he could to spread goodness. Thanks, Stephen.
Muffi
Feb 15, 2013 Muffi is currently reading it
My mom swears by this book and the Kindle version is on sale right now for $2.99 . . . Covey is already my go-to guru for organization and career strategies, so why not add him to my list of emotional/psychological/spiritual gurus, too? :)
Nancy
Feb 17, 2009 Nancy rated it it was amazing
A great book about what we choose as the focal point of our lives, and whether it is going to work for us in all weather. The only completely dependable "center," according to the author, is Jesus Christ.
Allyson
Jul 29, 2011 Allyson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lds
I remember reading this book at the end of high school/beginning of college and really liking Covey's ideas about a balanced life, centered God & Christ. (This was published 7 years before the first publication of 7 Habits of Highly Effective People.)
Chip
Sep 19, 2008 Chip rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Chip by: Matt Christensen
Shelves: religious-works
Critical to understanding relationships. We can't be world centered, country centered, society centered, neighborhood centered, family centered, or marriage centered. The two great commandments were given in the order they were for a reason (well - at least one).
Deb
Dec 06, 2009 Deb rated it it was amazing
A good friend gave me this book when I was baptized in 1985. I am currently re-reading it and enjoying very much. Steven Covey has put several aspects of my life into proper perspective and reminded me that when I put God first, everything else falls into place!!
Vicky Gallman
Jan 14, 2009 Vicky Gallman rated it it was amazing
This book give great insight as to how we can center our lives on Christ and live in the owrld at the same time.
Kimberly
Apr 02, 2014 Kimberly rated it it was amazing
So beautiful. With every read, I'm able to refocus and recenter. Allows me to have a clear mind.
P.Marie Boydston
Nov 16, 2012 P.Marie Boydston rated it liked it
Some very good sound wisdom and principles to live by in this senseless world.
Aug 26, 2009 Laura rated it it was amazing
So far, very interesting! I like it.
Nancy Draughon
lots to contemplate-enjoyed the book.
  • Drawing on the Powers of Heaven
  • Faith Precedes the Miracle
  • Teachings of Presidents of the Church: Brigham Young
  • The Lord's Way
  • Teach Ye Diligently
  • The Mortal Messiah: From Bethlehem to Calvary, Book 3 (Mortal Messiah)
  • The Broken Heart: Applying the Atonement to Life's Experiences
  • Following Christ: The Parable of the Divers and More Good News
  • Ezra Taft Benson: A Biography
  • On Wings of Faith
  • Christ and the New Covenant: The Messianic Message of the Book of Mormon
  • Discourses of Brigham Young: Second President of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints
  • The Holy Secret
  • Book of Mormon Reference Companion
  • Counseling With Our Councils: Learning To Minister Together In The Church And In The Family
  • All These Things Shall Give Thee Experience
  • An Approach to the Book of Mormon (The Collected Works of Hugh Nibley, Volume 6)
  • Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith
Stephen Richards Covey was the author of the best-selling book, "The Seven Habits of Highly Effective People". Other books he wrote include "First Things First", "Principle-Centered Leadership", and "The Seven Habits of Highly Effective Families". In 2004, Covey released "The 8th Habit". In 2008, Covey released "The Leader In Me—How Schools and Parents Around the World Are Inspiring Greatness, One ...more
More about Stephen R. Covey...

“followed, almost any perception problem can be solved. So can most credibility problems, if one or both of the parties involved will realize that, at root, it is a perception problem” 0 likes
“I believe that days one and two for most of us involve getting more control over the body-such as getting to be early, arising early, exercising regularly, eating in moderation, staying at our work when necessary even when tired. Too many are trying to conquer higher weaknesses such as procrastination, impatience or pride while still being slaves to their appetites. If we can’t control the body and its appetites, how can we control our tongues, or overcome the emotions or anger, envy, jealousy, or hatred?” 0 likes