Start by marking “Daddy, Papa, and Me” as Want to Read:
Daddy, Papa, and Me

Daddy, Papa, and Me

3.99 of 5 stars 3.99  ·  rating details  ·  163 ratings  ·  49 reviews
Rhythmic text and illustrations with universal appeal show a toddler spending the day with its daddies. From hide-and-seek to dress-up, then bath time and a kiss goodnight, there's no limit to what a loving family can do together. Share the loving bond between same-sex parents and their children.
Board book, 20 pages
Published June 9th 2009 by Tricycle Press

To ask other readers questions about Daddy, Papa, and Me, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Daddy, Papa, and Me

Airiz C
Not so long ago, we heard about Peter Parnell’s controversial children’s book And Tango Makes Three, a true story about a pair of male Penguins in Central Park Zoo raising a chick. In its wake, many other gay-centric picture books were drawn and penned. Writer Leslea Newman and illustrator Carol Thompson created a twosome of such books, focusing on lesbian and gay parents separately.

Daddy, Papa, and Me is a simple glimpse at how two fathers care for their kid.

In artful mixtures of pastel-colored
Valerie Lurquin
I enjoyed this board book about a baby in a loving two father family. It uses simple text to describe the ways daddy and papa show this baby love through bed time. The illustrations continue to support the showing of love through bright, happy colors creating scenes of playing house together. A great aspect to the illustrations is that it eludes to a biracial marriage as well.

This book does a phenomenal job of showing children from single-sex families that their family structure is strong, happ
Kathleen
This is an enjoyable story of two dads at play with their young child. The family spends the day together and as with every family, each parent has different strengths and talents to offer the child. Together, they fit into a joyful, caring family. I love that this book is intended for a very young audience, I'd say toddler age. The illustrations are fun and comical, very age appropriate.
I think this book could/should be included in libraries simply as a wonderful and engaging story. As such, t
Alicia
Daddy, Papa, and Me is a very cute board book written from the perspective of a toddler who enjoys playing with and wearing out his two fathers. The book begins with the toddler saying, "Who wants to play with me today?" On each page Daddy and Papa play with their toddler in different ways, from playing the guitar, to baking a pie, to dressing like a clown and playing with cars. Since this is a board book filled with descriptive illustrations my assumption is that this book is intended for toddl ...more
Александр Невский
Вы что совсем с ума сошли???Вы пропагандируете людей давать детей на усыновления пидорасам и пидораскам чтобы те влияли на мировоззрение неокрепших разумом детей.Вы что стремитесь к само-уничтожению по средству прекращения размножения. Ведь на каждую такую семью.Будет минус три человека на земле.2 пидораса и дитя которое будет считать это правильным. А сколько таких уже на планете??Вы хоть думаете своей тупой башкой какой урон вы наносите будущему своими поступками??Вместо пропагандирования к но ...more
Shannon Alexander
This is a cute book that shows that there really is no difference in sexuality when it comes to parents loving their children. I like that the book did not have to explicitly state that Daddy and Papa were a gay couple. It just shows that they are the little boys dads by the actions that they do. They all play together and do various activities that any other average family would do.

I think this would be a good book to give to a child who needs to see an example of same sex parents in a picture
Elizabeth Sciarra
I thought that this book was okay, but it was not anything special in my eyes. This is the first time that I have had to read a book about how children adapt to gay parents and looking at it from a kids perspective. When I first picked up this book I thought it was going to explain to me how the child deals with it. But, I was wrong. I was very surprised when the book just went through what the boy did on one day with his Daddy and his Papa.

I thought that it was interesting that it did not exact
Chris Jones
The characters of this story include the child which is the narrator of the story and the two fathers, daddy and papa. This is a short and sweet book that was written by Leslea Newman who is an advocate for the LGBT community. She is also a lesbian herself and married to a woman. She has written several award winning books and this is just one of her many books. This book is told from the perspective of the child who is nameless and how they spend their time with their fathers. They play all thr ...more
Nicole
In the story Daddy, Papa, and Me, a toddler child narrates the things he does with his two dads. This book belongs in the children's book genre that deals with same sex parents. Many children can relate to this book because the parents do what parents do. They cook, they teach, they play, and they love.

With each turn of the page there is a new rhyme set. The narrator uses rhyme between the two dads. "Daddy helps me paint the sky. Papa helps me bake a pie." I will use this book in my classroom to
Megan Piero
This short narrative is a great story for early readers. It is told from the viewpoint of a toddler that spends the day with her two fathers. She calls one Daddy and the other one Papa. This story tells about all the fun things she gets to do with Daddy and Papa (ex. “Daddy helps me paint the sky. Papa helps me bake a pie”). As a literacy teacher, I will use this text to teach my children about rhyming words and rhyming phrases. As you read the book, each phrase on the left page rhymes with the ...more
Betsy
What is the purpose of your average everyday board book? It's not really a crazy question. In the history of printed literature, board books are relative newcomers. I mean, books for babies and toddlers? A radical notion! Yet parents who start reading to their kids early find that their children are better readers later on down the road. As a result, sometimes board books are simplified adaptations of already existing picture books, and sometimes they are written with the intention of beginning ...more
Lisa C
Like it's predecessor, Mommy, Mama, and Me, the strength of this book is in describing a very average home-life. This one happens to have two men as parents -- a reality that is as un-expressed as it is irrelevant. Told from the child's point of view, Daddy and Papa take on various roles in playing and caring throughout the day until everyone is worn out at the end. An excellent introduction to LGBT households for any family that cares to promote equality in all its forms.
Esther
Published June 14th 2009 by Tricycle Press
Interest Level: Pre-K-K

This is a board book about a same-sex couple and how they interact with their child. Although this is not a book that is for older students, it is an interesting book that allows for the exploration of an uncommon theme and topic. The problem with this board book is that some of the illustrations stereotype each parent to a certain "gay parent" type. One scene has the father who wears dress shirts teaching the child to sew and the
Rebecca Ashley Teague
This rhyming board book, Daddy, Papa, and Me, tells the story of two daddies and their small child. The book shows the two daddies spending time with their toddler. The daddies participate in various activities with the toddler such as playing hide and seek, baking cakes, playing dress up, and giving kisses goodnight. This book contains rhythmic text throughout. Therefore, I could use this book in my classroom to teach students about rhyming words. This text can be used to teach about same sex p ...more
Michelle Marcano
Newman, Leslea, and Carol Thompson. Daddy, Papa, and Me. Berkeley, CA: Tricycle, 2009.

Subgroup: same sex families

Genre: Poetry

Topics: Family, same sex families

Synopsis: This easy to read picture board book focuses on a little boy who has two daddies, one of them who he refers to as "papa" and another who he calls "daddy". In this book the little boy describes his days with both his daddies using rhyming words like "strum" and "drum". He does everything from throwing a ball to playing the drums.
Mersiha Canovic
Similar to her other book "Mommy, Mama, and Me," this story shows a family of two dads and their child doing everyday mundane activities. It's a wonderful book to introduce to children when talking about different family make-ups and differences in general. It's great for preschool and kindergarten aged children.
Jonathan Balun
I read this book right after Mommy, Mama, and Me. This is the next book in the series. The text is simple and the pictures are beautiful. A child and his two fathers spend the day together playing. They go to the park, they play dress up, they play instruments, and have a great day together. Nothing in this book could even be considered offensive. It is surprising that it keeps getting banned. Just like Mommy, Mama, and Me, this book can be a great tool for teaching children diversity and tolera ...more
Jorie Karafa
I think that this is a great book! Children need to be introduced to the different types of families seen in our world. This would be an especially great choice for a child who has two fathers. Then, they can see that their family is just like the one in the book: full of love.
I read this version and the mommy and mama version. This books would be nice to have in the event that I have a child who has either 2 fathers or 2 mothers. The point of the story is that a family is a family and that one's gender identity/preference does not affect that person's ability to love their child.
Jessie
I really like this book, it is a good way to show your children that there is not just one type of family. Families can be as different as the people that make them up, we should focus on how much love we feel from them. This book does a great job of showing us how much the daddies love their child, they do many things together, including hide and seek, dress up and bath time.
Amy Rae
Another darling board book from Lesléa Newman. As with Mommy, Mama, and Me, I'm not the hugest fan of the illustrations, though.
Ashley Enlow
This short picture book addresses two loving men who want only the best for their child! They are all three a happy family. I think that this book would be great for any ages especially for those struggling with this topic.
Michelle at Booksmykidsread
What made this book stand out to me was the fact that it is about a two father family. My initial thought when my daughter pulled it off the shelf at the library was that it was about 3 generations and I was pleasantly surprised. Not the most fabulous book in the world, but a wonderfully normal look at a slightly different type of family. Great to see that it didn't make a big show of it at all.
Garren
A decent board book. I haven't been enthusiastic about any board books yet, but this one is definitely up to the usual standard of that format.
Kellee
The perfect board book to read with Trent today! (Though we actually read it before the ruling.)
Caitlin
A baby and her two daddies star in this sweet book about all the fun things families do together.
529_Gary
This book gives us a look at a young child who is growing up with two daddies. It shows us the different activities that they do together. The ending is cute because the child tucks in the parents and kisses them good night. This is a board book and is perfect for preschool age. This book shows illustrations of the dads and we can see what they look like compared to "A Tale of Two Daddies" were they don't show there faces.

This book is good to use in a lesson about different types of families. Th
Sumayyah France
Daddy, papa, and me displays the daily routine of a toddler with his two fathers. He goes from playing hide-and-seek and dress up to eating dinner and going to sleep at night. Newman shows how a family with same sex parents can perform the same daily routines as any other family.
Marissa Garcia
Rather cute age appropriate board book featuring a two father family.
Hannah Jefferson
This book made the Rainbow Book List in 2009. The criteria for the list each year is "quality books with significant and authentic GLBTQ content which are recommended for people from birth through eighteen years of age." This book, although simple, fits these criteria wonderfully. It's a story about two fathers spending quality time with their child. The beauty of this story is that it doesn't make a big deal of the parents' genders; by not making it an issue, the parents' relationship with the ...more
Ёпте 2 2 Mar 13, 2015 12:57AM
  • Our Gracie Aunt
  • Where Willy Went
  • Dad, Jackie, and Me
  • I Know Here
Lesléa Newman (born 1955, Brooklyn, NY) is the author of over 50 books including Heather Has Two Mommies, A Letter To Harvey Milk, Writing From The Heart, In Every Laugh a Tear, The Femme Mystique, Still Life with Buddy, Fat Chance and Out of the Closet and Nothing to Wear.
She has received many literary awards including Poetry Fellowships from the Massachusetts Artists Fellowship Foundation and th
More about Lesléa Newman...
October Mourning: A Song for Matthew Shepard Hachiko Waits Heather Has Two Mommies Fat Chance Jailbait