Start by marking “Squashed in the Middle” as Want to Read:
Squashed in the Middle

Squashed in the Middle

3.62 of 5 stars 3.62  ·  rating details  ·  39 ratings  ·  14 reviews
"I'm going to spend the night at Rosa's house," said Daisy. But nobody heard her.

Being a middle child isn't easy

Nobody ever listens to Daisy. Her father was chopping carrots. Her mother was talking on the phone. Her big sister was chasing her little brother around and around the kitchen table. So it was no surprise that no one heard where Daisy went, even though she told
Published May 1st 2005 by Henry Holt and Co. (BYR)

To ask other readers questions about Squashed in the Middle, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Squashed in the Middle

The picture on the cover says it all. There we see a close up of a girl with her head in her hands and heavy-lidded eyes all capturing the frustration of a girl who must certainly be the one who feels “squashed in the middle.” Through the bright, expressive pictures and humorous text, the author and illustrator convey exactly what a good contemporary realistic fiction book should: help us feel empathy for a character that might be going through the same thing we are (or someone we know). Even if ...more
Juliana Lee
Daisy's family not only doesn't listen when she speaks, they talk for her in public. Daisy is trying to tell them that she is going to spend the night with her friend Rosa, but nobody notices until she's gone. Finally, Daisy shouts to be heard and they realize that she can speak for herself.
Courtney
A young girl who is the middle child in her family is feeling ignored. Whenever she has something to say, no one seems to hear her. How can she make herself heard?

This was pretty good for a children's book. Shows how the middle child in a family can feel left out, or ignored.

Nice illustrations. Bright, cheerful colours and a more realistic style.
Mhaneman
This is a great story to give to a middle child if they ever feel left out. It follows Daisy, the middle child of her family, and how she feels when her family seems to ignore her for her other siblings. She finally gets their atention by sleeping over at a friends and when her family notices shes gone they acnowledge their unattentiveness to her and give her equal attention. The dialogue and illustrations were great in this book and complemented each other and the message the book gives about t ...more
Kira Richardson
Squashed in the Middle is about an African American girl who tells about the struggle and issues of being a middle child in her family. This was a great picture book that younger elementary students would enjoy. This book can tie in a family structure unit of social studies for Pre-K-1st grade. Students can discuss what they feel their role is in their family and how they see themselves as the youngest, oldest, or middle sibling.
Malissa
I love this book and will get my hands on a copy for my classroom soon! There are so many opportunities for teaching reading and writing mini-lessons (repeated lines, making connections, etc). This story will get lots of students thinking about their families and siblings. I had never heard of this book until it was on the Fountas and Pinnell Genre list. I'm glad I checked it out!
Stephanie Davis
The book is all about the typical middle child in a family. The child can sometimes be forgotten or ignored, but at the end of the day, the family really does love the middle child. The book displayed different groups of people, such as African Americans and Asians. I thought it was good for children to see that people from other cultures can have similarities between their families.

Lauren Barone
People of all cultures share many similarities, such as middle child syndrome. This book portrays a story of a young girl who is the middle child struggling to be heard over her large family. She feels unheard and left out as do middle children of many cultures. This book can be used to illustrate the similarities between cultures.
Sheniqua
This story talks about a little girl who is the middle child. She feel like she just doesn't belong in her family. This book could be used to discuss self esteem and to highlight individual characteristics that make each person very special in their own way.
Lisa
Being the middle child is hard ( I have one) so Daisy's story is one all middle kids can identify with. Love the illustrations.
Ashanti
Apr 28, 2009 Ashanti rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Celine
It was funny when Daisy sceremed at her family so they can hear her because they never listened to her
K.
This is a great book to remind us to stop and make sure that we are listening to all of our children.
Ashley
A picture book to teach kids about sticking up for themselves when they feel like no one notices them.
Susanna S571
A cute look at the plight of the middle child. Probably good for ages 3-8.
Cristin Mandaville
Cristin Mandaville marked it as to-read
Jan 30, 2015
ELIZABETH WINTHROP is the author of over sixty works of fiction for all ages.

Her most recent picture book, MAIA AND THE MONSTER BABY, with illustrations by Amanda Haley was published by Holiday House. TWINS, a picture book for toddlers with illustrations by Jane Massey, will be released by Two Lions/Amazon in 2015.

Writing as Elizabeth Winthrop Alsop, she has just published an ebook memoir piece en
More about Elizabeth Winthrop...
The Castle in the Attic (The Castle in the Attic, #1) The Battle for the Castle (The Castle in the Attic, #2) Counting on Grace Dumpy La Rue Vasilissa the Beautiful: A Russian Folktale